Out of the way spots for 9 month old?

kollerbear

DIS Veteran
Going with my family (mom, dad, sister) starting next weekend (the week of the 16th) and my DD (9 months) has just started cruising! She did not enjoy dark rides in Disneyland back in October, so my expectations are pretty laid back for our upcoming trip. I'm happy to go with the flow and follow her lead. I was wondering if anyone has traveled at this age and has any suggestions of spots where crawlers/cruisers could get to move around a little bit? I'm not too worried about her roaming around on the ground in general but obviously some spots are going to be cleaner and more out of the way than others, so any hidden gems would be appreciated! Thanks!

I took both my girls to WDW around 9 months. We found the baby care centers especially at Animal Kingdom and Epcot to be very useful for this. They both have large spaces with t.v.s showing Disney movies where little ones can cruise around for awhile. The babycare center at DHS is tiny so it isn't as helpful. The one at MK really depends on how busy it is when you go. That one is on the smaller side and can also get really busy. They are also air conditioned, which doesn't mean much to you traveling this time of year, but for us that was awesome. You can also easily change diapers too. Also at MK, those newer fake grassy areas in front of the castle are nice for kids to crawl around. On our last trip in November, we got lunch at Casey's and had a picnic there. My kids are older now (6, 2) but they enjoyed running around that area.

Theres a pathway between Sir Mickeys and the castle, this pathway leads to the line where you line up to meet Merida. Ive had luck with both my girls for just hanging out and letting them run up and down that path. Its pretty lightly travelled, its also a place where the Fairy Godmother has a meet and greet a couple times a day. Once a photographer cast member came out a door, which we later learned was from Anna and Elsa, and she saw the girls crawling around and running and having fun. She went onto to doing a little private photo session with the girls having fun. Wicked cool experience. Just one of those magical moments that just happened.
Plus the walkways between the Dinosaur and the little Jurassic gift shop, pathways are neatly decorated with wild foliage and dinosaur statues.

In Epcot - China, Japan and Canada have some pretty nice gardens with paths away from the crowd. Most of the deluxe resorts have little tucked away spaces inside.

Another vote for the baby care centers. They are a nice cool place to decompress for a little bit.

We've been taking DS since he was 7 1/2 months, and here are a few of our favorite spots.

MK - there is a play area for smaller kids next to Splash Mountain under the railroad, and Dumbo has an indoor playground to play while you wait in line that has a small toddler section in the center.

DHS - that's a tough one since the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground closed. The Disney Jr. show has everyone sitting on the ground and then the kids getting up and moving around at certain parts. If anyone in your party is riding the Tower of Terror, use rider swap - if you go through the exit and through the gift shop, there is a space after that with benches that looks like an old hotel lobby. It can get loud/busy in the center when groups are exiting (which is constant), but off to the sides there is a bit of room.

Epcot - Lots of spots here. After (or through the exit) of Journey Into Imagination, there is a carpeted area with squares that make the noises of different instruments when you step of them. Also, if you go through the exit of Test Track, there is a nice, large air conditioned area where they have some cars on display. It's carpeted and never really gets too busy. The aquarium after The Seas with Nemo (again, you can go through the exit if she doesn't like dark rides) has a lot of room to move around, but the second-floor observation area can get pretty busy. In the World Showcase, walk back through the UK pavilion, and there's a garden area and hedge maze. Sometimes the maze can be busy with bigger kids running through, but the area right around it has tons of room.

AK- The Boneyard! Don't skip the Boneyard playground! DS actually started walking there, and it was perfect b/c the ground is that rubberized texture. There are some nice open spaces in there.

And, as just about everyone mentioned, the Baby Care Centers are awesome! Also, use rider swap (especially during nap time), and they do sell those cute Mickey Ear Hats that you can get names embroidered on in infant sizes...

We loved the play area under the bridge by Splash Mountain and most of the places named above but also right by the tent where you meet characters (near the Barnstormer) there's another circus tent filed with chairs that I usually go and sit for a few minutes with a napping baby. It's quiet and shaded. Have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter