Pirate Cruise at GF

marymrg

DIS Veteran
Not sure if this is the right board. Has anyone done this? I am thinking of booking it for my 6 year old son. He seems very excited about it.
MaryG

Here's a "short story" I wrote based on what my then 7 y.o. grandson said about his pirate cruise:

Grand Floridian Resort’s Pirate Cruise

Bright and early on Thursday morning (August 29, 2003), William and I started our journey to the Grand Floridian Resort on the far side of the Seven Seas Lagoon from Fort Wilderness. We drove our electric cart to the Ft. Wilderness Marina and caught the small launch to the Contemporary Resort.

At the Contemporary we were first in line at the monorail station and I asked the attendant if we could ride up front with the monorail driver. He said it would depend on whether or not someone was already riding up front. When the monorail pulled in a family exited the driver’s compartment and the attendant motioned us to climb in.

Yay! William’s first ride on the monorail and we got to ride up front! We rode from the Contemporary to the TTC (ticket and transportation center), then to the Polynesian Resort, and then exited at the Grand Floridian. Both William and I received “co-pilots licenses” from the driver as a memento of our ride.

At the Grand Floridian Marina, William donned a life jacket and a pirate’s bandana. The pirate crew, supervised by three adult Disney Cast Members (DCMs), climbed aboard their ship (a pontoon boat) and set sail across the Seven Seas Lagoon on a two hour adventure looking for treasure! As the ship pulled away from the dock, the pirate crew gave a loud pirate roar … ARRRRRRRRRGH!

According to William, the boat sailed for a bit then stopped near an island where one of the DCMs pulled a bottle out of the water. Then teasing the kids he tossed it back into the lagoon before retrieving it a second time and opening it. Inside was a piece of a treasure map! Using the map as a guide the pirate crew headed to a second island.

This island had two volcano slides (Polynesian Resort?)and the pirates disembarked to hunt for the next clue. Another piece of the treasure map was found under a bush. The pirate crew climbed back onto the boat and headed towards the Contemporary Resort.

At the Contemporary one of the DCMs jumped off the boat saying that she was going to go get the treasure for herself and the pirate ship took off without her! The quick thinking DCM “stole” a mouse boat from the Contemporary’s marina and chased the pirate ship into Bay Lake.

The second piece of the treasure map directed the pirate crew to River Country at Fort Wilderness across Bay Lake. Once more the intrepid pirate crew disembarked to search for the third and final piece of the treasure map. Once located, the final map piece directed them to cross a wooden suspension bridge (watch out, those spiders bite). Safely across the bridge the pirates searched, this time finding a wooden treasure chest with brass fittings filled with loot bags (containing candy, jewels, and small toys).

Carrying the treasure chest the pirate crew boarded their ship a final time to journey back to the Grand Floridian Resort. During the return voyage the pirates ate a brown bag lunch consisting of PB&J on wheat bread, Rice Krispie Treat bar, Gummi Bears and a juice box.

My DD did the Pirate Cruise and really had a great time! She loved playing "pirate" (her only complaint was that it was hot - she went in June). All the kids seemed to have had a great time!

On our next trip, she's trying Grand Adventures in Cooking (1st time), and doing the Tea Party again (4th time).

Enjoy!

It sounds wonderful! I'm sure my dd (4.5) would love it! She goes to pre-school & is very good about following instructions and playing nicely with other kids.

I'm kindof worried, though, about sending her out on a boat. She doesn't swim & life jacket or not, panic's in the water unless someone is holding her.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Kimberle

I'm kindof worried, though, about sending her out on a boat. She doesn't swim & life jacket or not, panic's in the water unless someone is holding her.

:rolleyes:

I would not worry about that. My 3.5 yo went on it last month & loved it. He has NEVER been swimming (he has a lot of ear problems so we are waiting before any swimming lessons) The kids never go into the water, the life jackets are a just in case someone falls in.
My son had a wonderful time & still plays with the treasures they found that day :)

My two oldest were 5.5 and 7 when they went, and they absolutely loved it. When we go back in 2005, all four of my boys will be old enough to go on the cruise, so that's two hours for DH and me!:p

The pirate cruise is one thing that the boys have talked about doing again when we go back (as well as the Buzz Lightyear ride).

Lori P.

I am still picking up "Loot" and we went in June!

My Ds's (4 and 6) really enjoyed the PC. They still talk about it and know the song! The caps make a nice souvenir and we had 2 hours to ourselves.

I was a little concerned, but you can see the "lsland" from the marina and they really don't spend much time on the water. They are also very cautious about launching in bad weather. My youngest was a little apprehensive about leaving us, but big brother put his arm around him and walked him down the dock.

The PC was full and they are very strict about not taking additional children. They had 23 children with 3 CM's. (I asked)

I did not see any child have a meltdown and miss the boat so the ages are appropriate. They also buddy up once on the Island so they get to make a new friend! My 2 stuck together.
All in all it was a great experience and we will definitely do it again.

I keep calling for September 1st - but it's full. :( I'm hoping for a cancellation. They told me it's 48 hours prior so maybe when I'm there, we'll luck out. I wish I hadn't told my son about it.........he's disappointed he can't go. Oh well, I'll remember for the next trip if he doesn't make it this time.
Mary

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter