Partner up! Request for the teachers out there

chiefmickeymouse

Sarcastic, silly and socially awkward
I wish teachers would stop having the kids "partner up" for projects. Having been a military brat myself and being the mom of kids who have been the "new kids" for three years running, I have to say that few words strike more fear in a new kid's heart than these. I know it is the easiest way to do it, but it isn't much harder to count off or use some other method. Plus, you get the added bonus of not having "bff's" working together.

I feel the same about picking teams in gym. This is painful for all but the most athletic kids. I have taught gym and it's pretty easy to count off for teams.

Bring on the "special snowflake" comments! I'm ready for you!

I'm going into student teaching this semester and all of my methods classes focus more on working with your neighbor, counting off, or pulling popsicle stick names. I'm with you on the not having bffs working together. It makes classroom management easier (in my mind and experience) to use a method that doesn't involve arguments on who gets to work with whom.

UGH!! I used to HATE when we had to pick teams in gym. the athletic kids were always picked as the captains. As a shy non-athletic girl, I was always one of the last picked. Agonizing for a kid!

I agree with you 100%.

I'm the teacher. If I want kids to work in groups, I should be the one assigning those groups. If I choose to do it randomly, fine, but it's up to me to set up the structure.

I think once in a while it is good, to teach students how to socialize.

But every time, no. It would be faster and more random to count off, avoiding the BFF scenario.

Thanks for all the positive comments. I was expecting to get lambasted. Well, the night is young! I was a teacher, and then I subbed when I was in a new state and I think you'd be surprised how many teachers still have kids "partner up" and choose teams in gym (most of them).

This thread was prompted by DD(13)'s panic attack last night because she knew they were doing a partner project today in her new second semester class that she doesn't have any friends in. She ended up working alone. She says it isn't just having hurt feelings, it is humiliating having to always be the kid who goes up to tell the teacher she doesn't have a partner.

I teach high school math, and have to admit that my kids are VERY seldom in groups. I do it twice a year, and even then it's not a matter of pairing up. (I give one HUGE problem to the class, and tell them that tomorrow I'll be looking for a consensus on the answers. They can work together, or as singles, whatever. If I have any kids working alone, I'll quietly ask a group of good kids to invite them to join the group. If they opt not to, fine.)

As a mom, I hate the idea. My kids have friends in the class, but it becomes a question of WHICH friend they pair up, and who gets mad at getting not chosen. It's simply not necessary or productive.

There are enough social minefields on the bus, in the cafeteria, and at recess (for the kids young ehough to have it.) This one is totally unnecessary.

That was what The Middle was kind of about last night. Sue and Axle were partners. It was really cute!

There's a simple solution I wish more teachers would try.

Get a bucket for each class.

Cut 5x7 cards in half. On each half of a card write the students' names.

Fold the cards in half and drop into the bucket.

Label each class bucket.

Now whenever you need to randomly call on someone or set an order or put kids into groups, you haul out the bucket and you randomly pull names until you are done.

It's GREAT for class participation if the kids never are quite sure when they'll get called on. It's also good because the kids know there's no favoritism.

And it works really well for class group projects!

I only did this my last year teaching, but wished I'd done it every year I taught. It was actually very good for classroom management!

That was what The Middle was kind of about last night. Sue and Axle were partners. It was really cute!

That was a scream!

DD12 prefers to work solo if it's an option - says if she's going to do all the work anyway, she wants all the credit :rotfl2:

There's a simple solution I wish more teachers would try.

Get a bucket for each class.

Cut 5x7 cards in half. On each half of a card write the students' names.

Fold the cards in half and drop into the bucket.

Label each class bucket.

Now whenever you need to randomly call on someone or set an order or put kids into groups, you haul out the bucket and you randomly pull names until you are done.

It's GREAT for class participation if the kids never are quite sure when they'll get called on. It's also good because the kids know there's no favoritism.

And it works really well for class group projects!

I only did this my last year teaching, but wished I'd done it every year I taught. It was actually very good for classroom management!

If you are doing question/answer... then drop the names back in.... I learned quickly that once a student is called they often tune out..... knowing they might get pulled again keeps them engaged.

When I taught in a classroom environment, I always gave the 'option' of working with a partner. That way when kids didn't have a friend in the class, they aren't left out, but 'chose' to work alone. That way it isn't 'quiet' work all the time. I understand the feeling of being forced to work with a partner, very unpleasant.

I never assign 'partner' projects. Did one in the 6th grade, scarred me for life :rotfl: and I know that I never want my students to endure that

For partners/groups use a deck of cards- figure out how many is in the group and hand out the cards, student partners with the person who has the same number as you or you could do colors, red 2's work together, black 2's work together or if you are doing more in a group you can do all 2's together or 3's together or you could mix it up and do 2,3,4,5 is group 1 6,7,8,9 group 2.

This works for odd number classes because you can always have 6 groups of 2 and 1 group of 3 students.

Also, if you allow students to pick the card out of your hand tell them to choose their destiny for the period, they can't complain about who they are with because THEY choose the card (destiny) for that class period.

Ugh! Some of my worst school memories involved picking teams and working in groups. Forced interaction is the worst!

Smartboard tool called random name generator. I input the kids names in September and all year have the ability to randomly pick students to do problems (no more popsicle sticks) and put students into groups from partners up to splitting the class in half.

I teach as well, and as far as having kids choosing their own partners, most of us avoid it like the plague! I don't even know where that would still be the norm. Most of us know that it usually leads to hurt feelings and lower productivity (best friends would often rather chat than work).

Also, we know that in the real world, you have to work with people you may not want to work with. The younger years are a great time for learning how to deal with a wide variety of personalities and working styles.

I teach as well, and as far as having kids choosing their own partners, most of us avoid it like the plague! I don't even know where that would still be the norm. Most of us know that it usually leads to hurt feelings and lower productivity (best friends would often rather chat than work).

Also, we know that in the real world, you have to work with people you may not want to work with. The younger years are a great time for learning how to deal with a wide variety of personalities and working styles.

It has been an issue with DD for the last two years (grades 6 and 7). I know there are a lot of other options, but her teachers aren't using them.

I have taught and subbed in three states and in each of them "partnering up" happens often. It wasn't much of an issue in elementary school. Middle school was where I started noticing that it was a big problem.

I get tired of the teacher picking and putting my kid with kids who dont get as high of grades. Don't put my A student with an F student to boost that kids grade. That kid doesn't all of a sudden do better work, my kid does most of it.

Smartboard tool called random name generator. I input the kids names in September and all year have the ability to randomly pick students to do problems (no more popsicle sticks) and put students into groups from partners up to splitting the class in half.

I sooo wish we had a SMARTboard in any of the classrooms I've worked in so far :/ Learned the basics in my tech for teachers class, but haven't yet gotten to actually practice on (or play with) one.

I sooo wish we had a SMARTboard in any of the classrooms I've worked in so far :/ Learned the basics in my tech for teachers class, but haven't yet gotten to actually practice on (or play with) one.

ICT Magic is one of my favorite websites.

Here is a link listed through ICT Magic:
http://ictmagic.sharedby.co/share/bQKtJy

You do not need an interactive whiteboard to use these tools. I do not have a board, but simply hook up my laptop to a projector.

Have fun! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter