Parents of College Class of 2018 (A.K.A., "Is this the line to the poor house?")

Glad to find this thread again - and I'm really glad I'm not the only one who's had a tough time with all of this. It's been a really tough summer for me. She is our only one and it's just going to be a lot different for us. Our situation is somewhat challenging as I (think) I explained before. She's (from what we understand) one of the few kids this school has ever had to be admitted to both the honors program and a very specialized program for students with autism. We are super proud of all she's accomplished and she has defied many, many of the predictions that were made so many years ago but this is going to be huge step for her. I'm really trying to cope. Running helps a lot and I'm doing it every day right now as part of a challenge (can you run 100 days straight - I'm on day 49).

Anyway, we did orientation as well - a few weeks ago. She stayed in the dorm overnight without us and did very, very well - better than I did at the parent orientation sessions which honestly just overwhelmed me (and I teach at a community college). Move - in day is August 22. It's just an hour away from us but that is way further than she has ever been without us. Even reading this, I sound a little nuts to myself. We've told her over and over that she's ready (and she honestly is ready). Admittedly, the autism and multiple learning issues have taken a lot of time and energy but we have (especially the last few years) really worked on those independent living skills and she does pretty well. She's texted with her roommate and also has made a couple of friends who will be in the same dorm with her. That's been really nice to see - she made friends at both the honors day in January and again at orientation. That could not have happened a few years ago and does make me feel better.

One thing my husband and I were told to do by some friends was to take that weekend away so after we drop her off, we're headed to a nice resort we've always wanted to spend some time at. It's a place I know we'll like and it's given me something to focus on. It's not too far away but it will save us coming home to the house for a couple of days.

Anyway, much thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread. It's nice to not feel so alone.

Wow! I've seen so many folks mention that their kids have had orientation already. It seems like my DS is the only one who has to wait until he is on campus in August.....

DS also has orientation the weekend of Aug 22nd. So we'll drop him and his stuff of Friday morning, hopefully meet the roomies and their parents, then head out to explore. Parents orientation is Sat Aug 23rd. Classes start Mon Aug 25th.
He is working a baseball camp where the team works out so he will be meeting one of his roommates next week. He has texted them and they seem to get along just fine so far! I thought it was really nice that one of his roomies said "Can't wait to start making 4 yrs of memories with you guys!" :thumbsup2

I am after him to sit and shop with me as far as bedding, etc, and to coordinate with his roommates who will bring what, but alas, that has yet to happen!! Boys!! :rotfl2:

My plan was always to drop DD off and then have a weekend away to "celebrate" our empty nest. (You can read celebrate as more likely cry in our beer somewhere other than home!) but DD's move in day is Sunday the 17th and DH and I really have crazy busy work stuff the next week so we'll have to forgo the weekend away. We'll have to make do with being too tired to dwell on it after the exhaustion of an 8 hour round trip and move in on a Sunday.

DD is having her wisdom teeth out next week. We're having company the first few days in August and gone on vacation the 5th-12th so it's coming fast but I have lots to take my mind off it.

I think DD has bought everything although I thought that last weekend and she's done two Amazon Prime orders since that declaration. I'm actually starting to wonder if there is a dorm shopping end point for a girl. DD's boyfriend's mom says that he's really only concerned with how he'll have plenty of food and drink in his dorm.

I am a bit concerned about the boyfriend situation. He's a great kid and they get along so well but he will be at A&M and DD will be 3 hours away at UNT. If they can't survive separation like they plan then I hope that they at least can mutually part without drama or either of them going through a rough patch freshman year. They are great friends.

My dd just had orientation July 16-18 and everything went well. She had a great time and is looking forward to moving in to her dorm in.....35 days. :sad: I don't know how I'm going to get through this!

DD is our only child and the college she'll be attending is six hours away. We're becoming familiar with the area, and the college and I feel she made a good choice. There are six other kids from her high school that just graduated with her and will be attending the same school, so it's nice that she already knows some students and she met a bunch more at orientation.

We're about halfway done with dorm shopping, but we're getting there.

Ugh, our house is going to be so quiet when she's up at school. It's going to be strange.

Oh well, she starts school on August 25th, and we'll get to see her for Family Weekend which is September 19. I can do this! :rotfl:

Okay, possibly a stupid question, lol... When are y'alls kids ordering their books?? DS & I can't figure out if he should order them early and have them sent to the house, or wait and order them a few days before he moves into the dorm and just have them sent to him there at school. I would think the latter would be the better option -- just because it's one less pile of heavy things to have to haul from the car to the dorm -- but I'm wondering if there's some drawback I'm not thinking of...

What are y'all doing about books?

And here's my extremely silly but no less emotional moment for the weekend... The BF & I went to the new ginormous Buc-Ee's yesterday for fudge, and I made a quick restroom pitstop there. I got this weird deja vu feeling and it dawned on me that of all the times I had visited one of the incredibly clean and nice Buc-Ee's bathrooms, it had been during a band trip over the past four years. And I realized how much I am going to miss those trips, miss being a band mom, and most of all miss the shared experiences like that with my DS. We might have been on different buses and never saw each other during the trip itself, but he always knew I was there in the stands screaming for the band like a crazy person, and we had our own stories to share when we each got back. And, well, :sad:

Someone else please share some silly weepy moment and make me feel better, LOL. :rolleyes:

Okay, possibly a stupid question, lol... When are y'alls kids ordering their books?? DS & I can't figure out if he should order them early and have them sent to the house, or wait and order them a few days before he moves into the dorm and just have them sent to him there at school. I would think the latter would be the better option -- just because it's one less pile of heavy things to have to haul from the car to the dorm -- but I'm wondering if there's some drawback I'm not thinking of...

And here's my extremely silly but no less emotional moment for the weekend... The BF & I went to the new ginormous Buc-Ee's yesterday for fudge, and I made a quick restroom pitstop there. I got this weird deja vu feeling and it dawned on me that of all the times I had visited one of the incredibly clean and nice Buc-Ee's bathrooms, it had been during a band trip over the past four years. And I realized how much I am going to miss those trips, miss being a band mom, and most of all miss the shared experiences like that with my DS. We might have been on different buses and never saw each other during the trip itself, but he always knew I was there in the stands screaming for the band like a crazy person, and we had our own stories to share when we each got back. And, well, :sad:

Someone else please share some silly weepy moment and make me feel better, LOL. :rolleyes:

I weep daily, more than once per day. A couple of weeks ago we were discussing the Ghostbusters movie that is being re-released in theaters for one day for it's 30th Anniverary. I looked up the date, 3 days after we move her into her dorms. We both stuck our lips out and pouted. Dh pipes in, she's going to be gone for lot's of movie releases. I ran upstairs into the bathroom and started sobbing.
She does something goofy and we both start laughing, and I realize I won't bump into her in the kitchen or hallway, and see her make goofy faces at me anymore, more sobbing.
She leaves one month from yesterday. We just got back from a week long vacation where we were together every single minute of the day. Which as wonderful as it was, is making it even worse, thinking of not seeing her every day, or even once a month.

What are y'all doing about books?:

My older dd has friends in college and they suggested to wait...the professor could use an ebook, not use the book at all, change the edition, etc.
I think we are going to wait until it's closer to classes starting.
We can rent them from the school itself, but I will be doing a spreadsheet as previously suggested on this thread so when it's time I'll know what I'm doing.

MY overwhelming thing is the financial aid. :sad2:

I am after him to sit and shop with me as far as bedding, etc, and to coordinate with his roommates who will bring what, but alas, that has yet to happen!! Boys!! :rotfl2:

Guys generally don't. I'd say just buy grey; it shows less dirt. Guys usually only bother to coordinate the electronics: who is bringing the X-box and who is bringing the TV? Maybe they might work out a deal on the micro and fridge as well, but forget anything beyond that.

Two things you can buy right now with no problems: school-approved high-amperage flexible surge protectors that will accommodate power bricks, and also a toolkit containing basic tools (including a rubber mallet, a socket set, Allen wrenches, and a cordless electric screwdriver with several bits) and first aid-supplies.

He (or she) who owns a stocked toolbox makes friends easily. :)

Guys generally don't. I'd say just buy grey; it shows less dirt. Guys usually only bother to coordinate the electronics: who is bringing the X-box and who is bringing the TV? Maybe they might work out a deal on the micro and fridge as well, but forget anything beyond that.

Two things you can buy right now with no problems: school-approved high-amperage flexible surge protectors that will accommodate power bricks, and also a toolkit containing basic tools (including a rubber mallet, a socket set, Allen wrenches, and a cordless electric screwdriver with several bits) and first aid-supplies.

He (or she) who owns a stocked toolbox makes friends easily. :)

Yup....went on the Target website and got everything in Navy blue...:rotfl: I asked if that color was ok and he said IDC.
Toolkit is a great idea.:goodvibes
His one roommate already said he would bring the TV and game console because he is somewhat of a gamer. I guess that means we are up for the fridge or the microwave...:rolleyes1

My son is going to get his books when he moves into his dorm because he will still have a couple of weeks before school starts.

I can't believe how quickly his senior year went by and that it's almost time for him to go away to college. The campus is about 10 hours away, so we will not be able visit him often.

He is the youngest, so my husband and I will have an empty nest when he goes off to school. We are taking a cruise in Sept and it will be the first time we have been on a family vacation without my son since the day he was born.

Had a mini-meltdown the night we went dorm shopping! It all kind of hit me at bedtime. And then the next night I lost it watching the scene in the Blindside when they drop Michael off at college. I want to go somewhere for a couple days with my kids before this all ends. College DS chose to not go on our beach vacation so I'd like to spend some quality time before he leaves. It is coming all too soon....plus a junior in HS and my baby starts junior high! AUGH:(

We bought bedding stuff at Target, not many choices for boys - blue or gray, solid or stripes. lol Also got a trash can (black) and a laundry/duffel bag. We have started shopping....

Got the roommate info on Friday but haven't heard from him yet. DS has created a whole persona for "Micah". lol It started when my 2nd DS was being obnoxious and DS said "Micah would never act like that". Now everything is about Micah.:rotfl: DS is waiting a few days to call him. The info came out in the school email and is supposed to be mailed too. My ds would never have thought to check his email if I hadn't been bugging him so we are guessing Micah didn't check his either. The first contact with the roomie is more stressful than dating. :rolleyes:

As for books, we are planning on getting them before he leaves. He is probably going to rent using chegg.com or skyo.com.

We bought bedding stuff at Target, not many choices for boys - blue or gray, solid or stripes. lol Also got a trash can (black) and a laundry/duffel bag. We have started shopping....

Got the roommate info on Friday but haven't heard from him yet. DS has created a whole persona for "Micah". lol It started when my 2nd DS was being obnoxious and DS said "Micah would never act like that". Now everything is about Micah.:rotfl: DS is waiting a few days to call him. The info came out in the school email and is supposed to be mailed too. My ds would never have thought to check his email if I hadn't been bugging him so we are guessing Micah didn't check his either. The first contact with the roomie is more stressful than dating. :rolleyes:

As for books, we are planning on getting them before he leaves. He is probably going to rent using chegg.com or skyo.com.

That's funny (the whole Micah thing...:lmao:).
DS wouldn't have figured out anything with his roommates except that they are all baseball players, and the coach emailed them with a schedule for a bb camp they will be helping out with, so I scoped out the names in the emails, and found ds's roommates, and made him email them. They've been texting and follow each other on social media now (he says). So yeah, I think that they can be a little bit oblivious!!

Love the whole Micah thing..

We are almost done shopping... I have bought everything but the new printer, cleaning supplies and food.

DS and his roommate have been talking via facebook and he has been texting DS today while he is shopping.. They have been splitting things up and have questioned one another in regards to allergies.

As for books... I buy early when I can..and have already been renting books w/ due dates after 12/21 when the kids will be home so I can once over the books, package and ship out myself.

Several of DS's books we have to buy on campus because they have those darn EXPENSIVE access codes. One of his books is custom for his professor too.. and of course I'm sure that book can not be sold back at the end of the semester.

I haven't had many break downs yet...but I think it is because DD and DS will be attending the same college. But I will cry when we depart campus on 8/21.

DD returns to campus on 8/8 for training and to get the floor ready for move in. She is excited... DS is like "whatever"...

I hadn't thought about cleaning supplies. I can't imagine my son cleaning. Guess, I better just in case.

I had no idea about those codes for books either. I have to buy one new since they need the code to take the online tests. ARG!

DS had connected with 2 of his 3 roomies. He might have connected with the 3rd today. I received a text that they had the fridge, microwave and small TV covered. DS is taking the Wii.

I feel really far behind in getting his stuff purchased. Guess I will be more than broke come August!
Lori

You can check with the publisher and see if they sell the codes separately from the books (they usually do, finding it on the website can be a pain). Custom books have to be purchased from the bookstore (usually), but check on facebook for a book exchange.

We will order books to rent at the end of July probably through chegg, but I will check other websites, too. Chegg only takes 7 days for the books to arrive while some of the others take 2 weeks or more, so that is something to consider.

How do you know if a new book has to be purchased because of a needed online code vs being able to get a rental? I'm a little concerned that I'll get a rental and then find out it's not going to work. Also, I don't want to buy a new book because of a perceived need for a code only to find out that the code was never used.

I hadn't thought about cleaning supplies. I can't imagine my son cleaning. Guess, I better just in case.

I had no idea about those codes for books either. I have to buy one new since they need the code to take the online tests. ARG!

DS had connected with 2 of his 3 roomies. He might have connected with the 3rd today. I received a text that they had the fridge, microwave and small TV covered. DS is taking the Wii.

I feel really far behind in getting his stuff purchased. Guess I will be more than broke come August!
Lori

Just and FYI, I was recently at my local Tuesday Morning and they have a whole lot of items meant for college students. MUCH less expensive than Target for better stuff, as long as you are not needing to have it delivered.

How do you know if a new book has to be purchased because of a needed online code vs being able to get a rental? I'm a little concerned that I'll get a rental and then find out it's not going to work. Also, I don't want to buy a new book because of a perceived need for a code only to find out that the code was never used.

My son's student mentor told him to get the book new or make sure the code wasn't used if getting rental or used book. I had him ask with this code was about and found out it was for testing. News to me! I am on the search to find the best price on a new one.
Lori

Books- renting from Chegg. Priced out Amazon but Cheg was a little less and I want to go with one place only.

Weepy moment-We're sitting here watching Big Brother right now and I'm thinking, "Who will watch crap reality TV with me?!"

ETA- Weepy moment shared by a friend...
DD: Starts making up a silly song that has mom laughing until she starts crying.
Mom: crying, "Who's going to make me laugh like you do?"
Daughter: crying now, "Who's going to think I'm as funny as you do?"

Okay I can help with the whole code thing. My husband and I teach math at a large community college (we don't call them that in Florida anymore because we give out four year degrees as well but it's essentially a community college).

In math, the code is essential for turning in homework if your professor chooses to require online homework. I do and about 90% of my colleagues do as well (especially in courses below Calc I). We use two different systems (depending on the course) and it is much better money - wise to purchase the new book with the code packaged than an online book with the code separately. One twist is that most of the online systems have an e - book and since I rarely use the book in class, you can get away with actually purchasing the code versus the book and the code if you're comfortable with an e - book.

My husband teaches online courses and all of his quizzes are also through these systems as well. You have to have access but this does vary.

Hoping that makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter