Pokemon GO In the Parks?

Wow. I didn't even know Gyarados were something you could catch in the wild! Luckily for me, our local Pokemon hotspot is also a Magikarp nest so I got my Gyarados the old fashioned way...amassing 400 Magikarp candies and evolving it.

It's funny, we're on a "Disney break" but once the kids found out that Cinderella Castle is a Gym, they instantly wanted to go to Disney just to fight in the castle. LOL! I told them we were paying $$$$$ for a Disney vacation just so they can play a game we play at home for free! I need to learn not to share so much Pokemon knowledge with them.
I had control of that gym for all of 10 seconds, long enough to get a picture as proof :D

I had control of that gym for all of 10 seconds, long enough to get a picture as proof :D
Wow! My DH is looking forward to playing Pokemon there! LOL! I could him sneaking there at night just to battle after DS2 is sleeping :P

Last edited:

I think the longest I've ever held the castle was 30 minutes. At one point, I was able to hold all 5 MK gyms, but it didn't last long. The only way I was able to get them all was by playing at closing on a slow night. No one can take the gym if they can't reach it :)

To take the gym? All you need is dedication in taking the current leaders down. To hold it for any length of time, 1600+ seems to be ideal.
oops I misread the question, you are right. I thought the poster was asking the CP for the person holding the gym

oops I misread the question, you are right. I thought the poster was asking the CP for the person holding the gym

If you're trying to be the top leader, then that's also a useful number :) Especially if you are training to open a slot on a friendly gym. Those with the high CP leaders take forever to get into

Ok thanks, my highest Pokemon are around that, some less...my husband has some that are almost 3k so that will help us!

I think the longest I've ever held the castle was 30 minutes. At one point, I was able to hold all 5 MK gyms, but it didn't last long. The only way I was able to get them all was by playing at closing on a slow night. No one can take the gym if they can't reach it :)

We took a gym that's in the middle of our local mall and unreachable from outside right before closing on Monday and I held it for 20 hours and about 20 minutes before it was taken from me. I was bummed! So close to getting some more coins!

I don't want to start another thread debating the merits of playing this game on vacation at WDW, but I wanted to ask what pokemon you have caught at Disney and where are the best places to hunt... We don't plan to play during rides, but it could be great for time spent walking around the park, waiting for parades or reservations, waiting for shows to start, or in long lines. We might also play this on the morning safari in AK, which would probably be far less noticeable to other people than taking hundreds of photos like I did last time. LOL.

My daughter and I play this together, and it would be great to see some things other than the pidgeys, rats, spearows, wheedles, catterpies, paras, and venonats that are so common in our area. We especially want dratini/dragonaire/dragonite, lapras, or snorlax, but some drowzees, doduos, clefairies, seels, geodudes, or fire type pokemon would be a fun change of pace.

Any suggestions for the best places to hunt at WDW? And does anyone know if Port Orleans Riverside has pokestops and many pokemon spawning there?

Thanks!

I don't want to start another thread debating the merits of playing this game on vacation at WDW, but I wanted to ask what pokemon you have caught at Disney and where are the best places to hunt... We don't plan to play during rides, but it could be great for time spent walking around the park, waiting for parades or reservations, waiting for shows to start, or in long lines. We might also play this on the morning safari in AK, which would probably be far less noticeable to other people than taking hundreds of photos like I did last time. LOL.

My daughter and I play this together, and it would be great to see some things other than the pidgeys, rats, spearows, wheedles, catterpies, paras, and venonats that are so common in our area. We especially want dratini/dragonaire/dragonite, lapras, or snorlax, but some drowzees, doduos, clefairies, seels, geodudes, or fire type pokemon would be a fun change of pace.

Any suggestions for the best places to hunt at WDW? And does anyone know if Port Orleans Riverside has pokestops and many pokemon spawning there?

Thanks!

Pidgeys, Rattatas, Spearows, Weedles, Catterpies, Paras, and Venonats are all pretty common in the parks
If you haven't been able to evolve a Gyrados yet, Magikarp are also plentiful
Dratini aren't super common, but I have caught enough to evolve into a Dragonair
I have yet to see a Lapras on property. Only 1 Snorlax, and a few of the others you listed
Fire and ground types seems to be fairly rare in the area - but that's probably a geographical thing

Every park and resort has several gyms and a ton of stops. You will definitely be able to fill up your bag very quickly with just a quick walk. I haven't spent a ton of time playing at resorts, but that seems to be where some of the less common types show up

Thanks!
many,many pokestops everywhere. I have found some great pokemons at Epcot, Grand Floridian and Disney Springs. If you want to evolve your magikarp hang out at Disney Springs and you can get a lot of candy for that.
I caught my first Pikachu at Epcot by Spaceship Earth, I cannot remember where I caught the other good ones on your list. I live in Orlando so it could've been around my house or at the parks

didn't see any Geodudes but I caught several Onix at the Boardwalk. Slowpoke are also plentiful around Epcot. Enough of those can get you a Slowbro and I have 2 that are strong now. Did see Slowbro himself pop up at times but couldn't catch him so I had to evolve mine.

also got a bunch of Dratini.

Where are you finding dratini? My sons and I are looking forward to playing while there this month.

We would also like a few more pikachu.

Wow. I didn't even know Gyarados were something you could catch in the wild! Luckily for me, our local Pokemon hotspot is also a Magikarp nest so I got my Gyarados the old fashioned way...amassing 400 Magikarp candies and evolving it.

It's funny, we're on a "Disney break" but once the kids found out that Cinderella Castle is a Gym, they instantly wanted to go to Disney just to fight in the castle. LOL! I told them we were NOT paying $$$$$ for a Disney vacation just so they can play a game we play at home for free! I need to learn not to share so much Pokemon knowledge with them.

Yes, lol. In all seriousness though, I'm not going to lie, it was pretty annoying having my son and a couple others in our travel party, constantly on their phones playing this.

Most of my Dratini came from Disney Springs but I got a couple at Epcot and my nephew caught me one in Virginia yesterday.

one of my Slowbros helped hold the gym at Epcot Italy for over an hour about a week ago.

Thanks, everyone! I don't have onix yet, so I may have to find an excuse to visit the Boardwalk. Perhaps the day we arrive since we won't be entering the parks until the next morning... And I would LOVE to catch some dratini! Where have you found them? I have only found 2 so far, even though I'm often near lakes and see Slowpokes and Psyducks pretty often, and sometimes tentacool and tentacruel. I'm only a little over halfway to evolving a magikarp, though, so maybe I'll finally collect the remaining candies I need there.

I'm looking forward to the next update so that I can walk with a "buddy" and collect candies. At 1 km per candy for Pikachu, geodude, and the fairies, I should finally be able to evolve Pikachu and Clefairy. But dratini are 1 candy per 5 km walked, I believe, so that will take me an insanely long time to collect 119 candies if I don't catch more. And the 2 I have are pretty low level and not really good ones to evolve.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter