• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pet peeves (again)

Inspired by another current thread, I'm going to go with "slavery to cell phones". The idea that just because most of us have our phones with us most of the time, we should all be reachable 24/7 and that incoming communications require an instantaneous response.

The thread I'm thinking of has a person living in constant anxiety because she receives texts through an app at all hours and (not that a response is expected necessarily) she can't stand to leave them until business hours. I have a company-provided cell phone and also receive communications from clients at all hours. I absolutely will not answer them unless I'm on the clock. It irks me when the first thing that happens when I arrive at the office is somebody launching into a conversation about a message we got overnight that I should be 100% on top of or when a staff-member says plaintively "didn't you get my text?" because I didn't respond. Yeah, I got it - at 3:00 pm on a Sunday afternoon - no chance I'm getting back to you about some mundane issue until Monday morning. :rolleyes:

People who don't park in a parking spot well.

Also people who disregard or just don't think about parking lots that have one-way lanes. For example my closest Wal-Mart has a few both directions lanes but they also have lanes that are either up or down directions denoted by arrows (also denoted by the direction the cars are facing as they are angled parking). Those one-way lanes are not 2 car lengths wide (more like 1 1/2). It's dangerous and drives me bonkers when people are going the wrong direction.

Sitting here trying to relax while the (new) neighbor is letting his dog bark. Pet peeve - people that 'love' their dogs so much they kick them out of the house for a while each day, chain them, and let them bark and drive the neighbors crazy!!!! :crazy2: :headache:

I was shopping the other day and what peeved me the most ... people that take up the entire width of an aisle. They'll have their buggy off to one side of the aisle and they're looking at something on the other side of the aisle, totally obvious or uncaring, that no one can get past them. Or like yesterday, this family that left their buggy in the middle of the aisle, the mom was looking at something to the one side of it and her daughters (or daughter and a friend) were dancing on the other side of it.

On the subject of "slavery to cell phones", I am not a slave to my cell phone, especially not where my work is concerned. I work part-time and not in a supervisory role, there is no reason for me to be available when I am off. I'll get texts asking where something is, why did it get moved, who moved it, you won't believe what "Co-worker" did, when you next come in I need you to do XYZ and sorts of other mundane things. I've started ignoring them and like ronandannette, first thing when I come in I'm asked if I got their text.

Last edited:
Okay, my new one - people who put half a ream of paper in the printer tray when it runs out. The tray holds a full ream of paper. Put a full ream in there when it’s empty, for crying out loud!!!!

People walking around wherever, whenever with their heads in their cell phones texting or cruising the internet, making EVERYONE around them dodge them & try to get around them because they can't stop with damn phone for 5 seconds

People walking around wherever, whenever with their heads in their cell phones texting or cruising the internet, making EVERYONE around them dodge them & try to get around them because they can't stop with damn phone for 5 seconds
I watched with fascination today as a young woman walked (at a fairly quick pace) across a large, 4-lane cross-walk without ever once taking her eyes and both hands off her phone. Sure, she had the right-of-way, but honestly, she would have had NO CLUE if a vehicle was barrelling towards her or if the light changed before she made it across. IMO people who do this are courting disaster.

I watched with fascination today as a young woman walked (at a fairly quick pace) across a large, 4-lane cross-walk without ever once taking her eyes and both hands off her phone. Sure, she had the right-of-way, but honestly, she would have had NO CLUE if a vehicle was barrelling towards her or if the light changed before she made it across. IMO people who do this are courting disaster.
Distraction is not a new thing though. I remember as a teen reading notes as we walked to and from school. Once I walked right smack into a light pole. Had a nice goose egg for a week. Another time I went off the curb not realizing it was there and summersaulted right into the middle of the street. I would put my Walkman on and be completely oblivious to the world around me. Probably crossed many streets not paying any attention. Is it more prevalent now? Maybe. Probably. But I think it’s more in our face now. We can visually see what has people distracted.

People who drive slow in the passing lane!!!! Luckily, I don't have to drive on the interstate often, but every time, every mile, someone is driving in the left lane. In my state, the left lane is the passing lane and you are only supposed to use it if you are passing. I despise people who as soon as they get on the interstate, head straight for the left lane. Why do people do this? You're not going to get anywhere any faster by staying in the left lane the entire time instead of the right lane. If I have to pass you on the right, look out for my stink eye!!

OK here is mine, people who leave their carts in the middle of a parking spot.
It's especially obnoxious when they use their kids as their excuse for why they are so lazy. "Oh I couldn't possibly be expected to walk my cart back up there! I have children with me!" Yeah? How did you manage to get the kids up to the place to get the cart in the first place? Ugh.

My biggest pet peeve is tardiness. I hate when people are late. I know this one person who is constantly late. And I'm not talking about 2 or 3 minutes late. I'm talking about not even leaving until she is already supposed to be somewhere else. When you are one of those people who is consistently late, you might as well just walk in and say, "I would apologize for being late, but in all honesty, whatever I was doing was just plain more important than keeping my commitment to you."

Not using a turning signal while driving....I am not a mind reader....I have no idea why you are slamming your breaks or I could have pulled out if I had known you were going to turn. Not using a signal when changing lanes. Drives me nuts!

MJ

The young teens at the skatepark this afternoon who felt the need to use profanity every second word. And were excessively loud about it. I’m not adverse to swearing but there isn’t a need to let the whole park know what you’re blathering on about.

We put an old episode of TWD on the iPad and turned the volume right up.

#gruntingzombieswinthisround

My biggest pet peeve is tardiness. I hate when people are late. I know this one person who is constantly late. And I'm not talking about 2 or 3 minutes late. I'm talking about not even leaving until she is already supposed to be somewhere else. When you are one of those people who is consistently late said:
My brother and SIL are NOTORIOUS for this! And it's not just 15 minutes, it has been hours and hours (and hours). Last summer, my brother was heading home from his vacation home 2 hours south, we are right along the way so he asked to stop in between 5 and 6. Of course! 6:00 rolls around...nothing...7:00... 8:00 PM and he's finally here. It was such a nice day he decided to get off of the highway and have dinner near the beach. This was a school night and we were falling asleep. I don't understand why he didn't text us stopping? They live near WDW and we don't even tell them when we are there due to waiting hours in the hotel room. At designated time to arrive: "We are leaving shortly'..."We are just getting on the highway.." "We needed to stop and drop something off.." till it's hours later. I have more stories. It's like everyone but them is unimportant

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter