Please don't flame me...

hegs65

DIS Veteran
I am almost afraid to ask this and I certainly do not want to start a debate but...Say my 11 yr old (who eats like a bird-but is an adult according to Disney) orders a pb&J (not even sure it is on the menu-just a for instance) at Lecellier, would I really have to use her adult credit for this or could I pay out of pocket?

Why would you pay out of pocket for a meal when you are on DDP? If it takes up adults credits, isn't that better than paying out of pocket?

You can pay out of pocket and use her credit for a signature restaurant.

Laurajean1014 said:
Why would you pay out of pocket for a meal when you are on DDP? If it takes up adults credits, isn't that better than paying out of pocket?

I would only because for the amount of money it costs for her to be on the ADULT plan compared to how much she actually eats is way off. If she were allowed to be on the kids plan I would have no problem because I wouldn't be paying so much. I understand that all kids are different and disney has no idea that she only eats like a bird. I also understand that I had a choice on whether or not the dining plan was right for my family or not. In the case of my family it was right for the rest of us but it just doesn't fit for her. I did not want to cheat the system by lying and saying she is only 9. For places like Lecellier and Kona Cafe it just doesn't make sense to use an adult credit for a child who is going to eat half of a kids sized meal. In this case it is sort of like the cheating is being done by disney. Again, please no flames-this is just my opinion.

Here's a flame retardant suit --

Pay out of pocket for the PB&J -- it's your business and no one else's. Geesh!

As I'm sure you know, she'll be charged a credit at buffets. It seems to be most people's experience that you can pay out of pocket, if you want, at any other given meal if she isn't eating a 'credit's worth.'

However, the brochure is currantly worded so that Disney can deduct credits from everyone eating a signature restaurant (even though most people don't report this in practice). And the rules of the plan can change.

So, it's a good bet you can pay out of pocket. But there's no guarentee.

Others have done what you are suggesting, but you are right. It is a hot button issue around here.

I think starting off a post with Don't Flame Me is like writing Do Not Bend on an envelope...you know how that always turns out. :rotfl2:

Ridiculous to be a hot button issue. The kid has the adult plan. It's no different than if she ran out of ts credits and had to pay oop. I can see the controversy if it is a child credit, but how on earth can anyone justify a problem with it when it is a bought and paid adult credit. ?????

If I go without kids and I want to pay OOP so I can have an extra credit for a 2 credit meal then why not??? :confused3 Otherwise I can't ever get a two credit meal.

I can see no reason anyone would flame for this. Anyone?

I'm having the same dilemna with DS11. There is no way he eats anywhere near an adult size portion. The DDP works out financially for me and DH and DS6. It's been a hard decision on what to do - DDP or not because of DS11.

When are you going?

Laurajean1014 said:

Umm, it's better if they have more TS booked than they have credits. Not only better, but paying OOP will be required at some point.

sherreis said:
I'm having the same dilemna with DS11. There is no way he eats anywhere near an adult size portion. The DDP works out financially for me and DH and DS6. It's been a hard decision on what to do - DDP or not because of DS11.

When are you going?

Ironically, I have 2 trips planned. The first one is this month-9 days yahoo!!!! We have free dining so I don't care if the child eats a crumb (well you know what I mean) because I am not paying for it. Of course, because it is free, I have no issue and will have her just use her credits as normal-even if it is just for a pb&J. Our next trip is in the works for June of 2007 (depending on ds schedule) where I will have to pay the full adult price for her because like I said before, it works out better for the rest of us.

While I feel that the dp in itself is a tremendous value overall-it makes me ALMOST want to tell a fib and say that she is only 9 (especially seeing as I already have her adult park pass bought for the 2nd trip). I won't though as it would end up ruining our vacation because I would be fretting about lying and by then she will be almost 12. Oh well, if this is the only dilemma I have in life then I guess I should be happy! Lol

Oh, and by the way, (someone may bring this up so I will address it now) disney had my kids ages messed up in their computer. They originally had my dd listed as a 9 yr old and my ds as a 12 yr old- both wrong -they are 11 and 14. I called and corrected this and had to pay an additional $20...ugh!

fakereadhed said:
suggesting, but you are right. It is a hot button issue around here.

I think starting off a post with Don't Flame Me is like writing Do Not Bend on an envelope...you know how that always turns out. :rotfl2:

Ain't that the truth!!! :rotfl2:

It MAY depend on the restaurant. There's no reason you can't use one adult credit for a different adult who's included on your package reservation at a different restaurant/time/meal - but some restaurants have been reported as not permitting some DDP credit use in combination with other OOP payment. After all, the adult credits are not broken down by name.

I do believe it would be wrong to use a child's credit for an adult meal - no judgement :love: - I'm just a rule follower. BUT, if you paid for an adult meal for her, you aren't trying to "scam" you are saving one of the three adult credits you have for that day to use at another time.
Last trip, I was on DDP. One morning, I was starving, so I went to the food court and got breakfast for myself. I chose to pay OOP because I knew we'd be having lunch and simply thought it would be easier to use "that day's" CS when we were both getting food. I was not doing anything "wrong" I was buying extra food above and beyond what was on the plan.
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how you are doing anything different than that. After all - you did pay for an adult meal and in theory, you could actually waste that credit if she's never hungry.

Let's stick to the question shall we?? Does she HAVE to use an adult credit, or can she pay out of pocket?
That's all the OP wants to know.

Let's stick to the question shall we?? Does she HAVE to use an adult credit, or can she pay out of pocket?
That's all the OP wants to know

Nobody can answer that question for sure, especially since the trip is not until June 2007. I can't see any reason why you would not be able to do this since it's an adult credit and the child/adult credit thing isn't even an issue. Who knows what the rules will be by then though??

How many of us have experienced being told that we were not allowed to pay OOP for *part* of the check at a TS? I havent been in a looooong time, so I have no exp. :confused3

RachelEllen said:
However, the brochure is currantly worded so that Disney can deduct credits from everyone eating a signature restaurant (even though most people don't report this in practice). And the rules of the plan can change.

Is this only at Signature Restaurants? And how exactly is it worded?

I have contacted Disney about this exact issue and and was told

"Any member of a party may opt to "save" their dine plan credits and pay out-of-pocket for a meal. How you use the dine plan credits is your choice. You need only tell the wait staff how you want the meal paid for, before you order."

And before this answer gets twisted into sharing kids/adults, keep in mind in my question I did specify the kids would be using their credits and the adults would be payng for their meal to save their credits for a 2 credit dinner the next day.

We went about three weeks agao, before we left DD 11 was a littel under teh weather and I wasn't sure if she'd have her appetite back. I wrote to Disney Dining and was told that it was ok for an adult to order off the children's menu, but that an adult credit would be deducted. As with all things Disney you may find a CM that follows the rules to the letter and you may find flexibility. I had planned on asking if she for example only wanted a drink and soup if I could pay OOP, of course the difference is I paid for the plan so it really had a near $40.00 value to me. I would think that you would encounter the same thing though--some will eb flexible while a few may be strict.

patsal said:
We went about three weeks agao, before we left DD 11 was a littel under teh weather and I wasn't sure if she'd have her appetite back. I wrote to Disney Dining and was told that it was ok for an adult to order off the children's menu, but that an adult credit would be deducted. As with all things Disney you may find a CM that follows the rules to the letter and you may find flexibility. I had planned on asking if she for example only wanted a drink and soup if I could pay OOP, of course the difference is I paid for the plan so it really had a near $40.00 value to me. I would think that you would encounter the same thing though--some will eb flexible while a few may be strict.

If there is a rule, what is the purpose? It would only to be to keep people from saving kid credits to use later for adult meals. Now, LeCellier is a 2 credit place right??? But I have to assume it is only 1 credit for the kids meal (is that right?) since the kids menu is the same as most other places. So if you order a kids meal for an 11 year old are they really gonna say, "No you have to use the DDP for that and it is a 2 credit place so 2 credits for those chicken nuggets." I doubt that really.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter