• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please Don't Bash The DDP!

Anie87

Walt Disney World Addict!
Sorry to get on a soap box, but...

I don't think it's fair to blame the DDP for the supposed decline of food. Restaurants change, menus get updated, chefs come and go, as do waiters and waitresses and managers. I think the DDP is a blessing! It's allowed us to try new restaurants we otherwise wouldn't have gone to because of uncertainty of the menu or - in most cases - the cost of it! I just keep reading people talking about how the food tastes worse or they get treated differently because they are on the plan. It's possible the DDP has it's negative side, but overall, I think it's gave many people some awesome opportunities! :thumbsup2

i would think the severs would like it if you were on the plan at least that way they know they are going to get 18% tip.

I was extremely happy with the menus, found the selection, quality & quantity of food better on my last trip (Dec 06) then any of years prior. :)

I don't think it's fair to blame the DDP for the supposed decline of food. Restaurants change, menus get updated, chefs come and go, as do waiters and waitresses and managers. I think the DDP is a blessing! It's allowed us to try new restaurants we otherwise wouldn't have gone to because of uncertainty of the menu or - in most cases - the cost of it! I just keep reading people talking about how the food tastes worse or they get treated differently because they are on the plan. It's possible the DDP has it's negative side, but overall, I think it's gave many people some awesome opportunities! :thumbsup2
If some people feel they did not like the DDP for whatever reason, they have a right to express their feelings of how they did not like it. The way people are allowed to say how great it is, people have a right to say how it's not that great. So call it 50/50 for people that want to post great things about and for others that post how they don't like it.

I agree with the previous poster. Some like the DDP and some don't.

Our family, personally, love the Dining Plan and wouldn't go back to Disney without it. Some of the restaurants we ate at this past year (with the plan) were the same we had eaten at several years before (without the plan) and I don't feel as if there has been a decline in either the quality of service or food. So....I agree with the original poster on that point.

With the dining plan, we found that we were more open to trying new foods and new restaurants. It was so nice to order anything on the menu regardless of the cost.

I really liked knowing that our food and snacks were already paid for before we ever even arrived. That was one less thing I had to worry about!

I was extremely happy with the DDP. I plan on doing it every trip as long as they offer it.

We loved the DDP. I feel it saved us a lot of money, and allowed us to eat at places we would not have been able to otherwise. But, for us, dining is part of our vacation. What can I say, we love to eat!:rotfl:

I think its always okay to say you don't like anything, whether its the DDP, a certain resort, ride or whatever. I think what gets some opinions into mirky water is the way they are stated. For instance I might like the food at say Liberty Tree Tavern. Thats me. I don't expect anybody else to like it too. However, when one poster stated I must not be a good cook to think that's good food, that sort of made me peeved! Its been a habit for a few posters to say the DDP has made dining at Disney a mess, that if you think the food is still good, you don't know what good food is etc. Anytime you base your opinion on negatively attacking someone else's, thats not okay. And as usual, its only a few posters that do this, but it sort of leaves a sour taste in some people's mouths and thats probably why you see threads like these.

And for the record I like the DDP but could live without it. My husband and kids however think its the best thing since sliced bread so we shall be doing it again in October! My trip is 173 days away and I know where I'll be eating every single day. I have no idea what else will be going on my life but do know that at least!

I think people have a right to express their opinions, however, there's a good way to do it and a not so good way too. Telling people that they don't know what good food is because they like what they were served at Disney is not something I like to read. DM eats at 5 stars french restaurants here on a regular basis and she liked the food fine. Then again she had realistic expectation and didn't anticipate to be served filet mignon at a $20 character lunch.

It gets on my nerves when some of the veterans here blame the "masses" for everything that they think is wrong with Disney. That word alone makes me cringe!

Just enjoy yourself and the DDP, and don't let em bother you. There are a lot of people that just don't fit the plan. I have nothing wrong with their posts. But there are also the vocal few that bash. They are the ones we remember because they stick out.

Telling people that they don't know what good food is because they like what they were served at Disney is not something I like to read.

Oh I love to read those posts. I find them quite humorous in a laughing at them rather than with them sort of way.

It gets on my nerves when some of the veterans here blame the "masses" for everything that they think is wrong with Disney
Well I believe that some people wanted to feel exclusive. And now that more people are eating at these establishments, they feel less exclusive. Some people genuinely can't enjoy something if a lot of others are able to enjoy it too. And others had a bad experience or two (which happens) or their favorite thing goes off the menu (which happens) and then think well after the dining plan and therefore because of the dining plan which is fallacious.

I think its always okay to say you don't like anything, whether its the DDP, a certain resort, ride or whatever. I think what gets some opinions into mirky water is the way they are stated. For instance I might like the food at say Liberty Tree Tavern. Thats me. I don't expect anybody else to like it too. However, when one poster stated I must not be a good cook to think that's good food, that sort of made me peeved! Its been a habit for a few posters to say the DDP has made dining at Disney a mess, that if you think the food is still good, you don't know what good food is etc.
You've hit the nail on the head. That's going "too far" IMHO. :scared:

Also, it is one thing to say you like or don't like something; it is another to condemn something because you don't like it. Not everything needs to meet with our personal specifications. When things don't, we have every right to be sad. I think some people go overboard, instead, and get angry. :sad2:

I think people have a right to express their opinions, however, there's a good way to do it and a not so good way too. Telling people that they don't know what good food is because they like what they were served at Disney is not something I like to read.

It gets on my nerves when some of the veterans here blame the "masses" for everything that they think is wrong with Disney. That word alone makes me cringe!

I agree. I enjoy different opinions and like to know why people feel the way that they do. I am not entertained by debates that turn ugly with personal attacks.

Hey, if you like something who gives a rat's tail ( no longer available on the DDP ) what anyone else thinks! And if you don't like it all the gum-flappin' in the world isn't likely to change your mind and make you a convert. Debating personal tastes isn't an argument anyone ever wins, so I make sure to read these "opinion" type posts with large grains of salt.

The part that I find interesting is that the DDP might affect even those people who don't like it and wish it didn't exist. In that respect, it's the same as FastPass: a world *without* this offering is a different world than the one with it, even for those who wish to avoid the system.

That might account for the vehemence of some reactions. For some folks, it *is* personal, even if they don't like the system or use it themselves.

If you like the DDP then use it and don't worry about those of us who don't. It's offered and there for the taking.:thumbsup2

But your comments on not wanting to blame the DDP for what's happening to the food at WDW is wishful thinking in the eyes of many of us (not all, though).

I know why two chef's have left and I'm sure you wouldn't like the answer. The servers aren't happy because of the formula for tip sharing I'm told...They're not reaping the benefits of their extraordinary service. Some of the better ones have moved on (as all the regular restaurant patrons know).

You are getting to eat at restaurants you maybe couldn't before but (IMO) it is no longer the same restaurant. You're eating in the same building but minus the same same food quality, menu diversity and service quality as was known in the past. So what are you really getting? A building with moderate service and a quickly changing menu that looks just like every othr WDW eatery.

This is the state of WDW dining for better or worse. It isn't going to change because I don't like it so you really have little to worry about. WDW dining is on a path to please the majority of the guests while filling their rooms and until the profitability in this changes or another avenue (offering better profitr) appears you DDP lovers will continue to get what you want.
pirate:

It is however, facinating, that the portion size and menus changed throughout WDW shortly after the introduction of the dining plan. Yeah, chefs change, but every menu in Disney doesn't start changing simultaneously unless its been ordered from the top.

I don't think the dining plan is blameless for the changes. I don't think its fair to blame all the changes on the dining plan either - I think Disney has gotten into the "reducing variation" trend of running a business - and that has not had a good impact on food and beverage at Disney. (i.e. the standardization of bar menus has nothing to do with the dining plan).

The dining plan has some really good points - its made table service dining affordable for hundreds of thousands of Disney guests. Its made trips easier to budget.

But, everything comes with a downside. For people who were used to the more expansive menus of a few years ago, and were willing to pay to order from the top of the menu, those choices have disappeared or are a shadow (portion size and detail wise) of their former selves. Not that the food isn't good, but it isn't worth looking forward to anymore. For some of us, that's as much a disappointment as turning Mr. Toad's Wild Ride into Pooh, or closing 10,000 Leagues.

Kevin's point is well taken - the dining plan impacts me whether I use it or not. We haven't used the dining plan (we will this next trip) - and if we were offered seperate menus, we'd prefer to pay out of pocket for the old food quality and quantity - we weren't spending $40 per person a day on food - we were spending $80. And I'd happily continue to spend $80 to get $80 worth of food. But now, if I pay OOP, I spend $80 to get $55 worth of food - or I can spend $40 with the dining plan and get $55 worth of food. I'd rather go back to the old way, but I'm not stupid enough to pay $80 for $55 worth of food when I can pay $40.

The PP is certainly right about that. The DDP has changed dining at WDW period. Whether you use it or not. I happen to think it for the better. However, I am an obsessive over-planner, who enjoyed being meticulous about dining arrangements WAYYYYYYYYYY before my trip (I knew what I wanted, at which park, and had several alternatives written down on paper 8 months before my trip, which is coming up this month BTW FINALLY :woohoo: :banana: :cool1:

I just hope I can manage to remember that the ppl who walk up to Le Cellier (for ex) while I am waiting to be seated, have no idea thst they needed to call 6 months ago. It really isnt their fault that they didnt know such a great tool as these forums existed :confused3

I am an Executive Chef and I love the DDP. Many people think that Disney dining is the height of fine dining and are disappointed when the food does not meet that expectation. I am a firm believer in the saying "you get what you pay for." At $39 per adult for two meals and a snack, the correct perspective needs to be applied. If you want better food and service you need to use two TS credits for the WDW Signature restaurants or pay out of pocket.

That said, I feel the food at WDW is actually very good and the variety is excellent. There is something for everyone on the DDP, but sometimes it takes a while to find a place you love. DW and I have many "must do" restaurants and they include many different types of cuisine and levels of quality (from Liberty Tree Tavern to Fulton's). We really loved Liberty Tree Tavern; the food was good (yes, I even like the frozen Stouffers mac & cheese) the service was enthusiastic and atmosphere were fun, but we went in knowing it would not be the best food we would eat at WDW. Many people bash the buffets at WDW talking about the food quality not being worth the TS credit and it perplexes me. It is a buffet, apply the correct perspective. Food quality always suffers when you hit the buffet line. Most buffets at WDW should be attended for the experience and not the food (although many do offer food that is excellent for a buffet).

As for those who hate the DDP plan for the increased traffic in the restaurants and the lack of exclusivity, I think it is wonderful to offer people the DDP so they can come to WDW and experience foods and ethnicities they may never have the opportunity to partake of. I think that if we can enjoy the foods of other nations maybe we can learn to enjoy and respect the people of those regions as well. If the increase in foot traffic at these eateries could in some way establish a common thread of respect in the world (or at least some level of commonality) that would be better than exclusivity.

If we keep it all in the correct perspective, I think it would be more enjoyable to everyone.

Just My Two Cents!

:thumbsup2

The only problem I have with the DDP is that since I have an AP and generally wait for room only discounts, sometimes they don't come out in time to allow me the same 180 access to dining as others have. So sometimes I have difficulty getting an ADR. I really preferred the 90 day reservations to the 180, for this reason. It kind of leveled the playing field for everyone. For example, the room only discounts for fall 2006 came out in July, only 60 days before arrival for the earliest guests, and still less than 180 for the later ones. And before anyone says it, yes, I could go ahead and book a room now and apply the discount later. However, since the discounts aren't guaranteed, I could also get stuck paying rack rate (or having to cancel) unless I wait to book what I can afford.

Although I miss some of the meals that the restaurants used to offer, I can still find a wide variety of foods to eat. So that hasn't been as much of an issue.

I absolutely agree that perspective is everything. Further WDW was never the epitome of fine dining, it had however, made huge strides towards that end before the onslaught of the DDP/free dining and the fall backward.

That good, maybe even VERY good food and dining experiences are STILL available at WDW restaurants is also not the point. The point is they are most certainly not of the quality and variety as at one point in time nor is the service as good (IMO).

Chef's have left when they weren't really wanting to, top notch servers have moved on to other Orlando fine dining establishments and the homoginization of menus, purchasing and the stifling of creativity have taken place.

DDP is popular and it seems obvious that most people are happy getting a bargain (the plan) and receiving the food now being offered at WDW. This is the way it is. It's successful and most people like the offerings and find the food above average (maybe wll above average) but it isn't fair to tell those of us who knew it otherwise that we were wrong in loving what we came to love or for fighting for the hope that Disney will somehow, some way find a way to include the style that we (the obvious minority) found so attractive about Disney dining. We may not be the majority segment but I'll bet we can be pleased profitably if they'd try.
pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter