• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Packing Perishables in Carry-on...

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
I have a small cooler (the size of a lunch bag) that I want to bring with me in my carry on bag. I have read the hints for how to pack frozen food items in lieu of ice packs so I am planning to freeze some watermelon (high water content) and peas to use as "ice". I plan to bring a small container of cheese slices, a pack of frozen hot dogs and a few hard boiled eggs. I was also thinking about a frozen stick of butter, but I'm not sure if that will work. We are leaving the house about 90 minutes before our flight (we only live 10 minutes away) so I'm thinking the butter would still be frozen when we go through security, but if it has thawed, it would be tossed, right? I might include a package of deli meat too if there is still room. We have a brief layover in Chicago and I figure that there will be somewhere that I could fill a Ziploc bag with ice cubes to replace any of the fruit that has thawed.

Our total travel time from home to MCO will be about 7 hours. My lunch bag is very well insulated because I can come home after 13 hours at work and the ice pack will still be partially frozen. Is there anything else that I need to plan for? This is the first time I have planned to bring perishables though security so I want to make sure that I am not overlooking anything.

How are you getting to the airport?

If by car you could pack the perishables in a cardboard box surrounded by ice packs. Have the air conditioning on at full blast but close the box so you do not have air swirling around the items. . At the airport transfer the perishables, minus the ice packs, to the luggage.

Get through security as fast as you can. For example do not buy breakfast in the main terminal first.

(Leave the box and the ice packs in the car.)

They live 10 mins away, so not an issue.
I would bring the frozen peas or carrots. Bring baggies with you to fill up with ice at the airport. You can dump the water as it melts.
I guess my question is what are you hoping to accomplish? Are youvtryingvto gave something to eat on the plane, or are you trying to bring food to WDW with you?

Good luck OP. My sil has been known to bring frozen meat and Bagels! And I LOVE getting a good NY bagel, lol

My step-mother is always bringing frozen meat on the plane with her! Drives me nuts!!

They live 10 mins away, so not an issue.
I would bring the frozen peas or carrots. Bring baggies with you to fill up with ice at the airport. You can dump the water as it melts.
I guess my question is what are you hoping to accomplish? Are youvtryingvto gave something to eat on the plane, or are you trying to bring food to WDW with you?
Our flight leaves home at 6:30pm so we plan to get to the airport around 5:15 since we have no checked bags. We typically eat dinner between 7-8pm so eating before we leave means we will be hungry again when we land. We have a short connection (70 minutes) at MDW and the plan is to grab McDonald's for dinner which will be around 7:30 (our time...6:30 local). We won't land in Orlando until 11pm and we are staying overnight at the hotel. My plans for the food are two-fold. On one hand, I want to bring my own cheese slices from home where I get a package for $2.50 instead of paying over $7 for it at the resort. Same with the hot dogs. Second, I want to have some lunch meat and fruit in case our layover gets shortened and we don't have time to grab dinner. I am packing English muffins, mini bagels and hot dog buns in my roller bag so we will be able to make a semi-filling dinner if we can't get anything else.

I must have been half-asleep when I wrote my original post because I have no idea why we'd need butter:rolleyes:

You can do this - just pack the cooler as planned using the frozen fruit and then get some ice from a vendor after clearing security. Fill a zip lock with the ice and add it to the cooler, during your layover get fresh ice and your items should be just fine. If your using DME you may want to replace the ice again when landing at MCO as the trip to your resort can take a while.

I must have been half-asleep when I wrote my original post because I have no idea why we'd need butter:rolleyes:

Lol I was reading this and wondering what you were going to do with the butter! Was thinking lunch meat, cheese, and butter sandwich? I always packed the stuff from the fridge in the lunch box and then put it in the fridge. That cold soaks the lunch box and in my mind it helps. We have also froze grapes to use for keeping things cold and to eat. We also freeze lunch meat at home (I buy when on sale), so I would think you could freeze that before you go as well.

I don't know if anyone eats peanut butter, but if you can take a peanut butter and jelly sandwich through security (just has to be already made). We have also packed jelly packets and peanut butter to go packs in our "liquids" baggie. There are always at least 4 of us flying and we never use all four 3-3-1 baggies.

No the butter stick shouldn't get tossed. If the item retains its shape, it's not a "liquid". Deodorant sticks that aren't spray, roll-on or gel aren't a liquid because it retains its shape when raised up from the "container". So butter as long as it is still in stick form should be fine....unless it gets so hot it melts!

Depending on your airline, look into buying something onboard. United and Alaska have really nice "tapas" boxes and cheese platters for instance.

Our flight leaves home at 6:30pm so we plan to get to the airport around 5:15 since we have no checked bags. We typically eat dinner between 7-8pm so eating before we leave means we will be hungry again when we land. We have a short connection (70 minutes) at MDW and the plan is to grab McDonald's for dinner which will be around 7:30 (our time...6:30 local). We won't land in Orlando until 11pm and we are staying overnight at the hotel. My plans for the food are two-fold. On one hand, I want to bring my own cheese slices from home where I get a package for $2.50 instead of paying over $7 for it at the resort. Same with the hot dogs. Second, I want to have some lunch meat and fruit in case our layover gets shortened and we don't have time to grab dinner. I am packing English muffins, mini bagels and hot dog buns in my roller bag so we will be able to make a semi-filling dinner if we can't get anything else.

Ok, that makes sense. You'll be fine doing it the way you've planned!! Well, except for that butter sandwich...you trying to kill your dh?

Depending on your airline, look into buying something onboard. United and Alaska have really nice "tapas" boxes and cheese platters for instance.

This from a few yrs ago, but I remember a story when a family had planned to buy food on board and by the time the flight attendants got to them. the food was gone. I've never bought anything during a flight, so I have no experience.

We typically pack fairly light since we are staying in a 1BR and do laundry every night. Each of us have a backpack that holds everything that we need for the week and it fits under the seat in the plane so we will also be bringing our two rolling carry-on bags. I am using Amazon Prime to deliver water, Pop-Tarts, cereal, jelly, syrup, chips and snacks. Then, we will walk over to the Speedway and grab a couple 12-packs of soda (I have coupons for free Coke), a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs. In our bags, I'm going to pack bread, hot dog buns, English muffins, mini bagels, powdered peanut butter and pancake mix. My parents and sister's family are flying in the next day and they ARE packing checked bags so our laundry detergent, liquid fabric softener and full-size sunscreen will be hitching a ride with them. That left the problem of the cheese slices (for my morning breakfast sandwiches) and the hot dogs. I know they are both available on site, but the price is ridiculous! The cheese is about $7 and the hot dogs are at least $6. By bringing my lunch cooler, we will also have a small bag to put in the stroller for snacks in the park.

We typically pack fairly light since we are staying in a 1BR and do laundry every night. Each of us have a backpack that holds everything that we need for the week and it fits under the seat in the plane so we will also be bringing our two rolling carry-on bags. I am using Amazon Prime to deliver water, Pop-Tarts, cereal, jelly, syrup, chips and snacks. Then, we will walk over to the Speedway and grab a couple 12-packs of soda (I have coupons for free Coke), a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs. In our bags, I'm going to pack bread, hot dog buns, English muffins, mini bagels, powdered peanut butter and pancake mix. My parents and sister's family are flying in the next day and they ARE packing checked bags so our laundry detergent, liquid fabric softener and full-size sunscreen will be hitching a ride with them. That left the problem of the cheese slices (for my morning breakfast sandwiches) and the hot dogs. I know they are both available on site, but the price is ridiculous! The cheese is about $7 and the hot dogs are at least $6. By bringing my lunch cooler, we will also have a small bag to put in the stroller for snacks in the park.

Great idea! I am planning on bringing some of those tuna snack kits, Starbucks instant coffee, those packaged mini muffins, and goldfish. :)

How do you get Amazon prime to deliver? Do they deliver to the hotel front desk? Does the front desk call your room? We've done Amazon prime on a beach vacation.

Great idea! I am planning on bringing some of those tuna snack kits, Starbucks instant coffee, those packaged mini muffins, and goldfish. :)

How do you get Amazon prime to deliver? Do they deliver to the hotel front desk? Does the front desk call your room? We've done Amazon prime on a beach vacation.
The only time I used Amazon Prime was last October. My mother and I were staying at Pop Century and I ordered some instant oatmeal (I brought my electric kettle), mac and cheese cups, bars, water and soda. I ordered it on Monday and when we arrived on Thursday, it was waiting for us at check in. I just had the luggage folks bring it to our room with our other bags.

Here is the address for Pop Century that I have stored in my Amazon Account..
  • HOLD FOR "My Name" (Check In xx/xx/xxxx)
  • 1050 CENTURY DR
  • RESERVATION # xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • LAKE BUENA VISTA, FL 32830-8433
  • United States

The only time I used Amazon Prime was last October. My mother and I were staying at Pop Century and I ordered some instant oatmeal (I brought my electric kettle), mac and cheese cups, bars, water and soda. I ordered it on Monday and when we arrived on Thursday, it was waiting for us at check in. I just had the luggage folks bring it to our room with our other bags.

Here is the address for Pop Century that I have stored in my Amazon Account..
  • HOLD FOR "My Name" (Check In xx/xx/xxxx)
  • 1050 CENTURY DR
  • RESERVATION # xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • LAKE BUENA VISTA, FL 32830-8433
  • United States

I send packages to myself pretty much every trip. The hotel suggests that you not put your reservation # on the pkg. Your name and arrival date are sufficient identifying information.

I remember why I was thinking about packing butter...pancakes!:rotfl: The syrup is coming in the Prime Pantry order but I need butter too. In the past, when we've stayed at AKV, we always grabbed a few of the portable butters and syrups from The Mara. Since we are at BWV this time, I don't know where we would find them. So, I guess I am going to be packing some frozen butter.

On a related note, I found a pleasant surprise today. The lunch boxes that the kids use are a "slim" box (more like a packing cube) and mine is more like a bucket purse. I had been planning on using mine, but realized that it doesn't really fit like I thought it would in my spinner bag. Well, as it turns out, the slim lunch box fits perfectly AND all of the stuff I'm planning to bring (including the butter:laughing:) fits inside. I don't really want to use one of their lunch boxes though. Then it dawned on me that we had ordered one from eBags and the zipper was stuck. Since eBags has a lifetime guarantee, they happily sent us a replacement, which is the one that DD13 uses right now. I never threw out the old one though...so I dug it out today, sprayed some WD40 on the zipper...pried, tugged, and pulled...and finally got it to come loose:banana:. Now I have the PERFECT bag to keep our cold stuff cold! I was able to put a package of hot dogs, frozen turkey sausage, and the cheese slice container in it with plenty of room to spare for a frozen stick of butter. Instead of frozen veggies (which will go to waste), I was thinking about freezing some pineapple spears. I will also bring some snack-size Ziploc baggies and fill them with ice after we clear security and when we stop on our layover. We are spending the night at the Hyatt and I believe the rooms have a refrigerator. I'll just grab some ice from the machine before we get on DME in the morning. We will have our bags with us (all carry-on) so no need to worry about them sitting out in the sun. When we get to BWV, I can pull the lunch bag out and have them keep that in the freezer.

I remember why I was thinking about packing butter...pancakes!:rotfl: The syrup is coming in the Prime Pantry order but I need butter too. In the past, when we've stayed at AKV, we always grabbed a few of the portable butters and syrups from The Mara. Since we are at BWV this time, I don't know where we would find them. So, I guess I am going to be packing some frozen butter.

On a related note, I found a pleasant surprise today. The lunch boxes that the kids use are a "slim" box (more like a packing cube) and mine is more like a bucket purse. I had been planning on using mine, but realized that it doesn't really fit like I thought it would in my spinner bag. Well, as it turns out, the slim lunch box fits perfectly AND all of the stuff I'm planning to bring (including the butter:laughing:) fits inside. I don't really want to use one of their lunch boxes though. Then it dawned on me that we had ordered one from eBags and the zipper was stuck. Since eBags has a lifetime guarantee, they happily sent us a replacement, which is the one that DD13 uses right now. I never threw out the old one though...so I dug it out today, sprayed some WD40 on the zipper...pried, tugged, and pulled...and finally got it to come loose:banana:. Now I have the PERFECT bag to keep our cold stuff cold! I was able to put a package of hot dogs, frozen turkey sausage, and the cheese slice container in it with plenty of room to spare for a frozen stick of butter. Instead of frozen veggies (which will go to waste), I was thinking about freezing some pineapple spears. I will also bring some snack-size Ziploc baggies and fill them with ice after we clear security and when we stop on our layover. We are spending the night at the Hyatt and I believe the rooms have a refrigerator. I'll just grab some ice from the machine before we get on DME in the morning. We will have our bags with us (all carry-on) so no need to worry about them sitting out in the sun. When we get to BWV, I can pull the lunch bag out and have them keep that in the freezer.

May I make a suggestion?

I use ziploc bags quite a bit when I travel. I use them to make my own ice packs. In my experience, the smaller bags leak the water as the ice melts. I use the heavy duty freezer bags (they have a double 'zipper') and have not had issues with those leaking. The problem is if your cooler isn't waterproof when the ice bag melts and leaks, the water will seep through the cooler and get other things wet.
Can you tell this has happened to me??!! :)

No the butter stick shouldn't get tossed. If the item retains its shape, it's not a "liquid". Deodorant sticks that aren't spray, roll-on or gel aren't a liquid because it retains its shape when raised up from the "container". So butter as long as it is still in stick form should be fine....unless it gets so hot it melts!
That sounds logical, but I had an over-zealous security office insist that my solid deodorant be put in my (completely full) 3-1-1, because quote it could be melted into a liquid, unquote. Yes, well so can my husband's chocolate bars, or my gold earrings. And of course, I carry an acetylene torch on board with me so I can indeed melt stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter