• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pipe burst at Contemporary

Unfortunately deferring infrastructure maintenance is one of the easiest corners to cut when you are trying to maximize profits (especially things no one sees) but when it breaks its even more expensive to fix. With the Japanese and Chinese parks now closed Im sure Disney corporate is scrambling to make up costs any way they can. There are plenty of wonderful things that they are upgrading and improving at the parks, but they still have a long way to go... I keep wondering when we are gonna see parts of the monorail literally fall off with the shape that they are in.

Wasn’t there another water/pipe issue at Contemporary recently? I may be mistaken but I seem to remember something similar within the last 12 months or so.

WDW does seem to be having some out of the ordinary troubles lately.

How would they prevent a sudden pipe burst? Summarily replace pipes on a time schedule like every 20 years?

Not sure whether cities should but cities don't dig up the streets and replace the water mains every 40 years or so, a different street or po9rtion scheduled every week. So every once in awhile it makes the news that a water main burst. People were unable to take showers and/or traffic was snarled and/or basements were flooded, etc.

One condominium complex I have owned a unit at had frequent leaks due to unusually acidic (town) water. For each leak they would replace as much of the pipe they could see and reach rather than just cut out just a 6 inch section with the leak and replace that. Still, there were not too infrequent dry mornings.

For Disney I am sure they fix leaks as soon as possible, Heck, they were out replacing the frozen flowers in a garden the very next day after a cold snap night one December when I was there.

Last edited:
How would they prevent a sudden pipe burst? Summarily replace pipes on a time schedule like every 20 years?

Not sure whether cities should but cities don't dig up the streets and replace the water mains every 40 years or so, a different street or po9rtion scheduled every week.

I guess speak for yourself (as in it clearly varies by area), but that's just what they do here in our local area. They keep track of the age of pipes and will replace the aging pipes to prevent large disasters. A local town just spent the last two years redoing all their pipes.

Smart home and business owners do the same - they replace their plumbing, electrical, roofing etc... before issues arise. Sometimes things just happen, definitely, but, there are often tell-tale signs that a system is aging and needs maintenance, they just often get missed out of ignorance, or ignored due to $$$.

I guess speak for yourself (as in it clearly varies by area), but that's just what they do here in our local area. They keep track of the age of pipes and will replace the aging pipes to prevent large disasters. A local town just spent the last two years redoing all their pipes.

You're local area is more forward thinking than most areas.
Some places are still using wooden water mains. NY Times article from 2009

Situation normal on The Dis: THE SKY IS FALLING!

WDW is a massive complex with millions of things that can (and will) fail at any given moment. It's like expecting nothing at all to go wrong in a city of 300,000 people in the course of a day. Things happen. There's nothing The Mouse can do about it. Try to enjoy yourselves anyway?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter