• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Penny press - credit card or coinc

HaveKidsWillTravel

What have I gotten myself into?
are all the penny presses now credit cards? Do the cc ones still require a penny? If I don't have to pack a ton of change that would be great!

They have both, the coin operated ones far outnumber the others but there are plenty of cc ones around the parks and resorts. You do not need to provide a penny for the card operated machines.

Funny...I was about to post a similar question as we are beginning to pack this weekend. From what I see, it looks like the machines that take CC don't give you the option to provide your own penny and crank the machine...which kind of takes all the fun out of it and is a deal breaker IMO. Glad to hear there are still the traditional machines around...looks like I should still plan to bring quarters in addition to pennies.

We are here now and my daughter loves those machines. We actually have found tons of the traditional coin ones and somehow haven't noticed any credit card ones at all!

Oh, and do bring quarters with you as most penny press machines do not have a bill changer near them. Cashiers are all happy to make change though..

I also have quarters to do the pressed quarters. They have some cool pressed quarters and they are still a pretty cheap souvenier.

There are only a handful of the credit card ones. There's a princess one at In Character at DHS, a Star Wars one in Launch Bay at DHS, and a Marvel one in Super Hero Headquarters at Disney Springs.

There are only a handful of the credit card ones. There's a princess one at In Character at DHS, a Star Wars one in Launch Bay at DHS, and a Marvel one in Super Hero Headquarters at Disney Springs.

There's also a credit card one in the exit shop for Splash Mountain and in the exit shop for Frozen Ever After.

On my last visit, the one by the exit to Voyage of the Little Mermaid in HS didn't use pennies, but rather a copper blank. Myself, I like the real penny look better.

Should note this was a CC machine type.

On my last visit, the one by the exit to Voyage of the Little Mermaid in HS didn't use pennies, but rather a copper blank. Myself, I like the real penny look better.

I wonder if all the cc machines are using blanks. I couldn't bring myself to try any of them and stuck with the traditional machines.

Wow, they have totally ruined it if you can't provide your own pennies. I work hard collecting older, all copper pennies, and shining them up to perfection for the machines. I don't want their dirty new pennies.

First of all what the .... Credit cards for pressed pennies. But yes the one machine at my local Kennywood Park takes a dollar and gives you a new copper plated zinc penny. :(

Tips to shining them up?

Not sure what you are asking but....

The problem with using a new penny (post 1982) is that its zinc plated copper. At least in the past the pressing process tended to smear the copper coating exposing the zinc underneath. The zinc can oxidize and make for a messed up pressed penny.

Not sure what you are asking but....

The problem with using a new penny (post 1982) is that its zinc plated copper. At least in the past the pressing process tended to smear the copper coating exposing the zinc underneath. The zinc can oxidize and make for a messed up pressed penny.

Sorry! I quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote a couple posters up on the way they shine their pennies. Sorry for the confusion!

Continuing from my prior post. This was probably done to avoid them giving you a new penny.

The only way to get around this is to either use penny sized copper blanks or find a source of pre 1982 pennies. I think I have seen rolls of pre 1982 pennies online for use by pressed penny enthusiasts but they of course cost more than 50 cents. Also I'm pretty sure those copper blanks cost more than a penny but then again they are getting 50 cents more for them which more than covers the extra cost of the blanks. :thumbsup2

I collect all pre-1982 pennies out of my change. Some 1982 are copper, but I don't fool with them as earlier ones are easy to come by to be positive you're getting copper.

I soak them in a bath of vinegar and salt (glass bowl only) for about 30 seconds. Don't leave them in there too long, just enough to get clean. I stand there and stir mine around a bit to make sure they all get the gunk off.

After rinsing them, I make a paste using baking soda and vinegar and scrub them with a toothbrush. Rinse, and your pennies will look fresh from the mint.

Do all this prior to pressing. It doesn't really work, for some reason, after pressing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter