Penny press - credit card or coinc

Ketchup is nice and convenient -- especially if you run out during a trip. I remember soaking pennies in a ketchup packet while eating lunch at Chick Fil A in Atlanta several years ago. I couldn't get to a store, but ketchup is easy to come by.

I can attest to the reasoning behind this. Many people love collecting pressed pennies. The traditional systems always have one flaw...what people put into them. The "wrong" pennies can damage and take it out of circulation until fixed. Never failed that a machine I needed was down. By controlling the media that is used to make the press is consistent, the machine will be active much longer.

I started this adventure using only 1972 pennies. It got expensive finding them because there was a mis-strike on the year which made values very high if found. I did the same with 1971 quarters. I still have a collection of them to use, but have over 500 pressed in this method.

I can attest to the reasoning behind this. Many people love collecting pressed pennies. The traditional systems always have one flaw...what people put into them. The "wrong" pennies can damage and take it out of circulation until fixed. Never failed that a machine I needed was down. By controlling the media that is used to make the press is consistent, the machine will be active much longer.

I started this adventure using only 1972 pennies. It got expensive finding them because there was a mis-strike on the year which made values very high if found. I did the same with 1971 quarters. I still have a collection of them to use, but have over 500 pressed in this method.

Are you maybe talking about Canadian pennies? As I recall after 2000 are copper plated steel but now as I look this up they stopped making them 5 years ago.

Assuming you used 1972 for some significance since any pre 1982 are not copper plated.

I meant 1971. It was a typo. I did it on coins from the year it opened. When I said wrong pennies, people put in coins from different countries, coins with gum on them, and any number of other crazy things. I have seen dimes in the penny machines. All of which can take the machine out of service.

The credit card machines are pretty anti-climactic. No cranking, minimal button pushing (and it's on a screen, not a big blinking button like the other electric ones) and then you stand there and wait for your 8 pennies to come out... on pre-loaded zincers. If it continues to go that way I may get less and less coins - unless they replace them with copper blanks. Not a fan of the zinc streaks though typically my plan is "a zinc penny is better than no penny" but not if I'm paying $1 for it.

There are only a handful of the credit card ones. There's a princess one at In Character at DHS, a Star Wars one in Launch Bay at DHS, and a Marvel one in Super Hero Headquarters at Disney Springs.

There's also a CC pressed penny machine in the gift shop after Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin.

FWIW, I don't mind the credit card machines. At least I don't have to worry about running out of quarters or pennies!

We prefer the "old fashioned" style presser. We save our empty prescription bottles and layer 2 quarters and a shiny penny so we're not digging. We save about 3-4 bottles before we leave and we each carry one with us so it's not too heavy. Works out perfectly!

Another way to carry change for the machines was to use an empty tube from Mini-M&M's.

For myself, I don't worry too much about what penny I use.

I recently heard of a rather funny use of pressed pennies....Belly dancers are supposed to wear something like a bikini-top when they dance. One that is covered in noise-making spangles. Someone made one entirely covered with pressed pennies! As soon as I heard of this idea, I chuckled at the (possible) thought of the belly dancers in Morocco in Epcot dancing in attire made of pressed pennies.

Tips to shining them up?

Soak them for a few minutes in vinegar...then a stiff bristled toothbrush should do the trick. I just cleaned some up last night...the only toothbrush had was too soft, so I used a steel wool scrubbing pad which also worked wonders.

I collect all pre-1982 pennies out of my change.

After rinsing them, I make a paste using baking soda and vinegar and scrub them with a toothbrush. Rinse, and your pennies will look fresh from the mint.

Do the pennies stay clean for a while? I am just wondering if I can clean up my pennies now for my September trip. Or if I will have to clean them up again? I have over 100 to clean, so I definitely don't want to do it twice!

Cleaning is easy. Just put them in ketchup for a few days. They will stay shiny for a while, but will oxidize again. I would just wait to do it until August. Put them in a plastic container, put ketchup in, shake it up, let it sit a day, shake it again, repeat for a few days. It does not take much to clean them.

Do the pennies stay clean for a while? I am just wondering if I can clean up my pennies now for my September trip. Or if I will have to clean them up again? I have over 100 to clean, so I definitely don't want to do it twice!
are you planning on spending $50 for pressed pennies?

The pressed pennies are one if our DD's favorite souvenirs! We get the mini M&M tubes, which are the PERFECT size for quarters and pennies! We stack 2 quarters and 1 penny as we fill those tubes up! And a little tip, I put a snack size Baggie on top as I stack so the coins don't get messed up inside the tube. Plus, this is a great way to keep the pennies I want to use in one place as we fill the tube over time!

are you planning on spending $50 for pressed pennies?

Maybe. We haven't been to Disney World in almost 18 years and I don't have any of the pressed pennies. I had originally thought to collect them all - until I realized just how many there are to get! So I will just pick up whichever ones appeal to me.

We are 2 adults going for 10 days so I think we need something to occupy some of that time or we will probably end up spending a lot more than that in bars!

I also have some family going in July. If they want to collect some, I will offer them some of my pre-1982 pennies.

I soak our pennies in a glass of coke overnight. High test, not diet. Swirl around a few times, let sit overnight, swirl around a few times in the morning. No scrubbing required.

We were there yesterday, and the two machines outside of Disney Quest, in Disney Springs are still manual. Since Disney Quest will be closing on July 2nd, those are nice ones to add to the collection ... and stand zero chance of being "updated" between now and then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter