Paint the Night Parade and Disneyland Forever Fireworks Strategy

This would work. You will need to move quickly to get a spot on MS as soon as the last parade float passes. They encourage everyone to move into the street as soon as the parade ends.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who attempts this.

The best thing to do is to treat a long wait for the show as a picnic on the street.
Keep in mind that you only need one person to hold a spot. Most guests do this and then switch off every hour or so. It makes the wait less of an issue.
Plus some guests seem to be quite tired by 5pm and would rather relax anyways. Why not sit, relax and hold a spot instead.

Based on what I have seen for the parade.
You can get a pretty good seating spot between 5pm-6pm. Prime spots will start to go once the Soundsational Parade passes.
6pm-7pm. You can probably get a good seating spot until they tell you to stand.
7pm- On.... You will probably be standing behind someone.

Last edited:
I saw Fantasmic last night and then the fireworks. After the fireworks fiasco on Sunday night, when CMs herded us deep into Tomorrowland from Town Square after the PTN parade and we couldn't stop until by Finding Nemo to see the fireworks, this was heavenly! I don't know if the projections are the same at IASW and on Main Street, but the water screen projections with the fireworks were phenomenal. Like someone else posted, I also teared up at the end - wow. My first time seeing Fantasmic, followed by those fireworks - incredible!

It seemed like the best locations for both Fantasmic and fireworks viewing were either center or left (toward Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain). For people on the right, with their backs to Frontierland during Fantasmic, they wouldn't have been able to see both sets of fireworks (they go off in two locations simultaneously) and the water screen.

I agree with a prior poster, I would love to be able to get a fast pass, or a dining option, or any way of getting some kind of reserved seating for PTN and fireworks. What is currently going in is straight up insanity. Someone is going to get trampled, or otherwise seriously injured. This is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

I agree with a prior poster, I would love to be able to get a fast pass, or a dining option, or any way of getting some kind of reserved seating for PTN and fireworks. What is currently going in is straight up insanity. Someone is going to get trampled, or otherwise seriously injured. This is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

Agreed. The hardest part is that it's pretty dark, and I saw many people tripping over strollers more than anything because it's hard to see the stroller legs and wheels sticking out.

I'm sure all you that are wishing for FP+ will get your wish soon enough. Until then, I'm so happy it not a reality at DLR yet. We will plan on seeing the 11pm parade and miss most of this madness.

APs will be blocked soon and the crowds for the first parade will subside a bit. I think you have a lot of locals in that mix right now.

I'm not wishing for FP+. I really don't even understand how that works. I just wish Disneyland would fix the dangerous situation they created with the way they are mishandling crowd control. If you want to experience the fireworks the way they were intended to be experienced, you really need to view from Main Street. Main Street is not large enough to accommodate an entire park full of people. They should have thought that through and come up with a different plan. Have projections in a couple of other places just wasn't enough. Especially when you consider that the projections do not always work. The projections are not an immersive experience like I can only imagine it would be on Main Street.

I'm sure all you that are wishing for FP+ will get your wish soon enough. Until then, I'm so happy it not a reality at DLR yet. We will plan on seeing the 11pm parade and miss most of this madness.

APs will be blocked soon and the crowds for the first parade will subside a bit. I think you have a lot of locals in that mix right now.
I had forgotten about the AP's being blocked. I really hope this helps limit the crowds for the shows!

I disagree that it is not an immersive experience if you are not on Main Street. Where we were at It's A Small World, there was snow during the Frozen sequence just like the snow making on Main Street. It was really neat. We really loved it from Fantasyland. I'm looking forward to seeing it next time from a different location to see what it's like.

The one night we watched it was from Small World, but the projections weren't working. There was a lot of time where we knew something should be happening, but nothing was. It was quite disappointing. I just don't see how watching on a flat screen would compare to having the projections all around you. But, then, I don't really know since I have not really experienced it either way.

If we watch the first showing of Fantasmic, then watch the fireworks from there (which I'm guessing end around 9:45) what are our chances of getting a spot on Main Street to see the 2nd showing of the parade? And which way will we be herded in order to get from Fantasmic to Main Street.

I disagree that it is not an immersive experience if you are not on Main Street. Where we were at It's A Small World, there was snow during the Frozen sequence just like the snow making on Main Street. It was really neat. We really loved it from Fantasyland. I'm looking forward to seeing it next time from a different location to see what it's like.

This only applies if the projections are working on IASW. When they're not without ANY advance notice it's a real big bummer when you've planned your day around it.

Does anyone think it will still be this crazy in October? If it were just me, I wouldn't mind, but I don't want to deal with herd mentality and short-sighted CMs while pushing a toddler in a stroller. The second fireworks show is not an option - at least for planning!

If we watch the first showing of Fantasmic, then watch the fireworks from there (which I'm guessing end around 9:45) what are our chances of getting a spot on Main Street to see the 2nd showing of the parade? And which way will we be herded in order to get from Fantasmic to Main Street.

Head to Small World instead of Main Street for the 2nd show of PTN.

Does anyone think it will still be this crazy in October? If it were just me, I wouldn't mind, but I don't want to deal with herd mentality and short-sighted CMs while pushing a toddler in a stroller. The second fireworks show is not an option - at least for planning!
There is no second fireworks show, just a second PTN parade.

Wow I hope it is not this crazy in October....We were hoping to see Fantasmic/ptn parade and the fireworks in the same night...And wanted to get a spot down main street...

About how far ahead of the 8:50 PtN are they telling people to stand and fill in space?

We have a group of 4 and are thinking 2 people camp, and 2 people go enjoy the park. Can someone comment on what time the 2 people in the park should come back by before it gets too difficult to navigate? If we get a spot on Main Street, how difficult will it be for 2 people to get through the crowds and get to our camp site?

I hate to ask the same but slightly different questions....

But what about in front of the castle, between Partners. I understand that Main Street is slammed 4 hours ahead of time. Has the waiting in front of the castle for the FW changed at all with the new show? For reference, you used to be able to get a spot in front of the castle about an hour ahead of time. Is it equally as bad as trying to get a spot on MS?

Even if we miss the MS projections, I feel like waiting 4 hours is not going to be worth it.
That's where I watched it from and I got my spot at 5:30. 4 hour wait was totally worth it IMO :)

Head to Small World instead of Main Street for the 2nd show of PTN.
I understand there are one way traffic patterns after all the shows. What would be the pattern to get from Rivers of America after fireworks to IASW for the 11:00 parade? Would you be able to cross between the hub and the castle or would you be funneled down the Main Street back corridor?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter