Paint the Night Parade and Disneyland Forever Fireworks Strategy

I know they have special meals that come with Fastpasses for the fireworks. Or at least they did. I was thinking of getting the meals to go from Aladdin's Oasis, but am not sure how that will work with the parade. Any suggestions?

I know they have special meals that come with Fastpasses for the fireworks. Or at least they did. I was thinking of getting the meals to go from Aladdin's Oasis, but am not sure how that will work with the parade. Any suggestions?
That is for the Fantasmic show. But I've heard you can stay in your seat after the show and watch the fireworks just like you used to be able to.

This thread scares me... So to see the fireworks from Main Street (or the hub) you have to be in position on MS during the 1st parade; which requires you to stake out a spot at least 3 hrs before the parade?

We are from the east coast and only have so much time to Wait for a parade / fireworks, 3 hrs seems crazy

It's actually 4-5 hours. And the CMs are encouraging this. When we went up to Small World to find a spot we were handed our heads (by a CM) for daring to try to find a spot an hour and a half before the parade.

I can't be the only person who thinks sitting on a curb for 5 hrs is a waste of vacation time, can I be? What if I wandered into the Emporium 30 minutes before the 1st parade -- could I then get a spot on Main Street for the FWs and stay for the 2nd parade?

It's actually 4-5 hours. And the CMs are encouraging this. When we went up to Small World to find a spot we were handed our heads (by a CM) for daring to try to find a spot an hour and a half before the parade.

I'm not waiting that long to see the parade and I pity the CM who tries to "hand me my head" for finding a spot late. He will get an ear full about how stupid and rediculous it is to allow and expect people to line up for that long to see the show.

I can't be the only person who thinks sitting on a curb for 5 hrs is a waste of vacation time, can I be? What if I wandered into the Emporium 30 minutes before the 1st parade -- could I then get a spot on Main Street for the FWs and stay for the 2nd parade?

This would work. You will need to move quickly to get a spot on MS as soon as the last parade float passes. They encourage everyone to move into the street as soon as the parade ends.
The 2nd PTN parade is MUCH easier to get a spot for. You should not have a problem getting a spot 30-60 minutes before that parade.

Yes this should work, just stay in the stores on MS. That's where we went wrong and CMs wouldn't let us get get back to MS for fireworks.

We were at DL yesterday, Monday, 6/8. It was NOT a grad night. We saw Paint The Night parade and the fireworks in front of It's A Small World. I was able to find a spot at about 7:15 pm and at that time, probably 85-90% of the front row spots on the entire parade route were taken. So when I say front row spots, I mean curb-side. Some crazy people on Main Street started to camp out at 5pm, but I don't think that this is necessary.

The parade is really incredible. Seriously. It's totally fabulous. We loved it.

The fireworks made me cry. At one point at the end of the fireworks, there were SO MANY fireworks that it lit up the whole area we were in so it was like daylight. It's A Small World was a great backdrop for the projections. It'll be fun to see the fireworks from other locations, too. We are hoping to return in October.

At several points during the fireworks, we'd be looking at the projections, then right overhead at the fireworks, and then oh look...there's more over the Matterhorn, too! My kids were dancing in the street during the Jungle Book sequence.

Just a word to the wise....at the end of the fireworks, being at the very back of the park, we had to walk all the way through Fantasyland, past BTMRR, past New Orleans Square, through Adventureland in order to get to Main Street. That's how they were herding the crowds. You could NOT turn left to walk to Tomorrowland.

So we decided to go on Haunted Mansion and Pirates Of The Caribbean a couple of times to let the crowds die down. And then when that was done, we stumbled upon a few minutes of the 11pm showing of Fantasmic!

I brought a very lightweight sarong in order to mark our territory. You CANNOT leave blankets unattended. Someone has to stay there with your stuff. So it worked out great for our family because DH took the kids on IASW with a 5 minute wait. And then I took the kids on it a second time. And I cried a couple of times through IASW because I'm a big sap. When we were done going through it the 2nd time around, there were 15 min left before the parade and then it was standing room only and we had to inch our way back to our almost front row spot.

I hate to ask the same but slightly different questions....

But what about in front of the castle, between Partners. I understand that Main Street is slammed 4 hours ahead of time. Has the waiting in front of the castle for the FW changed at all with the new show? For reference, you used to be able to get a spot in front of the castle about an hour ahead of time. Is it equally as bad as trying to get a spot on MS?

Even if we miss the MS projections, I feel like waiting 4 hours is not going to be worth it.

I hate to ask the same but slightly different questions....

But what about in front of the castle, between Partners. I understand that Main Street is slammed 4 hours ahead of time. Has the waiting in front of the castle for the FW changed at all with the new show? For reference, you used to be able to get a spot in front of the castle about an hour ahead of time. Is it equally as bad as trying to get a spot on MS?

Even if we miss the MS projections, I feel like waiting 4 hours is not going to be worth it.

The front of the castle is still filled in early.
Keep in mind that most guests would assume that the front of the castle is the only "best" spot to watch and are not aware of the projections on Main Street.
Main difference now is you can wait 4 1/12 hours in front of the castle and get a nice parade at night that goes by.

Last edited:
I, like VandVsmama, was also at DL yesterday, and lemme tell ya...the way they herd traffic during and after the fireworks is INSANE. We made the mistake of entering Disneyland at 9pm for a Fastpass we had at Indy that ended at 9:50. We were forced to slowly walk allllllll the way into Tomorrowland before making a U-Turn, even though there was a path cutting across The Hub which was completely empty but "one-way only!" A lot of guests just ran for it and ignored the CMs. I don't really blame 'em, but we didn't. By the time we finally got to Indy, it was 9:50. We practically missed our Fastpass!

The front of the castle is still filled in early.
Keep in mind that most guests would assume that the front of the castle is the only "best" spot to watch and are not aware of the projections on Main Street.
Main difference now is you can wait 4 1/12 hours in front of the castle and get a nice parade and night that goes by.

Ok. So. Dang it, lol.

My group was very hopeful that maybe an hour and a half to hour and 45 would be good enough. If we allowed ourselves only up to an hour and 45, what do our options look like for spots?

Starting to think maybe we should do some shopping on main street during the parade....We were planning on watching the late parade anyway.

Ok. So. Dang it, lol.

My group was very hopeful that maybe an hour and a half to hour and 45 would be good enough. If we allowed ourselves only up to an hour and 45, what do our options look like for spots?

Starting to think maybe we should do some shopping on main street during the parade....We were planning on watching the late parade anyway.

I would say you may have a standing view chance over near the Small World area if you wait an hour before the parade to get your spot.

At the risk of being shunned on a DL board -- I wish they had FP+ for the Parade / FWs :earsboy:

This is a time where an 60 day reservation for an attraction would be helpful.

I am 1/2 contreplating adding a 5th day so we can just sit on a curb our 1st day after 5 pm and watch the craziness. I ordered my tickets through Park Savers (4 day PH) -- if we get into DL early enough on day 1 (which was an off-park day), can I upgrade at the gate (and if, do I pay any penalties)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter