** Picture of the Day 3 **

Great shot! I have a Nikon D5000 and I'm interested in a lens that I can get good night/low-light shots. I've ruined so many shots at WDW with my kit lenses. Another Dis'er has steered me in the direction of a 50mm but I'm also interested in something not too expensive that will allow me to zoom in a little more. Any thoughts? This is the one I've been researching but any advice would be appreciated. http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-17-50mm-Aperture-Standard-Digital/dp/B003A6NU3U

I've had great results over the years with daytime pictures...I literally have none at dusk or at night. I'd love to get fireworks, and landscaping shots around the world.

Thanks!

Don't forget about a decent tripod. You can get great shots with the glass you have if you get the camera held steady and play with the exposure settings.

Great shot! I have a Nikon D5000 and I'm interested in a lens that I can get good night/low-light shots. I've ruined so many shots at WDW with my kit lenses. Another Dis'er has steered me in the direction of a 50mm but I'm also interested in something not too expensive that will allow me to zoom in a little more. Any thoughts? This is the one I've been researching but any advice would be appreciated. http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-17-50mm-Aperture-Standard-Digital/dp/B003A6NU3U

I've had great results over the years with daytime pictures...I literally have none at dusk or at night. I'd love to get fireworks, and landscaping shots around the world.

Thanks!

Thanks and sorry for not answering earlier. For nighttime landscapes and fireworks, my favorite lens when I was shooting with the Nikon D7000 was the Tokina 11 - 16 mm f/2.8. I think it would be a good choice for your D5000 for what you want to shoot.

019.jpg
:tink:

Vanitas Still Life ala Renaissance Period

Still working on Still Life.

This Still Life picture was taken and edited with the Renaissance Art Period in mind. This period used the Chiaroscuro Light and Dark technique to solely focus the viewer on the subject matter. There are also symbolic elements in this still life (like those found in Vanitas paintings) to remind us of the transience of mortal life.
In simple terms, still lifes may be classified into four principal groups, including: (1) flower pieces; (2) breakfast or banquet pieces; (3) animal pieces.
The final group (4) Symbolic Still Lifes convey a more complex message. This is a wider category that denotes any type of still life with an overt symbolic narrative, usually religious or quasi-religious in nature. A specific example of such symbolism is the type known as Vanitas painting which contain symbolic images (eg. skulls, snuffed candles, hourglasses with the sand running out, butterflies, dying flowers) to remind the viewer of the transience and triviality of mortal life.

To get this shot, the subjects were placed in a dark room (I don't have any sort of studio set up, lights or anything else) and then 'painted' with an LED light. It's a 4 second exposure for this picture.

Vanitas Still Life ala Renaissance Period

Still working on Still Life.

This Still Life picture was taken and edited with the Renaissance Art Period in mind. This period used the Chiaroscuro Light and Dark technique to solely focus the viewer on the subject matter. There are also symbolic elements in this still life (like those found in Vanitas paintings) to remind us of the transience of mortal life.
In simple terms, still lifes may be classified into four principal groups, including: (1) flower pieces; (2) breakfast or banquet pieces; (3) animal pieces.
The final group (4) Symbolic Still Lifes convey a more complex message. This is a wider category that denotes any type of still life with an overt symbolic narrative, usually religious or quasi-religious in nature. A specific example of such symbolism is the type known as Vanitas painting which contain symbolic images (eg. skulls, snuffed candles, hourglasses with the sand running out, butterflies, dying flowers) to remind the viewer of the transience and triviality of mortal life.

To get this shot, the subjects were placed in a dark room (I don't have any sort of studio set up, lights or anything else) and then 'painted' with an LED light. It's a 4 second exposure for this picture.

Beautiful, and very cool!

Thanks and sorry for not answering earlier. For nighttime landscapes and fireworks, my favorite lens when I was shooting with the Nikon D7000 was the Tokina 11 - 16 mm f/2.8. I think it would be a good choice for your D5000 for what you want to shoot.

Thanks so much! I went to your Flickr photo stream and I had to wipe the drool from the sides of my mouth! AMAZING does not do your work justice....wow. It's also ironic that you have shots of the US southwest. My family and I are traveling there next summer...taking a year off from Disney. Horseshoe Bend is on the agenda too....

So the lens you recommend has a version that is auto-focus which I like. Will this lens allow me to zoom in a bit or would I need another lens if I wanted to zoom AND take low light/nighttime shots? Just trying to figure out how to do both...although sometimes, I think I wouldn't need to zoom for low light shots - especially if they're fireworks etc. I have the two kit lenses that came with my Nikon D5000 and they're great for daytime shots but after that, it's a total downer. Thanks for the info and I apologize for the questions.:worship:

Thanks so much! I went to your Flickr photo stream and I had to wipe the drool from the sides of my mouth! AMAZING does not do your work justice....wow. It's also ironic that you have shots of the US southwest. My family and I are traveling there next summer...taking a year off from Disney. Horseshoe Bend is on the agenda too....

So the lens you recommend has a version that is auto-focus which I like. Will this lens allow me to zoom in a bit or would I need another lens if I wanted to zoom AND take low light/nighttime shots? Just trying to figure out how to do both...although sometimes, I think I wouldn't need to zoom for low light shots - especially if they're fireworks etc. I have the two kit lenses that came with my Nikon D5000 and they're great for daytime shots but after that, it's a total downer. Thanks for the info and I apologize for the questions.:worship:

If you're going to Horseshoe Bend, you really need to have that Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 lens he mentioned.

And you're in for a real treat. We've been all over the southwest. And that is my hands down favorite sight of all.

Don't forget about a decent tripod. You can get great shots with the glass you have if you get the camera held steady and play with the exposure settings.

I've heard that but when we're at Disney, I'm really trying to avoid carrying a tripod. You're absolutely right though... The exposure settings is another animal in itself. I have no idea what I'm doing. Thinking of taking a photography class and I just bought a book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Just started reading it.

Thanks for the info!

If you're going to Horseshoe Bend, you really need to have that Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 lens he mentioned.

And you're in for a real treat. We've been all over the southwest. And that is my hands down favorite sight of all.

Yes, the sight in pictures is great...I can only imagine in person. My family and I have been going to WDW for the last 13-14 years. My wife wants something different and my son and I decided to oblige :-)....although we've decided to wait until some of the new attractions open at WDW before we go back. The southwest has always attracted us [we're from Connecticut] so we're very excited and can't wait to go. Grand Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, Sedona, and Vegas are all on our list. Any suggestions for a hotel at Grand Canyon [North Rim]? I think this is where we're targeting. The preliminary plan is to fly into Vegas and drive to Sedona for a couple days. Then proceed to Grand Canyon for a few days, then Horseshoe bend, returning to Vegas for a few days there. I'd consider other places too...would love to do as much as possible....in about 10-12 days.

...and thank you for the confirmation on the lens. I've been doing so much research online and it always ends up that someone on these Dis boards always gives me the greatest advice. So thank you!

Yes, the sight in pictures is great...I can only imagine in person. My family and I have been going to WDW for the last 13-14 years. My wife wants something different and my son and I decided to oblige :-)....although we've decided to wait until some of the new attractions open at WDW before we go back. The southwest has always attracted us [we're from Connecticut] so we're very excited and can't wait to go. Grand Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, Sedona, and Vegas are all on our list. Any suggestions for a hotel at Grand Canyon [North Rim]? I think this is where we're targeting. The preliminary plan is to fly into Vegas and drive to Sedona for a couple days. Then proceed to Grand Canyon for a few days, then Horseshoe bend, returning to Vegas for a few days there. I'd consider other places too...would love to do as much as possible....in about 10-12 days.

...and thank you for the confirmation on the lens. I've been doing so much research online and it always ends up that someone on these Dis boards always gives me the greatest advice. So thank you!

Pony up for at least one night at the lodge on the North rim. It's well worth it to sit on that deck at sunset and to be right there to go out at sunrise. Just stunning.

Grand Canyon is cool, but there are many parks we rate above it. Arches is our favorite. We're gearing up to head out there again this summer. I've forgotten how many times we've been. Bryce is also amazing. Well worth the time to hike down in. We also like Zion, Canyonlands and Captiol Reef.

I know you can't do it all. It's always better to pick a few areas to do well than to just skim through everything. But if you can get to Arches, it's well worth it. There's a scenic drive into the back side of the park that is just amazing. The road follows the Colorado. And if you're going to Arches, Canyonlands is right nearby.

Pony up for at least one night at the lodge on the North rim. It's well worth it to sit on that deck at sunset and to be right there to go out at sunrise. Just stunning.

Grand Canyon is cool, but there are many parks we rate above it. Arches is our favorite. We're gearing up to head out there again this summer. I've forgotten how many times we've been. Bryce is also amazing. Well worth the time to hike down in. We also like Zion, Canyonlands and Captiol Reef.

I know you can't do it all. It's always better to pick a few areas to do well than to just skim through everything. But if you can get to Arches, it's well worth it. There's a scenic drive into the back side of the park that is just amazing. The road follows the Colorado. And if you're going to Arches, Canyonlands is right nearby.

I owe you a finders fee!!! It's on its way! I totally plan on staying at the lodge...I've heard the same thing from everyone....."you have to stay there and watch the sunset"....Done! OMG...Arches is a must-do! This is what I want my lens for....it looks amazing there. I forgot to mention in my previous post. Where do you stay for Arches?

Sounds like a great time!:-)

I owe you a finders fee!!! It's on its way! I totally plan on staying at the lodge...I've heard the same thing from everyone....."you have to stay there and watch the sunset"....Done! OMG...Arches is a must-do! This is what I want my lens for....it looks amazing there. I forgot to mention in my previous post. Where do you stay for Arches?

Sounds like a great time!:-)

For Arches, anywhere in Moab is fine. We usually stay at the Comfort In (or Suites?) there.

Sunflowers in the Afternoon, Impressionist Style

Still on Still Life. :)

Impressionism was an art movement in France at the end of the 19th century. Impressionism was a style of painting that used a more scientific analysis of colour to capture the effects of light in nature.

The Impressionists were excited by contemporary developments in colour theory which helped their search for a more exact analysis of the effects of colour and light in nature. They abandoned the conventional idea that the shadow of an object was made up from its colour with some brown or black added. Instead, they enriched their colours with the idea that the shadow of an object is broken up with dashes of its complementary colour.

The Impressionists were the first group of artists to embrace painting 'en plein air' (painting outside). They sought to capture the atmosphere of a particular time of day or the effects of different weather conditions on the landscape. The Impressionists had to paint quickly to capture the atmosphere of a particular time of day or the effects of different weather conditions on the landscape. The speed of the Impressionists' painting technique forced them to sacrifice accurate line and detail in favour of atmospheric effect.
Still life was not hugely popular with the Impressionists, mainly because it was not a 'plein air' subject suited to capturing the atmospheric qualities of light and color. However there are a few outstanding examples where fruit and vegetables are carefully chosen to create a range of prismatic colours that span the Impressionist spectrum.

This Still Life picture was taken ‘en plein air’ in the afternoon. Taking a picture with a camera sensor mimics the ‘speed’ that the Impressionists had to work under. Post-production in NIK Colour Pro has allowed for the picture to be manipulated so that the line details can be soften (I think I used the Fog Efex in the Colour Pro) and the colour palette rendered to Pastels (again in Colour Pro).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter