Our Apr/May non DDP dining experience (Boma, CRT, 'Ohana, R & C, Tony's etc.)

U2_rocks!

<font color=coral>The DISer formerly known as U2_r
We just got back from a 2 week trip to Orlando and Disney. My Dad was with us, and he has many, many food allergies. I have posted a meal report for his special meals on the Disabilities Board.

Below is our experience with restaurants in Orlando and WDW, not on the DDP:

Liberty Tree Tavern (lunch): 11.30 ADR

This was pretty good. I had the William Penn Pasta, which I liked, and I have since gotten the recipe from Allearsnet. DH had a sandwich, probably the tricorner, and the kids had pizza. Mum had the same plain turkey meal that was done for Dad, and she really liked it. Service was fine, slightly slow b/c they were busy, but not bad – it was nice to be able to sit in a cool restaurant and take a break.

‘Ohana (character breakfast): 8.10 ADR

This was a nice breakfast – the eggs, Mickey waffles, French toast sticks etc. were all good. The kids enjoyed the dance around the room with the maracas. They were a little tired though, and weren’t as hungry as they usually are in the morning. I’m not sure we got our money’s worth – this might have been better done on a non park day, where we could have had a later ADR. We also forgot our camera, so we never got pics of the kids with the characters!

Tony’s: 7.50 ADR

We made this ADR to be near the bottom of Main St. for Spectro and Wishes. With our kids so young, we didn’t want to be stuck out in Frontierland and have to wait for ages until the park cleared. Mum and I had a chicken pasta dish that we both enjoyed, but it was HUGE, so we took home the leftovers. Dad had a plain steak done for him, which he enjoyed. DS had the spaghetti and meatballs, and the girls had the mac and cheese. They were fine. I can’t remember what DH had, but he didn’t complain about it in any way, so it was fine. We enjoyed our dinner – I have nothing bad to say about Tony’s. Sure it’s not cheap, but hardly anywhere in Disney is.

After dinner we relaxed in the rocking chairs on the porch, and when Spectro started we put the kids up on the balcony rail and we watched from the balcony. It wasn’t a perfect view, but it was good enough. Dad went closer to get some pics, but the rest of us were happy with what we saw from our non-crowded vantage point! It would have been nice to have been seated on the balcony for dinner, but it wasn’t to be, and it worked out OK anyway.

Rose & Crown: 7.30 ADR

The kids enjoyed fish and chips here, except for our youngest, who doesn’t like fish – I can’t remember what we ordered her instead. I had pork, which was nice, and DH had fish and chips as well. We didn’t get patio seating, but we did get to watch Illuminations from the little patio to the side. We had to lift the girls up, as they are quite small, and it was a good thing I was watching the time and asked to go onto the patio before they started telling all the other diners they could go – I wouldn’t have wanted to be standing any further back on this patio. My advice: head to the patio early!

Boma (Animal Kingdom Lodge): 7.20 ADR

Wonderful dinner! We loved the butternut squash soup (I now have the recipe – thanks Allears!), and DH loved the curried coconut seafood stew. Katie loved the purple cabbage in one of the salads – she’s our picky eater, so we were surprised! The kids ate a variety of stuff from the adult side – we refused to let them eat only kid stuff. We all ate really well here, and were too full for a lot of dessert. DH was slightly disappointed that the food wasn’t as spicy as he likes, but he still enjoyed his meal. This food is definitely not extremely exotic and spicy – it is only moderately so. The chef was amazing with what he created specially for Dad (details in my allergy report on the Disabilities Board).

Cinderella’s Royal Table (breakfast): 8.30 ADR

The food here was quite good too – normal breakfast fare. We enjoyed it. We had Snow White, Belle (blue dress), Aurora and the Fairy Godmother circulating. The girls were thrilled to meet Cinderella in the lobby. They liked that they were given wands and wishing stars (it made them feel special). They wore their Cinderella and Aurora dresses over clothes, so they could take them off later. We had a good time. I was glad we did it once, but I won’t need to spend that kind of money on breakfast again!

Tea at the Garden View Lounge, Grand Floridian Hotel

Wow, what a fabulous afternoon! When we arrived they weren’t quite ready for us, so we strolled over to the pianist playing in the large ground floor lobby area. When he saw the kids he asked them what their favourite Disney songs were, and played a couple for them! Our table was right by the lovely big glass windows, so we had a view of the pool area and resort. We could also still hear the pianist, and when he took breaks the little orchestra upstairs would kick in. The girls wore their princess dresses again – they love dressing up!

Our server brought a box full of little bottles of tea leaves for us to smell, to see what kind of tea we might like to choose. We all chose the special Grand Floridian blend – it was closer to “regular” tea. We aren’t that found of herbal and overly fragrant tea. We all enjoyed it. I had the Grand Tea, so I got some sparkling wine too! Even the kids drank hot tea like us, from the same pot – they love tea! The sandwiches are interesting – not what you eat everyday. E.g. pear with gorgonzola, cucumber with watercress. The jam tart and scone with cream and strawberry jam were divine! The pastries were yummy. But the absolute best thing was the English trifle – it was amazing! I have got to write Disney for that recipe! It was all of our favourite thing, but we didn’t have enough space to finish it! Only Mum and Dad ordered it (the rest of us had the pastries instead), but it was too much for them and they shared with us. Even then, there was some left back!

While we were eating we saw the white carriage pulled by white horses pass right by on its way to the wedding pavilion – the girls were thrilled! They also enjoyed strolling out to the little beach and swinging in the hammock, and then climbing into the white carriage that’s parked at the ground floor entrance. We got a marvellous photo of the girls sitting in the carriage wearing their princess garb!

Great reviews! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to have to head over to the DISabilities board to read the dining report on your dad's food.

Great report! I'm so glad you reviewed the GF tea cause we are doing that on our next trip and I didn't quite know what to order. I have the menu. Can you tell me what you ordered from that. Was it just the pastries?
Thanks,
mousiemom

Great report! I'm so glad you reviewed the GF tea cause we are doing that on our next trip and I didn't quite know what to order. I have the menu. Can you tell me what you ordered from that. Was it just the pastries?
Thanks,
mousiemom

I had the Grand Tea. The only choices to make are what tea to have and what dessert to have. The dessert choices are either 2 pastries from a tiered tray that they bring around, or the trifle. You don't have to decide up front - you can wait and see the pastries before you decide. The pastries are things like eclairs, pastry swans filled with raspberry mousse, tiramisu squares etc.

The Buckingham tea is what the others had - it's a lot like the Grand, except no sparkling wine. The kids had Mrs. Potts, which didn't include the jam tart and scone - but I shared mine!

Sounds good!! What did you wear to the tea? We are thinking about capris pants and a nice shirt.
mousiemom

Sounds good!! What did you wear to the tea? We are thinking about capris pants and a nice shirt.
mousiemom

You don't need to dress up. I wore capris and a simple top. The room was too nice to feel like wearing shorts, but I'm sure some people do. The room was quite cool though (good a/c!), so Mum was glad she had brought her cardigan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter