Pete's rant on today's live video podcast

So the basic question i was asking you originally (based on your comment about being frustrated at seeing 8 people board with 1 pass) - is:

If a family of 9 entered a non-mainstreamed attraction line through the wheelchair entrance, and they waited the same exact amount as a family who entered that attraction's SB line at the same time, why shouldn't that family of 9 be allowed to wait/enter the attraction together? Why should it be demoralizing or frustrating to watch that family of 9 board, when they have waited the same amount of time as anyone in standby?
Absolutely a good point. If the wait is the same, or nearly the same, then it certainly would not matter, as it would be like two loading zones for the same ride. Even if one moved faster (the one I'm not in ;) ), then no worries. Usually, it isn't a concern for me anyway, regardless.

I guess enough large groups of people have been observed using this in the past to generate the complaints to warrant WDW to change their policy.

I had a thought. Maybe it will be easier and better with the new FastPass+ system. If instead of a card, the party's wrist bands allowed access, then it would blend fairly seamlessly and no one would know if they are using a FP reservation or another privilege.

ETA: You know, maybe I'm getting a bit more excited about this than normal, as there are some fairly stern discussions on the Disneyland board about line cutters and when it is ok/not ok popcorn:: Howver, I still say everyone should be able to have an opinion on this (and any) topic ;) , even if it is uneducated. Besides, that's how we elect our Congress, right? :lmao:

Absolutely a good point. If the wait is the same, or nearly the same, then it certainly would not matter, as it would be like two loading zones for the same ride. Even if one moved faster (the one I'm not in ;) ), then no worries. Usually, it isn't a concern for me anyway, regardless.

I guess enough large groups of people have been observed using this in the past to generate the complaints to warrant WDW to change their policy.

I was referring to WDW"s new policy, not the old one. Under the new policy, DAS cards are not handed out unless you have a specific issue standing in line - mobility issues alone are not enough to qualify for a DAS. Wheelchairs (and strollers as wheelchairs) still need to use the appropriately accessible entrance (not always the same as the SB line), but they may not necessarily have a DAS (and, therefore, I assume would be waiting the same amount as everyone else is).

So *at this time*, if I were in SB and saw someone boarding from a wheelchair accessible entrance, I would not automatically assume that they had a lesser wait than I did in the SB line as that is not how the new program works.

I had a thought. Maybe it will be easier and better with the new FastPass+ system. If instead of a card, the party's wrist bands allowed access, then it would blend fairly seamlessly and no one would know if they are using a FP reservation or another privilege.

They could certainly encode this information on the RFID cards and magicBands...it would be a good idea, if Disney IT can manage it.

ETA: You know, maybe I'm getting a bit more excited about this than normal, as there are some fairly stern discussions on the Disneyland board about line cutters and when it is ok/not ok popcorn::

As for this, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you do not mean this like it sounds. It very much sounds as though you are saying those who are using the wheelchair accessible entrances/DAS system are "line cutters". I have a feeling that sentiment would not go over very well with the vast majority of the people who have to use those entrances/the DAS.

Right on. ADHD for some reason is a disability that people have no problem openly mocking and treating like it is "made up" or "no big deal." People say things about ADHD that they would never say about other neurological issues, (because they would be ashamed to be heard talking about other conditions that way).

As a woman with two children with ADHD (and a husband with ADHD), I know it isn't some frivolous, funny, ridiculous, made-up issue. If you think it is, you should educate yourself - instead of being blithely unconcerned with your ignorance.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/adhd.asp

And if you fully read the snopes article, it states this:

However, allowing for the vagaries of translation and reading the statement in context, some native German speakers have reported that Dr. Eisenberg wasn't asserting that ADHD isn't a real disorder, but rather that it is overdiagnosed

Saying something is overdiagnosed is a far cry from calling it fictitious.

Excellent question and great qualifiers. The short answer is you should all go through together. That is Disney's policy, and I accept it. However, I may still feel concern. If it is one or three families, that is fine and I am happy to see your family enjoy time together. If the wait is 30 minutes or less, great. If it is a two hour wait (Radiator Springs Racers) and dozens of larger families use the option, then it gets a bit demoralizing watching groups filter in and out while my family is patiently waiting. In the end, I just silently get frustrated with it and don't say anything, though. I have a counter question for yourself and others on here, as I am curious. Actually, it is a scenario: Many DISers are repeat visitors to the Disney parks (either coast). Many DISer families with a member qualifying for the access card, like the elderly lady on in the podcast story, may have visited or get to visit Disney World or Disneyland multiple times in their lives. During the busy season, should these frequent visitors get access to the attractions sooner than the non-qualifying family that saved up for several years (three, five, ten+) for this truly once in a lifetime trip? Who has precedence in this scenario, the family that will be back next year to see the attractions they miss or the family who will likely not return for decades as a family? If the special needs family are local to the parks and visit very frequently, should they get access before the family who flew in once per year/every other year to a specific attraction, knowing they will be back again very soon? Again, I am curious as each story is different and one qualifier may outweigh another if all the stories are laid bare for each of us to interpret. I'm not trying to be cantankerous (that's the aspergers talkin' if it does ;)); rather, I'm trying to point out that blanket policies are difficult as it may not be the best option in a situation once the specifics are known.
If you are using a wheelchair and entering at an accessible spot you still have to wait just not in the line. They give you a return time. So it basically just holds the spot in line for you. As for your other questions... Any day could be our last day.... Any trip could be our last trip.... Everyone no matter how long they have waited how much they have paid how close they live or how often the visit deserves the right to the same experience no matter how able bodied you are or are not. Disabilities are not handed out based upon income geographical location or how often you visit disney, therefore accommodations and accessibility shouldn't be either! Just my opinion!

I can't tell you how many times dim-witted people would see me in my chair and say, "What a great way to get around Disney! I should get me one of those, too." Or, "Lucky that you can sit in the chair rather than stand in this line." Or comment to others about what a "stupid woman" I am to have had difficulty maneuvering into an elevator on DCL, having already waited for 8 or 9 of them, because people would rush right past me to claim their spot. Or who have let a door slam squarely into my chair because they couldn't be bothered to hold it for a moment.

But with your encouragement, I will refuse to be silent anymore. I will let them know that they are more than welcome to my chair if they are willing to trade their ability to walk with me.

Tomorrow, I am going to have the first of two knee replacements. I hope to be able to give up my chair when I'm in Disney next time. But you can bet, I will try to be as helpful and kind to those who need special assistance as I possibly can be.

Hugs to you, Pete.

I was referring to WDW"s new policy, not the old one. Under the new policy, DAS cards are not handed out unless you have a specific issue standing in line - mobility issues alone are not enough to qualify for a DAS. Wheelchairs (and strollers as wheelchairs) still need to use the appropriately accessible entrance (not always the same as the SB line), but they may not necessarily have a DAS (and, therefore, I assume would be waiting the same amount as everyone else is).

So *at this time*, if I were in SB and saw someone boarding from a wheelchair accessible entrance, I would not automatically assume that they had a lesser wait than I did in the SB line as that is not how the new program works.
Thanks for the clarification, as that is what I understood from the podcast's segment on it. To be honest, I didn't really assume people moved quicker in the wheelchair access line; rather, I saw it more as a fastpass line of sorts. You skip the main standby queue, but you also miss the standby line decorations.

Now it seems people in this line will miss the queue decorations and wait the same time frame, which is a bummer.

As for this, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you do not mean this like it sounds. It very much sounds as though you are saying those who are using the wheelchair accessible entrances/DAS system are "line cutters". I have a feeling that sentiment would not go over very well with the vast majority of the people who have to use those entrances/the DAS.
Thank you for that benefit, as that is not what I was trying to communicate. I do not see wheelchair access used by those families that need it in the same light as line cutters in the stand-by queue, at all. The former have special needs that Disney parks have a specific process for accommodating to get the same experience. The latter are just dastardly ;) All in, I'm actually grateful for Disney parks, as they do everything in their power to make us all equal within the bubble of Disney. That love and magic is why I keep going back each year.

If you are using a wheelchair and entering at an accessible spot you still have to wait just not in the line. They give you a return time. So it basically just holds the spot in line for you.
That is great information, thank you. It sounds like a FastPass, which is a good system to leverage. Since this is the case, I wonder why some may take exception with it (from both the community that used the DAS card and those who did not)?

As for your other questions... Any day could be our last day.... Any trip could be our last trip.... Everyone no matter how long they have waited how much they have paid how close they live or how often the visit deserves the right to the same experience no matter how able bodied you are or are not. Disabilities are not handed out based upon income geographical location or how often you visit disney, therefore accommodations and accessibility shouldn't be either! Just my opinion!
You know, I read the first part of this paragraph and thought, "my, that is fatalistic". Don't get me wrong, I agree with it (I've signed my life away a long time ago when I joined the Navy), and the mantra causes me to stop and soak in the moment (good or bad). However, it is a very grandiose statement that can distract from the discussion, as it really doesn't apply to the discussion at hand IMO.

As for the second part of the paragraph (disabilities not being handed out based on... factor), I'm not sure what this was trying to communicate. I would interpret the sentence, as written, in relation to my question about one time visitors and frequent visitors with disabilities, as people with disabilities will pass away someday, so they need special dispensation today. Whereas those without disabilities do not need the same dispensation, even though they will pass away, too? Not trying to be argumentative; just trying to ensure I understand your point :)

Depending on the day I use a walker, cane, or just a bad limp. I was badly wounded by a mortar strike and have only been walking "normally" again for a couple of years. While prostehtics have come a long way, I have good and bad days. Because of that injury, I have a hard time dealing with crowds. Although my PTSD/crowd issue would most likely entitle me to a DAS, I will not use one. When the parks get to be too much, I go to my hotel to rest.

I don't agree with the majority your original post... but as a veteran myself I want to thank you for your service. Keep your head up and hang in there. :thumbsup2

Thanks 11b! You do the same. I was USN, but the 11b guys treated me right. Always had a soft spot for Infantrymen. A good friend is 11B with the 10th at Drum; hope to get up there to visit soon.

Thanks for the clarification, as that is what I understood from the podcast's segment on it. To be honest, I didn't really assume people moved quicker in the wheelchair access line; rather, I saw it more as a fastpass line of sorts. You skip the main standby queue, but you also miss the standby line decorations. Now it seems people in this line will miss the queue decorations and wait the same time frame, which is a bummer. Thank you for that benefit, as that is not what I was trying to communicate. I do not see wheelchair access used by those families that need it in the same light as line cutters in the stand-by queue, at all. The former have special needs that Disney parks have a specific process for accommodating to get the same experience. The latter are just dastardly ;) All in, I'm actually grateful for Disney parks, as they do everything in their power to make us all equal within the bubble of Disney. That love and magic is why I keep going back each year. That is great information, thank you. It sounds like a FastPass, which is a good system to leverage. Since this is the case, I wonder why some may take exception with it (from both the community that used the DAS card and those who did not)? You know, I read the first part of this paragraph and thought, "my, that is fatalistic". Don't get me wrong, I agree with it (I've signed my life away a long time ago when I joined the Navy), and the mantra causes me to stop and soak in the moment (good or bad). However, it is a very grandiose statement that can distract from the discussion, as it really doesn't apply to the discussion at hand IMO. As for the second part of the paragraph (disabilities not being handed out based on... factor), I'm not sure what this was trying to communicate. I would interpret the sentence, as written, in relation to my question about one time visitors and frequent visitors with disabilities, as people with disabilities will pass away someday, so they need special dispensation today. Whereas those without disabilities do not need the same dispensation, even though they will pass away, too? Not trying to be argumentative; just trying to ensure I understand your point :)

I am glad that you replied as the way you read it was completely off from what I was trying to express... Maybe I wrote it oddly. What I was trying to say is that no matter where you live how often you visit how much you paid, there is not ever a guarantee tht you will visit again even if you had planned to. Same goes if you only plan it to be that once in a life time trip you may decide to go back. Disabled or not. When I said that disabilities are not handed out based on location price paid blah blah what I meant was disabilities effect each and every group of people mentioned in the original question and because I don't think that anyone is guaranteed a next trip or maybe they will make more trips when they thought that was the only one, this goes for anyone not just people with disabilities. Because of this to answer the original question I don't believe that a GAC should have anything to do with that and everyone who is deemed appropriate by disney to receive a GAC should based on disability only.
Not argumentative at all friendly conversation is never a bad thing. Oh yeah btw I hear where you are coming from with the navy as I was in the coast guard.

I am glad that you replied as the way you read it was completely off from what I was trying to express... Maybe I wrote it oddly. What I was trying to say is that no matter where you live how often you visit how much you paid, there is not ever a guarantee tht you will visit again even if you had planned to. Same goes if you only plan it to be that once in a life time trip you may decide to go back. Disabled or not. When I said that disabilities are not handed out based on location price paid blah blah what I meant was disabilities effect each and every group of people mentioned in the original question and because I don't think that anyone is guaranteed a next trip or maybe they will make more trips when they thought that was the only one, this goes for anyone not just people with disabilities. Because of this to answer the original question I don't believe that a GAC should have anything to do with that and everyone who is deemed appropriate by disney to receive a GAC should based on disability only.
Not argumentative at all friendly conversation is never a bad thing. Oh yeah btw I hear where you are coming from with the navy as I was in the coast guard.
Thanks for answering my counter question about priority, and I agree with you, in fact. I think everyone should have the same opportunity to access each ride and show, and I am glad Disney does a great job in making this happen for those who may not fit the mold of their initial design. This includes dining, as well, not just ride access (which is the impetus of the original story).

To extrapolate this idea to Pete's original comment on the podcast regarding guests that don't need the GAC card having an opinion, I think we should have a say in it, but I'd hope those of us in this class would express their concerns directly to Disney, privately, instead of directly to other guests. Then, Disney can act on our behalf in amending their policies and ensuring the proper balance is in place to permit the equal access you've envisioned.

To extrapolate this idea to Pete's original comment on the podcast regarding guests that don't need the GAC card having an opinion, I think we should have a say in it, but I'd hope those of us in this class would express their concerns directly to Disney, privately, instead of directly to other guests. Then, Disney can act on our behalf in amending their policies and ensuring the proper balance is in place to permit the equal access you've envisioned.

Perfectly stated! I wish you would have written this earlier so I would have kept my big mouth shut. You said the same thing I wanted to say without stirring the pot; a skill I am apparently lacking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter