Please critique WDW vet first time DL touring plan...hopefully June 2-7!

DisneyDoc5

Making memories...
Hi all, hope you are well. Tomorrow is my 60 window. Hopefully we are arriving June 2 - 7, Disneyland Hotel, 5 day park hopper with max pass. Any feedback SUPER appreciated, I feel like a fish out of water. Family is all teen and adult, WDW super fans. My struggle is if I should take advantage of the EMH/MM during our stay everyday, which parks which mornings. We are used to rope drop and early arrival at WDW. With the plan below, I'm only really taking advantage of them on June 6, so maybe I should switch things around. My brain is mush...please help....you're my only hope....😉 We are from Holland, MI.

Goals: Rise of the Resistance, Savi light saber experience, all DL favorites and classics, Walking in Walt's footsteps Tour, and Food (WOC dessert party, lunch Blue Bayou, dinner Steakhouse 55, Fantasmic premium Riverbelle Terrace package), Magic Happens Parade

June 2, Tuesday: arrive midday from San Diego, check in. DL afternoon/evening for attractions and QS dinner, fireworks? (grad night)

June 3, Wednesday: DL with focus on Rise of the Resistance and touring through early afternoon, lunch Blue Bayou, pool break, DCA evening (DL 8 am open, DCA EMH 7 am)

June 4, Thursday: DCA am through lunch at Flo's, pool break, Steakhouse 55 earlier dinner, DL evening (DL 7 am EMH/MM, DCA 8-9)

June 5, Friday: DL with focus on Rise of the Resistance again, afternoon Walking in Walt's Footsteps tour, evening DCA with WOC dessert party (DL 8-12, DCA EMH 7)

June 6, Saturday: DL with fantasyland focus, hop to DCA as desired, pool break, Riverbelle Terrace Premium Fantasmic package (DL 7 EMH/MM, DCA 8-9 grad night)

June 7, Sunday: depart

Do I need more than one DCA am?
Best time of day to do Walt tour?
Feedback on dining mentioned?

Who knows if this will even happen. With college aged kids, might need to move it to Christmas break or next summer. Our senior in high school is missing graduation now and they will likely do it in August, so can't move it to this August. Trying to stay positive, but it's tough.

I wish you all well, be safe,
Erin

Goodluck! Still chewing on the details of your plan, but I would recommend adding ROTR attempts to every day of your trip because, esp. when there's EMH/MM for DL.

Reasons being a) you might not get on on a particular day (even with a BG), b) you might like it so much you want to ride it every single day.

We literally tagged into DL and immediately turned around to go back to DCA on days where DCA was focus, so it shouldn't take up too much of your time.

Do consider Lamp Light Lounge as one of your dining options, if time permits!

June 3 - consider starting at DL through lunch, pop over in the afternoon for DCA, and return to DL in the evening as it closes later (usually) if your pool break doesn't work out. Or keep this as an alternate idea.

Steakhouse 55 is great, but I've only ever had it as DLH room service! Consider that if you are tired and don't want to leave your room.

Sorry for the disjointed thoughts, but they are what they are. We'll be there June 6-9 and I'm hoping that trip isn't going to be cancelled (we already booked August as a backup).

Oh! And one more thing, the Food and Wine Festival is slated to be continued through the summer because of closures, you might want to squeeze that into your meal planning as well.

Hi all, hope you are well. Tomorrow is my 60 window. Hopefully we are arriving June 2 - 7, Disneyland Hotel, 5 day park hopper with max pass. Any feedback SUPER appreciated, I feel like a fish out of water. Family is all teen and adult, WDW super fans. My struggle is if I should take advantage of the EMH/MM during our stay everyday, which parks which mornings. We are used to rope drop and early arrival at WDW. With the plan below, I'm only really taking advantage of them on June 6, so maybe I should switch things around. My brain is mush...please help....you're my only hope....😉 We are from Holland, MI.

Goals: Rise of the Resistance, Savi light saber experience, all DL favorites and classics, Walking in Walt's footsteps Tour, and Food (WOC dessert party, lunch Blue Bayou, dinner Steakhouse 55, Fantasmic premium Riverbelle Terrace package), Magic Happens Parade

June 2, Tuesday: arrive midday from San Diego, check in. DL afternoon/evening for attractions and QS dinner, fireworks? (grad night)

June 3, Wednesday: DL with focus on Rise of the Resistance and touring through early afternoon, lunch Blue Bayou, pool break, DCA evening (DL 8 am open, DCA EMH 7 am)

June 4, Thursday: DCA am through lunch at Flo's, pool break, Steakhouse 55 earlier dinner, DL evening (DL 7 am EMH/MM, DCA 8-9)

June 5, Friday: DL with focus on Rise of the Resistance again, afternoon Walking in Walt's Footsteps tour, evening DCA with WOC dessert party (DL 8-12, DCA EMH 7)

June 6, Saturday: DL with fantasyland focus, hop to DCA as desired, pool break, Riverbelle Terrace Premium Fantasmic package (DL 7 EMH/MM, DCA 8-9 grad night)

Who knows if this will even happen. With college aged kids, might need to move it to Christmas break or next summer. Our senior in high school is missing graduation now and they will likely do it in August, so can't move it to this August. Trying to stay positive, but it's tough.

Erin
IMHO, you're trying to do WDW-style planning for DLR. But they're not at all the same.

Since you have Park Hoppers, you can think of the two parks almost as one big park. (It takes about 2 minutes to walk from one park to the other.) We start each day in whichever park we feel like that morning. We look at our available MaxPass choices (MaxPass is awesome!) and choose a ride. It can be in either park. Sometimes we'll start in one park, then after a short time, go to the other park. We'll sometimes go between the two parks a couple of times a day.

My suggestion is don't think too much in advance about which park to start each day in, where to eat each QS meal, which lands to focus on, what time you're going to take a break, etc. Play it all by ear. Make it up as you go along (except for those things that require reservations) - that's the fun of MaxPass. You'll find that it's way less stressful and more relaxing than WDW.

One more thing: At WDW, people hurry from ride to ride. At Disneyland, people stroll. :)

Enjoy!

Last edited:
If you plan to ride rise of the resistance, you'll have to watch the time carefully during DCA extra magic hour. Given this is a multi-day vacation, I probably wouldn't even use DCA extra magic hour even if I had it. I'd rather save the energy to do Disneyland rides at night. A lot of rides in DCA that get long lines like Radiator Springs Racers has Fastpass but DL rides like Peter Pan and Smugglers Run do not.

Since the tour ends in a meal, most people prefer to do the first tour so it ends just past noon with a good lunch time.

If you're planning to eat at the Blue Bayou anyway, you should consider doing the Fantasmic package with them instead of the River Belle Terrace one (or in addition). Blue Bayou gets the center spot closest to the water and includes a limited release Fantasmic themed cushion for you to sit on. The River Belle Terrace premium spots are quite far back but you do get the benefit of sitting in proper chairs as you watch the show and having food at the same time.

It’s California, chill out and take it easy. You have more than enough time to do everything at a leisurely pace. The only thing you really need to plan for is rise of the resistance and hard to book dining reservations. Everything else I suggest you go with the flow of the park. If you try to squeeze Disneyland into your itinerary you are going to have a frustrating time and miss out on the things that make Disneyland so great.

One memory that comes to mind is an impromptu jazz band jam session in the middle of the New Orleans shops. My daughter and her cousins just had an dance session in the middle of Disneyland and the band players threw bead necklaces at them. That’s a type of thing that you miss if you stick to a schedule.

Agree with most of the above:
1. At DL it is very very easy to play it by ear based on max pass availability. I mean you can walk from the far edge of one park to the far edge of the other park (I’m thinking Galaxies Edge to Pixar Pier in DCA) in less than half an hour!
2. If you want to see Fantasmic turn your Blue Bayou into the Fantasmic Package for the best possible viewing. Also. Have the Monte Cristo ;)

DLR is my home park, but we've done WDW 3 times, most recently last summer. I just want to echo the other posters - DLR takes far less planning than WDW does. We like to have a general idea of what we'd like to do (which you already have), and then we just fill things in as the mood strikes. Max Pass is phenomenal and, to me, so much better and easier to deal with than FP+. Because the parks are so close together, you can just hop back and forth making MPs all day long.

Agree with a PP - rope drop at DL is more important than DCA. The headliners at DCA mostly have FPs. You'd be good with just one rope drop there.

We loved Steakhouse 55 - great choice. Love the atmosphere in there, too. I want to echo the recommendation for the BB F! package - we did that in October and it was great! Perfect seats, and you get souvenir cushions.

As long as you go in realizing it's a very different experience from WDW, you will have a great time. DLR is on a much smaller scale. If you go planning to appreciate it for what it is, you will have a wonderful time.

Wow....I can't begin to thank all of you for your time, thoughtfulness, kindness...I'll be honest that I've been kind of a wreck the last few days and your responses really picked me up, so thank you for that!

And, you are all totally right....I need to chill and go with the flow. It's so hard to re-program the uber planning WDW part of my brain to the wonderful vibe at DL, advice noted and appreciated.

Totally going to change to Blue Bayou package, great advice.

changing to the morning tour, thank you.

Just going to book dining tomorrow, then when possible the tour and light saber making thing when they open up.

I loved all of your stories and thoughts, this really has me going to bed with a peace of mind, I have been researching a ton. Confession, I'm a authorized Disney vacation planner for a very successful agency and have been planning WDW for 12 years, but I have always deferred the DL trips to others with more expertise. There is no substitute for the advice of you all and I am extremely grateful.

I hope you all stay healthy and that your beloved DL reopends soon. My backup plan is August if it might work, then maybe Christmas/New Year (I realize not ideal, but then I could also check off my major bucket list item of the Rose Parade), or just a 1 year delay. We will get there, and when it happens is not significant as compared to what we are going through as a world and the suffering so many are experiencing. If you see a tall blond mom and a bunch of tall kids doing crazy WDW running around, just reach out and slap me and tell me to chill, I will! Thank you for sharing your magic with me today, Erin

Tomorrow is my 60 window
My brain is mush
Its funny that you said this as I was in a similar state at our 60 day mark, trying to figure out what to do and when. My wife came in to our computer room, looked at me and gave me a lovingly cuff to the head and told me to chill out as well. I tend to over analyse trip detail but as my wife then pointed out to me that our trips are always fun and successful so not to get to caught up in the minutiae and as always she was right :).

Have a basic plan but as many others have already put it, go with the flow and Enjoy.

You are staying at the Disneyland Hotel, right? Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday are Magic Mornings into Disneyland, Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday are Early Entry into Disney California Adventure, so, I would start Thursday in Disneyland too for the Magic Morning so you are in the park to get a shot at a BG.

One advantage to Christmas time is the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay, which I believe is not at WDW. That is the primary driver to stacking our visits in October, November, and December.

Downside would be crowds at that time, it’s pretty horrific!

Hey, now you can keep those DL planning clients when you’re done with all of this! Write it off as a business expense...it IS research!

... Any feedback SUPER appreciated, I feel like a fish out of water. Family is all teen and adult, WDW super fans...
Here are some threads with very helpful information for you:
Superthread for Disneyland Resort Closure, 3/14/20 - TBA: Please Post All Relevant Questions and Information Here! -- keep up with this thread to know the latest news on the DLR situation and whether the parks and hotels will be open for your trip dates
** June 2020 Check In ** -- join this thread to keep up with news and announcements for your trip dates, too
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a must read for you!
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- tons of helpful information here!
From that thread:
"Comparing DLR's MaxPass to WDW's FastPass+" - https://www.disboards.com/threads/comparing-dlrs-maxpass-to-wdws-fastpass.3726294/
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- read through this very helpful thread, then ask all your MP/FP questions here!
"Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information" by @3TinksAndAnEeyorewww.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2318297 -- the current situation has brought many changes to air travel and ground transportation -- ask questions here!
2020 Calendar of Events & School Breaks and DLR -- a must read when planning trip dates to DLR -- this can help with rescheduling dates
Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 2 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-3* -- go over the first 3 posts carefully, then read through this thread -- ask any questions about ROTR and how to get a boarding group there

Look over these threads, then come back with any further questions!

Erin

We are tentatively planning a trip for the same dates and one thing I will point out that no one else has mentioned is that there are Grad Nites on almost every one of those evenings, which means DCA closes at 9 and there are more teenagers hitting the parks in the afternoon. I’ve never experienced it myself, but from what I’ve read, you should rope drop DCA on a Grad Nite day and then hop to DL if it’s crowded. Plan any evening DCA activities you want to do (like World of Color) for a night that there is no Grad Nite!

Schools are now closed for the remainder of the school year in Anaheim, DL has laid off employees, so I would consider re-planning. We have hotels booked for those dates, highly doubtful at this point too.

... My backup plan is August if it might work, then maybe Christmas/New Year (I realize not ideal, but then I could also check off my major bucket list item of the Rose Parade), or just a 1 year delay...
August is a great time to visit DLR, but comes with its own set of issues. Try to visit before the third week of the month, if possible. You want the peak schedule with its longer hours, full staffing, no/fewer refurbs, more entertainment, nighttime entertainment every night, etc. The lower AP blockout starts lifting around the third week of August (this year it starts lifting on 8/17), which means a significant shift in the crowd patterns. Visit before that blockout lifts if you can. HM will go down for the Halloween overlay installation sometime during the third week of the month -- usually around the 20-somethingth and come back up the first day of Halloween Time in September. If this ride matters to you, visit earlier in the month! Star Wars Celebration will be at the Anaheim Convention Center from 8/27-30, so that could bring in some crowds. And DLR usually goes to the low/non-peak schedule around the third or fourth week of August, which means shorter hours, lower staffing, more refurbs, less entertainment, nighttime entertainment on weekends only (e.g. F! and fireworks), etc. The *** Official August 2020 Thread *** will have more information, and you can ask questions there. For Christmas Week (the busiest week of the year at DLR!), good planning is essential! Read through last year's Holiday Time Superthread (2019 Holiday Time at DLR Superthread: 11/08/19 - 1/06/20!) for a good idea of what was offered, when, where, crowd levels, etc.

Wow, again, you guys rock! I'm just starting and realizing....duh, I don't get my arrival day plus 10 like WDW to book dining, it looks like I have to go on each day for the 60 days out. Interesting!

I am so chill now because of you all, lol! I'll be reading the threads you advised theluckyrabbit! My heart goes out to the Disney employees with announcements yesterday, but if I understand it correctly, being laid off then allows them to get the unemployment and keep getting paid, it's just unreal. Remembering, hourly, that a year from now we will hopefully have treatment/vaccine for this, and we will be back in our favorite places standing in lines together and chatting with like minded, magic loving strangers from all over the world. The sooner the better, but we will get there. Not that you are terribly interested, but I will post updates on here as I get my dining made if it breaks up the boredom for anyone. Peace to you, Erin

Wow, again, you guys rock! I'm just starting and realizing....duh, I don't get my arrival day plus 10 like WDW to book dining, it looks like I have to go on each day for the 60 days out. Interesting!
You don't even really have to book dining in advance for DL at all, save for maybe Blue Bayou. You can, if there's a specific restaurant you want to try, but I have never had issues either walking up, which is what I usually will do there, or making a same-day reservation, which is what I did for Napa Rose. That said, I guess I generally tend to go at slightly less busy times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter