• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parking ? while visiting Washington, DC

Just remember that for Metro, if you are driving to the station, you will have to pay to park (unless a Federal holiday) as well as to ride. Plus you will pay more if you don't have a SmartTrip card. We have priced the 3 of us from Vienna to Smithsonian, with parking, at around $18.

For those asking for disability access, check the left hand side of this link http://www.wmata.com/?forcedesktop=1 to see what elevators aren't working.

Weekend parking is free at our Metro garage in Largo, MD. Wouldn't all of the Metro garages have the same weekend policy?

I second or fifth or whatever the Metro we've only taken our car downtown once in the 8 years we've lived here and were so sorry, we will never do it again. Metro is really easy, clean and I don't find it to be prohibitively expensive compared to paying to park and the hassle that can be.

Park at the Reagan Building, entering at 14th St. The building is 1 block from some of the Smithsonians and 1 block from the White House and only costs $15. The parking is plentiful if you get there early enough (before 11am or so). They will do a small search of the vehicle and will ask to see the driver's license but that's it. We have lived near DC for 8 years and have yet to ride Metro (it's expensive and not worth it for us) and we either park on the street or at Reagan Bldg. We have parked at Reagan about 10-15 times so far with no security or space issues at all. Also, the main level has a food court if you don't want to eat at the museums. And there are bathrooms there which help before you head outside.

Good luck and enjoy.
This! Reagan building rocks! Who wants to go on a crowded metro? Yuck!

:confused: I am sad can not walk distances , have wheelchair so there is no way I can do the Metro, I really want to go to the same place...I have looked on line and there are handicapped parking spots on the street does anyone think I will be able to actually get one... I think this might be a circumstance where. I am dropped off and hubby returns after parking somewhere .. Do folks think that will be the best idea ? I have already realized the best I can do for monuments is a drive by... Sad..Thanks all who respond

I lived there many years ago and we still have relatives that live in the area. My mom was in a wheelchair and we would almost always go into downtown DC using the Metro. The only time we would take our handicap van in would be at night to drive around to see the monuments and the handicap spots were easily available by then.

To the OP, I would seriously reconsider taking the Metro.

The Ronald Reagan building is close to the mall area and I believe there is a flat rate to pay on weekends...$20-25. We were there last summer and we parked there and the Smithsonians were only a block away.

I always thought DC was kind of dead on the weekends and the traffic wasn't as crazy as weekdays. The only time I ever saw it wall to wall people and traffic was the 4th of July. We did it one year on land and the few years after that was by boat.

Metro also gives you the flexibility to start and end your day at different points. Summers in DC are sweltering, and if you started at one end of the Mall but end at another, it will be such a relief to hop on the nearest Metro rather than trudge back to where you parked your car!

That said, I'm a local and rarely have trouble finding on-street parking if I go early enough -- ideally about 45 minutes before the museums open.

Have fun!

Personally, I would also Metro in. There are just so many variables driving in - seriously, one little fender bender that morning could put you on the road forever.

We are also from NJ. I absolutely HATE the NYC subway system. It is dirty, loud and confusing. The DC Metro system is nothing like that. It is clean (no open food or drinks), quiet (music only through headphones) and has very clear instructions.

We drive to the Greenbelt Station and take the Metro to see our daughter at George Washington U often.

You should try it.

We go to D.C. a few times a year. We live in Williamsburg. We always park at the Springfield Metro station for the day and take the Metro in. Plenty of parking and you're far enough away from the city so that you don't have to drive through it once you leave (you can take the interstates going around DC back to NJ).

We go to D.C. a few times a year. We live in Williamsburg. We always park at the Springfield Metro station for the day and take the Metro in. Plenty of parking and you're far enough away from the city so that you don't have to drive through it once you leave (you can take the interstates going around DC back to NJ).

For someone coming from New Jersey, the Greenbelt metro station is about 35 miles closer and right on 95 south at exit 24. Parking is 4.50 a day.

Your best bet would be to ride the Marta in. Seriously DC traffic is horrid and parking is worse - especially holiday weekends. :)

Yep, this. Park at Pentagon City and ride the Metro in (or whichever stop is closest to you).

I don't even bother with a rental when I go to DC anymore. I fly into Reagan and stay in Crystal City. Just take the Metro everywhere I want to go. And, if the Metro won't get me there, I take a cab.

I would avoid the busses though...

But, the trains aren't bad.

For someone coming from New Jersey, the Greenbelt metro station is about 35 miles closer and right on 95 south at exit 24. Parking is 4.50 a day.

I thought the OP said she was coming back to NJ from Williamsburg :confused3.

Although, the OP also said he/she had no interest in riding the metro so neither of these posts may be very helpful :).

I thought the OP said she was coming back to NJ from Williamsburg :confused3.

Although, the OP also said he/she had no interest in riding the metro so neither of these posts may be very helpful :).

I noted that after I posted.

That said, a couple of other people talked also about visiting soon, parking, metro, etc, so whatever info may help someone.

Maybe Tyson's Metro will finally open<g>.

OP here. Thanks for all the info. I don't think we will take the metro because I found a great price on the Hyatt Regioncy and everything is within walking distance. I think the valet parking at the hotel is around $50/night but I have googled parking garages and can get a garage within .2 miles from the hotel for $77 for 4 days. We are not going to use the car while we are there, so we will park it and then pick it up when we are going to return home.

Off topic, but I would highly recommend you make reservations to eat at Founding Farmers while you are there. By far, my favorite restaurant in DC. I have been known to make the 2 hour drive up just for their food. The chicken and waffles are the most amazing thing I've ever eaten.

Parkingpanda dot com
Go online and reserve and prepay (saves some $$) your parking in the Reagan building

You can also pick other locations. Did this for dds
Graduation at constitution hall and it worked like a charm

You have to get there early for handicap parking

Maybe park and then use uber to get a car to take you to the mall

The metro is handicap accessible. There are elevators in all stations .

We plan on visiting Wash, DC to primarily go to the Smithsonian's museums on labor day weekend. We will be returning from Williamsburg on our way home to NJ. I got a great rate at a Marriott, Tyson's Corner. I know it is not close to the city but for $79, it includes parking and full breakfast for the 5 of us. I have no desire to ride the metro, so we want to drive into DC. Is it possible to get parking close to the museum's on a Saturday and Sunday morning? I am hoping the city won't be too busy on labor day weekend. Hopefully people will be home having barbeque's. ;) Also, if there are parking garages, how much is the fee to park for the day? Thanks

Whether you 'desire' to ride the Metro, or not, it's basically the only good way to go! We've been many times, also lived just north in MD for a few years, and we always park at a Metro 'garage' and get off right in the 'Mall' area. It may not be cheap, but there is 'very' little parking close to the museums. Then we plan on lots of walking!!

Don't count on most being home having Bar B Q's - there are 'lots' of people that 'think' the way you do! ;) Also, I assume it's the same, but we always went down for a picnic and the National Symphony concert at the Capitol (thousands of people). Afterwards - 'total chaos'!!!!!

We will be visiting DC next weekend and have decided to take the metro into the mall so thanks to everyone who posted their opinions. We are staying in Springfield because of an event we are attending and then will leave our car at the hotel and walk to the metro station.

I got a parking spot easily on the street in front of the capital building,the parking was easy but afterwards I got seriously confused trying to drive out of there.We were on a road trip and basically just stopped there for a couple of hours to then get on the road again.I think I drove by the Jefferson Memorial like 4 times trying to find my way out.

I got a parking spot easily on the street in front of the capital building,the parking was easy but afterwards I got seriously confused trying to drive out of there.We were on a road trip and basically just stopped there for a couple of hours to then get on the road again.I think I drove by the Jefferson Memorial like 4 times trying to find my way out.

You must have been 'one' lucky person!! Or else, you managed to get missed by the Mall Patrol - have 'never' seen available parking there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter