• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Overbooked at Boardwalk and moved barely without asking?

I can understand that you feel concerned about this, and not having a choice in the matter. But the new resort is right across the lake from your original resort, so same access to Epcot and the Studios. Plus the Beach Club has the best pool area on property. I hope you can make the best of it and have a great time.
I know Stormalong Bay is considered the best pool on property, but I’d honestly be annoyed if they moved us from Boardwalk to Beach Club because we stayed at Beach Club before and my husband felt that the pool was too overwhelming for our daughter. Which is why we booked at Boardwalk instead for our trip this summer. The pool is just a lot for a younger kid and I didn’t like how disjointed it felt. And I didn’t like how the slide was outside the pool area. I could never just watch her go to the slide from my chair. One of us always had to go out with her. So I honestly wouldn’t want to stay there again until she’s a bit older

If Disney tells your TA they're moving you to what most people consider a better, more desirable resort, there's definitely a good reason for it. As I suggested earlier, I'm betting something prevented BWI from putting you into the room originally scheduled for you.

Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to move you to a high-demand, smaller resort from a less-desired one undergoing construction. And, a resort that's practically AT Epcot's back gate, it's that much closer than BWI. You're getting an upgrade.

It does make sense, however, that Disney refused to go into details with you. That's simply how things must be done when you're using a TA.

I encourage you to give it a go. You may well return delighted that you did.
So I have looked at the reviews of both resorts and it seems like it was a split between the two 50/50.

I believe it really in the "eye of the beholder". If you ordered a Pepsi and given a Coke at the last minute and the server said its better, try it.

Side note: I have never stayed at either location but people have said its a "upgrade". Not having stayed at either I don't know. So just checking prices of the two Boardwalk was a average 923 a night, Beach Club was 653 average for the same period. IDK

I know Stormalong Bay is considered the best pool on property, but I’d honestly be annoyed if they moved us from Boardwalk to Beach Club because we stayed at Beach Club before and my husband felt that the pool was too overwhelming for our daughter. Which is why we booked at Boardwalk instead for our trip this summer. The pool is just a lot for a younger kid and I didn’t like how disjointed it felt. And I didn’t like how the slide was outside the pool area. I could never just watch her go to the slide from my chair. One of us always had to go out with her. So I honestly wouldn’t want to stay there again until she’s a bit older
Yeah, we had been given the option when we booked and the Beach Club just didn't seem like a good fit. We are "older" and just wanted Boardwalk. Seemed like it fitted us better. We don't rush out the door in the morning to hit the parks, we're more just about the experience.

The whole process has just been a job. Now I feel like someone that's sent food back and uneasy about eating. Unless something goes really well I think we should cancel and "maybe" try again in the fall or go someplace else.

So I have looked at the reviews of both resorts and it seems like it was a split between the two 50/50.

I believe it really in the "eye of the beholder". If you ordered a Pepsi and given a Coke at the last minute and the server said its better, try it.

Side note: I have never stayed at either location but people have said its a "upgrade". Not having stayed at either I don't know. So just checking prices of the two Boardwalk was a average 923 a night, Beach Club was 653 average for the same period. IDK
Room prices vary at both resorts. Standard? Water view? CL? Rack vs discount?
It sounds like you are concerned this isn't a lateral move, resort wise. It is. What category room did you book at BWI? What category room are you being offered at Beach Club?

Granted it seems walled off relatively well from reports, but with room renovations ongoing and general construction occurring around BWI (Cake Bake restaurant, maybe some other places around), may be a blessing in disguise.

If you're dead set on BWI and nothing else will do then I'd just wait and go when construction is done, you'll be guaranteed a renovated room, etc.

It is not unusual for Disney to move people to a different resort. We've experienced it a couple of times. The difference for you was that you were out of the loop and not given any options. The TA was in control of your reservation, not you. Normally you would have been able to negotiate with Disney and maybe even be allowed to remain at your first resort. I would be upset, too.

Since you have never stayed at either the BC or BWI, you might be in for a pleasant surprise. It is a better resort than BWI, although both resorts need some room refurbishments. :)

I don't know, Something went wrong and at this point I'm just trying to find out where that happened. I know everyone on here is a big Disney fan as I'm as well, but really just wanted to see if this was the new norm or something else.
This isn’t new, happened to us in the past at Boardwalk, about 15 years ago. We were switched from a room at the Inn that slept 5 to a room at The Villas that slept 4 without being notified when we checked in at the front desk. I was angry, it was rude, and I had no where to sleep our 5th person who was my dd’s friend. I was told too bad basically, no apology, and no where else available. The manager brought a blowup mattress to our room. It was Star Wars weekend and we had an AP discount room. By no means is everything perfect at Disney all the time.

I understand the disappointment of having the chosen resort changed without your input. People put a lot of thought into choosing a resort at WDW so a last minute change can be frustrating.

WDW does "walk" guests to a different resort. Is it usual or common? No, the vast majority of reservations remain unchanged and folks stay exactly how they booked. WDW really does try to offer at least a comparable move if not an upgrade, taking into consideration resort category, location and room category. You haven't indicated your new room category -- it's possible you'll find it's an upgrade in room category.

The room rates you quoted in a post above are off because rack rates at both resorts are fairly similar. It looks like rack rate for a standard room at Beach Club arriving 3/19 is $747 while rack rate for the same date at Boardwalk is $798 -- so yes Boardwalk is a bit higher. A different room category at BC could put BC at a higher rack rate. Once you get your assigned room, if you still feel you have overpaid, stop by the front desk and ask to speak with a manager.

I think your beef is misdirected and should be with how the TA handled this, not with WDW directly. You chose to make your reservation through a TA. The nature of the travel business -- the TA "owns" that reservation until you arrive, and as such WDW can't change it with you directly. WDW correctly contacted the TA, who really should have gotten your approval before agreeing to the change.

The best lesson her may be to not use a TA for your next trip. Due to the refurbishments going on I've heard of several people getting moved, and Disney is willing to work with customers who booked directly and try to meet their needs. Unfortunately, you weren't on the call or email between Disney and your travel agent so it's like a game of telephone where you may not be privy to how everything went. As others have stated Beach Club is a wonderful resort and has the better pool. The BW is a quick walk or boat ride across the water, so you still have access to everything. I find the rooms at BC can be quieter which we prefer.

So to answer a couple of comments that were post. Both rooms were "garden view" rooms. The rates I looked up were just a quick random date of the two resorts on those dates. Again supply and demand could have a facture in the prices. Which if thats the case does not show well for the Beach Club.

Going through a TA seemed like a fast and easy process to navigate the Disney "maze".
My TA is not going to Disney world Monday, she didnt care overall if anything changed. It didnt affect her plans or mindset that was created over the past couple months.

This was a Christmas gift for my wife because I didnt know what to get her. lol

My biggest problem that could have been easily avoided was to contact me directly or have a quick conference call if legal hurdles had to be watched. "...but Disney doesnt have time for that type of contact" Again Disney at one point was not the norm company, at one point "Disney Magic" was a thing that was common.

Did they just find out Friday that the drywall wasnt done? Is there a project manger on site over looking construction? Of course there is. Call me 2 weeks ago, not the night before we leave. Just wasnt done correctly.

FLASH UPDATE; They moved us back, good grief. Im exhausted by how this was handled.

Thanks for letting me talk with others on this board. It wasnt meant to be a "rant" just "has this happened to others?"

Minus 1 point Disney

Thanks

So just got a call from our travel agent telling us that we got moved from the Boardwalk to the the Beach Club in 3 days of our trip. Is this normal for Disney to just move people because they over booked? and without really even asking. More "telling" based on information from the agent. Said it was a "lateral" move.

I asked if it was a choice and as told no. Go to the Beach Club or dont show up. Has Disney really fallen this far that this is the "New" Disney Magic that we pay for?

Is this really a thing that happens these days with Disney? I just feel like "Give us your money and shut up"
I get it, it'd be annoying for them to move you without asking especially if you had your heart set on BW, however in my opinion BC is an upgrade and we'd love to be moved there :)

So just checking prices of the two Boardwalk was a average 923 a night, Beach Club was 653 average for the same period. IDK

No, there’s no way you’re comparing the same room types for these 2 resorts. They are never almost $300 difference. What dates did you look at? Entirely possible you were looking at a garden club level room or villa at BW & a standard garden view room at BC. What dates did you look at?

Yeah, we had been given the option when we booked and the Beach Club just didn't seem like a good fit. We are "older" and just wanted Boardwalk. Seemed like it fitted us better. We don't rush out the door in the morning to hit the parks, we're more just about the experience.

So contact your TA & tell them BC won’t work. That's why you booked with a travel agent in the first place I assume, so they’ll do the work for you. If you’re not happy with the options, maybe this isn’t the right time to visit.

I get it, it'd be annoying for them to move you without asking especially if you had your heart set on BW, however in my opinion BC is an upgrade and we'd love to be moved there :)
I know it most likely doesn't seem like it but im very easy going. However if im going to spend 10K on a "experience" then steps should be followed. THIS all could have been avoided with a simple phone call..."Mr Smith; we have ran into a problem with your room. Would you be ok with a change?" Sure no problem. Not move the cattle gates around till we fix our problem.

I know it most likely doesn't seem like it but im very easy going. However if im going to spend 10K on a "experience" then steps should be followed. THIS all could have been avoided with a simple phone call..."Mr Smith; we have ran into a problem with your room. Would you be ok with a change?" Sure no problem. Not move the cattle gates around till we fix our problem.
And that is the service they provide as long as you don't use a TA.
I'm glad you are happy about moving back to BWI.

So just got a call from our travel agent telling us that we got moved from the Boardwalk to the the Beach Club in 3 days of our trip. Is this normal for Disney to just move people because they over booked? and without really even asking. More "telling" based on information from the agent. Said it was a "lateral" move.

I asked if it was a choice and as told no. Go to the Beach Club or dont show up. Has Disney really fallen this far that this is the "New" Disney Magic that we pay for?

Is this really a thing that happens these days with Disney? I just feel like "Give us your money and shut up"

I think most people would see Beach Club as an upgrade from Boardwalk, what with Stormalong Bay, and I believe Disney sees this as a GOOD solution to the problem. In their eyes they are probably doing the best they can to make it right. I do understand your frustration though - people choose different resorts for all sorts of reasons, and being told that the room/resort you reserved and paid for is not an option can be upsetting. In your position, I'd probably like to at least be given an option - ie "the room at the boardwalk is unfortunately unavailable due to unforeseen circumstances, would you like to move to x or y resort?" If Beach Club is not acceptable to you, maybe try seeing if you could be moved to a different resort you'd like better?

Going through a TA seemed like a fast and easy process to navigate the Disney "maze".
My TA is not going to Disney world Monday, she didnt care overall if anything changed. It didnt affect her plans or mindset that was created over the past couple months.

Wow, great travel agent you’ve got there. She should care just as much as Disney does if her customer is happy or not.

My biggest problem that could have been easily avoided was to contact me directly or have a quick conference call if legal hurdles had to be watched. "...but Disney doesnt have time for that type of contact" Again Disney at one point was not the norm company, at one point "Disney Magic" was a thing that was common.

Disney does in fact contact people who book with them directly. You booked with a travel agent so that’s who gets contacted. They should have been the one to contact you, not Disney. They should have advocated for what you wanted & would have accepted. Why are you not holding your travel agent to the same standard you have for Disney??

Did they just find out Friday that the drywall wasnt done? Is there a project manger on site over looking construction? Of course there is. Call me 2 weeks ago, not the night before we leave. Just wasnt done correctly.

FLASH UPDATE; They moved us back, good grief. Im exhausted by how this was handled.

The timing was certainly not handled well. We don’t know if it was something that was known ahead of time or last minute issues do we? And again, do you know for certain the TA wasn’t contacted sooner? Glad they ended up leaving you where you want to be. Hopefully you can still enjoy your trip.

Last edited:

So you just don’t see that the phone call should have come from your travel agent & you assign them no responsibility at all? After all, they’re getting a commission on that 10K you’re spending too. Why did they not contact you??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter