• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please read if you've done 7 day Western...heartbroken family needs your help

pentex

DIS Veteran
Our family our 4 went on the Magic to Western Caribbean from July 15-22. This was the trip of our lifetime, something we saved for and looked forward to for a very, very long time. Something terrible has happened that has broken our hearts. You may be able to help us so please, please read on. To make it short, on the last night of the cruise, our secondary server accicentally dropped our digital camera after he insisted on getting all of us in a photo (I had only wanted my youngest daughter in the photo with the main server). The camera bounced off the chair and hit the floor. Both servers were very apologetic as I checked that no physical damage was done, i.e flash broken off, chip fell out, etc. To make a long story short, we learned the next time we turned it on that ALL of our photos are gone...we had went to WDW afterwards and their photo experts confirmed this but no-one offered us a bit of help. We are so down--every memory is gone.

If you have recently went on this cruise, maybe you could help us recreate a bit of a photo album, i.e.:
Scenery photos of Grand Cayman, Cataway Cay, Cozumel, KeyWest..
Photos (w/o people of course) of the ship, its decks, restaurants, clubs, pools, etc.
Characters
Captain
Turtle farm (this particularly is making my youngest upset)
Flying Dutchman @ Castaway Cay
Stack club for teens

Maybe you could do a good deed for a heartbroken family and e-mail any of those photos to me at pentek@optonline.net ?

I realize this would take time for you but it would mean so, so much to a good family so please try to help.

From,
Joan, Steve & girls :( :( :( :(

I am so sorry that this happened to you! :sad2: If I know these DISers like I think I do, your pictures will be coming shortly! I will be taking my first DIsney Cruise in MAy 2007 or I would lend a hand. I wish you the best of luck in your quest. :goodvibes

I'm attaching as I type. They're not resized, though. I didn't want to change the quality.

I know you'll have boatloads of pictures coming in soon!

I'm sending you some pics of the Flying Dutchman...

You can probably still recover your photos! Don't reformat your cf card or memory stick. Don't take any more photos on it until you try a data recovery. My husband has retrieved "lost photos" on a cf card using SanDisk Rescue Pro. He says there are many other similar type programs or you can take your card to a data recovery place and pay them to recover the photos. There have been cases of cf cards washed and dried in the laundry and the photos being rescued. Don't give up! I am crossing my fingers that your images are all really still there even if they appear to be gone!

That's so sad. I hope you get a lot of help. We haven't been on this cruise before, so can't help you there.

I am sorry this happened. I have recently purchased a Lexar SD Card and I noticed it said on the package "Availabe Image Recuse service to recover lost or deleted images" so, I have went to the web site and found that you can purchase the software for $30.00. I will email you the link I used.

I just came back from the July 15-22 Western also. I will try to get pics to you. I am not very computer savvy but I will try.

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that, and I know you feel awful and I hate that happened. :sad2:

I hope someone help you and send you lovely photos. pixiedust:

Next time, bring two cameras with you, that what I do :thumbsup2

Scottishwee35

pentex said:
Our family our 4 went on the Magic to Western Caribbean from July 15-22. This was the trip of our lifetime, something we saved for and looked forward to for a very, very long time. Something terrible has happened that has broken our hearts. You may be able to help us so please, please read on. To make it short, on the last night of the cruise, our secondary server accicentally dropped our digital camera after he insisted on getting all of us in a photo (I had only wanted my youngest daughter in the photo with the main server). The camera bounced off the chair and hit the floor. Both servers were very apologetic as I checked that no physical damage was done, i.e flash broken off, chip fell out, etc. To make a long story short, we learned the next time we turned it on that ALL of our photos are gone...we had went to WDW afterwards and their photo experts confirmed this but no-one offered us a bit of help. We are so down--every memory is gone.

If you have recently went on this cruise, maybe you could help us recreate a bit of a photo album, i.e.:
Scenery photos of Grand Cayman, Cataway Cay, Cozumel, KeyWest..
Photos (w/o people of course) of the ship, its decks, restaurants, clubs, pools, etc.
Characters
Captain
Turtle farm (this particularly is making my youngest upset)
Flying Dutchman @ Castaway Cay
Stack club for teens

Maybe you could do a good deed for a heartbroken family and e-mail any of those photos to me at pentek@optonline.net ?

I realize this would take time for you but it would mean so, so much to a good family so please try to help.

From,
Joan, Steve & girls :( :( :( :(

I'm so sorry to hear that. We too were on this cruise. I will email you pictures that we have.

Check out the bottom of my signature and click on my 2 links. Please feel free to copy anything you want from these. One site has ship pictures only, at the end are some very cool pics of the Flying Dutchman.

You can either download to your computer and print directly from your computer or you can just purchase them from the site. It's very reasonable, I think 19 cents for a 4 x 6 or something like that and you can choose any size.

I'm sooooo sorry. I can not even imagine. Dh took appr. 800 pictures. I hope you are able to put something together. Did you check the cruise meet board from your cruise? Maybe someone there might have "accidentally" got you in their pics.

did you contact DCL, they might be able to help you? Perhaps Shutters would have some family photos of you all ?

My heart goes out to you, and your family.

We arer only doind the 4 night wonder in Oct, so I cant help with pictures, however my Dh said take card to a specailist camera shop,who might be abe to help.

good luck

I am so sorry to hear about your photos. I would try a phot recovery center like the other posters stated first, you still might be in luck of recovering the photos. It worked for us on my brothers wedding pictures. :thumbsup2

MAN that is just awful :sad2:

But, I would try to recover your photos as well like some other posters said. I'm sure that you can - please let us all know how it turns out.

We were on the same cruise. I will download all our pictures to a CD and can send them to you. Obviously, some are just of our family, but I took a lot of random shots which have other folks in them. You may be able to find yourselves in some of these other photos.

But as RKB (and others have stated), there is a good chance you photos are still there. Go to a quality shop (either camera or computer) and see what they can do.

pentex said:
...To make a long story short, we learned the next time we turned it on that ALL of our photos are gone...

All may not be lost. Most digital cameras today have some kind of media that stores your digital photos within your camera. Sony calls this media a "memory stick" and there are a whole host of different names for the same thing which is a card that can be removed when full so you can put in a new card and keep shooting.

It is entirely possible that the camera was damaged to the point of not being able to read the card which is why it appears all your photos are gone. I would read the manual and find the card within the camera. This card should have all your photos.

You can take this card to any place that will print digital photos, give them the card so they can read it and see if the photos still exist.

I would be VERY surprised if dropping the camera caused the memory card to become erased.

Jeff

I'm glad that others have reminded you that your memories are are your own, not files in a disc. In our house we used to take photos, develop photos, leve photos laying around in envelope from pharmacy developing center and then wonder in which drawer we had stashed a particular set of photos that never made it out of the envelope. And to think I was paying extra for double prints that DW never sent to any relatives...

So I stopped taking photos. I enjoy and live my vacation, rather than spending it behind a camera or a video recorder (you know the guy, and I am sure this is not the OP, but the guy whose face is always half obscured by the camera, or who is always looking at the viewscreen instead of the children, or--heaven forbid--actually interacting with the kids and being a part of the vacation instead of the guy recording the kids vacation.

But that isnt to say that I dont have TONS of DCL pictures stored on my computer, for use in a presentation I did for DS's class, or screensaver's, or for use in magnetic door signs. And while OP would indeed do well, I would think, to follow the tech advice of the other respondents, he will indeed find many nice pictures from the links he has been sent, and moreover should go to webshots, and do a general search there using "Disney cruise" or "disney magic" as the search terms. And thousands and thousands of individuals photos and their pages will appear. Scan, scroll, peruse, and right click anything that is a photo of a scene, locale, meal, aspect of the ship, whatever, that you enjoyed.

There are basically two primary types of photos you will find--pictures of things--the ship, locations, landscapes, menus, officers, islands, characters...and the other kind are pictures of the people who went on that cruise--janie, laurie, sophie and stacy smiling in 8 locations, maury, manny, murray and vinny holding up their drinks and toasting, yada yada yada. Those are amusing, but the first type is obviously what comes in handy in building an album of third party photos. Hope your own family's shots can be salvaged.

I think before you abandon all hope you should call or email the camera's manufacturer and explain what happened. They may be able to retrieve your photos for you. I would be very very surprised if the drop erased your memory storage. (I would not call the people at the WDW camera shops -experts.)

Please bump in case anyone else has anything to add...

I am so, so thankful to those who have been able to send their photos. Words cannot convey how thankful I am. We are very big "photo" people....this means so much to us.

I am pretty versed in digital cameras and take very good photos so there was a lot lost...I knew about the recovery and that's what we set about looking into immediately....Disney sent us on a runaround from Boardwalk (who had no idea what we were talking about) to Epcot (who also didn't know how to do) until we finally went to two other places who specialize in this and they said all is gone...that the camera is likely broken and that prohibited any retrieval that may have been possible. It is a Fuji camera, and we were told by both places that they have one of the lowest retrieval rates, just my luck.

Disney has still not gotten back to me despite the fact that a DCL rep promised to by Monday (it's now Thursday and I've left her countless messages), and despite the fact that it was their crew member who caused this problem (even though it was not on purpose, the fact is, he did err.) I want them to give me the Shutters photos (we only bought one that came out better than the one I took....mostly my photos come out very well). My 10 year old made it her personal cruise mission to take her photo with every character for her scrapbook and these are the things you guys can't give me :( but that Disney/Shutters still has and will throw away if someone there doesn't look into this now rather than later. I am sure that the waiter will recall what happened now but a few weeks from now??? Not so sure.

So, I will let you know if I ever hear from Disney but to be honest they are showing no interest in helping.....and thanx for retrieval advice but it is not the happy ending for us.

Thank you so much to those who sent photos.....I love DIS with all my heart and can't thank you enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter