Park Hopping - How is capacity determined?

Jayhawk75

Earning My Ears
I cannot find this answer from Disney.
Do we believe the “capacity” they will use to determine if you can park hop is based on the number of park reservations originally made for that day? Or is there some method they are tracking guests who LEAVE a park, thus making space for others?

my upcoming arrival day my flight doesn’t land until 1pm. So I do not plan to enter MK until probably closer to 3pm. I have a park reservation for MK that day. With the original implementation of park reservations I could enter at any time of the day for that park. But is there now a possibility I could be denied entry if I arrive after 2pm because park hoppers have entered???

I cannot find this answer from Disney.
Do we believe the “capacity” they will use to determine if you can park hop is based on the number of park reservations originally made for that day? Or is there some method they are tracking guests who LEAVE a park, thus making space for others?

my upcoming arrival day my flight doesn’t land until 1pm. So I do not plan to enter MK until probably closer to 3pm. I have a park reservation for MK that day. With the original implementation of park reservations I could enter at any time of the day for that park. But is there now a possibility I could be denied entry if I arrive after 2pm because park hoppers have entered???

You won't be denied park entry if you have a park reservation for MK on your arrival day no matter what time you get there. Disney has said that more details regarding park hopping will come out closer to January 1st, but I haven't seen any yet.

Disney has said that when you reserve a park you need not worry about being denied entry. Even if you should choose to leave the park for a bit (like a nap or swim) you shouldnt be denied re entry to your reserved park. I think how the system will basically read it is that your reserved park is your reserved park until you make a reservation (if thats how they do it)/ enter another park for the day. Once you reserve/ enter another park, that is now your reserved park. We will find out in a few days!

Disney has said that when you reserve a park you need not worry about being denied entry. Even if you should choose to leave the park for a bit (like a nap or swim) you shouldnt be denied re entry to your reserved park. I think how the system will basically read it is that your reserved park is your reserved park until you make a reservation (if thats how they do it)/ enter another park for the day. Once you reserve/ enter another park, that is now your reserved park. We will find out in a few days!
The park you hop to (after 2pm) wil not require a reservation. So as it stands now your reserved park is your park for the day. You can park hop to another and return to your reserved park after if you wish

Just curious on park hopping. If all 4 parks are at capacity, how will they even allow park hopping?
I would guess, if the park is at capacity you will not be allowed to park hop.
I wonder if there will be something in MDE that will tell you if a park has room to hop to? Without that, you could have very unhappy guests wasting time going to a park they can't enter.

• We will set specific Park Hopper hours during which this option will be available. Park Hopper hours will start at 2 PM each day and end at the park’s scheduled close time. Guests are now able to check the Park Hours calendar and soon will be able to check the My Disney Experience app for the most up-to-date Park Hopper hours, as they could start earlier at a later date, depending on the day and park.
  • With the updated Park Hopper experience, Guests must make a Disney Park Pass reservation for the first park they plan to visit AND enter that first park prior to visiting another. At this time, a park reservation is not required after the first park, however, reservation requirements are subject to change.
I have a feeling they're going to try linking the hopping options thru MDE at some point but don't want to commit just yet. We'll be hopping at least 4 nights starting Jan 8 and I'll update our experience.

The park you hop to (after 2pm) wil not require a reservation. So as it stands now your reserved park is your park for the day. You can park hop to another and return to your reserved park after if you wish
If this is true how will they control numbers...it will be as if Park Hoppers that hop are taking up double the allocation?

If this is true how will they control numbers...it will be as if Park Hoppers that hop are taking up double the allocation?
We'll have to see what happens once January comes. It's a safe bet WDW understands what to expect and already has contingency plans to keep the system running smoothly. They are very capable with data. I wouldn't worry too much.

On any regular day, excluding holidays and spring break, the parks usually don't even reach 50% of regular pre covid capacity. Right now it is assumed that capacity is capped at 35%. There won't be many issues with park hopping capacity besides DHS.

Reserved park pass is your placeholder as long as you’re in the park or hop to another park. So hypothetically, is EPCOT’s capacity is 100 guests,

Hypothetical EPCOT Capacity - 100 Guests
Park Reservation Guests (1st Park) - 60 Guests

Then they will allow up to 40 guests that didn’t have EPCOT as first park will be let in. But if say 10 out of those 60 guests who had EPCOT park reservation park hopped over to HS, they ‘relinquish’ that spot at EPCOT therefore opening up 10 more spots for other guests.

So there is a set amount of guests allowed and above model will be used to determine capacity.

Reserved park pass is your placeholder as long as you’re in the park or hop to another park. So hypothetically, is EPCOT’s capacity is 100 guests,

Hypothetical EPCOT Capacity - 100 Guests
Park Reservation Guests (1st Park) - 60 Guests

Then they will allow up to 40 guests that didn’t have EPCOT as first park will be let in. But if say 10 out of those 60 guests who had EPCOT park reservation park hopped over to HS, they ‘relinquish’ that spot at EPCOT therefore opening up 10 more spots for other guests.

So there is a set amount of guests allowed and above model will be used to determine capacity.
Only that those 10 epcot guests don't really relinquish their spot as they can return to the park later If they want to

I think everyone is obsessing over this. When it is a regular occurrence and an everyday operation . Disney knows what they're doing even with a somewhat limited capacity Disney doesn't reach anywhere near 100% on a day to day basis

Only that those 10 epcot guests don't really relinquish their spot as they can return to the park later If they want to

I think everyone is obsessing over this. When it is a regular occurrence and an everyday operation . Disney knows what they're doing even with a somewhat limited capacity Disney doesn't reach anywhere near 100% on a day to day basis

I spoke to a guest relations and they told us they do. If you leave the park to go to hotel or eat, you are guaranteed a spot. HOWEVER, if you choose to enter another park as park hopping option, you are subject to capacity rule again and not guaranteed a spot to enter back to the park.

that’s what I got from my girlfriend who’s a CM as well as what they’re being told

I spoke to a guest relations and they told us they do. If you leave the park to go to hotel or eat, you are guaranteed a spot. HOWEVER, if you choose to enter another park as park hopping option, you are subject to capacity rule again and not guaranteed a spot to enter back to the park.

that’s what I got from my girlfriend who’s a CM as well as what they’re being told
Where does she make magic?

This is really the only thing that makes sense if Disney is planning to still have hard capacities. There is no way Disney is going to maybe keep X number of spots available for people to hop back to a park, thereby potentially cutting their income. And I highly doubt that Disney is just going to "bank" on people not returning to their original parks as a way of keeping their numbers under capacity, they need an actual, dependable solution. The above is that solution.

I agree that most of the time it really isnt going to matter (but in that case you can just go back to your original park its NBD) but the times parks do near capacity Disney will want a system in place to make certain capacities are being upheld.

Park hopping is not new. It is just returning. All they need to do is up capacity slightly above the number of reservations.

My guess is you will see busy mornings at HS and EP to get the new rides. And Hoppers to the other parks for afternoons, if they missed a group or got an early ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter