Our Very Own California Adventure!! July 30th-August 11th, 2008

What a great report. I'm enjoying reading it, and love that you included pics.

I took my kids on a weekend trip to San Francisco a couple of years ago, and they both have been wanting to go back.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on California Street (think that's the name) at the end of one of the cable car lines. My son made me walk from Pier 39 UP the hill all the way back to the hotel. (He didn't want to ride the cable car & kept telling me that I would feel SUCH a sense of accomplishment, lol. My legs were so wobbly from all that walking that when we stepped off a big curb near the hotel I fell flat on my face in the street :sad2: :rotfl:

I'm glad we walked back, though. You get a different perspective when you walk instead of driving/riding in the cable car.

Sorry, went a little OT here. Back to your report. :)

I'm loving all the pictures but now I'm jonesing for a California trip.:rotfl2: I want to go to that restaurant you found AND do the wine tasting. I'm afraid I'm with your DH in that even though I adore ice cream, I would have chosen wine as well.:confused3

Sorry I'm making you wish for a California trip! Just wait, I'm just getting started, you'll be checking airfare and hotel prices before you know it! :laughing:

Michelle-I am loving the report and pics! Keep it coming!! :yay:

Thanks Alicia, all 3 of my boys will be out of the house for awhile tonight so I'm hoping to get day 3 done. :surfweb:

What a great report. I'm enjoying reading it, and love that you included pics.

I took my kids on a weekend trip to San Francisco a couple of years ago, and they both have been wanting to go back.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on California Street (think that's the name) at the end of one of the cable car lines. My son made me walk from Pier 39 UP the hill all the way back to the hotel. (He didn't want to ride the cable car & kept telling me that I would feel SUCH a sense of accomplishment, lol. My legs were so wobbly from all that walking that when we stepped off a big curb near the hotel I fell flat on my face in the street :sad2: :rotfl:

I'm glad we walked back, though. You get a different perspective when you walk instead of driving/riding in the cable car.

Sorry, went a little OT here. Back to your report. :)

We walked everywhere, no cable car rides at all - which we really should have done, just to say we had! But fortunately we were only a couple of blocks from the wharf and never had to tackle the really steep hills (or are they small mountains, I'm not sure?! ;) ). I'm so sorry that you fell, I hope you weren't hurt!

I finally read the last installment today. Someone posted a link to Alcatraz yesterday, so I was on there the whole day, reading up on it!! I can't wait to hear more.:banana:

Now you're all ready for a trip to see it for yourself!

If all goes as planned, I'll have day 3 up later tonight.

Day 3, Friday August 1st

I was awake early again today - darn time change! So, I got up and got into the shower, which of course woke everyone else up too. We all decided that we wanted a hot breakfast that morning, and weren't willing to pay the $24.99/person :eek: that the hotel was asking for it, so we walked a couple of blocks to Denny's. After breakfast DH went to get our rental car and the boys and I headed back to the hotel to pack up our last few things and haul all of our stuff downstairs to wait for DH. The rental car place was pretty busy, so it took a little while to get the car, but we were still on the road by about 9:30 or so. The drive to Monterey was just a little over an hour and a half. Thankfully the hotel had a room ready for us that early. We stayed at a LaQuinta, which wouldn't typically be my first choice, but we didn't have a lot of options making a last minute reservation, and it was relatively new and very clean.

When we checked in I grabbed a few brochures and a map from the lobby and headed up to the room to plan the rest of the day. First thing we decided to do was the 17 mile drive. **WARNING: Picture overload about to occur** :laughing: This was a beautiful drive, and I took a ton of pictures! I did my best to narrow it down, but there are still quite a few. Our first stop on the drive was at Spanish Bay.

100_4469.jpg

100_4470.jpg

The boys had fun playing near the water - again, the water was really cold!

100_4471.jpg

100_4472.jpg

100_4474.jpg

And some more as we continued down the coastline

100_4477.jpg

100_4479.jpg

100_4482.jpg

100_4484.jpg

100_4485.jpg

This little guy was so cute and friendly! It was obvious that he was used to people because he came right up to you, wasn't afraid at all. I'm sure people probably feed them all the time and that's what he was looking for.

100_4487.jpg

This area is called bird rock, I'm sure you can tell why

100_4488.jpg

But, what else is all over the rock? I had to zoom in with my camera to be certain, but sure enough, it was loaded with seals!

100_4490.jpg

Continuing on, for you golf fans - this a picture of The Lone Cypress, it's the symbol of Pebble Beach Golf Co.

100_4491.jpg

And, a little bit wider view

100_4492.jpg

A lady was nice enough to offer take a family picture for us

100_4495.jpg

The 17 Mile Drive ended at Pebble Beach Golf Course. Here is the 18th hole, as close as we could get without paying an insane amount of money for green fees!

100_4496.jpg

100_4497.jpg

100_4498.jpg

*I'm over the limit on pictures (I told you there was alot! :laughing: ) so I'll have to continue on the next post......

Day 3 continued

I did a little shopping in the pro shop. DH got a Pebble Beach hat and the boys each got a souvenir golf ball, and I collect spoons, so I got a spoon. After that, we decided to continue down Highway 1 towards Big Sur. We drove through a little bit of Carmel by the Sea getting back to the Highway, it is such a cute area! I would love to go back and spend some time here some day.

Here are some more coastal pictures, the photos really don't do this area justice, it's just breathtakingly beautiful!

100_4500.jpg

100_4502.jpg

100_4503.jpg

We hadn't eaten anything since breakfast and it was now about 3:30 in the afternoon and my children were dying from starvation! :laughing: So, we stopped at a place along the highway for lunch. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but I had the best chicken sandwich of my life there! Here was our view during our meal:

100_4506.jpg

After our late lunch/early dinner we decided to go for a hike in Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. They had recently had some pretty serious wild fires in the area, so parts of the park were still closed, and our choice of doable hikes was relatively small. We decided to do the Valley Overlook Trail. Good grief, I knew I was out of shape, but the hike kicked my butt! :rotfl: It was much longer than I had anticipated, but it was fun, and the kids loved it. Here are a few pictures along the trail.

100_4511.jpg

100_4508.jpg

Tree huggers ;)

100_4509.jpg

100_4510.jpg

100_4512.jpg

And, the Valley Overlook - when we FINALLY reached the top!

100_4514.jpg

100_4515.jpg

100_4516.jpg

I stopped on the way back down and took this photo, just to show the effects of the wildfires

100_4517.jpg

After our HIKE we stopped at the lodge and I looked around the gift shop while the boys had ice cream. Then we headed back to Monterey. We arrived back about 8:00 and after going up to the room decided that it was too early to just sit there, so we went to a Chili's that was down the street and had a drink and some appetizers and watched a baseball game on tv.

It was a great day!

We are WDW vets and finally went to Walt's original back in 2007 when they had fires too. Fortunately we didn't have to change our plans like you did. My daughter got sick on that trip and we had a doctor visit us in our hotel. Sick kids on vacation is horrible, just horrible. We just loved it though. The pacific ocean is amazingly beautiful. So we ended up going back in 2008. We are now hooked on California and Disneyland. We wanted to hit Yosemite but my wife hurt her back and we ended up going to San Diego and staying at the Hotel Del Coronado and then on to Disneyland.

Anyway I am really loving you TR. We always wanted to do the 17 mile drive as well as Monterey and San Fran. Would you go back to San Fran?

Great pics by the way too!! Can't wait to hear if you went to the Aquarium in Monterey and Sequoia Natl Park.

We fully understand the time difference as well. We would get up so early and then have to wait for Pacific time to catch up with us and yet we would still stay up late. I guess it was because we were so excited. Great to see another midwest vacationer travel out to Cali!!!

I know you were bummed about having to cancel that part of your trip but that looks like a darn good plan B!

Subscribing and going to bed... posted all night and need some sleep! Glad to have something new to check out tomorrow though!!

:cool1:

Those pictures of the coast are truly stunning! I also love the pictures of your boys and the big trees! And the ones of them playing at the surf's edge, and the seals and the...well, all of them to be honest. ;)

Plan B sure does sound like it was great! Monterey is now on my list for our trip out west.

I am really throughly enjoying following along with your adventure. :thumbsup2

Hi....hope you don't mind I followed your TR link from Jaycns TR. You have such a beautiful family. I love all the pictures you posted. I grew up in Southern California and I have been to Monterey a few times. Isn't it just beautiful. I remember "bird rock". Hahaha.

I am really enjoying your TR and can't wait to read more!!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Beautiful pics!! As far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as too many pics of the CA coast. I love it. :thumbsup2

You have a beautiful family! I recently moved to San Diego and am enjoying your report; great pictures! I would love to take a trip like yours someday (soon, I hope!).

Awesome trip report Michelle! Monterey looks beautiful, and I love the coast shots. Next time I visit my friend in Oceanside I'll have to drag her butt upstate for a roadtrip!:rotfl: Can't wait for the rest of the report, looks like your family had a good time!

Just catching up. Michelle, the family photo at Pebble Beach is beautiful. You should do a framed version. Now....bring on the rest!!!!!

Great update and beautiful pictures!

Thanks!

We are WDW vets and finally went to Walt's original back in 2007 when they had fires too. Fortunately we didn't have to change our plans like you did. My daughter got sick on that trip and we had a doctor visit us in our hotel. Sick kids on vacation is horrible, just horrible. We just loved it though. The pacific ocean is amazingly beautiful. So we ended up going back in 2008. We are now hooked on California and Disneyland. We wanted to hit Yosemite but my wife hurt her back and we ended up going to San Diego and staying at the Hotel Del Coronado and then on to Disneyland.

Anyway I am really loving you TR. We always wanted to do the 17 mile drive as well as Monterey and San Fran. Would you go back to San Fran?

Great pics by the way too!! Can't wait to hear if you went to the Aquarium in Monterey and Sequoia Natl Park.

We fully understand the time difference as well. We would get up so early and then have to wait for Pacific time to catch up with us and yet we would still stay up late. I guess it was because we were so excited. Great to see another midwest vacationer travel out to Cali!!!

Hi! I'm glad you found me too! I agree, the Pacific ocean is breathtaking, and we loved California. We will without a doubt be returning. If you ever do make it to Monterery, don't miss the 17 mile drive, it is definately worth the time!

I can see us going back to San Francisco sometime in the future, I realize that the city has more to offer than just the wharf, and it was worth the trip for Alcatraz alone.

I know you were bummed about having to cancel that part of your trip but that looks like a darn good plan B!

Yeah, plan "B" worked out really well! :thumbsup2

Subscribing and going to bed... posted all night and need some sleep! Glad to have something new to check out tomorrow though!!

:cool1:

I hope you enjoy it!

Those pictures of the coast are truly stunning! I also love the pictures of your boys and the big trees! And the ones of them playing at the surf's edge, and the seals and the...well, all of them to be honest. ;)

Plan B sure does sound like it was great! Monterey is now on my list for our trip out west.

I am really throughly enjoying following along with your adventure. :thumbsup2

The picture of the boys playing in the surf is one of my favorites from the whole trip. I love it when I can catch them not paying attention to the camera!

The alternate plan did turn out really well; and I would most definately make Monterey a part of your future travel plans! I would love to go back when we can spend more time there.

Hi....hope you don't mind I followed your TR link from Jaycns TR. You have such a beautiful family. I love all the pictures you posted. I grew up in Southern California and I have been to Monterey a few times. Isn't it just beautiful. I remember "bird rock". Hahaha.

I am really enjoying your TR and can't wait to read more!!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I don't mind at all! I'm glad to have you here! Thanks for the compliment about my family :flower3: I'm kinda partial to my boys myself! :) And, yes, Monterey was beautiful!

Beautiful pics!! As far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as too many pics of the CA coast. I love it. :thumbsup2

I took a ridiculous number of pictures of the coast, I didn't realize how many I had until I got home and downloaded them all! Glad you enjoyed them!

You have a beautiful family! I recently moved to San Diego and am enjoying your report; great pictures! I would love to take a trip like yours someday (soon, I hope!).

Thanks, and welcome! I'm jealous you get to live in San Diego! I loved our time there, it's another place I can't wait to go back to!

Awesome trip report Michelle! Monterey looks beautiful, and I love the coast shots. Next time I visit my friend in Oceanside I'll have to drag her butt upstate for a roadtrip!:rotfl: Can't wait for the rest of the report, looks like your family had a good time!

Hi Lisa! So glad you found me!! :yay: Definately do a roadtrip up the coast if you can - you won't be sorry!

Just catching up. Michelle, the family photo at Pebble Beach is beautiful. You should do a framed version. Now....bring on the rest!!!!!

Thanks, other than photopass pictures, and I think one more at DL, that is the only family photo we have from the entire trip.

I've got all of my picture uploaded and resized for day 4 so I should have it up soon!

Day 4, August 2nd

We started the morning off with breakfast in the hotel lobby, then we checked out and loaded the car up (AGAIN!) and headed down to Cannery Row.

100_4520.jpg

Our plan for the morning was to visit the aquarium and then leave for our long drive to Sequoia National Park. We were early, the aquarium didn't open until 9:30, we were there by about 8:30, and people were already lining up! We didn't feel the need to stand in line for an hour waiting for the doors to open so we walked around Cannery Row for a little while. Nothing was open yet, but just looking in the windows made me wish I had time to shop! It is such a nice area and they had so many cute shops! This is what I had perceived San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf to look like!

After a little window shopping we went out on the dock behind the aquarium. We saw some pelicans

100_4521.jpg

and this adorable seal - isn't he just the cutest, and he was winking at me! :laughing:

100_4523.jpg

It was about 20 minutes until opening at this point and the line was starting to get pretty long, so we went ahead and got in line. Once they opened the doors the line moved really quickly and we were inside in no time.

This guy was inside one of the big tanks cleaning it, don't know why I took his picture - I guess I just thought that was pretty cool.

100_4525.jpg

100_4526.jpg

100_4529.jpg

100_4530.jpg

Jellyfish - ick, these things give me the creeps!

100_4532.jpg

100_4533.jpg

100_4535.jpg

There were a couple of aquarium workers that had this beautiful albatross out. The boys really enjoyed learning all about this bird. The picture that I took of her didn't turn out well, it's kind of blurry - I guess she moved her head right as I was taking the picture, but I'm posting it anyway just so I can relay a story that the keeper told us.

100_4538.jpg

Do you see that jar on the cart full of little pieces of plastic? They told us that all of that plastic was removed from the belly of one albatross! Can you imagine?! Their point for the kids (and adults!) was to always dispose of your trash properly so that it doesn't end up in the ocean harming the wildlife.

We also watched them feed the otters and the big fish (watching that feeding frenzy was really cool). And we all touched a sting ray, all of us except DS7 - they kept changing direction everytime they would get close to his hand! We spent more time at the aquarium than we had intended, but we could have spent a lot more. This is without a doubt the best aquarium that we have ever been to, there is so much to see and do that you could easily spend a full day here. I want to give Marna (pperfectmom) a big fat THANK-YOU for telling me about the aquarium! I had mentioned to my fellow pirate loving friends that we may need to change our Yosemite plans and she is the one that really sold me on Monterey. I hadn't even thought about the aquarium until she mentioned it, and it turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip. So, thank you, Marna! :worship:

After we left the aquarium we ate lunch at a little pizza place and went into one shop for a couple of souveniers. One last picture from Monterey:

100_4548.jpg

*I'm over the limit on photos again, so I'll continue in the next post!

Day 4, continued

Then we started our drive to Sequoia National Park. I can't remember for sure, but I want to say that it took us about 4 hours to get there. We arrived and got checked in. We stayed at Wuksachi Lodge inside the park. I really liked this place, it doesn't have air conditioning, but it doesn't really need it. When we got to our room the windows were all open and it was just wonderful walking into a room full of fresh air! We just shut the windows and turned on the ceiling fans that night when we went to bed and were very comfortable. Here are a couple of pictures that we took outside of our building

100_4549.jpg

100_4550.jpg

Once we got settled, we drove over to Lodgepole Market and ate at Harrison Grill, they have burgers, hot dogs, chicken, pizza. Then we went into the market and bought some snacks for later and some fruit to have for breakfast the next morning. We all wanted to explore a little that evening so we decided to go see General Sherman's Tree.

100_4566.jpg

Annnnnndddddd, what is DS looking at again???? :confused3 :lmao:

100_4552.jpg

For those of you who don't know, General Sherman's Tree is the largest tree in the world. It is not the tallest, or the oldest, but based upon volume, it is the biggest. We were running out of daylight, and that coupled with the forest canopy made for some not so great photographs, sorry!

100_4555.jpg

100_4557.jpg

100_4559.jpg

It's hard to get a feel for just how massive this tree is from the pictures, it is just awe inspiring!

This is not the General Sherman tree, but another large sequoia nearby - I'm telling you, it's amazing how huge these trees are!

100_4560.jpg

100_4561.jpg

100_4563.jpg

100_4565.jpg

Dusk had definitely set in by now, so we started our hike back up to the car and returned to our room to get good and rested for the next day's adventures!

Coming up, Day 5 - More of natures beauty, and we finally get to Disneyland!!

This is such a wonderful report, love the huge trees. You see pictures of them but never realize how big there until real people like your family are up next to them.

I love your boys on all the differnt rocks everywhere, remind me so much of how my boys crawled on everything too...:thumbsup2

Oh, you're very much welcome.:hug: It's probably a good thing I wasn't aware of your jellyfish phobia or I never would have recommended it.:lmao: The last time I was there they had a HUGE area just for different kinds of jellyfish. I think they are super cool looking(as long as they are behind the glass:laughing: ).

It looks like you had a lot of fun at Sequoia as well. I've been there once on a fire and once with DH but we were camping at the time. That lodge sounds awesome though if we ever make it back. I'm so glad your alternate plans worked out for ya'll and you still got to see such cool stuff.:hippie:

This is such a wonderful report, love the huge trees. You see pictures of them but never realize how big there until real people like your family are up next to them.

I love your boys on all the differnt rocks everywhere, remind me so much of how my boys crawled on everything too...:thumbsup2

Thanks Wendy! I think most boys are climbers - I know mine sure are!

Oh, you're very much welcome.:hug: It's probably a good thing I wasn't aware of your jellyfish phobia or I never would have recommended it.:lmao: The last time I was there they had a HUGE area just for different kinds of jellyfish. I think they are super cool looking(as long as they are behind the glass:laughing: ).

They still have the HUGE jellyfish area - I didn't realize there were so many different kinds of them! They are pretty fascinating, but like you said - as long as they are behind the glass!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter