Peanut allergy at Ohana

nannye

DIS Veteran
Now I know disney is great with allergies, they have been for me in the past. I want to try Ohana for dinner, but I'm not sure with the menu change and the peanut sauce etc.... Are there different. Sauces or options for those with a peanut allergy? Any personal experiences?

From what has been posted here before, there is no alternate dipping sauce, but they will make sure that the allergic person has safe food, and that the peanut sauce is not delivered to the table if that is the request.

Or hanks, it is only the sauces where the peanut is? Not in any rice or noodles? Obviously the chef will know for sure but just trying to determine if we want to book here

Not only will the chef know for sure, they will make sure that you have food that is free of the allergen, even if they have to make something that isn't on the menu.

The chef will come out and talk to you before any food is brought over. They will make a separate dish if necessary or keep certain food away. They do take these requests seriously which is such a relief! My son has severe egg and milk allergies. They even made separate skewers of meat for him on the grill just to avoid cross contamination (they brush meat there with butter). All the Disney restaurants will do this for you. Just mention it in the reservation and you can remind them again if needed when checking in. They all have books with the ingredients listed of anything they don't make in house. Actual labels from the packaging. You can look at it yourself for piece of mind.

My son has a life threatening allergy to peanuts and treenuts. We have not been to Ohana but all the other dining establishments at the POly and I will say they are tops. They check everything. Kona cooks food in completely separate pans and stove top. I have always felt 100% comfortable there plus they offer alot of dining choices. We have no nuts at our table and have never had to change a menu item from what we wanted because we needed an accomodation.

Hope that helps.

Izze

My DS has severe anaphylaxis to peanuts and we have eaten at 'Ohana a number of times. The chef at this restaurant and every other restaurant at Disney will visit the table to discuss the menu and ensure that their food does not come in contact with peanuts. If there are others in your party that want the peanut sauce and you do not object, they ensure it is put on the opposite side of the table.

My peanut allergic son is not highly reactive, so we have felt safe there, but I am concerned for those who are highly reactive because this is a dipping sauce, so people use their hands, and then touch the doors to the bathroom, outside, etc, etc.
They do everything possible to remove the peanut from your table and not serve the allergic person anything peanut, but I would be uncomfortable with the amount of peanut stuff floating around if my son was more reactive.
Previous posters feel differently.
Your mileage may vary.

Oh, and I haven't seen the new menu, but there used to be a sweet and sour sauce also. (Maybe one other.)

My peanut allergic son is not highly reactive, so we have felt safe there, but I am concerned for those who are highly reactive because this is a dipping sauce, so people use their hands, and then touch the doors to the bathroom, outside, etc, etc.
They do everything possible to remove the peanut from your table and not serve the allergic person anything peanut, but I would be uncomfortable with the amount of peanut stuff floating around if my son was more reactive.
Previous posters feel differently.
Your mileage may vary.

Our allergist has always said from the beginning that those who are allergic to peanuts would only have a analphlactic reaction when it was ingested - other Drs may disagree. My son is disgusted by the scent of peanut, and he says it mays him feel nauseous, but it does not actually hurt him according to our doctor. It is more of a mental thing. Even contact with a peanut would not hurt him as long as he did not put his hands in mouth after. Regarding the bathrooms, etc, washing hands is the key for us. We can't control what other people do, but DS uses his shirt to open doors in restaurants if they cannot be pushed open with his elbow. Of course we always carry his Epipen with us, but have not had to use it yet.

It's completely a mental thing. The smell of peanuts makes me nauseous too!

I'm not worried about other contact.

Thanks everyone, you have definitely put my mind at ease a bit more, I reLly didn't want to order anything different or have anything specially made.

Thanks!

Our allergist has always said from the beginning that those who are allergic to peanuts would only have a analphlactic reaction when it was ingested - other Drs may disagree. My son is disgusted by the scent of peanut, and he says it mays him feel nauseous, but it does not actually hurt him according to our doctor. It is more of a mental thing. Even contact with a peanut would not hurt him as long as he did not put his hands in mouth after. Regarding the bathrooms, etc, washing hands is the key for us. We can't control what other people do, but DS uses his shirt to open doors in restaurants if they cannot be pushed open with his elbow. Of course we always carry his Epipen with us, but have not had to use it yet.

Since I know children personally who react to the item just being in the room with them (no touching, no ingesting --not sure what your allergist is talking about, as his opinion is not the case for some), I thought I'd better mention the risk.
Everyone has to go with what they are comfortable with. I'm sure the amount of peanut stuff in our house would give some people fits, but, like I said, ds is not reactive to it being present.
Managing food allergies can be a full time job, can't it? :grouphug:

It's completely a mental thing. The smell of peanuts makes me nauseous too!

I'm not worried about other contact.

Thanks everyone, you have definitely put my mind at ease a bit more, I reLly didn't want to order anything different or have anything specially made.

Thanks!

Make sure you have it noted on your ADR, though, in case any other item on the menu has a peanut issue. They are super great at making specialty items and not making the person feel bad. In fact, my ds says he feels like a king eating at WDW! (He is GF also.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter