Palmetto running around room cannot find it now and front desk won’t help.

Lisa75

DIS Veteran
I hate the title. Over a decade I have seen similar threads and convinced myself for self preservation it was made up or exaggerated because it’s my worst fear.

At Kidani. Had to move once already due to their outside person could fix disposal. In a one bedroom with my young son who has a broken foot and wheelchair. Saw it this morning on wall of laundry room. By the time we tried ourselves we failed. Called housekeeping asking for help. No. They will put in a work order for their offsite pest company.

Tried again to get him ourselves and failed. Went to front desk. No help. Housekeeping not there yet. I speak a lbot more audibly about the problem enough for others to hear at that point the CM started making phone calls.

No help. Back to room and we could not find him then. We drove to the park. We did not want to be in room and I know others could have handled differently.

In park and as you all know cannot call front desk. Called dvc as I am the owner and staying on my points. Told me go tot hotel manager. Emailed member satisfaction

Supposed to be here until Friday then Universal PBR then back to riviera studio for a week Sunday.

I know it’s Florida so please give me the grace of not explaining that. 15 years on property and never had a bug in room. Cm said oh I’m surprised.

Everything seems to be third party outside contractor these days. Akl is declining a bit.

So any advice? I know it’s Florida but. How do I get help today. Would you all stay or move. And is this probably an infestation and they want in our bags or no? I don’t want to take one with me. We built our house 22 years ago and get preventatively treated every other month and have never had a bug in our house outside of a house fly at times.

Sorry for the typos I’m in sunny hot park pushing an elementary schooler who’s taller then me in a wheelchair. DH is at home 15 hours away to boo.

You really need to move/leave. You will never relax.
See if you can go to Universal early.
That bug will never be caught/found because there is not just one.
It is IMPORTANT to you, I get it. You are not use to them.
Not to freck you out but there are ALWAYS bugs in your room in florida.
I have Lived here all my life. Bugs don't like rain or heat. They are smart enough to get inside.

Where ever you are from, you have things that would be disturbing to us .
I don't understand snow, bears, snakes, earthquakes.

So, first off, the large roaches are usually not an indication of an infestation. They won't go home with you amd invade your house. Those would be the small German cockroaches. If you were seeing them in large numbers in the kitchen, I'd be concerned about an infestation.

That said, I could not relax either. I hate bugs. I'd need to be moved. Ask for another room at AKL or find another DVC property with vacancy.

You saw a cockroach? Singular? I would expect Disney to behave exactly as they did. They aren’t paying anyone to hunt a cockroach in a suite. They’ve put in the work order, someone will probably spray your room today while you’re out. If you cannot handle that as the solution you can request another room but be ready to be told no if they are full. Then you will have to decide if it is worth buying a second room for the next couple nights elsewhere.

When I had a small scorpion in my hotel in AZ I was paranoid of bringing one home. (I killed it in the room as soon as I saw it but I didn’t know if there were others.) I took everything for my suitcase on packing day and piled it on my bed. I made sure my suitcase was clear. Then I shook out/looked at every item going into the suitcase to make sure I had no hitchhikers. So, you could do that if worried.

. Ask for another room at AKL or find another DVC property with vacancy.
Oh, do DVC points bookings let you cancel mid-stay and get refunded the unused nights?

ETA- definitely not. Points are forfeited. But cool that they can move you to another resort

Last edited:
Oh, do DVC points bookings let you cancel mid-stay and get refunded the unused nights?
LOL, that's funny. And for a bug in Florida? Of course not.

I think DVC service in general is terrible, but I'm not sure what you want them to do. Send someone to pretend to get one roach?

I get I sound silly to some. But we have relatives in Bradenton friends in Clermont and parents in the Carolinas. I know they exist. I also know the efforts that can be made to keep them out or cause their death fairly quickly after entry.

I get I sound silly to some. But we have relatives in Bradenton friends in Clermont and parents in the Carolinas. I know they exist. I also know the efforts that can be made to keep them out or cause their death fairly quickly after entry.
It’s not silly, but really it’s a bit unfounded. Palmetto bugs( giant flying roaches) are outside bugs. They wander in through cracks or spaces around pipes. They are horrible, yes, but they will not infest your food or luggage, nor will you bring one home. There is just the one and he wants to get out, which is why he is hiding. I hate them too, but I live in Florida and they are a part of life.

I had a very unfortunate encounter with one in a bathing suit that scarred me. That was at my home. I understand the need to get him out.

This happened to me at a small hotel in Miami Beach. Was traveling for work, got back to my room super late after a long day, saw this little critter disappear under my bed and COMPLETELY FREAKED OUT. I went down to the front desk and politely asked if they wouldn’t mind having someone come take a look/kill it for me, and they were able to put me in a different room entirely for my peace of mind.

You are absolutely within your right to ask to move rooms and they should be more than happy to oblige. It’s not ridiculous to be freaked out and it’s not ridiculous to request to move rooms!

As others have said one palmetto bug is not indicative of an infestation, he probably just wandered in. Sounds like you have a severe bug phobia (my oldest DD does too so I understand how that can be). In that case you will not feel “safe” until he’s caught or you’re in a different room. Id tell the front desk that and let them know that you will be continually bothering them about it until they catch it or move you.

Thanks all. They called me in the park. We’re moving they were very kind and accommodating. Thank you all I value all of the feedback from every single person.

I do to the last person have severe phobia. I get it from my mom. My parents moved to Carolina there were similar bugs in their Florida room the first night. My father was recovering. From a stroke. They met the exterminator the next day my dad told him she can’t see these again. About my mom. He said if she does she’ll move and I don’t want to move again right now I’m recovering from a stroke. They did some structural things as well as some chemical things. Been lucky about 7 years so far. I get I’ve been lucky at Disney.

Thanks all. They called me in the park. We’re moving they were very kind and accommodating. Thank you all I value all of the feedback from every single person.

I do to the last person have severe phobia. I get it from my mom. My parents moved to Carolina there were similar bugs in their Florida room the first night. My father was recovering. From a stroke. They met the exterminator the next day my dad told him she can’t see these again. About my mom. He said if she does she’ll move and I don’t want to move again right now I’m recovering from a stroke. They did some structural things as well as some chemical things. Been lucky about 7 years so far. I get I’ve been lucky at Disney.
I'm glad they were able to accommodate you. Disney service isn't as "magical" as it was 10 or 20 years ago, but in general they want you to be happy and they do their best to grant any reasonable request. At least in my experience. Obviously there are horror stories but they are by far the exception IMO.

My wife would have the exact same reaction as you. We wouldn't expect the staff to hunt the bug, but if I couldn't find the bug and get rid of it, she'd want to move. She knows it's not completely logical, but sometimes what your brain knows can't change how you react to something.

LOL. At OKW right now and have one of the tiny lizards in the room. He ran behind the sofa to hide when I came into the living area this morning. It is what it is.

For future stays, request a high floor and keep all doors closed as much as possible. Wildlife will get in, accidentally or otherwise. Bugs and lizards aren't a big deal, IMO, but there's no way I want to share space with the snake that was crossing the pathway when we came back to the room last night.

I 100%, completely understand and sympathize. I have 3 phobias, and this is 1 of them. NO other bugs bother me at all, not spiders, wasps, or even snakes or lizards, but 'palmetto' bugs, ugh. and i grew up in deep south Louisiana, and on average, saw one every day. The huge ones that fly on you, even after hitting them with a swatter. They just laughed at Raid.
Been going to WDW fairly regularly since 2000, and DVC since 2011, and all that time maybe saw 2 or 3. This past June, saw 5 on our trip, and I was freaked. 2 at Universal, and 3 at WDW, 1 in the GotG queue inside, 1 running along the middle walkway in Epcot, and 1 at the BWV boat dock.
I'm so glad they could move y'all/accommodate y'all, and hope everything else goes well and bug free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter