• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Patience paid off! flights for >1000 for 4 out of BDL

artesian

DIS Veteran
I've been scouring for flights now for 5 months to get from NJ to MCO for under $900. I am the type when it makes economic sense that I will expand my search outside of my home airport of EWR. Being where I live I have the advantage of having 5 different airports that are within reason of flying from. I was pretty bummed when SWA recently released the schedule only to find flights in the $1200 range. For some reason last night I expanded my search outside of my norm to include Hartford. Granted it's two hours away but when I factor gas and parking I am still saving 300+ compared to my other searches. I was happy to see flights for a fam of 4 I would up getting for $864 on jetblue (8/20-30). I have never flown out of Bradley but in my searches last night appears it has ample parking at very reasonable rates. If anyone has some tips on Bradley I would greatly appreciate it.

We flew BDL one time and it was super easy. It is a small airport. I had no complaints. We also drove 2 hours, parked in the economy lot, we were bussed to the terminal, and the TSA line was easy. I would do it again.

It will be interesting to see what the SWA price will be for the flights you would have bought when SWA has their annual big birthday sale in June that covers flights from Aug to mid-Dec.

That is our home airport.

It is easy to get to. There are quite a few hotels in the area that have the park and fly option. And the hotels aren't in a questionable area (I am thinking JFK hotels). I looked into that for our summer flight but we ended up just sleeping at home.

Depending on your flight time you may hit traffic.

We always park in the main garage but there are cheaper options.

That is our home airport.

It is easy to get to. There are quite a few hotels in the area that have the park and fly option. And the hotels aren't in a questionable area (I am thinking JFK hotels). I looked into that for our summer flight but we ended up just sleeping at home.

Depending on your flight time you may hit traffic.

We always park in the main garage but there are cheaper options.

Flight is 530pm. Leaving NJ 1230. Will come up the Merrit or long way 684-84. I think that time of day traffic should be light

BDL is very easy to get around in. We haven't parked at the lots at the airport but we love Roncari Valet. It is the closest off site parking to the airport and very reasonable (AAA discount if you have it). The shuttles run constantly. We will be using them for our trip in Aug. We have flown JetBlue out of BDL many times but for us the flight times aren't really great for some reason this year. We usually like a very early nonstop and then a late return nonstop and they aren't offering any this year. You will have no problems getting around BDL - security also usually is quick.

BDL is very easy to get around in. We haven't parked at the lots at the airport but we love Roncari Valet. It is the closest off site parking to the airport and very reasonable (AAA discount if you have it). The shuttles run constantly. We will be using them for our trip in Aug. We have flown JetBlue out of BDL many times but for us the flight times aren't really great for some reason this year. We usually like a very early nonstop and then a late return nonstop and they aren't offering any this year. You will have no problems getting around BDL - security also usually is quick.

Thanks will look into Roncari

We have always flown out of Bradley or T.F. Green in RI. Flights have all been summer flights without any problems. :) I can't remember if we have used Roncari, but I know we have used Executive Valet many times for parking. Excellent service, free shuttle to the airport, online and AAA discounts available, car washed and waiting out front when we arrived home. I don't remember if they have covered parking available if you want your car to be shaded. Also, curb side check-in at Bradley is very dependable. Funny to think of getting into our waiting vehicle when arriving home after an evening flight and throwing the blankets over my daughter and I because 60's to low 70's seem cold after the insane summer heat!

My only biggest concern now is getting back home on 8/30 (land 930am). Saturday labor day weekend I expect my route to be congested. I may have to venture through the Bronx even though I swore off the route many moons ago. I expect the Tappan Zee to be a mess with people heading upstate for the weekend. Either way I am glad I don't have to make the 16.5 hr drive to anf from WDW

We live in CT but still use the NYC airports. We have used BDL a couple of times. parking is the best, easy and cheap. The biggest downside to BDL is the lack of non-stop flights. Did you get non-stops where we always get directs out of NYC? used newark once with the train and that worked well.

We live in CT but still use the NYC airports. We have used BDL a couple of times. parking is the best, easy and cheap. The biggest downside to BDL is the lack of non-stop flights. Did you get non-stops where we always get directs out of NYC? used newark once with the train and that worked well.

I wouldn't have done it unless it was non stops

I'm surprised you have trouble finding nonstop flights. We only fly nonstop and have no problems with SW or JetBlue. Even saw that Delta has brought back some nonstop flights. We only will fly nonstop and always have found a very early a.m. flight and a later p.m. return.

OT, you are from my hometown.

I'm surprised you have trouble finding nonstop flights. We only fly nonstop and have no problems with SW or JetBlue. Even saw that Delta has brought back some nonstop flights. We only will fly nonstop and always have found a very early a.m. flight and a later p.m. return.

always 3-4 non-stops from BDL to MCO per day on Southwest.

Just flew SWA from BDL to TPA from 3/8 to 3/14. As a note to the OP, also add alternative airports to MCO to your search as using TPA saved us big time for this trip as a non-stop with EBCI was $230 to TPA and $310 to MCO. Tampa is a bigger business destination and a slightly less popular vacation destination, so fares can be a lot cheaper. The drive from TPA to POFQ was 78 minutes from the rental car garage to the resort and 84 minutes from the resort to the rental car garage at TPA. The only bottleneck is where I-4 becomes I-275. This is the last six miles of the journey on the return and we moved along at 10-15 mph for about a mile before and a mile after the merge. Other than that the speed limit was the rule (65 mph until I-75 merge and 70 mph after that).

I'd also recommend Roncari Valet. We used the 27% off AAA discount and our parking was $58 for the week all in.

Regarding traveling from NJ to BDL, listen to 1010 WINS AM for traffic on the 1's and use that as your guide to get through NYC and Westchester. If the GW Bridge, Cross Bronx, and NE Thruway are slow, take one of the Parkways up to I-287 and then either the Merritt or I-684/I-84 to I-91 North to BDL. I'd also suggest looking on the CDOT website to see if any road work is going on any of those routes so you can avoid those manufactured backups.

Enjoy your trip!!

we also fly out of BDL and always a nonstop flight too! We use Galaxy Self Park right next to Roncari...cheaper and owned by the same people. We park the car, take our keys and get on the shuttle.

Funny cuz I have almost never found a flight to Tampa cheaper than to Orlando out of Bradley. I've flown in January, May June August September October November and December and never paid more than $99 each way, always non-stop, and have frequently done a great deal better (December 2012 - $128 round trip!!!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter