Paint the Night Parade and Disneyland Forever Fireworks Strategy

Ok thanks! I figured the CMs would be on to that. I think my group decided we need to just suck it up and wait. Not worth the risk to mis-time our exit or get ushered out because we are obviously loitering.

I think there was enough room on Main Street that you could have arrived a couple minutes later and stepped into the area. You would just be along the sides of street instead of in the middle though. If you do that, try for the right side (while looking at the castle) because the higher-up fireworks were to the left of the castle. One thing about this show though is that if you are further back on Main Street you will spend less time watching the fireworks and more time looking at the buildings to see the projections. For that reason, I do want to try watching the show from the hub one time.

Was it pretty easy to grab a spot for the 2nd showing of the parade, or was there a rush to the curb? Also, I'm imagining a huge crowd of people trying to leave too so were you being pushed, stepped over etc...?

Yes, as people were leaving the fireworks, it was easy to walk over and just sit down at the curb. The area we were in (in front of the Candy Store) took about 5-10 minutes for the curbs to get full and then people started to fill in behind. At about 10 minutes before the parade, they came around and asked the people in the back to stand up so other people could have easily slid in there right before the parade (behind the second row). The second parade wasn't nearly as crowded as the first so if you don't mind staying up that late, definitely wait for the second one. Also, the second one comes from Town Square and heads towards Small World so if you are near the train station it is an easy exit after the parade. We went back to ride Indy but we still had a good jump on the other parade watchers that were still at the hub, etc.

There was a constant stream of people leaving the park at that time but not so bad that they were stepping on our feet. We did have people try to step up on the curb between us to get to the stores (rather than walk a little further to the walkway) but that stopped once they put the ropes back up behind us.

We kept ourselves entertained by counting how many people had on the new Disney Vans (Vans is going to make a killing on those shoes, LOL) ;)

I think there was enough room on Main Street that you could have arrived a couple minutes later and stepped into the area. You would just be along the sides of street instead of in the middle though. If you do that, try for the right side (while looking at the castle) because the higher-up fireworks were to the left of the castle. One thing about this show though is that if you are further back on Main Street you will spend less time watching the fireworks and more time looking at the buildings to see the projections. For that reason, I do want to try watching the show from the hub one time.

Yes, as people were leaving the fireworks, it was easy to walk over and just sit down at the curb. The area we were in (in front of the Candy Store) took about 5-10 minutes for the curbs to get full and then people started to fill in behind. At about 10 minutes before the parade, they came around and asked the people in the back to stand up so other people could have easily slid in there right before the parade (behind the second row). The second parade wasn't nearly as crowded as the first so if you don't mind staying up that late, definitely wait for the second one. Also, the second one comes from Town Square and heads towards Small World so if you are near the train station it is an easy exit after the parade. We went back to ride Indy but we still had a good jump on the other parade watchers that were still at the hub, etc.

There was a constant stream of people leaving the park at that time but not so bad that they were stepping on our feet. We did have people try to step up on the curb between us to get to the stores (rather than walk a little further to the walkway) but that stopped once they put the ropes back up behind us.

We kept ourselves entertained by counting how many people had on the new Disney Vans (Vans is going to make a killing on those shoes, LOL) ;)

Great info.!! Thank you, I think we will try this strategy in July when we go!

Thank you. Hopefully the fire station area will work. Hope you're enjoying your trip!
Last night we watched fireworks from F! area and then took our time walking over to Main St. We found a curbside spot for the 11pm parade in front of Emporium, just before Town Sq. At around 10:15pm. We were facing the Magic shop and I noticed that about 15min before it started they roped off the street there from the corner to Town Sq, so once roped off, people could sit just in front of the rope on the street, like what I mentioned about them roping off in front of the fire station.
Tonight we took a chance and took the train, got off at Main St Station around 8:35pm. It was packed, but I noticed there were some curb spots in front of people on benches, so I asked a CM if it was OK to sit there and they said yes if the guests on benches didn't mind. We totally lucked out and asked a nice looking couple and they said sure! We had great curbside seats facing the train station!
It was a bit frantic finding a spot to watch the fireworks afterwards, but we just joined the masses of people on Main St. I had to hold my son up the whole time so he could see, but he really enjoyed the projections on the buildings (much better than the ones on the water screens over at F!). We couldn't really see the castle but that was fine, since our location made it easy to exit the park afterwards. We were so lucky to see both the parade and the fireworks twice on this trip with very little stress!
Good luck tomorrow!

Now the question is, "Why does it snow during the fireworks?" It's not Christmas themed, right? Or is it another Frozen nod?

Have there been any nights yet where Deluxe season passes have been blacked out yet since the new shows? We will be in DL June 23 - June 28 and wonder if we should wait until Saturday June 27 to attempt to see these shows, as maybe we won't have to get a spot so early in the evening?

Thoughts?

Unofficial poll - if you had to choose only one view for the fireworks - Matterhorn and Castle OR Mainstreet Projections and Castle, which would people choose? I'm trying to plan my seating and I'm leaning toward the Northeast corner of the hub and missing the projections.

Last edited:
We saw F! and the fireworks show from the green FP section on the left side of POC bridge (opposite side of the Tree house). We were as far over to the left as we could be with only about 3 people between us and the light pole that the rope is tied to to end that viewing section. It was a great view of the show. DD is 48 or 49 in tall and was able to see the show. For a couple parts she stood on the bottom of the railing to get a little higher but mostly kept her feet on the ground. We were right up against the railing so only the closer viewing sections were in front of us but we were elevated enough that is adults had no obstructed view at all.

We stayed and watched the fireworks after the show and it was better than I expected as a spot to see them. We had a great view of the water screen and could see all the fireworks, though some of the lower ones by the castle were a little obstructed. We are supposed to see the fireworks on Thursday with some local family so if I get a spot on main street I can compare and see what the difference is.

I would guess that Main Street is still a better place to see the fireworks but I wasn't disappointed by our spot at all.

We also stayed and saw the parade at 11:00. We were in the icecream shop on Mainstreet and were allowed to stand just outside the doorway for the parade. We didn't scope out any spots at all. The CMs were not on the same page though as one told us we couldn't stand there but a 2nd had recommended that we stay right there. She ended up staying close and we weren't bothered again by any other CMs. I put DD on my shoulders but since I was back by a wall I wasn't blocking anyone else's view otherwise I wouldn't have done that.

The place to look for if you want a late spot is by the ice cream and candy shop on Mainstreet. There is some space next to the door way that's perfect for one or two people to stand completely out of the way of people walking by or trying to get in or out of the store. The CMs that didn't want me to stand there were ok with people standing in the doorway of the shop as long as they were behind the line in the doorway haha. But those people were blocking the entrance/ exit so it made no sense and the CM who let us stay where we were agreed our spot was out of the way and the others should have to move of anyone had to.

Unofficial poll - if you had to choose only one view for the fireworks - Matterhorn and Castle OR Mainstreet Projections and Castle, which would people choose? I'm trying to plan my seating and I'm leaning toward the Northeast corner of the hub and missing the projections.

Having seen the show from both, I'd say Matterhorn and Castle. The parts of the show involving the Matterhorn are awesome, and while the same effects are used on other surfaces, it doesn't have the same "WOW" factor as it does seeing it on the mountain. I actually got a decent spot a few weeks ago by following the parade. I was a bit towards the center of the hub, to the right of the castle with a perfect view of the Matterhorn. The partners statue was about 25 feet to my left as I looked at the castle. Wonderful spot.

I wonder what the crowds are like on Saturdays when ALL APs (except Premieres) are blocked. On the anniversary weekend, Friday is blocked as well.

I'll be there on the anniversary weekend, but have the PP.

We stumbled on a fairly good strategy for the fireworks last weekend. Friday night we were able to watch Paint the Night from a spot near Small World - we could actually sit on a wall across from the ride and stand on it during the parade for an awesome view. The down side was that this was not the best view for the fireworks. The projections were on Small World and we could see some of the Matterhorn, but the Main Street hoopla was behind us.

So on Saturday night we were determined to get a good view of the fireworks from Main Street. The plus was that we didn't need to see the parade again because we had had such a good view the night before, so we shopped in the stores of Main Street during the parade. We could hear the music, enjoy a snack, and stay cool while shopping around. Then as soon as the parade passed, the cm's moved the ropes and we headed to the middle of Main Street. It was perfect - there were plenty of people around us, but we only had to stand there for 10 minutes until the fireworks started and the view was perfect. IMHO it was a great show from Small World but it was an AMAZING show from Main Street. If you can only see it once, I strongly recommend the Main Street view. And if you don't have hours to wait scoping out a spot, skip the parade and head into the street right when it's over. Worked for us!

It was packed, but I noticed there were some curb spots in front of people on benches, so I asked a CM if it was OK to sit there and they said yes if the guests on benches didn't mind. We totally lucked out and asked a nice looking couple and they said sure! We had great curbside seats facing the train station!

I would think that the CMs shouldn't be leaving this decision up to the guests on the benches to decide if it's okay. What if the people sitting on the benches are jerks and say no? Is it really their right to be able to prevent people from sitting in good spots in front of them? I guess I don't understand this.

Any reports from the last week? When is Main Street curbside getting full for the parade? Going to be going this Friday.

I would think that the CMs shouldn't be leaving this decision up to the guests on the benches to decide if it's okay. What if the people sitting on the benches are jerks and say no? Is it really their right to be able to prevent people from sitting in good spots in front of them? I guess I don't understand this.
To be fair, it looked like some benches were really close to the curb so the people sitting there almost had their feeling dangling over the curb. I just looked for spots with the most space between bench and curb. I do think we got really lucky. Also, it was just me (I'm only 5'2") and DS7 so we didn't take up too much space.

This is good to see that others don't think its right to try and save a spot for hours for 15 people by putting down blankets. I though it was just me?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter