Our delicious Deluxe Dining Adventures! Lots of pics! Final thoughts - All Done!!

Thank you so much for the CM breakfast review...DH picked it for our departure breakfast next month..I really wanted to go back to Boma but he said he wanted to give it a try...I think he is wanted to check every restaurant off his list :lmao:

I would just like to say how much I am enjoying your reviews - and I loved your TR, too!

We had been considering the Deluxe DDP for our May vacation for the 8 day portion we'll be on the dining plan. I loved planning everything but started realizing that if we wanted to do everything on our list we'd be missing out on some CS favorites and would literally be eating for our entire vacation (not that this is a BAD thing....:rotfl: ). Your comments have really helped me realize that scaling back to the regular DDP and just having some of our favorite breakfasts OOP is definitely right for us.

So happy to see your report has lots to go!

just read all of it so far. I will have to include SCI-Fi inour plans now!

you like the as food as me, so i have loved your selection. Looking forward to more.

we've never been to CM because neither of us have any interest in it but i'm sure we'll go when we have kids. i LOVE character meals but CM just never appealed to me. the food looks good though so it's good to know when we do go that we'll have a good meal!

the character interaction (or lack of it) happened to us at tusker house in december. we were there with my best friend, her hubby and their 4yo DS. well, goofy stopped by and said hello to their DS and i took a picture, then he just walked right past me and ray!!! i couldn't believe it. he was at the table right behind us and i said something like, "i'm gonna say something to him because i didn't pay $18.99 per person just for breakfast - that price includes the characters." i think he heard me because he came back but he was in such a rush that we didn't even get a chance to get out of our chairs (where were sort of in a corner) and the picture looks just stupid. that's the only time we've ever experienced a snub by a character so we've been lucky.

Was the sun shining in DH's face all through breakfast or just for the pics?

I can't stand it when the sun is in my face while I'm eating. I'm such a crankypants!

I'm pleasantly surprised with the looks of the food here...maybe you both just have excellent taste and only pick the good stuff! :snooty:

Great review again - we have a DD but even so the interaction is sometimes little more that a quick photo & wave.
Just a question - did you artfully arrange your food just for the camera??:rotfl:

Haaa! No, I didn't artfully arrange my food for the camera!! :lmao:
I have a tendency to make things neat unknowingly. I like things to be tidy and organised!! I didn't want my potatoes touching my French toast, or it would make the French toast soggy! :rolleyes1

:rotfl: When I saw your plate, I was thinking, "Man, I want some of those potatoes. I love those things!" Then reading on a little further, I realized I'd be preaching to the choir. They ARE awesome.
And I solemnly promise to make an effort to try a funnel cake this time. My only problem is that the American Adventure is right by my very favorite dessert at Epcot--France's crepe cart. :thumbsup2 I love those things with chocolate and strawberry sauce.

You can always have the French crepe AND a funnel cake!!! Hehee! :thumbsup2
And yep, those potatoes were great!! Are you going to Chef Mickeys this trip?

We have teenagers who still insist at times that we go to CM's. Last time we were placed in the same area you guys were in and we felt like we were put in the Twilight Zone. We just weren't feeling the Disney love tucked away back there. I'm glad you enjoyed the food, but totally understand about the atmosphere and character interaction. We've noticed as our kids got older, the characters stayed for less and less time at the table and yes, if you don't have your camera whipped out and ready to go, some will fly right by you. :sad2:

Ooh, I didn't realise where we were was any different to other sections! I thought they all must have been like that. I'm glad it wasn't just me who noticed the lack of character interaction!

Just subscribing!popcorn::

Welcome! popcorn::

Thank you so much for the CM breakfast review...DH picked it for our departure breakfast next month..I really wanted to go back to Boma but he said he wanted to give it a try...I think he is wanted to check every restaurant off his list :lmao:

Ooh, I hope you have a better time with the characters than we did! Enjoy the food though - it was yummy! :thumbsup2

I would just like to say how much I am enjoying your reviews - and I loved your TR, too!
We had been considering the Deluxe DDP for our May vacation for the 8 day portion we'll be on the dining plan. I loved planning everything but started realizing that if we wanted to do everything on our list we'd be missing out on some CS favorites and would literally be eating for our entire vacation (not that this is a BAD thing....:rotfl: ). Your comments have really helped me realize that scaling back to the regular DDP and just having some of our favorite breakfasts OOP is definitely right for us.
So happy to see your report has lots to go!

Hey!! Thanks for stopping by! :yay:
I totally agree with your thoughts about Deluxe vs the Regular Dining Plan. Next time I'd totally do what you're doing - go with the regular plan, and just pay OOP for any extra meals we really wanted to do.

just read all of it so far. I will have to include SCI-Fi inour plans now!
you like the as food as me, so i have loved your selection. Looking forward to more.

Welcome! :woohoo:
Glad you're enjoying it so far! I hope you have a blast at Sci-Fi!

we've never been to CM because neither of us have any interest in it but i'm sure we'll go when we have kids. i LOVE character meals but CM just never appealed to me. the food looks good though so it's good to know when we do go that we'll have a good meal!

the character interaction (or lack of it) happened to us at tusker house in december. we were there with my best friend, her hubby and their 4yo DS. well, goofy stopped by and said hello to their DS and i took a picture, then he just walked right past me and ray!!! i couldn't believe it. he was at the table right behind us and i said something like, "i'm gonna say something to him because i didn't pay $18.99 per person just for breakfast - that price includes the characters." i think he heard me because he came back but he was in such a rush that we didn't even get a chance to get out of our chairs (where were sort of in a corner) and the picture looks just stupid. that's the only time we've ever experienced a snub by a character so we've been lucky.

It's a bit sad when the characters don't seem very characterish, isn't it?!
We had a few moments with characters at breakfasts when I just didn't know if I should get out of my chair. Hehee. It felt silly to sit down, but the characters came by so quickly that it would have been weird to stand up, too!! :confused3

Was the sun shining in DH's face all through breakfast or just for the pics?
I can't stand it when the sun is in my face while I'm eating. I'm such a crankypants!
I'm pleasantly surprised with the looks of the food here...maybe you both just have excellent taste and only pick the good stuff! :snooty:

Of course we have excellent taste!!! :santa:
And yep, the sun was in DH's face the whole time! He couldn't have been hot though, because his sweater is still on in all the photos. :confused3

Thanks to everybody for reading along! Can you believe we're not even half way there yet!? Still so many restaurants to go! So much food!!!! popcorn::

Next up... Afternoon snacks and Raglan Road!

Another great review!! I also ate at Chef Mickey's although I was in a more open sitting area. I have to agree the food was fantastic!!!! I also have to agree on the character interaction, a lot of it was hit or miss LOL!!!!! Mickey was fantastic others just stopped and posed for a picture and then moved on!!!!!

Another great review!! I also ate at Chef Mickey's although I was in a more open sitting area. I have to agree the food was fantastic!!!! I also have to agree on the character interaction, a lot of it was hit or miss LOL!!!!! Mickey was fantastic others just stopped and posed for a picture and then moved on!!!!!

Hi!! :banana:
"Hit or miss" is definitely a good way to describe the character interaction at Chef Mickeys. I'm sorry to hear you had the same experience as us! :confused3

Next review coming up now! :surfweb:

To answer your question... this was our third trip to America, so we kind of knew what to expect food-wise. It's not really that different to the food we serve here in Australia. BUT!!! The one thing we were constantly surprised at is the serving size. We've never gotten over the massive servings you get in America!! There have been many times where we've received our meals, and we just couldn't help but laugh. SO big!! Then it's awkward because there's no way I could finish a meal like that. Servers usually say something like, "Didn't you like it?!" And we have to explain that we're not used to such big servings!

Breakfast food in America is pretty different, actually. Here in Australia, we're used to cereal or toast, or if we're really spoiling ourselves, eggs and bacon. So we were surprised by seeing breakfast pizzas, breakfast steaks, breakfast donuts, breakfast lasagnes... ahhh!

I often think that if Americans come to Australia, they must be horrified by our small meals and our piddly little breakfasts! Heh! Plus, we don't get free soft drink refills either! Wah!

I have to agree with the size of the meals here-too much! I would love to pay less and have the option of smaller portions.

I will say that seeing all the large meals has actually helped me plan a trip to Disney in May and book fewer restaurants. My 22 year old daughter and I will do some meal sharing,take our own snacks-pretzels, nuts and raisins, and just book one meal a day to relax and enjoy. No meal plan for us!

pirate:

To answer your question... this was our third trip to America, so we kind of knew what to expect food-wise. It's not really that different to the food we serve here in Australia. BUT!!! The one thing we were constantly surprised at is the serving size. We've never gotten over the massive servings you get in America!! There have been many times where we've received our meals, and we just couldn't help but laugh. SO big!! Then it's awkward because there's no way I could finish a meal like that. Servers usually say something like, "Didn't you like it?!" And we have to explain that we're not used to such big servings!

Breakfast food in America is pretty different, actually. Here in Australia, we're used to cereal or toast, or if we're really spoiling ourselves, eggs and bacon. So we were surprised by seeing breakfast pizzas, breakfast steaks, breakfast donuts, breakfast lasagnes... ahhh!

I often think that if Americans come to Australia, they must be horrified by our small meals and our piddly little breakfasts! Heh! Plus, we don't get free soft drink refills either! Wah!

I have to agree with the size of the meals here-too much! I would love to pay less and have the option of smaller portions.

I will say that seeing all the large meals has actually helped me plan a trip to Disney in May and book fewer restaurants. My 22 year old daughter and I will do some meal sharing,take our own snacks-pretzels, nuts and raisins, and just book one meal a day to relax and enjoy. No meal plan for us!

pirate:

So after our big Chef Mickey's breakfast at 11am, we really didn't feel like lunch! This was our day off from the parks, and we didn't really have any definite plans, which was lovely! We ended up having no lunch, but had some snacks that afternoon instead. :cool1:

Our first snack was around the Wilderness Lodge pool. We went to the Trout Pass Pool Bar and bought 2 frozen non-alcoholic cocktails...

IMG_9409.jpg

IMG_9408.jpg

The drink on the left was an Orange Creamsicle - I can't remember exactly what was in it, but it was orangey and creamy and fantastic!!! I loved it!!

And on the right is a Pina Colava - a non-alcoholic pina colada mix with raspberry puree. This was also great, but not as good as my Orange Creamsicle! :goodvibes

Later that afternoon we headed to Downtown Disney, to shop and play, and also because we had an ADR for Raglan Road that evening. But before any of that, I just had to stop at Cookes of Dublin for a Doh Bar!!

IMG_9413.jpg

I'd heard all about these on the DIS boards and just had to try one. A deep fried Snickers bar!? Haaaa! Seriously, who wouldn't want to try one!? :yay:

Unexpectedly, we waited a long time at Cookes of Dublin for my Doh Bar to be cooked. There was hardly anyone else in the little restaurant, but it took a long time! Nevertheless, it arrived eventually, and it was actually quite delicious!! I'd heard reports that it wasn't that great, but I liked it! Soft, warm, melty chocolate with peanuts - yum! :thumbsup2

We used a snack credit for this and shared it - plenty big enough for both of us to share.

We loved our afternoon snacks!! :woohoo:

It sounds like the Doh bar is like having a deep fried Mars bar. Looks a little different, but same premise I guess. Glad to hear you liked it. I may have to try it out on our next trip. So many goodies, so little time when at Disney! ;)

The drinks look great...although I think I would have wanted booze in mine!

Later that evening, we headed to Raglan Road for our ADR. Woohoo!!

IMG_9415.jpg

We had been to Raglan Road during our first trip to Disney in 2006, and really loved it. So when planning this trip, we knew Raglan Road was a definite must-do again! :thumbsup2

We checked in a few minutes before our ADR time, and were seated pretty much straight away. We were seated towards the back of the restaurant, near the bar. It was nice and cosy, but a little bit sad because we couldn't see the Irish band! Never mind, we could hear them and it was still fun!

I just love the atmosphere of this restaurant. It's a typical Irish pub, with lovely dark wood furniture and friendly, relaxed servers. There's Irish music, lots of laughter, and the whole place feels so warm and inviting. Like you could easily settle in for the night! Everybody in there seems to be having a fun time - servers and diners alike!

So we met our server - who was lovely, but not Irish. Heh, never mind! We ordered some drinks to start. I chose a Chocolate Martini, which had Baileys, Kahlua, Vodka and Ice-cream. Yum! My kind of drink!

IMG_9416.jpg

DH decided to splurge and have a beer flight!

IMG_9417.jpg

It was an Irish beer flight and I can't remember any of the beers included except for Guiness! Oh dear, sorry! He really liked them all though - obviously!!

IMG_9433.jpg

After our drinks came the bread. Hmmmm. Really, they tasted like hard little rocks of wheat and grains! Hehee. Ew. My sister lives in Ireland and I've been there a few times - I've never had bread like this in Ireland!!! :confused3

IMG_9427.jpg

And then, appetizer time!! When we were there in 2006, they let me order the Dalkey Duo, even though they served 2 - cute little battered sausages, which were delicious! But this time I wasn't allowed to order them by myself! Booo! I don't really understand that concept, since they were cheaper than half the food on the appetizer for 1 section! :confused3

Never mind, DH and I both ordered the Drunk Chicken - a whiskey glazed chicken kebab served with lime cilantro dipping sauce.

IMG_9422.jpg

These were nice, but very big and heavy for an appetizer! I only ate 2 of my chicken skewers and that was plenty.

While we were eating, the Irish band was playing some very fun Irish songs and the whole place was abuzz with activity! I went to the bathroom at one stage, and there was even some Irish stand-up comedy in the bathroom!! Well, a recording being played over the speakers, anyway. Funny!!

So for my main, I chose the Pie in the Sky - chicken and wild mushroom pie served with a rocket lettuce salad...

IMG_9432.jpg

YUM!!! I loved this! I just love chicken pies, and Australia just doesn't make them like America does!! I don't really know if it's an Irish speciality, but I didn't really mind, either! It was creamy with great chicken pieces, and the pastry was flaky and delicious. :thumbsup2

DH ordered the Keen Eye for the Shepherds Pie...

IMG_9429.jpg

I had ordered this in 2006 and we both loved it then, so DH decided to order it again. I'm not much of a red-meat fan but this is great! He gobbled the whole thing up - a definite winner!

By this stage, we were both totally full, but of course we had dessert to come. Waah!

I'd been looking forward to trying my dessert for so long. I'd heard sooo much about it here on the DIS boards and heard it was the most incredible dessert ever. Can you guess what it is? You're right! Ger's Bread & Butter Pudding!!

IMG_9436.jpg

So the verdict?! It was just as I'd imagined! Really, really yummy! I just loved the sauces and the bread pudding was soft and warm and just right. But!! I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I don't think it's as good as the 'Ohana bread pudding! 'Ohana's bread pudding just has that extra something that Raglan Road didn't have!

I think one problem might have been that it was a bit difficult to eat. I made a hole in the bread and poured some of the sauces down there like my server told me to, but then it was so messy and tricky to eat! There was literally no room in the mug to put my spoon in to get the bread out - as soon as I'd put my spoon in, the sauces would overflow and it was all a bit messy! Also, my bread went a bit soggy after a little while because the sauces had all sank to the bottom. It was still great, don't get me wrong! Just maybe not as good as 'Ohana's bread pudding!

Anyway, DH chose the same as he had last time for his dessert - the Dunbrody Kiss!

IMG_9438.jpg

It's basically really, really rich chocolate, covered in more chocolate. DH is a big chocolate person so he adores this dessert. Even though it's small, it's really rich and he didn't manage to eat it all. I had a taste and nearly died from chocolate overload!!

We had a blast at Raglan Road. It was just as great as we'd remembered. Fun, relaxed and friendly, with fabulous food! We'd definitely head back there again in a flash! :cool1:

We gave Raglan Road 5 smiley men out of 5! :) :) :) :) :)

Next up... our treats from Goofy's Candy Co.!

Oh, that bread pudding is so wonderful! Too bad on our next trip I didn't make ADRs for RR. We'll have the kids along and they are picky eaters so I just didn't think they would enjoy the food. Plus, the noise would be a bit too much for them :confused: , BUT it's ok because we are trying O'hana for the first time so I get me some bread pudding anyway!! YAY! :cool1:

Thanks for the Raglan Road review. I'm hoping to get over there for lunch one day. I've had my eye on that chicken and wild rice pie, too. ;)

I've been lurking but had to sign on to tell you I'm lovin your reviews! :thumbsup2

Raglan Road is on my must-do list for next trip. Anybody know what time the band and dancers start? And is all the entertainment "teen-appropriate"?

We loved Raglan Road too! I had the Shepard's pie and the Bread Pudding!:thumbsup2 Great Review and pictures! I wish I could go there for lunch today!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter