overplanning?

frsttimers

Proud Wife of a U.S. Sailor
Is there any such thing as overplanning? Our original plans were for the 2nd week in January but now my husband will be deployed that week (Navy...god love 'em). Sooooo our only option is 12/29 - 1/5 or postpone for 18 -24 months. Since I promised DD a Disney trip for her 7th b-day that really isn't an option. So far I have our reservations, PS's, and a tentative schedule for each day of our stay.....show times, parades, that sort of thing....I'm wondering if a daily itinerary is TOO organized but I know its going to be busy at this time and don't want to be running around like a chicken with its head cut off :p what do you guys think??.....oh yes, hubby swears this will be our only disney trip ever so on the off chance of that happening I'd like to do as much as possible....

This is the best advice I can give you:

Have a plan, but be flexible.

Know what you want to see, and generally how you want to do it. But when things come up, go with the flow. In the end, you will see what you wanted, but will all be happier because you were flexible.

:D Hope this helps! :D

be flexible....sounds like good advice to me....i'm so worried about the crowds....but i guess that worrying won't make the crowds any less.....flexible.....maybe that should be my new trip motto!

I totally agree on the importance of flexibility -- if you get too wrapped up in the plan, you'll drive yourself nuts if something throws you off course. But of course, the point is, you can only be flexible about your plan if you have a plan in the first place. So, I would say, there's no such thing as overplanning, but there is such a thing as being too faithful to the plan.

Does that make sense?

In other words, having made a PS for lunch gives you the choice of going through with it or deciding to do something else, but if you didn't make the PS, you might not be able to eat there at all.

Well said above. I have been "overplanning" for the past 6 months in preparation for our December trip. But the sole focus has been to give us "options." When you are creating a daily plan, view that plan as the best option for that day. If you don't follow it to the letter, oh well. Plan B is just as good.

And any plan when you are in the House of Mouse will end up being a great vacation. The last time I went to WDW was 1999 and we had to deal with Hurricane Floyd. It caused mayhem to our "plans". But you know what? We rolled with it and I don't remember the stuff we didn't do...

I only remember the magical stuff that we did do. :)

Can't overplan but as others have said be flexible.You want to be relaxed enough to enjoy the magic of Disney.I would like to add god bless and keep your husband safe.::yes:: :wave2:

I think research is also the key here. Find out as much as you can about different strategies, etc. (for example...what rides are fast loading vs. slow loading, which rides to grab a fast pass for and take in other attractions while you wait). This gives you knowledge and can prepare you to make wise choices. It is a great idea to have a tentive outline of what you want to do, then with what you have learned you can make "modifications" if you need to. In my experience, the "plan" never gets followed out as we've "planned".....but, at least, we had a great place to start! It is also a good idea to build in some "extra" time to revisit or do things you didn't get a chance to (if you can)....because that will happen::yes:: .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter