Parents of College Class of 2018 (A.K.A., "Is this the line to the poor house?")

I just wanted to say my DD and I made it through her HS graduation! My dd has ADHD and learning disabilty, so school was hard for her . I made it 3/4 through my daughter watching my daughter walk the stage w/o crying ! She hugged her assistant principal , who helped get my daughter through high school and my Former teacher, and Lost it! We left for Disney the day after graduation and are having a blast w/ the whole family! She leaves for fire department bunk in Aug 15!

Noticed the change in the thread title- I like it but it raises the question, What are everyone's expectations for the time it will take our college freshman to finish?

DD's college has a push on to encourage students to finish in four. Including a plan to let us lock in tuition cost now for the next four years.

We are going in with the expectation that DD will finish in 4 but I have made that comment to a couple of real life friends and they do not expect that. Am I unrealistic?

My dd is doing a double major and also wants to study abroad, so while 4 would be great, if it takes 4 1/2, I really won't be too surprised. If she changes to a major/minor instead,that might make a difference.

I just wanted to say my DD and I made it through her HS graduation! My dd has ADHD and learning disabilty, so school was hard for her . I made it 3/4 through my daughter watching my daughter walk the stage w/o crying ! She hugged her assistant principal , who helped get my daughter through high school and my Former teacher, and Lost it! We left for Disney the day after graduation and are having a blast w/ the whole family! She leaves for fire department bunk in Aug 15!��

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

congrats to both of you!!! She must be thrilled!

I was at BB and Beyond today at lunch, and they were putting out a lot of the dorm stuff. I think most of it will be out by tonight, with the space they had left.

Noticed the change in the thread title- I like it but it raises the question, What are everyone's expectations for the time it will take our college freshman to finish?

DD's college has a push on to encourage students to finish in four. Including a plan to let us lock in tuition cost now for the next four years.

We are going in with the expectation that DD will finish in 4 but I have made that comment to a couple of real life friends and they do not expect that. Am I unrealistic?

My daughter's scholarship is for 4 years, so she better finish in those 4 years! ;) My daughter is actually hoping to be able to graduate in 3 or 3 1/2 years. As long as she scored well enough on the Chemistry AP exam (we'll know next week for sure, but given her a+ average in the class, we aren't too worried), she'll be starting with 27 credits in September.

I don't think it's at all unrealistic to expect to graduate in 4 years if you are taking a normal 15 credit course load each semester, unless you are doing a co-op or something at some point, and even then if you plan well, you shouldn't have too much trouble with 4 years.

I just wanted to say my DD and I made it through her HS graduation! My dd has ADHD and learning disabilty, so school was hard for her . I made it 3/4 through my daughter watching my daughter walk the stage w/o crying ! She hugged her assistant principal , who helped get my daughter through high school and my Former teacher, and Lost it! We left for Disney the day after graduation and are having a blast w/ the whole family! She leaves for fire department bunk in Aug 15!dde22 Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

That is wonderful! I love hearing success stories like this. I teach elementary special ed and am amazed at times with what my former students accomplish as they grow up. When they are young it's hard to see in the crystal ball. Congrats to both of you! I'm sure you were a huge part of her success!

As for the 4 years in college, DD's goal is to finish in 4 years. Whether or not that happens is unknown. If she sticks with her major and takes relevant courses, it is doable. She has to complete 15 hours a semester to keep her scholarship, so she can't drop any classes. It took me 5 years for my undergrad because I changed my major, but back then there weren't AP classes and dual-enrollment classes to get a head start on credits. If there were opportunities like this, I wasn't a part of them. I studied abroad for the last semester of my senior year, but that wasn't why it took me longer. I can see with some majors how studying abroad could impact how long it takes to graduate. DD is majoring in Biology/pre-med which is a very long competitive road. She may decide at some point that it's not the road for her. I keep telling her to have a plan B in case med school doesn't work out. A degree in Biology itself is pretty useless. DD doesn't have a plan B though! She is head-strong on this major. I have to back up and let her do her thing.

This may sound like a dumb question, but how do the students know what textbooks to buy? Does each professor have a link with the info that can be accessed before school starts? What about classes that are taught by a grad student and/or it just says "staff" instead of an instructor's name when the student registers for classes? I would like to order books by the end of this month. DD has no idea regarding this process. I did some comparative shopping on a Biology textbook rental and chegg.com seemed to have the best prices or at least the best prices and fastest shipping when considering both pieces. Some books have online codes that come with the book that the students may need acess to which they wouldn't get if renting, right? How would one know this before renting a book? Maybe someone who has done this with an older child can chime in. I realize the process may be different at each school. Once DD and I figure out this process she can order books on her own.

IDoDis, the place I check out book prices is dealoz.com. You type in the ISBN number and it shops different online places for you. My DS wants to keep the books for his majors (accounting and economics) so those I buy either new or very good condition. The rest are used and re-sold back to the college bookstore and I've even made a profit! Some colleges want to see that you purchased the book there before you sell it back.

His colleges (FT and 3 different ones for extra summer classes) all list the required books on their websites. If you look at the registration page that lists all classes, find the exact section of the class, and there is usually a link to the textbook. Or you can go on the college bookstore website and you can find the textbook there by searching for the section. I like to have the textbooks early and be done. For DS's summer class, they changed the professor AND the textbook so he had to exchange it.

My DS would just buy them all new at the college, but some gently used can be half price and it is my money. Some textbooks are made just for his professors and must be purchased from the college. He's had several textbooks that are used for 2 classes (stats 1 and 2, intermediate accounting 1 and 2, and business law 1 and 2) so rental could be more expensive for 2 semesters.

As far as the on-line codes, we've had to purchase new to get the codes, only to find out half the time the professors really don't use it, and then it's too late to return the book and get used, since once it's opened the bookstore won't return it. He got stuck with $ 160 marketing textbook with loose-leaf pages that the bookstore wouldn't buy back and he didn't use the code. Be aware of loose leaf textbooks if you want to sell back.

Hope this helps.

Hi everyone.

When we went to orientation, we were told that some textbooks are like E-books. I think that would be great if my son can get a couple of those for his classes. Less stuff to carry around.

He was able to make a schedule where he has nothing after 12:30. He is taking 15 credits. I think the only thing he will have in the afternoon one day a week is his ROTC lab. Since he has to get up early for the cadet program anyway, he figured that he would knock out all of his classes in the morning.

Now I am going to work on the list of things he needs to take to his dorm. We already have the plane tickets and hotel reservations for the new family weekend in October. This will be a huge adjustment for my husband and me. Our house will be empty. I am happy and excited for my son. He has already started the application for a summer program to Israel.

IDoDis, the place I check out book prices is dealoz.com. You type in the ISBN number and it shops different online places for you. My DS wants to keep the books for his majors (accounting and economics) so those I buy either new or very good condition. The rest are used and re-sold back to the college bookstore and I've even made a profit! Some colleges want to see that you purchased the book there before you sell it back. His colleges (FT and 3 different ones for extra summer classes) all list the required books on their websites. If you look at the registration page that lists all classes, find the exact section of the class, and there is usually a link to the textbook. Or you can go on the college bookstore website and you can find the textbook there by searching for the section. I like to have the textbooks early and be done. For DS's summer class, they changed the professor AND the textbook so he had to exchange it. My DS would just buy them all new at the college, but some gently used can be half price and it is my money. Some textbooks are made just for his professors and must be purchased from the college. He's had several textbooks that are used for 2 classes (stats 1 and 2, intermediate accounting 1 and 2, and business law 1 and 2) so rental could be more expensive for 2 semesters. As far as the on-line codes, we've had to purchase new to get the codes, only to find out half the time the professors really don't use it, and then it's too late to return the book and get used, since once it's opened the bookstore won't return it. He got stuck with $ 160 marketing textbook with loose-leaf pages that the bookstore wouldn't buy back and he didn't use the code. Be aware of loose leaf textbooks if you want to sell back. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info! It is really helpful. I never thought to look at the bookstore web page which I just did and now see the process for finding out which books/clickers/ebooks will be needed. The books for fall aren't listed yet since the sumner sessions are going on, but at least now I have a clue! Things have sure changed a lot since I went to college with registration and buying books.

I have to say that I had one of those dreams a couple of nights ago where I had to take a final in a college class but had not gone to class most of the semester and had not done any of the assignments. I was so relieved when I woke up and realized it was just a dream. I haven't had a dream like that in a LONG time! I must be already stressing for DD! LOL

He was able to make a schedule where he has nothing after 12:30. He is taking 15 credits. I think the only thing he will have in the afternoon one day a week is his ROTC lab. Since he has to get up early for the cadet program anyway, he figured that he would knock out all of his classes in the morning.

Good thinking on his part!

When we were at the Honors breakfast thingy at the new student conference, the director had what I thought was some some really, really good advice. He asked the kids, "What time do your folks get up to go to work?" The answers were all like 6am, 7am, etc. Then he asked what time they got home, and the replies averaged around 5-6pm. The director said, "If you treat this as your job from now on... get up and study or other school stuff at the same time each day, study between classes and in whatever extra time you have, then cut it all off at roughly dinnertime... you can very easily have your weekends free and to yourself." You could see the lightbulbs going off over all the kids' heads. I just thought it was a really smart approach, and wish I had treated my days that way when I was in college!

Okay, here's probably a dumb question... For those of y'all with kids going into suite-type residence halls where they are responsible for their own cleaning and such, how are you going to handle cleaning supplies, toilet paper, etc.? Send them with a small supply (since there's practically no storage) and then let them figure out a replenish schedule between themselves? Of all the things going on, this is the one that has me stymied, lol. :rolleyes:

I have to say that I had one of those dreams a couple of nights ago where I had to take a final in a college class but had not gone to class most of the semester and had not done any of the assignments. I was so relieved when I woke up and realized it was just a dream. I haven't had a dream like that in a LONG time! I must be already stressing for DD! LOL

Okay, that is too funny!! That totally sounds like something that my silly brain would dream, lol. :joker:

For textbook codes, they can be available directly from the publisher. Just go to the publisher's website, choose the text (use the ISBN) and search. The ancillary materials should come up, and many publishers will sell direct.

Be sure and buy the exact ISBN and not "international" editions. They can be cheaper, but often the problem sets, etc are in different order. This can cause problems with homework and tests.

Almost done buying dorm items! Having a boy going off to college is a lot different than 2 years ago with DD. He could careless about decor! LOL :) He at least gave me a color scheme to work with!

We have started looking for books at all the various places... we will be either buying or renting later in July.. All the reading books have been bought for both kids (most of them are books we could buy on amazon, ebay or half price books really cheap).

I also started an inventory list & DD updated her inventory list for our renter insurance on both kids' dorm items. (it's added to our home owners). The list is stored at home.

We have bought DS18 a fridge, microwave, printer, tv for his side of the room and he can share w/ his roommate if they decide to do so... He is living in a suite style dorm and they have a community fridge but I like the option of him having one in his area so if there are issues we don't have to worry about someone destroying his items. He is willing to share so that is NOT an issue..

He will find his roommate out on 7/15.

I don't seem to be having much anxiety yet about DS18 moving off to campus but I think it helps tremendously that he and DD are going to the same school. She is an RA down there and he knows several kids already there; yet he is the only one from his graduating class.

As for cleaning supplies.. I buy the first round of everything when we move in... and DD gave him a dorm cleaning schedule that she works with.. cleans right before bed every night...so it's not an all day cleaning frenzy on weekends.. Once those supplies are gone he will have to buy his own unless I am down there for a visit and they I will resupply...

ETA: DS18 is done with classes by noon every day. His sister gave him the same advice some of you have heard.. treat it like a job.. get your classes done; homework done by 5-6pm and the rest of the evening and weekends are free for you to do what you would like to do... They even have 2 days a week scheduled to study together at the library.

We are excited to go see the kids in October for parent's weekend but DD will have to see if she is on duty that weekend or not... either way we will go down and we just may have to do dinner in the dorm with her..

Almost done buying dorm items! Having a boy going off to college is a lot different than 2 years ago with DD. He could careless about decor! LOL :) He at least gave me a color scheme to work with!

You got a color scheme? That's more than I got! :lmao: I'm betting it will be an entirely different experience getting my daughter ready when she goes! We'll probably have to rent a U-Haul just to get her stuff there. I had space left over in the mini-van when my son left! :rotfl:

Yes, we discussed a color scheme.. I thought I knew the colors he wanted and I was right! :)

When we moved DD down to school 2 years ago.. we only had room for us in our seats of the mini van.. stuff under everyone's feet but the driver! :faint: Our neighbors were outside laughing as we continued to stuff the van to capacity!

DD will move down on her own and anything she can't bring with her will go down with us on 8/21. She has to be back on campus by 8/8 for training and prepping for the kids to start moving in. She has managed to drop her return items in half.. and we take stuff down at seasons and bring things home... So she can fill her car and have her stuff..

DS laughs and says he is only bring the bare necessities.. we shall see..

However, we have decided since they are at the same school we are just going to rent a storage unit the next 2 summers so they can bring the bare minimum home for the summer.. DD really only ever unpacks her clothes/laptop the rest stays boxed up ready for return..

It's coming whether we are ready or not....MOVE IN DAY! My ds likes to give me his countdown number. We are still waiting for his housing assignment and roommate information. Move in day is in 5 weeks - August 21.

Guess it's time to start shopping....lol

DS received his housing assignment yesterday. We knew what dorm he had been placed from the tuition, etc bill. He now has contact information from his roomates and friended 2 of them on facebook already. We did start packing - not much at all - and have started a list of needs, etc. One book is rented and the summer reading one purchased. Now off to check out dealoz.com!
Lori

Yesterday DD's dorm had an event where the students who showed up were able to choose their dorm rooms. Her roommate is in Michigan for the summer, so I went with DD to the event. There were lots of great door prizes, pizza, ice cream, and drinks to keep everyone busy while they waited until it was their turn to go with an RA to select a room. I guess that the students who could attend got an unfair advantage over the ones from out of town who could not attend.

Out of the 4 buildings for this dorm, DD chose the one that has the "quiet hall." No one else at the event selected that area! When looking at the floor maps, some students commented on how they did not want to be in the quiet hall, but my DD was the opposite. She chose a top floor room to eliminate above noise, and a room at the end of the hall so no one is on one side of them. She says she can always go to the common areas or other peoples rooms for fun and then come back to the quiet area. She is the closest building to the dining hall and the parking garage. We also found out that the dining hall is going to have a Keva Juice station. Th dining is open 24/7 with unlimited meals. Can we say hello freshmen 15?

Move-in dates are Aug 9th and 10th. We are not sure which day DD will be assigned yet. I'm glad it's on a weekend and not a weekday so that I don't have to miss work right when my own students are coming back to school. Parking passes go on sale in less than 2 weeks to the tune of $400! Yikes!

When we took a dorm tour back in January, the RA told us the beds were twin xl, but yesterday we found out that was incorrect, or we were confused because some of the dorms on campus do have twin xl beds. So now I have to return the bedding set and mattress cover and hope I can find a regular twin in the same design since I already bought some coordinated accessories. Someone mentioned about buying toilet paper and such for shared bathroom suites. I think what we'll try is having each person buy a large supply from Costco/Sam's Club when it's their turn if everyone else is agreeable to that. If they don't have access to a membership, I can pick it up for them. I'm not sure yet how to work out who buys other stuff like a shower curtain, bath rug, toilet bowl brush, plunger, cleaning supplies (if these would even get used), etc... A friend of mine whose DD recently finished her freshman year recommended getting a lockbox to keep certain things in that you don't want to get "lost."

IDoDis, that sounds like a fun way to choose a dorm room. That's good that your daughter wanted the quiet hall. Her move-in date is so much earlier than my son's. My son isn't able to move in until August 20th.

I've almost got everything he needs. I just need to pick up a printer and an alarm clock. I think that's it.

IDoDis, that sounds like a fun way to choose a dorm room. That's good that your daughter wanted the quiet hall. Her move-in date is so much earlier than my son's. My son isn't able to move in until August 20th. I've almost got everything he needs. I just need to pick up a printer and an alarm clock. I think that's it.

Wow, you are on the ball with over a month until move-in! I wish I could say the same. We are getting there though, slowly, but surely. I asked DD if she wants an alarm clock, but she said no, she'll just use her phone alarm which is what she's done the last several years.However, senior year I had to get her up sometimes because she kept putting her alarm on snooze a couple of times and would fall back asleep. I attributed that behavior to Senioritis. Also, she had a 6:30am class which she won't have this year, so waking up should not be an issue. Her classes all start at either 8:00am and 9:00am depending on the day.

Maybe we could all take dorm pics on move-in day and post them here via photobucket or something similar. I'd enjoy seeing the rooms.

Maybe we could all take dorm pics on move-in day and post them here via photobucket or something similar. I'd enjoy seeing the rooms.

I think that's a great idea! I would love to see all the different dorms and rooms! I'll definitely do that.

I found a completely awesome A&M shower curtain and a perfect maroon bath rug, so I went ahead and got those as my contribution to the suite. The mattress topper my mom ordered DS came in, and I've been collecting things like Easy Mac and ramen noodle bowls for the week and a half he'll be there before the cafeteria opens... And he ordered himself a good new backpack with some of his grad money, which came in the other day. We just need a few basic school supplies, and we're all set for move-in on the 21st.

I haven't seen much of DS lately! He just got back from a week in Florida with his new roommate and another friend, and he takes off for California at the end of the month to spend some surfing and hang-out time with his uncle.

Okay, I know y'all will understand this... I am so glad he was able to go to Florida and do this trip before he hits the ground running in school next month, but holy cow it hit me harder than I thought it would to see pics of him standing in all our favorite places at WDW -- without me. :sad1: The pic of him in front of Mission:Space was like a dagger in my heart!! Isn't that stupid? I didn't think it would be so emotional for me, but it sure was. It did make me feel a lot better, though, when he told me that it did feel really weird to him for me to not be there. :goodvibes

For anyone still needing bedding, Target has all their college bedding on sale right now. Comforters starting at $16! That's where I got DS his black/grey reversible one, and it's really soft and fluffy.

Gina - my ds chose to stay with his grandparents instead of go on our beach vacation. I was in tears leaving him at home for only a week. :(

Idodis-Love that she got to pick her room. Ds thought that was really cool.

Thanks for the tip about Target - looks like I need to start the shopping I have been avoiding.

The roommate info finally arrived today! Now we play the who contacts who first. I can't believe this is really happening. I've been avoiding thinking about it for so long and he leaves in less than 5 weeks!:sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter