• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pixar to Make a Star Wars Movie?

Twin Dad

DIS Dad #704
There's lots of possibilities of where they could go with this. And talk about coming full circle.

http://latino-review.com/2014/01/pixar-joining-star-wars-universe/

It was only a matter of time before Disney’s golden child animation acquisition was brought into the company franchise game. John Lasseter doubling his time at Disney Animation is a good cog in the machine, but there comes an opportunity to mix two potentially profitable brands together and see if the success can exponentially multiply. Or that must be the thinking at Disney, because we’ve heard that Pixar has been given their own Star Wars movie.

Once the canon-purge is over and Episode VII is in production, there will be a whole universe of Star Wars related content to play in. We’ve heard about TV shows,new comics tie-ins (Marvel, of course), spin-off movies for particular characters and now, a Pixar film.

At this point, no idea what the size or shape of this film will be and given the long-view storytelling production model that is part of the Pixar brand, this could be a long way off. We can expect it to take place in the middle of a Venn Diagram between Star Wars and A Pixar Movie, and what that means to you depends on your definition of both.

Star Wars and animation has some great possibilities. Or they could go and Animatrix it up (like The Dark Knight did). At least this looks to be a mix that could be potentially fruitful, especially since this will come out long after we’ve read several think pieces on the dilution of the brand.

Maybe WALL-E gave them a new take on Droids (and someone should scrub the taste of Fox’s Robots from our mouths), maybe the Jawas have an interesting culture (but not like a Smurf), maybe you don’t want a live-action movie of how Young Han Solo met Chewbacca, but if Pixar did it, maybe it’d be tolerable.

That would mean Lassiter and catmull would be vaulting over a fish...in my opinion

It would probably be a bull, tiger, or white... One would think.

The reason Pixar was (starting to wonder if "is" applies) was not only the computer tech... But an equally important emphasis on stories with new characters that had broad range appeal, heart, and humor to a discerning audience.

Using droids and stormtroopers for Pixar is crossing the Rubicon...in my Opinion

This would be really interested -- full circle is right! Disney Animation is working on an Animated Marvel film, so this idea isn't too far stretched.

I'm intrigued. Could be awesome.

The Clone Wars computer animated cartoon is pretty good. I'd imagine Pixar could do even better.

That would mean Lassiter and catmull would be vaulting over a fish...in my opinion

It would probably be a bull, tiger, or white... One would think.

The reason Pixar was (starting to wonder if "is" applies) was not only the computer tech... But an equally important emphasis on stories with new characters that had broad range appeal, heart, and humor to a discerning audience.

Using droids and stormtroopers for Pixar is crossing the Rubicon...in my Opinion
It really depends on where they go with it. If they do a Young Jedi Knights style, spin off using the Solo/Skywalker offspring, could still fit the mold. This is a Latino Review rumor so it could be true, half true, or studio planted misdirection. It would definitely be interesting to see if they try it.

Kind of funny full circle! Pixar was founded as the computer graphics/animation division of Lucasfilm before it was spun off. George Lucas hired Ed Catmull to run the division. Now both companies are reunited again under Disney and working together.

It really depends on where they go with it. If they do a Young Jedi Knights style, spin off using the Solo/Skywalker offspring, could still fit the mold. This is a Latino Review rumor so it could be true, half true, or studio planted misdirection. It would definitely be interesting to see if they try it.

Gonna have to still say they should steer clear of all that EU chotskie...for now.

If you believe hollywood reporter...abrams and his "backers" (which i believe to be the disney execs) have seemed to have won a little bit of struggle on the new movie...i would assume against the "lucas people" about where the story should go.
They seem to be trying to build the franchise back up from Jedi on...instead of going half cocked into all kinds of new half developed characters to sell product. That is the right approach...get the thing to be "memorable" again...not just "profitable"

here's hoping...and no i don't fully trust abrams either...more soul, less popcorn.

but for as much lamenting about cartoons that i see "new wave" star wars fans performing...i don't need pixar bogging itself down on B rate material. just my take

Gonna have to still say they should steer clear of all that EU chotskie...for now.

If you believe hollywood reporter...abrams and his "backers" (which i believe to be the disney execs) have seemed to have won a little bit of struggle on the new movie...i would assume against the "lucas people" about where the story should go.
They seem to be trying to build the franchise back up from Jedi on...instead of going half cocked into all kinds of new half developed characters to sell product. That is the right approach...get the thing to be "memorable" again...not just "profitable"

here's hoping...and no i don't fully trust abrams either...more soul, less popcorn.

but for as much lamenting about cartoons that i see "new wave" star wars fans performing...i don't need pixar bogging itself down on B rate material. just my take
I think you're right and the more I think about it I'm OK with that. I do think they should do a bit of cherry picking of the EU for their background for the new trilogy. If the Big 3 had offspring use the names provided in the EU. You don't need Jacen going dark. If you don't like that Chewbacca died in Vector Prime, then skip that. According to rumor, George hated Mara Jade Skywalker and she was written out because of it, if they don't like her leave Luke a widower. If they like her, bring her back. I'm probably reading too much into that casting list that was leaked last fall but those descriptions fit a number of prominent EU characters.

I think you're right and the more I think about it I'm OK with that. I do think they should do a bit of cherry picking of the EU for their background for the new trilogy. If the Big 3 had offspring use the names provided in the EU. You don't need Jacen going dark. If you don't like that Chewbacca died in Vector Prime, then skip that. According to rumor, George hated Mara Jade Skywalker and she was written out because of it, if they don't like her leave Luke a widower. If they like her, bring her back. I'm probably reading too much into that casting list that was leaked last fall but those descriptions fit a number of prominent EU characters.

I agree 10000% on this. I hope they don't ignore what has been written and established as somewhat "canon" for a while. I, for one, loved the Thrawn Trilogy as well as the Yhuzon Vong storyline. Even though the new triology won't be these stories, at least reference them....

I agree 10000% on this. I hope they don't ignore what has been written and established as somewhat "canon" for a while. I, for one, loved the Thrawn Trilogy as well as the Yhuzon Vong storyline. Even though the new triology won't be these stories, at least reference them....
I just finished the Thrawn trilogy for the upteenth time. It is still one of my favorite series. I think the New Jedi Order series is where they started to go down hill. Too many authors writing too many books in too tight of a time frame. The hard cover novels were great but the paper back stuff was one step up from fan fiction. The novels after that really left a bad taste in my mouth. The last series it took 9 novels for Jaina to get married. I have no idea what the heck they were trying to do with The Legacy of the Force Series. Luke went from all knowing Jedi Grand Master to dither old out of touch figure head and back that whole series. Also, I didn't like getting rid of Jacen the way they did. You have an original EU character with tons of potential to run the order and you turn him into a Sith Lord and kill him off to wrap up the series.
/rant

I just finished the Thrawn trilogy for the upteenth time. It is still one of my favorite series. I think the New Jedi Order series is where they started to go down hill. Too many authors writing too many books in too tight of a time frame. The hard cover novels were great but the paper back stuff was one step up from fan fiction. The novels after that really left a bad taste in my mouth. The last series it took 9 novels for Jaina to get married. I have no idea what the heck they were trying to do with The Legacy of the Force Series. Luke went from all knowing Jedi Grand Master to dither old out of touch figure head and back that whole series. Also, I didn't like getting rid of Jacen the way they did. You have an original EU character with tons of potential to run the order and you turn him into a Sith Lord and kill him off to wrap up the series.
/rant

I stopped reading after the Yhuzon Vong series. Now I've jumped to the "Old Republic" timeframe of books. Just finished the Darth Bane books which were really good as was Darth Plaguis.

Anyways, back on point. I'm really curious as to what they will do with the story for the new movies. I hope they stay true to the EU but as long as the new movies are a really good developed story, and not just a collection of CGI action, then I'll be happy. ::yes::

Maybe my husband's 80's action figures could come to life in a Pixar flick......I sure hope Hans Solo gets his other arm back :rotfl2:

This is one of those rumors that seems to be people grabbing a trunk and thinking it's a tail.

Lasseter is on the Disney brain trust which means at one point or another he seems to see most Disney scripts and makes suggestions to tweak stories.

Pixar aren't doing anything Star Wars related. Pixar is it's own brand and actually very carefully protected both by Disney and Lasseter himself. Notice that Planes was a Disney movie, not a Pixar one.

This is one of those rumors that seems to be people grabbing a trunk and thinking it's a tail.

Lasseter is on the Disney brain trust which means at one point or another he seems to see most Disney scripts and makes suggestions to tweak stories.

Pixar aren't doing anything Star Wars related. Pixar is it's own brand and actually very carefully protected both by Disney and Lasseter himself. Notice that Planes was a Disney movie, not a Pixar one.
I have a hard time believing Disney would pass up on an opportunity to use their franchises to make a buck. With new movies you have new toy and clothing lines. Not to mention opening Star Wars up to an even younger audience. I would not be surprised if they released an animated Star Wars that looks like a Pixar film without attaching the Pixar name.

Twin Dad said:
I have a hard time believing Disney would pass up on an opportunity to use their franchises to make a buck. With new movies you have new toy and clothing lines. Not to mention opening Star Wars up to an even younger audience. I would not be surprised if they released an animated Star Wars that looks like a Pixar film without attaching the Pixar name.

They're already working in an animated Star Wars series and we won't see anything in the cinemas that gets in the way of Episode VII.

If that is as successful as they hope all bets are off. But not before then.

They're already working in an animated Star Wars series and we won't see anything in the cinemas that gets in the way of Episode VII.

If that is as successful as they hope all bets are off. But not before then.

I don't think they could get an animated film done before the end of 2015 if they wanted to. I think it makes sense to do something for the younger kids. Rebels is supposed to be more of an adult show.

I don't think they could get an animated film done before the end of 2015 if they wanted to. I think it makes sense to do something for the younger kids. Rebels is supposed to be more of an adult show.

Rebels is going to be aired on Disney XD which they sell to advertisers as primarily aimed at boys 6-14. I don't think it's going to be very adult.

They could possibly do something for a younger age range but they you have to ask, how many Star Wars projects would they try to run simultaneously?

It would make more sense to re-establish the core franchise before branching out too heavily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter