• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pacific Surfliner from Anaheim to San Diego

Mouse13

DIS Veteran
We are planning to ride the Pacific Surfliner from Anaheim to San Diego and back in October. For those of you that may have done this, would you advise purchasing the first class tickets to guarantee seats for your family? We'll have one 9 year old with my husband and myself. Also, it looks like it's about 4 miles from the San Diego Amtrak station over to the San Diego Zoo. We were thinking that we'd just hail a cab to get us over to the zoo. Are there usually cabs waiting around the Amtrak station? or at the zoo when it's time for us to head back to the train? Are the cabs reliable in San Diego?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

We rode the train to San Diego some time ago. We hopped the city bus near the depot and it let us off right near the entrance to the zoo. It's much cheaper than a cab.

We are thinking about doing this in June and was wondering if this is a better option than driving to San Diego. Also, how often does bus run?

Thank

I love going on the train. You just sit back and watch all the traffic go by. Plus you go right by the ocean. It's the only way to go, IMO. Don't know about the bus schedule, but I'm sure they run quite frequently.

First off, this is one of the best rail trips in the country. For long streches the train runs right along the coast itself - in some places you are just feet away from the ocean. The stretch from Anaheim down to San Juan Capistrano is pretty much Suburbia USA, but once you pass the mission in San Juan (the station is about a block away from the mission) it's beach until the outskirts of San Diego.

The line is extremely popular with locals and commuters, it's probably best to upgrade to Business Class (which at the moment is about $11 per ticket). On the weekends coach can litterally be standing room only. The business cars also have a couple seats that face each other with a table in between, these seats are reserved for groups of three or more and are perfect for families with children. The train also has a cafe car with snacks and drinks.

The station in San Diego is right downtown. It is the center of the city's light rail and bus network. There are always taxis waiting (follow the signs when you get off the train); the Old Town Trolley stop is about a city block away at the cruise ship terminal - they make stops at most of the major tourist centers (http://www.trustedtours.com/store/Old-Town-Trolley-San-Diego-C182.aspx)

Thanks for the advice. Any ideas on how much a taxi takes from the station to the Zoo?

Also, does anyone know if there is parking at the station in Anaheim?
Yes, tons and tons of free parking. It's right next to Angel Stadium so you might have to tell an attendant you're going to the train station if it's a game day.

I don't know what the cab fare from the station to the zoo is, but it's only a couple of miles - Balboa Park is in downtown San Diego as well. I can't imagine it would be more than $20-$25 with tip.

The Amtrak/Metrolink station in Anaheim is at Anaheim Stadium. The enterance is off Katella. Last time I checked the parking was free. There's a ticket office and enclosed waiting area as well. Taxis are always available and it's also a stop on the Anaheim tourist "trolley" as well.

If you have AAA, be sure to see if ther'es a discount for the trip. As far as I can remember from my pre-planning last year (I didn't end up doing the train trip though), there's the normal 10% discount for AAA members (and their kids) if you book in advance.

We were thinking about doing one of the bus tours to San Diego - but this sounds way cool! Thanks for the information!:hippie:

:thumbsup2 Hi! we just did this in June, we flew into San Diego and went to the train station and went business class up to Anaheim, we were served a drink of our choice and given a snack pack! it was great! we took a cab from the amtrak station to the Candy Cane Inn for about 8.00 and then went back to San Diego for the rest of our vacation. our hotel took us to the zoo but, it is really close to Amtrak station,so it couldn' t cost that much. have fun! :hippie:

I take this train often, most recently just two days ago.

There's plenty of free parking at the Anaheim station.

I no longer take Business Class as there are always plenty of seats in coach. The only time I've seen it get crowded is on the Friday afternoon/evening trains from S.D. to L.A. (it looked like college students and young adults were going to L.A. for the weekend).

If you are getting on the train in downtown S.D., you will NOT have to stand, since it is the initial departure point. The train is empty and will pick up passengers along the way.

Woody

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter