• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Planning first solo trip

I'm sorry to hear about your family struggles, but I don't think a solo trip has to be a lonely experience. I've never traveled alone and I always think it would be such an amazing experience to be able to do a vacation that was solely focused on my own whims and fancies :) Maybe try looking at this as an opportunity to DO YOU and find out who you are and who you want to be apart from your ex. My past two Disney trips have been as a part of a large group, and it can be hard planning a trip that makes everyone happy - it means everyone making compromises and concessions on different issues. This is a chance to not worry about anyone else, not have to compromise on what you want to do or how you want to spend your time. Book restaurants based solely on what YOU want to eat, or what you want to experience. This is a trip that is all about you. And if you're looking for a social outlet, I know I've seen threads for meetups for solo Disney travelers. Maybe you can make some new friends!

ETA, while I've never traveled alone, I did get married later than most of my friends. In my late 20's I was pretty much on my own while my friends settled into married life. I got bored sitting around at home, so I started going out alone. I'd go to a restaurant and just sit at the bar with a book and a meal and a glass of wine, I'd go to movies on my own. And while it felt slightly awkward at first, it's really only as awkward as you make it, and you'd be surprised how many people are happy to engage you in conversation if you're so inclined.

I did look at that but couldn't find any rooms at any hotels I was looking at. Middle of January it is.
The weather will be better and I didn’t consider that when I booked 🤦🏼‍♂️.

Well, if you’re ever solo at Disneyland and want to hang with an internet stranger, hit me up. I have an annual pass and live about 90min away. Cheers

I have been so nervous for my first solo trip to Disney and reading everyone's posts has put me at ease and made this whole process easier. I am now looking forward to doing things on my own schedule and enjoying my happy place from a different point of view ❤️ just wanted to say thank you

Hey everyone!

So here's my story. I've been to Disney twice, not counting my childhood trip in the early 90's, with my wife in 2020 and 2021.

I was all set to be going back in October of this year with her and her family for a 8 night trip.

But long story short she's about to be my ex wife and a trip with her family isn't in the cards anymore.

So I'd like to still get to have a disney trip even if it's not as soon as originally planned. And even if it's going to be a lonelier experience.

Any tips/advice will be appreciated. Especially about how to make it not feel quite as lonely. :)

Right now I'm eyeing January as a hopefully less busy time to go.
Jan is a top month for rides down for refurb...just a side note

Good to know. I'm not a thrill ride/coaster guy so hopefully I get lucky with what's down. If not, plenty of other things to do.
I was thinking the same thing though I hope that since Splash Mountain is going to close at some point this year for a re-theme, Disney will skip their January refurbishment and wait for that time instead.

The hardest thing about my solo trips is that I can do anything I want! So narrowing it down is always hard for me. 😂

I was just in Disney on my own while my family had a separate vacation and would echo everyone else's comments of being able to set your own schedule, adjust based on your own whims, etc as being great and the benefit of the solo trip.

For your particular situation (sorry by the way...), I would say that you don't need to worry about being lonely at Disney; if you're an introvert or like solitude there is quite literally zero issue with doing everything on your own. I rode the rides I wanted, ate where I wanted, drank where I wanted and I never experienced anything like odd looks or comments. Disney is where lots of people are doing things while their families are off doing something else. If you're an extrovert, you'll be around plenty of people who are up for talking; I never had a problem with chatting with neighbors at a bar, in line or who I was seated with on a ride.

Now you may need to be realistic, you will be surrounded by families (happy and unhappy ones!), so if you know this will be tough, maybe this isn't for you. If I knew being around couples and families was going to make me depressed, I wouldn't go to Disney. I sat on a bus for a longish ride with a couple on their honeymoon, if I was sensitive to this sort of thing it would have been miserable. At the restaurants there will be couple and families. Again, going solo at Disney is great and no problem, but if going through a divorce is going to make you sensitive to seeing others being seemingly happy in a family place, then you may want to think if something else is a better break.

I was just in Disney on my own while my family had a separate vacation and would echo everyone else's comments of being able to set your own schedule, adjust based on your own whims, etc as being great and the benefit of the solo trip.

For your particular situation (sorry by the way...), I would say that you don't need to worry about being lonely at Disney; if you're an introvert or like solitude there is quite literally zero issue with doing everything on your own. I rode the rides I wanted, ate where I wanted, drank where I wanted and I never experienced anything like odd looks or comments. Disney is where lots of people are doing things while their families are off doing something else. If you're an extrovert, you'll be around plenty of people who are up for talking; I never had a problem with chatting with neighbors at a bar, in line or who I was seated with on a ride.

Now you may need to be realistic, you will be surrounded by families (happy and unhappy ones!), so if you know this will be tough, maybe this isn't for you. If I knew being around couples and families was going to make me depressed, I wouldn't go to Disney. I sat on a bus for a longish ride with a couple on their honeymoon, if I was sensitive to this sort of thing it would have been miserable. At the restaurants there will be couple and families. Again, going solo at Disney is great and no problem, but if going through a divorce is going to make you sensitive to seeing others being seemingly happy in a family place, then you may want to think if something else is a better break.
Thank you! Im lookkng forward to the trip! (and not going through a divorce;)

Thank you for your thoughts. I will think more about it.

I just got back from a 15 day solo trip - 5 at Universal and 10 at Disney.

This time around I met up with some friends for a few days here and there. I enjoy their company but I actually got a little anxious when I was with them - which was a bit of a surprise. Going to the Hoop-De-Doo-Revue was much better with friends - in general eating with friends was nice - but touring at their pace and deciding with the group what to do next was not as nice. Although I very much enjoyed eating solo at 50's Prime Time and Sci-Fi Dine-in. And lingering over the Traditional English Breakfast at Three Broomsticks was great. No one in a hurry to get going again.

I'm not saying it was bad, just different then going solo. After every ride; "So what do you want to do next?" - "I don't know. What do you want to do?" - "Let's look at the wait times..."

Meeting up with them made me enjoy my solo time even more. In my experience, once you go solo it's hard to go back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter