PO riverside or PO french quarter?

petitephlox

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,
We're trying to decide between PO riverside and PO French Quarter. Both look and sound great!
Initially we decided on french quarter- we have a 4 yo DD and figured its compact size was helpful, and she fell in love with the alligators in the pics, haha.
But I'm reading that FQ doesn't have discounts on rooms, usually?
What do you guys suggest? Is there any way to get a discount at FQ?

We were going to forego the dining plan (i'm a vegetarian and we figured we could be more frugal), and get groceries, etc. But is getting the free dining plan a way to save some money if we do stay at FQ (since we can't get a room discount)?
Is the free dining plan really free, haha?

I've stayed at Riverside and walked over to FQ every morning but haven't stayed there. Personally, I did not think POR was as big as most people tend to say it is but that is just me. I'm thinking if I had to choose between the two, I would just go with whichever one is less. I've not seen the rooms at FQ but I can't imagine they are that much different than at POR. As far as free dining, nothing is free, you are usually paying for for the room when you go free dining. For us, we've found that we come out much better with a room discount than with free dining since we do not eat as much as the dining plan allows for. I've tracked out of pocket prices for our food, eating whatever we want, whenever we want and we always come out better without the dining plan. When we had the dining plan we were not one of those type of families that felt we had to max it out so we didn't go for the most expensive thing on the menu, we just ate what we were interested in. We do the same out of pocket, we don't even look at the prices. We aren't huge dessert people, we tend to go more to the shared appetizer, which is not included on the dining plan. More often than not, I prefer an app and a salad instead of a huge meal any way unless we are eating the TS meal at lunch. We don't like having to be tied down to eating at a TS every day, there are some days, especially in the summer, when a snack from WS in Epcot suits us more for a meal. We hardly ever used our snack credits except for a grab and go breakfast, we just aren't snack in between meal kind of people.

Thank you! You are exactly like us, which is why I didn't think the dining plan was for us. :)
Can you use the pool at FQ if staying at riverside? Is it a far walk for a 4 yr old? :)

Thank you! You are exactly like us, which is why I didn't think the dining plan was for us. :)
Can you use the pool at FQ if staying at riverside? Is it a far walk for a 4 yr old? :)
You can use either pools... Riverside guests can use FQ pools and FQ guests can use Riversides pools. I have stayed at Riverside in the past and this summer we (myself, hubby and 2 year old daughter in one room), Father in law and mother in law in 2nd room... this year we are going to give FQ a whirl :)

Both resorts are great! I feel the biggest difference between the 2 is that POR is a bigger resort. It is very doable, but is pretty large. POFQ is a smaller overall resort, but is almost never included in Free Dining offers if that would affect your trip. You can't really go wrong with either one, just a matter of what is better for your family :)

Thank you! I'm still leaning towards FQ because of its smaller size and alligators (so appealing for DD).
Has anyone found good deals/discounts for rooms at FQ?

We have stayed at POR, in Alligator Bayou, in the mansions and in preferred rooms. We have also stayed in POFQ standard view. It's hard to for me pick a favorite because I've really enjoyed both resorts. POR is much bigger, and I like the preferred rooms a little better. There are four bus stops at POR and POFQ has one bus. We really enjoyed the bus service at POFQ. We did not have a long wait at anytime and the busses were not very crowded. POR's busses can get crowded and it can take a long time to visit all four stops, depending on which stop you use. POFQ unfortunately does not usually offer discounts. I have found that usually a standard at POFQ without the discount is around the same cost as POR Preferred rooms. You can save some money if you book POR standard view. Both pools are nice and you can use both. POR's pool is shadier. There is boat service between the two resorts and to Disney Springs. I liked both food courts. POR Food Court is larger, but POFQ has beignets. I am a fan of both Port Orleans Resorts, but I would have to give a slight edge to POFQ because of the bus service. Have fun! You really can't make a bad decision here.

Thank you! they both sound awesome. I think we're leaning towards POFQ this time because of DD being 4, but I also want to walk over and check out POR. :)

Hello there! We have stayed at and love both! We are going back to Riverside in March (shhhhh don't tell my kids it's a surprise pixiedust:) My advice, with a four year old would for sure be French Quarter. It is small, easy to get around, the pool slide is more tame, so more little kid friendly, and they are also nearing completion of a brand new kids splash area! And like your dd, I think those alligators are so darned cute :teeth: You can always take a walk or a boat ride over to RIverside to check it out too (The Yeehaw Bob Piano Show is so much fun for families) as a guest of either resort, you are welcome to use the facilities of either.

French Quarter gets my vote, but you can't really go wrong with either. They are both very lovely!

Have fun :flower3:

We love both - but the compact size of POFQ puts it a bit ahead.
We've had discounts and free dining there in the past, so you never know.

Awesome!! I'm really looking forward to our stay.
Calngavinsmom, have a great trip, I bet they'll be so surprised and thrilled!

So glad I saw this thread. I'm debating the same Question. I was leaning towards FQ because of the theme over RS but seems as though RS has more variety. Plus RS has the royal rooms, but I haven't even looked at the pricing yet.
Good to know that FQ works well with only the one bus.

What about food options at both, which wins out?

The biggest factor may be the room discounts. Seems like multiple sources are saying that FQ is usually not included in the room discounts.

One last question. I would prefer a river view room. Would I be correct in thinking that the river view rooms would be close to the buses, food court areas? Kinda like preferred rooms?

Hi everyone,
We're trying to decide between PO riverside and PO French Quarter. Both look and sound great!
Initially we decided on french quarter- we have a 4 yo DD and figured its compact size was helpful, and she fell in love with the alligators in the pics, haha.
But I'm reading that FQ doesn't have discounts on rooms, usually?
What do you guys suggest? Is there any way to get a discount at FQ?

We were going to forego the dining plan (i'm a vegetarian and we figured we could be more frugal), and get groceries, etc. But is getting the free dining plan a way to save some money if we do stay at FQ (since we can't get a room discount)?
Is the free dining plan really free, haha?

Also, last year we got the dining plan since the room discounts only applied to half our trip. I must say it's a good deal, but it's also not. You save a lot of money on the food not only at the resorts but also in the parks. But, without the food plan my wife and I would not have spent the same amount. Why? Because the amount of food you get is really too much. With meals, snacks, desserts, it' s a lot of food. So it's a great deal, but you feel overwhelmed trying to get in all the food each day.

We love both resorts I favor Riverside the wife favors French Quarter. FQ is building a new water play area for the little ones right next to the pool if that helps your decision. I've seen pictures of it and your daughter will love it.

While it's true that FQ usually doesn't get discounts, there was one that I got applied to our March trip. I don't think it's still available, but they do happen!

I am hoping for free dining at POFQ in the fall. Historically, is FQ left out of that discount?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter