Parks Days Before the Marathon?

Danislee

Mouseketeer
My husband is thinking about running the marathon in 2013. It will be his first time.

How advisable is it to go to the parks on the days leading up to the race?

We've been to Disney before and we know what we like to do and generally we take our time. (Sit to eat, get a full eight hours each night, lots of water, watch some shows.) I know almost nothing about running, so I thought I should ask.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would advise not walking around EPCOT, and stick to a smaller park like DHS before the marathon. You can get in a lot of miles walking around EPCOT without realizing it.

Hi 317 (which I'm guessing might be a reference to Miss Saigon) apologies if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the advice. I really should try and figure out where we do walk the most. We will both have our pedometers which I think will help.

Hi 317 (which I'm guessing might be a reference to Miss Saigon) apologies if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the advice. I really should try and figure out where we do walk the most. We will both have our pedometers which I think will help.

Yes, it's a Miss Saigon reference. Good catch.

Also, if you're planning a pool day (although January probably won't be pool weather), remember to wear lots of sunscreen.

It really depends on your husband's goal. If he just wants the experience and is planning to go slow and enjoy the course and the characters, then going around the parks shouldn't be too bad, as long as he takes breaks and doesn't tire his legs and back out too much. If he wants to run for time, walking the parks isn't a great idea, unless he plans to stay in the entrance area. I can personally recommend AGAINST riding Space Mountain before the race, though. In WDW, there's a bar between the legs and my knees were banged up pretty badly. I wouldn't do it the day after, either, but your husband can see how he feels.

Thanks.

He's running more for the experience than for time. I will warn him about Space Mountain though, that's a favorite of his, but it can wait.

I think it also depends on how experienced a marathoner your husband is. If he's run enough of them to know how much rest or exercise he needs before a race and when he needs it, then spending some time in a park might be fine. From my own personal experience, I know that I need some sort of moderate exercise a few days before a race just to keep my muscles loose, so I spent Thursday afternoon before this year's Goofy walking around and riding rides at Universal. Some of my other running friends don't want any extra exercise at all during their taper period, so they would never think of going to a park so close to the race. It all depends on the individual.

I would not be afraid of Epcot, but definitely avoid MK. While large, one usually piles on more miles in MK than any of the four parks. In Epcot you have park benches and the need to push through the park is less than most others. The better thing to do is plan you trip to arrive on Thursday-Friday and hit the expo. Then possibly a park on Saturday. I like the pool day and 75% of the time you can your a pool with little thought.

The goal if parking is to always have a bottle of water in hand and to continually draw from the bottle.

Post race, you would ideally stay until Tuesday or later. That will give him great few days to walk off the soreness.

Good question and info. I was tentatively planning on an AK day a couple of days before my half. I only ride the safari. It's one of my favorite parks to just sit and soak up the ambiance.

OP...I see you are asking about 2013, and I don't know the dates of the marathon weekend for that year. I would suggest to people doing the marathon weekend in 2012 that it falls relatively early in the month compared to some years, so there will be more of an overlap with the people finishing up their Christmas/winter break and I bet the parks are going to be fairly crowded the few days before the marathon, since a lot of kids won't be back in school yet. With that, it means more standing in lines and to me, more frustration.

Definitely plan for some park time after the race....the parks are usually much less crowded and you will see plenty of runners with their medals on (or you can tell by the limping). My plan since 2000 has been to go to Epcot on the afternoon after the race, have a margarita, and ease my way around the WS. I find I am much less stiff (though tired) if I walk around the next couple of days rather than sit still.

I just did my first marathon in January. We arrived on THursday and I spent Friday in AK and MK, and Saturday in Epcot. We took it really slow and leisurely. We also made it an early day. We left Epcot by 4pm, had an early dinner at the resort, and then I TRIED to go to bed early, but I was too excited to sleep.

I don't think it matters what park you visit before the race- just take it a little easy. No comando vacationing for a few days before. The reason to do a Disney run is to be at Disney- just do it smart. Do get out of the parks by 4ish (or sit down for you pre-race meal about then and leave just after your meal).

I agree with a walk around a park (again slowly and no comando) and a celebration dinner after the race!

A few years ago I ran the Goofy. After the half on Sat I decided that since it was a family vacation and I was not running for time we would go to MK. Even though we had a relatively early day it was still stupid on my part. By the time we left my legs were really tired and achy. Through the first four miles the next day, I was very tired but loosened up and completed the full by walking most of the last 8 miles. I would say to relax the day before and maybe stay an extra day on the end of the vacation.

The parks are always more fun AFTER the race. We get there as late as possible and then use any park days for Sun night, Monday, etc.

Whenever we travel to a race we try to get there as late as possible. I know sometimes it is not always possible but I prefer my "free" days after the event.

enjoy,
Duane

I'm with the group that would advise to have fun and vaca if you can stay AFTER the weekend events. Definitely fun since folks wear their medals to the parks and you can enjoy congratulating each other. It helps to be able to walk it off in the parks the days after too.

If you must arrive early, go with what everyone has mentioned on the slow and easy and hopefully it will be a great race experience.

I'd just like to say thanks all, excellent advice! I've re-evaluated our vacation plans and we're going to add a bit more onto our vacation after the marathon. We may go around a bit casually before, but at the very least I won't be so paranoid about doing a little bit.

FWIW... Even elites will do "shake out runs" even the day before a marathon or half mary. You shouldn't be sitting around doing nothing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter