Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

I've seen another article on the A7r sensor and why it's very finicky. It was designed for Nikon DSLR. I'll have to dig it up.

1) You are gaining IBIS vs. no IBIS DSLR. Whether that is important or not is up to you. For Tom it seemed to be important. In fact he previously showed examples of shots he would not have been able to get with the Nikon. So he lost shots with the Sony because of menu but did earlier claim the reverse due to IBIS.

2) Agree. The argument is that the new Sony lenses are designed for the next generation of higher Mpx cameras and are higher quality. Can be debated. I know I wont be buying the new FE 50mm 1.4 any time soon. The only real "hole" it the lineup for me is a 135mm 2.8. In Nikon and Canon's favor, their lenses would seem to hold their value better over time.

3) Everyone bashed the NEX menu system. It's cluttered but after playing with the A6000 the new menu definitely feels more confusing. Some of it can be blamed on all the new features but still... I'm happy shooting in Manual with the Tri-Nav system.

Moving to DSLR would mean no EVF which again is personal preference. I love using EVF.

1... IBIS isn't a big factor is size. dSLRs with IBIS don't weigh any more than dSLRs without IBIS. Yes, it has caused the A7rii to be a bit bigger than the A7r.. but the complaint isn't those 100 grams. It's in looking at an entire camera bag, there isn't much difference... whether 5000 grams, 5200 grams, or 5300 grams.
I've shot plenty of cameras with and without IBIS. It's far less of a factor than it was years ago, as more and more lenses are stabilized. (and a stabilized lens can actually be far better than IBIS). I recently replaced my unstabilized Nikon 50mm and 85mm with stabilized Tamron 50mm and 85mm lenses.
My only unstabilized lenses that I use, for Sony and Nikon, are:
A -- Rokinon 14mm/2.8 -- manual focus as well. But as such a wide focal length, it's rare that stabilization would make much of a difference in getting the shot. If it's truly dark, I need a tripod either way. And if there is adequate light, I can already use a pretty close shutter speed -- 1/30 handheld without any trouble.
B-- Nikon 18-35. Same as above.. wide enough, that I don't really miss stabilization.
C-- Sony Zeiss 24/1.8 -- With an effective focal length of 36mm, this is the longest unstabilized lens I use. I actually do feel it would benefit from stabilization sometimes. But I don't think I'm missing many shots.
That's it -- All my other lenses are stabilized. For Sony, 10-18, 50/1.8, 70-200/4 -- all stabilized. For Nikon -- 24-70, 70-200, 45/1.8, 85/1.8, 105/2.8, 300/4 -- All stabilized.

2 -- Yes --- Maybe the more expensive Sony lenses are "better" in some cases. That said, sometimes it is nice to have options so you can balance price and quality. I'll use ultrawide as an example -- Nikon has 3 ultrawide zooms, as well as options from Tamron, Tokina, etc. The Tamron 15-30/2.8 is $1200. (it's 2.8 and it is stabilized). The Nikon 18-35, which has very good IQ, is only $750 -- is you don't need super super super wide, or stabilized or 2.8. Point is, you have options, at different price points. The Sony 16-35/4 is $1350 -- So if you are shooting Nikon, for $150 less, you can get a lens that is slightly wider and 1 whole stop faster. Or, you can get a good light lens that is $600 less, if you are willing to go unstabilized and not quite as wide. All 3 lenses have exceptional IQ. So even if the Sony 16-35 is a tad "better," a rational shooter might still prefer to save money with the other lenses. A Nikon or Canon shooter has lots of 85mm options for under $1,000 -- The only existing native options for Sony are both over $1000. Is the Batis 85/1.8 better than the Nikon 85/1.8g? It might be a little bit better, but the Nikon 85g is rather exceptional itself, and $700 cheaper than the Batis.

3-- The "F" menu and customization makes it pretty easy to get to most features. But when you need to change a less common setting, it can be a pain in the butt. I was doing long exposures at Universal... realized I was getting motion blur despite being on a tripod -- DUH, I need to turn off steadyshot. Took me quite a while to figure out where Steadyshot was hidden within the menus. Nikon's menu system is a whole lot more logical.

DSC00709-X2.jpg

I've never really missed stabilization on short lenses like a 24/28/35 or even 50. It's over that where the stabilization is nice. I find that ibis is good on short focal lengths. In lens stabilization is much better than ibis for that.

As far as size goes, Pentax makes some of smallest DSLR's and they all include IBIS.

The next A9 is going to be even larger to keep up with the lenses. For the price of rhe new Sony A9/lenses, maybe Fuji will make a medium format that isn't to much more.....LoL

I've never really missed stabilization on short lenses like a 24/28/35 or even 50. It's over that where the stabilization is nice. I find that ibis is good on short focal lengths. In lens stabilization is much better than ibis for that.

As far as size goes, Pentax makes some of smallest DSLR's and they all include IBIS.

The next A9 is going to be even larger to keep up with the lenses. For the price of rhe new Sony A9/lenses, maybe Fuji will make a medium format that isn't to much more.....LoL

Eagerly awaiting the Fuji Medium Format launch.

I can't shoot anything for now, I'm on injured reserved for a while. I shattered my wrist last week and had surgery Thursday (shattered the Radius and broke the Ulna)......and it's my right hand! Did you know there seems to be no left handed cameras.:confused3

Anyway, to make myself feel better, I bought a new to me Ricoh GR. I figured I might be able to play one handed since its pocket sized. It's an APS 16mp Sony sensor with no AA filter and a fixed 18.3mm f2.8 lens that's super sharp.:thumbsup2 I'll post a photo once I get it.

I can't shoot anything for now, I'm on injured reserved for a while. I shattered my wrist last week and had surgery Thursday (shattered the Radius and broke the Ulna)......and it's my right hand! Did you know there seems to be no left handed cameras.:confused3

Anyway, to make myself feel better, I bought a new to me Ricoh GR. I figured I might be able to play one handed since its pocket sized. It's an APS 16mp Sony sensor with no AA filter and a fixed 18.3mm f2.8 lens that's super sharp.:thumbsup2 I'll post a photo once I get it.

Harry, get well soon! Looking forward to those pics. Always had an interest in that camera.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter