Pics Of Space Shuttle Launch Viewed From Disneyworld!

curemyreed

DIS Veteran
Who has pictures taken from within Disneyworld---parks and resorts---of a space shuttle launch? Will you please post them here?

I would like to start a thread...only I can't add mine until September!!!

Please show me what I can expect to see in September! popcorn::

This is a photo from last March from the boat dock at Wilderness Lodge. This was an evening launch so it was a brilliant fireball launching into the sky.

Same launch as the earlier poster - last March. We were at the end of Main Street waiting to see the parade. :yay:
100_1722.jpg

That is a stunning photograph!

Sad to think the manned space exploration program is coming to an end.

That's ok we can still bum a ride with Russia:confused3
Who knows maybe China will let us ride on thier Shuttle :thumbsup2 You know the one they built with our money and the stolen designs:rolleyes1

We lucked out and got to see a launch in 2008. There was a crowd outside Movies waiting for it...one man had a radio tuned in to the launch so he could tell us when it had cleared the tower and we should start watching.

It was magical...and what was amazing was how loud it was! I had no idea we'd be able to hear it from that distance!

Sadly, there was some sort of paper company fire in the Orlando area that day so it was very hazy...which affected how long we could see the shuttle.

Still, it is one of our favorite memories of that trip!

Several years ago my SOn was about 3 or 4 he was a Buzz Lightyear freak
As we were leaving BWV to go to airport the valet asked if were going to watch shuttle launch.
We did not know there was on scheduled
We get on plane and take off.
The Pilot announces that if you look out the window you will see space shuttle launching.
My son was convinced it was Buzz following us hoem
'
Great memory we always talk about.

My VIDEO:
Space Shuttle Discovery Launch STS-131 (NASA Causeway launch viewing site) at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2443283

STS-131 Discovery (April 05, 2010 - approx. 6:21AM) soars over Cinderella Castle by Disney photographer Kent Phillips. Kent snapped the images near Country Bear Jamboree in Frontierland.
ssc001128SMALL.jpg

STS-131 Discovery’s exhaust trail catching the first rays of sunlight. Hidden Mickey!
ssd101024SMALL.jpg

Some pictures from space shuttle launch threads.....

krbq said:
PICT0058-1.jpg

This is a photo of the launch of Discovery in October 2007 as seen from the boat dock at the Grand Floridian (it looks like it's shooting out of the roof of the Contemporary). The vapor trail at the top of the photo is from the NASA spotter plane that had just passed over Disney World.

jundland said:
We were visiting Epcot last May and knew there was to be an afternoon launch. We asked a cast member which direction we should look in to see the shuttle launch. After finding a good spot to view from, we started watching the skyline (and started getting strange looks from other park guests as we stared at apparently nothing).

Blah blah blah........ here are a few pictures. The launch occured right over test track, and we viewed from the walkway between Future World and World Showcase.

2008disneyvacationflorida532.jpg

2008disneyvacationflorida531.jpg

2008disneyvacationflorida535.jpg

TimandTanya said:
Space Shuttle is scheduled to laungh at 4:04pm on Nov. 12, 2009. With the time change Nov. 1 at 2 a.m. it shoud be getting near dusk by then, with the sun going down behind the trees, buildings, etc. Here is a picture of what you should be able to see, if the day is clear.

537478467_10386449fb.jpg

Metro West said:
This is shot of a night launch last year from my front yard. This is about all you'll see anywhere in the Orlando area. If it's during the day, you'll only see the contrail but at night...it's spectacular!

DSC02224.jpg

zackiedawg said:
I can see the launches from my backyard down in South Florida - during the day, it's a small white streak, and during the night, a hot, bright star. We're quite a distance away, so it's amazing it can be seen that well.

However, I got my closer Disney view in Dec 06. I was coming back from a long park day, staying at Saratoga Springs, and decided to walk over to Marketplace around 9pm to shoot some night shots. I grabbed my ultrazoom and tripod, and took the footpath into Marketplace. On my way, the sun decided to rise rather suddenly directly in front of me. This was somewhat strange, being after 9pm. It was bright enough to read a book by.

It took me a few seconds to register what this was - I seemed to recall the shuttle was supposed to go off sometime that weekend, but had completely forgotten about it...and without having previously experiencing quite how bright and obvious it was from WDW, I didn't really have reason to mark this event in my brain.

I was only able to quickly turn my camera on, stick it on the tripod, spin it to manual mode, and try in .5 seconds to figure out the best shutter and aperture combo for something I've never shot before. I just stuck it on 20 seconds, quick focused, and pressed the shutter (no time for self-timers, so camera shake was inevitable). And the tripod was set up unevenly with two feet in the grass. And I hadn't white balanced. And I didn't close down the aperture enough. And I had no time to zoom in. And there were obnoxious street lights right in my shot. It was far from the best shot I've ever taken, but I still have fond memories of witnessing such an awesome sight:

71662571.jpg

The brightness, the clear visibility of the shuttle, the ascension through the atmosphere, booster ejection, and final blue glow as it faded from view, followed by the delayed echo of the cheering masses which floated across the lake from Downtown Disney and Marketplace, sent a shiver down my spine and a tear to my eye - a great and powerful thing to witness so close. I can only imagine how much more stunning it must be from the Space Coast area...it's now on my list of things I must do.

You bette hurry I believe there are only one or two more launches and we are out of the space buisness.
But that's ok we can allways bum a ride on a Chinese rocket:confused3

This is the contrail that hung in the morning sky for about an hour after launch of Discovery last month. We watched the launch from the marina of Wilderness Lodge with about a dozen other people. I have video and a few dark photos. This is what we saw in the sky while head back to our room. Viewing the launch was one of the highlights of my life!

April5033.jpg

This is mine - taken from the back of my limo back to the airport - my driver suddenly moved the partition down and called over to me to have a quick look :)

Unfortunately there was a reflection from the TV screen and being in a moving limo not exactly the ideal place to take photos lol but it certainly was the perfect end to a great holdiay seeing this.

DSC01769-1-1.jpg

DSC01770-2-1.jpg

Do shuttle launches and rocket launches look the same from WDW? I see that during our trip, a rocket is scheduled to be launched at around 5am. Is it worth getting up for a rocket?

TIA!

Do shuttle launches and rocket launches look the same from WDW? I see that during our trip, a rocket is scheduled to be launched at around 5am. Is it worth getting up for a rocket?

TIA!

Well, I would get up for it but I am a total space geek!
It depends on what type of rocket but you will be able to see something of it from WDW.

We were able to see the space shuttle launch in March 2009 from the Pop Century Resort. Here are a couple pictures.
DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

SpaceX is launching a rocket to the ISS while we are there on May 7th. OUr Kennedy trip is scheduled for May 9th but I am wondering what a rocket launch will look like from Disney-right now it's scheduled for 9ish AM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter