Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Just booked our flight to Boston for Feb 19-22- visiting 5 schools, have interview appts and appts to talk to financial aid people at the schools. I hate Boston LOL- why couldn't it be visiting 5 schools in Florida!!!!
I'm booking a flight for DS to Boston in February. He has an audition at NEC.
What schools are you touring?

OMG - I just realized I never ordered this!!!
Or senior pictures...
Ugh... Mom of the year! :sad:
We ordered cap and gown, but not senior pictures. My DD and her friend took each other's photos with her Nikon camera. Saved me a BUNDLE!

LOL I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.:magnify: I live in the greater Boston area and am disappointed that DS only applied to 1 area school. I went to college in Boston and it is such a great city and college town! I absolutely loved living there.
I may have LOTS of questions for you!!!
New England Conservatory and Berklee are high on the list for my kid... We only toured the NY schools, so I'm pretty clueless about Boston.

We ordered cap and gown, but not senior pictures. My DD and her friend took each other's photos with her Nikon camera. Saved me a BUNDLE!
Good idea!!! My friend offered to take some for me. I want cap and gown photos, but we could wait for those... I'd probably get them back at the same time. Ordering from the school takes forever!!!

We had a form a little while back where I just had to mark that she wanted the basic cap and gown package- not ordering the announcements or the "Senior 2017" hoodies, etc.!

DD and BFF are having their grad reception together, since they both live a ways from the main town. Today DD texted if I thought a baked potato bar would be good. I think that sounds fairly easy (and probably cheaper than a meat based main food), if anyone has tips, let me know. We'll be in a church hall with two large stoves, so I could bake a lot of potatoes there, and fill my big roaster as needed at the counter for serving. Cheese, sour cream, ham, bacon, broccoli, chili, what else?

I'm planning on the reception on Mother's Day afternoon. That's the Sunday before graduation. That way she can go to all of the receptions that Saturday and the weekend of graduation. In addition, State Track is graduation weekend, so there is a good possibility she'll be running Thursday, Friday, and/or Saturday, and graduate on Sunday. I want the reception to be done before then.

DD and BFF are having their grad reception together, since they both live a ways from the main town. Today DD texted if I thought a baked potato bar would be good. I think that sounds fairly easy (and probably cheaper than a meat based main food), if anyone has tips, let me know. We'll be in a church hall with two large stoves, so I could bake a lot of potatoes there, and fill my big roaster as needed at the counter for serving. Cheese, sour cream, ham, bacon, broccoli, chili, what else?
My DD's summer swim team does a potato party every year. I would add to your list: butter, hot nacho cheese, onions, vegetarian chili & Fritos (I like the crunch on top). You can keep the potatoes wrapped in foil in a cooler once they are cooked to keep warm.

We had a form a little while back where I just had to mark that she wanted the basic cap and gown package- not ordering the announcements or the "Senior 2017" hoodies, etc.!

I'm planning on the reception on Mother's Day afternoon. That's the Sunday before graduation. That way she can go to all of the receptions that Saturday and the weekend of graduation. In addition, State Track is graduation weekend, so there is a good possibility she'll be running Thursday, Friday, and/or Saturday, and graduate on Sunday. I want the reception to be done before then.
I was going to suggest butter and chives.
Our church does this often. It's always a big hit!!!
Maybe add some bagged salads?

OMG - I just realized I never ordered this!!!
Or senior pictures...
Ugh... Mom of the year! :sad:
Ha! I just ordered DD's Senior pictures this past weekend! We've had her cap and gown for a while now. They had a big cap and gown Convocation ceremony back in late September to kick off senior year.

I'm booking a flight for DS to Boston in February. He has an audition at NEC.
What schools are you touring?

Northeastern, tufts, Boston u, Simmons and u mass Lowell. So far she has been accepted to Lowell out of those the rest she probably won't hear from till April 1st.
Sr pics are done at the end of 11th grade and if not done through the school the the kids pic is not in the yearbook. I have no clue when it's time to order cap and gown- just ordered the yearbook for 115.00.

Northeastern, tufts, Boston u, Simmons and u mass Lowell. So far she has been accepted to Lowell out of those the rest she probably won't hear from till April 1st.
Sr pics are done at the end of 11th grade and if not done through the school the the kids pic is not in the yearbook. I have no clue when it's time to order cap and gown- just ordered the yearbook for 115.00.

My dd got into Northeastern early action. She really liked it when we visited last summer. It's in a great area of Boston with the T right there are within walking distance to lots of places. The co-op program was the big draw for her.

We're going up in late February for accepted student day.

Good luck. I hope she likes Boston.

DS and I toured Northeastern, BU, UMASS-Amherst, UMASS-Lowell, UCONN and UNH. Northeastern surprised me the most and we both loved it. It was like a little town inside a big city. It did not feel like we were in Boston but yet the T was just outside of the campus. It was nothing like I remembered from visiting 28 years ago for myself!

Surprisingly, we were not impressed with BU. I'm sort of glad DS didn't like it because it's so expensive!

I hope you enjoy your visits.

-Dianne

I just bought plane tickets for DS to fly to Miami alone for his jazz audition... I feel like I'm going to be sick.
This will be his first solo flight, solo uber, and first 2nd round scholarship audition. Ugh... I'm way more nervous than him!!! :sad:

Ha! I just ordered DD's Senior pictures this past weekend! We've had her cap and gown for a while now. They had a big cap and gown Convocation ceremony back in late September to kick off senior year.
I finally ordered both today...
Anyone want to buy a kidney??? :scared:

DD got accepted Early Action to James Madison University! She is soooooo excited!!! JMU and Virginia Tech are tied as her first choice, but JMU has better majors for her. She is so relieved!!!!
WOW!!! That's impressive! Congratulations! :flower:

I just bought plane tickets for DS to fly to Miami alone for his jazz audition... I feel like I'm going to be sick.
This will be his first solo flight, solo uber, and first 2nd round scholarship audition. Ugh... I'm way more nervous than him!!! :sad:
We sent DS to Boston on a plane on his own last summer. He loved it. Got around by shuttle, bus and Uber. He couldn't believe we let him go alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter