Our First Trip- a question about taxi's

Tamara NZ

Earning My Ears
After saving every spare cent for the last 3 years, I am so close to the goal that I am actually looking at booking flights, We are so excited :cloud9:.

Going on this trip will be myself (Mum) and my 2 girls, Miss 13 and Miss 7.

The plan so far is leave NZ on 4th January 2015, fly to LAX via either Air New Zealand or Virgin Australia.

Spend 3 days in Hollywood doing the walk of fame, the wax museums, Ripley's and Universal Studios.
Then to Anaheim for 12 days for Disneyland.
Down to San Diego for the Zoo and SeaWorld and the Maritime museum. 3 days
then to Buena Park for Knotts Berry Farm 4 days

Leave to come back to New Zealand on 26th January. Dates are pretty set as I have to work around parental access to the ex and school reopening at the end of January for Miss 13.

So I have been to the local travel and they have pencilled in Karmel Shuttles for transport to Hollywood at a cost of $126nz for the 3 of us, which I didn't think was to bad but in the terms it says that they don't provide car seats, So I was looking at other options as I really didn't want to bring a booster for Miss 7.
They also had Karmel for the trip from San Diego to Buena Park at a cost of $609nz which seems excessive. The trip down to San Diego was on Lux bus. So I was thinking ok maybe we should use Amtrak to get down and back from San Diego and just taxi to the Stations. And then I thought I might get a taxi from LAX to Hollywood rather then a shuttle.

With Taxi's do they have booster seats available? or do I need to take our own one? I assume its just like here, you pay one fare no matter how many customers unlike shuttles which you pay per seat. Also has anyone use Uber while in USA? would they have booster seats?

Thanks. :thanks:

I have 3 times used Super Shuttle from LAX , I know people don't like them, but have had no problems, u can book it yourself on line.
Have a look at Orchid Suites Hollywood, a great hotel just behind Hollywood Blvde. You can book that yourself on line. Great spot to see all the things in Hollywood.
You can walk to the train station a couple of minutes and get the train one stop to go to Universal Studios.
Also you can jump on a bus to go to the Grove shopping centre and Farmers Markets.
There is a massive American Girl doll shop at the Grove, if you daughter is into these dolls.

I second Orchid Suites Hollywood-simple and basic with a full kitchen, openable windows (which we like), fly screens and balcony, good value and wonderful location, and with included breakfast (get what you want and take it on the tray back to your unit to eat where there is more space). The hotel also has a pool. Walk out the door and cut straight through into the Hollywood and Highland Centre with views to the Hollywood Sign, Kodak Theatre, shopping mall, lots of places to eat and outside the HoHo bus stop, other tour bus departure stop, city bus stop and metro train line. In 2011 bus 217 went to The Grove (though we carried on and went to La Brea Tar Pits and Page Museum first which we really enjoyed then walked - but could have bussed- back to The Grove). We have used Super Shuttle though not for a long time. Our last visit here, which was in 2011, we used a Zippy Shuttle (this was for Anaheim back to Orchid Suites as we caught the Disney Bus to Anaheim)-they were a bit late as were held up at the airport by their previous customers, but otherwise fine. We also had a brilliant taxi driver recommended by the hotel who took us to the airport when we flew out of LAX called All City Express (we had Harry)-he was so accommodating and will take you all over the city. Rates seemed reasonable and we took his card for the future-but now 4 years have gone past he's probably not still there.

We used Super Shuttle the first time we went, but never again. We had quite a lot of luggage (4 suitcases for 2 of us), and we said that up front and asked if it would be a problem. We were told absolutely not, no problem at all. They clearly didn't tell that to the driver! He made me load them into the van myself, then spent the entire trip telling the whole van that we had better give him a good tip. I can't remember how much we gave, but he then yelled at us and threw the money on the ground. After that, we vowed to only use private transportation. We have used Karmel every time (3 trips now) with a private van, and I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Your trip sounds fantastic, although I do wonder if 4 days might be a bit too long for Knott's Berry Farm. However, others who have been there recently might be able to tell you better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter