Policy on WDW Bus sytem?

vette9898

Earning My Ears
If I am staying at one of the Downtown Disney Hotels (Doubletree) am I still able to use Disney's Bus system?

Well....yes and no. There was recently a thread about this on the transportation board that was answered by a WDW CM (bus driver).

What it comes down to is you can use the transportation to go between a park and a resort for a restaurant or just to look around. But you are not supposed to walk to DTD and grab a bus. If you want to go to a resort you are supposed to take the DTD Resorts bus to a park or the TTC and transfer there.

They generally don't ask for WDW resort ID's, but they can if they feel that the system is overtaxed and WDW resort guests complain and can deny you passage if you don't have a WDW resort ID or pass which gives unlimited use of the WDW transportation system.

Hope that didn't confuse you. I guess the bottom line is that it depends on your exact situation.

Anne

I always read that you also have use of the WDW transportation system if you have Park Hopper tickets...not just a single day ticket. Is this the case?

I was also under the impression that hopper passes gave unlimited use of WDW transportation, and have done it many times. I stay at the DTD resorts, and walk to the marketplace, and use the transportation to get to the resorts, and have never had a problem.

The bus driver ducklite referred to ("Chip 'n Dale Express", AKA Tyler) said the transportation granted with the PH was supposed to be limited to park-to-park transportation in conjunction with your park hopping. He said WDW deliberately discontinued the direct DTD to park buses to discourage people from parking at DTD or walking from the DTD hotels to DTD and then using the buses to get to the parks. But like as been mentioned, as long as the system isn't being over taxed, it's very unlikely they would ask for your ID.

I just got off the phone with Disney Reservations and the woman said there was no problem using Disney's Bus system to get to different Hotels for dinner and what not.

I'd say the CM on the gave you the informal practical answer. I'd agree that you "won't have a problem" riding a bus to a resort restaurant. If you want more detailed info on this, I'd recommend going to the Transportation Board and asking Chip 'n Dale Express directly. He can give you the low-down a lot better than any of us, or a random guest relations CM. The bottom line appears that Disney doesn't want you using the WDW buses to avoid paying the park parking fee if you're an off-site guest.

Update: After reading up from past posts from Chip 'n Dale Express, I realized there's another aspect I forgot. Holders of PH passes with Plus features are allowed to use the buses to get to DTD (for Disney Quest) and the water parks.

Here's what Chip 'n Dale Express had to say on this subject.
Imo, he's the ultimate authority around here as far as transportation issues go.....

Theme park and TTC buses to/from Downtown Disney were discontinued for this specific reason. Too many people were clogging our buses instead of using the ones provided (for DTD hotel guests). This made it difficult for our resort guests (the ones who paid for the bus) to get to Downtown Disney.

It should be noted that although we do not check ID's, Downtown Disney buses are technically only for Disney Resort guests. Park Hopper tickets only allow for park hopping transportation.

Disney discontinued the DTD/TTC & park buses to prevent people from parking at DTD and going to the parks, thus circumventing the $7.00 parking fee. ($6.00 at the time of the change) This was the most reasonable way that we could discourage "cheating" of the system. Ultimatly, there will always be some way to cheat the system...

Folks who have ultimate Park Hoppers, that include admission to a water park or DisneyQuest DO have a right to use the DTD bus, regardless of if they are staying off-site. Most often, these are guests who are using off-site shuttle buses that do not service the DTD area.

Lastly... remember... this is DISNEY. If a guest needs to get somewhere, we're going to help them. Period. That's just the Disney way.

IMHO, the most important thing he said was in the last paragraph....:D

That would be the same as when I go to tell my kids something and they complete the sentence for me. Chip n Dale it shows we remember what you post. :) :) :)

Originally posted by Chip 'n Dale Express
Looks like I've replied to this post without even typing a thing... LOL :)

You're not going to sue me for some copyright thing are you??;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter