Please help me choose which ADRs to cancel...

ellypres

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone,

We are Disney bound in just 12 more days! :) This is our very first family trip and we're super excited. Husband and I will be going with our two kids, DD 5 and DS 2. DD is a super princess fan. I have worked HARD the past 5 days on these dining reservations, checking constantly, and have us eating almost every day at a restuarant. We already have the 2 quick service dining plan. Our budget doesn't allow us to keep all of these reservations, please help me in deciding which to keep? We are staying onsite using Disney transportation.

Day 1 -- 9:15 at Ohana (I thought this would be good to watch the fireworks from the beach when we are done with dinner, but I'm afraid it will be too late for my son by the time we get back to the hotel. He gets super cranky)

Day 2 -- 6:40 PM (Got this because of the characters & all you can eat seafood buffet)

Day 3 -- 1:35 PM Akershus (Will keep this one for DD)

Day 4 -- 4:30 PM 1900 Park Fare (Really want to keep this one for DD as well but I'm afraid it might be too much going here and then HS for the 9 PM Fantasmic show)

Day 5 -- 2:35 PM Crystal Palace (got this because of the characters & buffet). Lunch ends just 10 minutes later, would we be charged for lunch or dinner?

Day 6 -- 7:30 PM Garden Grove (got this because of the characters & seafood buffet but I think its too expensive for our budget)

Day 7 -- 4:30 PM Be Our Guest (I thought it would be nice to dine here)

Day 8 -- 10:30 AM Hollywood & Vine (both kids are big Disney Junior fans)

8:20 PM Ohana (double booked but only plan to go once. Not sure if we should keep this since its two restuarants on the same day)

Day 9 -- 5:30 PM Ohana (triple booked but only plan to go once. Got this one because dinner isn't as late, and we plan on spending our last day at MK but if dinner ends around 6:30 PM/7 PM, what will we do around the resort for the next 3 hours while waiting for the fireworks?)

Day 10 -- Checkout

Thanks so much for any help!

Those all look good. I think Day 1 is a no go. I have a 1 year old and there is no way we could make a 9:15 (I'm assuming pm) reservation. You know your son, and Like you said, he will be cranky.
Day 2 doesn't have the restaurant title.
Day 5 would be great. I think that is a great time to go sit down for lunch. If you have a late breakfast, your kids will be in need of a rest and some great food. I would keep that one. I think you are charged for lunch.
Now, if you have Akershus and CP, I don't see any reason you need to keep the one at 1900 Park Fare. You hit almost all those characters with the first 2.
How many reservations do you want to keep?

Hello everyone,

We are Disney bound in just 12 more days! :) This is our very first family trip and we're super excited. Husband and I will be going with our two kids, DD 5 and DS 2. DD is a super princess fan. I have worked HARD the past 5 days on these dining reservations, checking constantly, and have us eating almost every day at a restuarant. We already have the 2 quick service dining plan. Our budget doesn't allow us to keep all of these reservations, please help me in deciding which to keep? We are staying onsite using Disney transportation.

Day 1 -- 9:15 at Ohana (I thought this would be good to watch the fireworks from the beach when we are done with dinner, but I'm afraid it will be too late for my son by the time we get back to the hotel. He gets super cranky)

Day 2 -- 6:40 PM (Got this because of the characters & all you can eat seafood buffet)

Day 4 -- 4:30 PM 1900 Park Fare (Really want to keep this one for DD as well but I'm afraid it might be too much going here and then HS for the 9 PM Fantasmic show)

Day 5 -- 2:35 PM Crystal Palace (got this because of the characters & buffet). Lunch ends just 10 minutes later, would we be charged for lunch or dinner?

Day 6 -- 7:30 PM Garden Grove (got this because of the characters & seafood buffet but I think its too expensive for our budget)

8:20 PM Ohana (double booked but only plan to go once. Not sure if we should keep this since its two restuarants on the same day)

Day 9 -- 5:30 PM Ohana (triple booked but only plan to go once. Got this one because dinner isn't as late, and we plan on spending our last day at MK but if dinner ends around 6:30 PM/7 PM, what will we do around the resort for the next 3 hours while waiting for the fireworks?)

Day 10 -- Checkout

I'd get rid of:

ohana day 1: you'll be too tired, a night at the resort pool or an early night in would be much better

1900 park fare: she will see princesses at akershus, no need to do it twice. Maybe see them again at the park.

hollywood and vine: keep ohana that day (or get later ressie), eat, then head out to the beach and watch wishes with your family from there.

Day 2/Day 6: I'd pick one. Do you really need two seafood buffets? Maybe take a night to go to earl of sandwich in downtown disney or something.

Hi, thanks so much for your response redredreeves! :)

Oops, I forgot! Day 2 is at Cape May Cafe (I love seafood)

I would like to cancel about half of it, but having a really hard time trying to decide. I'm pregnant now with our #3 and if our #3 is anything like our #2 LOL we won't be back for another 2.5 years. There's just no way! :) and I'm trying to cram as much Disney as I can. But I'm already dreading thinking about our CC bill upon our return home.

I would like to keep both Princess dining for DD as she loves them so much. By the time we get to go to Disney again, she will be around 8 or 9 and might be out of the princess stage.

I think you are right about Day 1 and 9:15 PM will be too late for us, especially on arrival day. I'm going to go ahead and cancel it now...

Hello everyone, We are Disney bound in just 12 more days! :) This is our very first family trip and we're super excited. Husband and I will be going with our two kids, DD 5 and DS 2. DD is a super princess fan. I have worked HARD the past 5 days on these dining reservations, checking constantly, and have us eating almost every day at a restuarant. We already have the 2 quick service dining plan. Our budget doesn't allow us to keep all of these reservations, please help me in deciding which to keep? We are staying onsite using Disney transportation. Day 1 -- 9:15 at Ohana (I thought this would be good to watch the fireworks from the beach when we are done with dinner, but I'm afraid it will be too late for my son by the time we get back to the hotel. He gets super cranky) Day 2 -- 6:40 PM (Got this because of the characters & all you can eat seafood buffet) Day 3 -- 1:35 PM Akershus (Will keep this one for DD) Day 4 -- 4:30 PM 1900 Park Fare (Really want to keep this one for DD as well but I'm afraid it might be too much going here and then HS for the 9 PM Fantasmic show) Day 5 -- 2:35 PM Crystal Palace (got this because of the characters & buffet). Lunch ends just 10 minutes later, would we be charged for lunch or dinner? Day 6 -- 7:30 PM Garden Grove (got this because of the characters & seafood buffet but I think its too expensive for our budget) Day 7 -- 4:30 PM Be Our Guest (I thought it would be nice to dine here) Day 8 -- 10:30 AM Hollywood & Vine (both kids are big Disney Junior fans) 8:20 PM Ohana (double booked but only plan to go once. Not sure if we should keep this since its two restuarants on the same day) Day 9 -- 5:30 PM Ohana (triple booked but only plan to go once. Got this one because dinner isn't as late, and we plan on spending our last day at MK but if dinner ends around 6:30 PM/7 PM, what will we do around the resort for the next 3 hours while waiting for the fireworks?) Day 10 -- Checkout Thanks so much for any help!

Day 1- cancel Ohana
Day 2- which restaurant?
day 3- keep Askerhaus for many princesses
Day 4 cancel- very nice but just the Cinderella 'family'
Day 5- keep Crystal Palace- good variety and the entire Winnie gang
Day 6- Garden Grove at Swan/Dolphin? Never been, can't comment.
Day 7- Ohana- (characters at night? I didn't think so) very nice restaurant; after dinner do you plan in watching fireworks from the beach? Are you staying at Polynesian? If so, swim. If not, head back to park for Wishes and the parade.
Day 8- keep Hollywood and Vine and watch Fantasmic that day.

If you have specific questions, just ask.

Cape May dinner doesn't have characters, only breakfast. It isn't that great either. I don't know anything about Garden Grove? Is it a character meal? In any case, just keep one of these.

Do you have parkhoppers? If you do, keep the 5:30 'Ohana and go to MK for Wishes. If not, despite being double booked one day I would keep the 8:20 'Ohana.

You will likely see Cinderella at Akershus (no guarantee but she has been there every time we have eaten there) so I would also drop 1900 PF.

I would suggest upgrading from the quick service dining plan to the regular dining plan. You would pay the difference between the 2 plans, which is $18.65 per adult per night and $3.20 for your dd per night. The upgrade would cost you about $364 and would allow to have a table service meal each day. Not sure I would be able to eat 2 quick service and a table service meal each day unless you are big breakfast eaters. In any case, it would be less expensive to buy breakfast than to buy dinner each night.

Good luck and have a magical trip!

I would suggest upgrading from the quick service dining plan to the regular dining plan. You would pay the difference between the 2 plans, which is $18.65 per adult per night and $3.20 for your dd per night. The upgrade would cost you about $364 and would allow to have a table service meal each day. Not sure I would be able to eat 2 quick service and a table service meal each day unless you are big breakfast eaters. In any case, it would be less expensive to buy breakfast than to buy dinner each night.

I second this!

Also, Cape May Cafe does not have characters at dinner. However, I did think it was really good and ate SO MANY crab legs, so I have it booked again. Hoping DH will like it since I've definitely been seeing mixed reviews! You definitely have to love seafood to make it worth it. But again, I would not do 2 seafood buffets.

And I also think that 2 princess meals might be a bit much - no matter how much your DD loves princesses. And especially if you're looking to get rid of reservations. On the other hand, if you upgrade the DDP it could be worth it.

This is what I was going to suggest too. If you already are getting a dining plan, but would like to still do some TS it would probably be just as cost effective to upgrade. If you figure about $60 per TS (I'm saying about $20 X 2 adults + kids meal + drinks + tip), if you only keep 3 TS that would be about $180. Sure, you are still down a little money, but you get the food and experiences that you want that are not duplicated at the QS locations.

Thank you everyone so much -- iceskatingprincess, mmbl, jenjersnap, Iamthequeen, brielise, lizard1 -- for your advice and input. What a helpful bunch this board is! :)

I think I am too confused about the dining plan. I initially didn't think we would be eating a table meal every day because DS (2) doesn't really sit well for a long peroid of time. I thought the quick service meal would be better, but then I didn't think I would get so lucky to be able to snag these reservations (I literally checked about 5+ times a day!!)

Would we be saving money if we upgraded to the 1 table service plan and kept all of the reservations? As I made the reservations, I kept seeing that our dining plan wasn't eligible (Cape Mak Cafe, Akershus, 1900 Park Fare, Crystal Palace, Garden Grove, Be Our Guest, Hollywood & Vine and Ohana). I didn't want to have to pay for our dinners, then still have to eat a table meal on top of it.

I'm leaning towards cancelling 1900 Park Fare, still trying to decide between Cape May vs Garden Grove, and will cancel one of the Ohanas, just not sure which one the 8:20 PM or 5:30 PM. The 8:20 PM is double booked with Hollywood & Vine earlier in the day (10:30 AM) BUT dinner will be done closer to the time that fireworks start. If we kept the 5:30 PM Ohana, I don't think there would be enough things to do there for three hours (we are staying at Pop Century)

Ohana is only ok by our standards. The food is all right, not great. We do not like Lilo & Stitch (the movie). I would, at most, only go once here. Yes to Hollywood and Vine, yes to CP, yes to BOG, and I'd keep Park Fare if I were you. Really all of them are fine, but I've never been to Garden Grove so can't comment on that. As to your question on the dining plan, I would definitely upgrade. We do that all the time and because we love TS, it greatly benefits us.

I would dump Garden Grove. If you are going for the food, it's fine, but it is barely a character meal. We went there for breakfast and they only bring one character out at a time. Took about 90 minutes to see Pluto and Goofy.

I think I am too confused about the dining plan. I initially didn't think we would be eating a table meal every day because DS (2) doesn't really sit well for a long peroid of time. I thought the quick service meal would be better, but then I didn't think I would get so lucky to be able to snag these reservations (I literally checked about 5+ times a day!!)

Your son not sitting well may be another wrench in your plans. However, we used the meals as a break from the parks and with athe character interactions it may not be as bad as you think it will (though you know him best).

Would we be saving money if we upgraded to the 1 table service plan and kept all of the reservations? As I made the reservations, I kept seeing that our dining plan wasn't eligible (Cape Mak Cafe, Akershus, 1900 Park Fare, Crystal Palace, Garden Grove, Be Our Guest, Hollywood & Vine and Ohana). I didn't want to have to pay for our dinners, then still have to eat a table meal on top of it.

If you upgrade to the TS meal (which will be the one TS and one QS per day), you will be able to use the TS credits for theose meals, so you won't have anything additional out of pocket to pay aside from the upgrade cost mentioned above. They showed as ineligible because those restaurants are TS and are not covered under the QS dining plan.

I'm leaning towards cancelling 1900 Park Fare, still trying to decide between Cape May vs Garden Grove, and will cancel one of the Ohanas, just not sure which one the 8:20 PM or 5:30 PM. The 8:20 PM is double booked with Hollywood & Vine earlier in the day (10:30 AM) BUT dinner will be done closer to the time that fireworks start. If we kept the 5:30 PM Ohana, I don't think there would be enough things to do there for three hours (we are staying at Pop Century)

If you upgrade, make sure that you have enough TS credits being used that you don't end up wasting the extra money you spend to upgrade. If you are going to cancel one O'Hana, I would do the later one because with young kids, they probably won't last through the dinner and the fireworks and to get back to the hotel without being grumpy from being so tired (that is how it would be with my kids, but yours may be different).

Ohana is only ok by our standards. The food is all right, not great. We do not like Lilo & Stitch (the movie). I would, at most, only go once here. Yes to Hollywood and Vine, yes to CP, yes to BOG, and I'd keep Park Fare if I were you. Really all of them are fine, but I've never been to Garden Grove so can't comment on that. As to your question on the dining plan, I would definitely upgrade. We do that all the time and because we love TS, it greatly benefits us.

Just so you know, OP, 'Ohana doesn't have characters at dinner either. This poster is talking about breakfast there which features Lilo and Stitch.

Upgrading dining plan makes sense OR dropping all dining plans may be the right choice. It is quite possible that just paying for the QS and TS you actually want will cost less than any dining plan. There are dining plan calculators out there, google them, input where you want to eat and they will tell you if the dining plan makes sense.

Put your reservations in here and it will tell you what dining plan would be best. It also tells you what places to pay out of pocket for (usually breakfast). We use snack credits for breakfast most days and have a sit down lunch. http://seeyareelsoon.wix.com/seeyareelsoon#!dining-plan-calculator/cxc0

If you plan on eating even a few TS then the regular plan will most likely be the best bet. I plugged your reservation, removing the duplicate Ohanas. If you add 2 more TS meals, you will save about $60 over paying OP and $200 over having the QS plan. I would suggest adding 2 buffet or family style meals because your DS will eat for free if you do change to the regular dining plan.

Hello everyone,

Day 10 -- Checkout

Yes, I too think you should upgrade to the regular dining plan. Maybe it didn't show as available to you because those restaurants aren't covered on the quick service plan?? I'd cancel the first Ohana. While I understand that you love seafood, you can get that at Red Lobster. This is a time for restaurants and experiences you can't get at home since you won't be back for a while! I believe you'll find most of the places have seafood and you'll be okay! For that reason, I'd then cancel Cape May and Garden Grove. I don't think the difference between the lunch and dinner at Be Our Guest is enough to waste a credit on because the only difference is the Beast outside the restaurant but if you have the credits to burn, people love it! Why not take the monorail back to MK after Ohana that last night? You'll probably go there to catch a bus anyway right?! Have a great time! It may not be perfect but that just gives you the opportunity to plan your next trip better! :)

Hello everyone,

Day 10 -- Checkout

Day 1 - cancel...too late for the kiddos
Day 4 - switch 1900 PF to a breakfast to see Alice and Mary Poppins! Pooh and tigger are here as well
Day 5 - I'd cancel CP if you get a 1900 PF breakfast because you'll already have seen pooh and tigger
Day 6 - Cancel GG and take the kids to Beaches and Cream for a fun, family meal that ends in ICE CREAM:)
Day 8 - Cancel 'Ohana
Day 9 - keep this 'Ohana meal....it takes more like 2 hours for dinner there. There is a gorgeous beach for the kids to play on while waiting for the fireworks and also the Electrical Water Pageant will be going on around the lagoon and they are sure to enjoy that as well.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter