Pick-a-Pearl in the Japan Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elevationist

Princess No-Pants
I'm considering doing the Pick-a-Pearl in the Japan Pavilion at Epcot on my next trip. Is there anywhere online that I can see all the different settings available and their costs? I'd like to budget accordingly before I go. :goodvibes

We didn't have much luck finding prices in advance of our trip, but I can share what we paid. It's about $18 to pick your pearl. My daughter got hers set in this horseshoe - it was about $35 without a chain. Sorry it's a little blurry.

IMG_20130822_174316_077_zps331445d0.jpg

The pick a pearl is awesome... paying 50 bucks for a setting not so much, especially since all they do is glue it in, or just put it in the cage. If you want a cage, you can get the same exact settings as at disney on etsy for about 5 dollars. I would buy a setting ahead of time, and bring it with.

This person has pictures of the pearl counters, though it is several years old, and will vary by a few dollars.

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/melissadeierlein/library/Pick-A-Pearl?sort=3&page=1

I heard years ago when you pick a pearl, you are supposed to pick the ugliest shell you can find. I tried that when we were at EPCOT in 2012. I had already told my husband this trick, and he picked a pearl and I picked a pearl. His pearl was on the larger side, but I got twins!!! It was awesome. I had a pair of earrings made, and my husband had a necklace made for me.

I did this in November as a gift for my 8 yr old niece. After looking at the necklace settings, I wasn't taken with any of them, at least the ones in my price range. Turns out, many of the settings can be found on ebay. If you search pick a pearl settings there, many options come up. I found the Cinderella carriage setting for $10. Make sure you check what size pearl the setting can accomodate before you purchase. I saved a bunch of money and it was beautiful. That said, we had so much fun choosing our oyster. My son chose it, and it turned out to have an 8mm gold pearl. So pretty!

The pick a pearl is awesome... paying 50 bucks for a setting not so much, especially since all they do is glue it in, or just put it in the cage. If you want a cage, you can get the same exact settings as at disney on etsy for about 5 dollars. I would buy a setting ahead of time, and bring it with.

This person has pictures of the pearl counters, though it is several years old, and will vary by a few dollars.

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/melissadeierlein/library/Pick-A-Pearl?sort=3&page=1
Those photos were extremely helpful! Thank you!

I'm nervous about buying a setting ahead of time, just in case I luck out and get a huge pearl... too huge for a previously-purchased setting.

However, thanks to all the helpful suggestions in this thread, now that I know that if there's nothing there for sale that I both like & can afford, I can always bring the pearl home with me then order a cage-style setting myself online for cheaper. :thumbsup2

Thanks, ya'll! :grouphug:

I did the Pick-a-Pearl a few days ago and the experience was really fun! However, if I were you I'd suggest getting a necklace prior to the trip (I know there are Cinderella carriage ones online that are really cute) or at least getting the chain. I ended up spending $16 for the pearl, $18 for a necklace setting (no chain) and then a chain (which I guess I figured was included with the setting) for like $18. Plus a box to hold it since you have to let it set and can't wear it til the next day. I LOVE the necklace but it was a LOT more expensive getting everything there. I wish I would've got a setting or at least a chain prior to the trip!

I just found a few really cute cages and bead/pearl lockets on Etsy and bought two - one for my daughter and one for me. I think we'll be fine regardless of the size of the pearl. Best part - they were only $2 and $4.00 each!

I got the exact Cinderella carriage cage on eBay for 5 dollars (while in the park its 50$++). Granted the back of it is now that brownish copper color instead of silver

I heard years ago when you pick a pearl, you are supposed to pick the ugliest shell you can find. I tried that when we were at EPCOT in 2012. I had already told my husband this trick, and he picked a pearl and I picked a pearl. His pearl was on the larger side, but I got twins!!! It was awesome. I had a pair of earrings made, and my husband had a necklace made for me.

Me too. I picked the ugliest and hairiest. Worked for me. I got twins two :) I think I paid about 10 bucks to have then set in plain studs. I love them

Josh on easywdw had pictures of the all the settings available. Not sure how long ago that was but if you search his site you'd probably find the pictures and get an idea of what is available, prices may have changed since then.

I did it with my daughters last January and it was really fun. We each got three different colored pearls that we had set in the same necklace.

I was soo excited to do this when we went in 2006. I bought a ring, let it sit the amount of time not wearing in order for the glue to set then the first day I wore it the pearl fell off. Of course it was the last day of my trip with no chance to get back. When I got home I contacted them and they told me to send the ring back and they would put a new pearl on. I did and they did only to have it happen again. This time I at least found the pearl so I took it to my local jeweler and had them glue it and it has stayed fine ever since. This time I decided to buy a cage. I just bought the Minnie cage, it came yesterday woohooo. I have read suggestions to cover the cage with clear nail polish to prevent tarnishing. Anyway, not sure how much that helps but please be careful if you choose a ring setting and buying before will allow you to wear it right away at much less cost (Minnie was $8 and will hold up to 10mm).

I'm afraid not. I let the 6 year old choose the setting and this is what she picked, then grandma paid for all three of them as a gift to us so I have no idea what the cost was. I do vaguely remember looking at the case after my dd chose this and making sure it was one of the less expensive options since we were getting three of them. I'm pretty they were under the $20 range (each, not total).

We have had 4 pearls set in Japan, in 4 different settings and never had any issues with any of them. The last one was done in summer of 2010 and I wear it several times a week, and it's still just a pretty and solid as the day we got it.

I also got the Cinderella cage on Etsy before our trip and the size was perfect for mine and my mom's. I also had heard to pick the ugliest, harriest (is that a word??) one and they have the prettiest pearls. Well my mom got an 8mm (the biggest so far of the day) and I got twin SILVER pearls...just gorgeous.

I just ordered the Minnie cage from ebay for our upcoming trip as well after seeing it on this board. I'm excited to pick a pearl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter