Our 11 Day Deluxe Dining Report With Pics! *Update 5/1 Complete*

Have to agree with you and others that the Kona service leaves quite a bit to be desired. I get the distinct feeling I'm in a diner along I-95, only with a slight tropical twist. Thanks for the reviews so far. :)

Oooh I hope you know how lucky you are ! Thanks for taking time to let us share.

Somehow I missed your report up until now, but I am all caught up! Bummer about Yachtsman and Cali Grill. While it seemed that some of the food dishes were good, the service was sub-par. The vomit experience was soooo gross! DH and I are dining at both of those restaurants this week, so I hope we have better experiences. Thank you for the reviews. Look forward to reading more! :thumbsup2

Having lived and drank in Wisconsin my whole life (that sounds bad doesn't it?) I have never had or seen a whiskey sour with a marinated mushroom. I feel cheated now,lol. A bloody Mary for sure but never a Whiskey sour, does that really taste good? I'lll have to try I guess....QUOTE]

I suppose it would be more accurate to say that they are served with whatever you normally take them with. So if you prefer mushrooms, they are always available. I've also seen them with olives and onions....I'm not a whiskey drinker, so I can't comment on if any of them actually taste good. My father was always a whiskey sour with mushroom guy too though.

As far as the spewage went... I think it wouldn't have bothered me nearly as much if there would have been efforts to do something after the towels were placed. From the time the towels went down to the time we got our check and made our exit took about 15 minutes and all the while they just sat there and everyone went about their business. I have no idea what happened after we left though.

Ok, I admit that I've never been to WI, but I have traveled to a lot of other places and I have never seen, nor heard of marinated mushrooms with a whiskey sour! I have only seen marichino cherries and orange slices. I worked at a TGI Fridays in the summer during college and our bar didn't even have marinated mushrooms. Cherries, olives, onions, fruit slices of all kinds but no mushrooms. How interesting that is a common thing in WI. :goodvibes

Oh, forgot to add that I love your reviews. Also I agree that the sushi thing was weird. I have never had a server comment on uneaten food like that. Just weird.

Jessica, I am enjoying your reviews. I hope you will have time to complete your reviews.
We are currently debating on upgrading to the deluxe dining plan. I just don't think we can do it though. The time commitment, and all the food. I wish there was a plan, between the regular dining plan and the deluxe.

LOVE your reviews. You have chosen a lot of things I would choose and now I'm starting to rethink some of my restaurant choices based on your photos and meal descriptions! Can't wait to read more!

Glad you started back up on your reviews! I am just now seeing yours and love it so far. I can't believe what happened to you at Yachtsman! That is absolutely terrible. I don't think I could have stayed after that. I probably would have asked for our desserts to be boxed and bolted for the door!

While we LOVE California Grill, my least favorite part about the restaurant is the servers. Both times we've been we have had very professional and polite servers, but they lacked any sort of friendly quality. I know it's an upscale restaurant. I just don't understand why they take themselves so seriously.

We're thinking of doing the Deluxe Plan for our upcoming trip so I have enjoyed all of your reviews. I'm trying to figure out which Signature restaurants we want to do. You're helping me with that! :goodvibes

Can't wait for more!

I really like your dining reviews. You chose a lot of the same places I would have chosen if we did DxDP. So sorry to hear about your experience at the Yachtsman!!! yuck!!!

I just want to comment on the wishes dessert party. We had the exact same experience as you. We arrived early, (booked well in advanced), had a lovely table with a PERFECT view. Then about 20 minutes before time, a huge or junior high school group with 1 chaperone (like 15-20 kids) piled in in front of our table!!! Some of them pulling up chairs and sitting on the backs of them obviously obstructing ours and everyone else's views. :scared1: My DH wondered how junior high kids could even afford the Wishes Dessert Party! UGH! While we enjoyed our desserts soo very much and had the PERFECT table, the fact that it comes down to pushing and shoving to get a good spot was frustrating, especially as a family of 5 we paid @100 bucks for basically the dessert! We made the best of it but boy was the dad at the next table MAD!!! I am sure Disney heard from him!!!

Anyway, continue you on with your great reviews. So glad you decided to finish!!!

Wishes was such a huge let down for me. I did get a great video of Tink flying over head, but I really just felt like we were surrounded by ravenous wolves who hadn't eaten for days. And then we still ended up having to stand quite awhile to ensure we got a good view. We are now planning another trip for December of this year (HUGE surprise!) but this absolutely will not be included. I would much rather spring for the Christmas Party instead.

Your reviews have been great. On every trip I've ever taken to Kona, our server has disappeared for extended periods of time. It wasn't so bad when I was dining with two other adults, but it does present a problem when my DH and I had breakfast and dinner there last June with our DS5 and DD3.
Was Cousin Tom your server at PTC? He was ours in June 2006 and was hilarious. We also had a visit with Cousin Mark, another one of their servers who is *really* in character. I may have to get that seafood salad after reading your review. I have been eyeing it up for a while now.
DH and I have stopped going to CG, somewhat in part because of the service. Our last server seemed to be very put out that we weren't doing wine pairings and weren't having a five course meal. She rubbed me the wrong way from the get-go. That said, our new favorite is Narcoossee's, so much so that we dined there two nights in a row last summer. I dream about that almond crusted cheesecake.
I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your rewiews!

Oh my gosh too funny! Server was Tom, and I really do think Mark was the server next to him. Tom was funny, when he was around. But Mark had the whole sarcastic bit down pat. We dined at Ed Debevic's in Chicago a few times and let me tell you, that place was hilarious, but a little less family friendly than Disney was. I think Tom could have stepped it up a notch with us. But overall, we were really impressed, even shocked really, with the food at 50s. Thanks for the recommendation on Narcoossee's, we had originally planned to go there but switched that out for Yachtsman instead :scared1:

Have to agree with you and others that the Kona service leaves quite a bit to be desired. I get the distinct feeling I'm in a diner along I-95, only with a slight tropical twist. Thanks for the reviews so far. :)

And it really is such a shame isn't it? I thought our food was so tasty, and it really did remind me of when I was in Hawaii, but it was not worth the stress of missing the opening at Magic Kingdom.

Oooh I hope you know how lucky you are ! Thanks for taking time to let us share.

Lol, are you referring to my post not being locked? I know! I had a whole "speech" prepared to beg for mercy to finish my reviews, but thankfully it wasn't needed.

Somehow I missed your report up until now, but I am all caught up! Bummer about Yachtsman and Cali Grill. While it seemed that some of the food dishes were good, the service was sub-par. The vomit experience was soooo gross! DH and I are dining at both of those restaurants this week, so I hope we have better experiences. Thank you for the reviews. Look forward to reading more! :thumbsup2

In retrospect now, that experience was gross, but a few reviewers on here did point out that it was probably more for safety reasons to prevent someone from falling more than anything else. Now that we are looking at another trip, I can't say for certain we would exclude Yachtsman if we had the room for 2 credits. My food was absolutely delicious. Every restaurant has to have a bad night.

Ok, I admit that I've never been to WI, but I have traveled to a lot of other places and I have never seen, nor heard of marinated mushrooms with a whiskey sour! I have only seen marichino cherries and orange slices. I worked at a TGI Fridays in the summer during college and our bar didn't even have marinated mushrooms. Cherries, olives, onions, fruit slices of all kinds but no mushrooms. How interesting that is a common thing in WI. :goodvibes

Oh, forgot to add that I love your reviews. Also I agree that the sushi thing was weird. I have never had a server comment on uneaten food like that. Just weird.

I am beginning to wonder if I am just surrounded by weirdos that always have to have pickled mushrooms whether it goes with a drink or not? I have found when I travel though it is next to impossible to find a pickled mushroom, and very rare to find marinated mushrooms outside of Wisconsin.

Jessica, I am enjoying your reviews. I hope you will have time to complete your reviews.
We are currently debating on upgrading to the deluxe dining plan. I just don't think we can do it though. The time commitment, and all the food. I wish there was a plan, between the regular dining plan and the deluxe.

I think a lot of it would really depend on what time of year you are going. And whether or not you are going with children. We went during "value-season" (Aug 21-31) and used Ridemax. We usually had an early morning breakfast (730 or 805) then tried to do lunch at 130. We were also at the park for rope drop every morning but 1. Usine ridemax we were able to get to all the rides we wanted to usually before our lunch ADR. Then we would hop back to the hotel for a pool break in the afternoon and most often had a signature for dinner. That being said, if we had kids that wanted to see every show, this probably would have been 1) exhausting and 2) too much sitting time for them.

LOVE your reviews. You have chosen a lot of things I would choose and now I'm starting to rethink some of my restaurant choices based on your photos and meal descriptions! Can't wait to read more!

Oh that was soooo my problem before we left, I was ALWAYS tweaking times and places based off reviews!

Glad you started back up on your reviews! I am just now seeing yours and love it so far. I can't believe what happened to you at Yachtsman! That is absolutely terrible. I don't think I could have stayed after that. I probably would have asked for our desserts to be boxed and bolted for the door!

While we LOVE California Grill, my least favorite part about the restaurant is the servers. Both times we've been we have had very professional and polite servers, but they lacked any sort of friendly quality. I know it's an upscale restaurant. I just don't understand why they take themselves so seriously.

We're thinking of doing the Deluxe Plan for our upcoming trip so I have enjoyed all of your reviews. I'm trying to figure out which Signature restaurants we want to do. You're helping me with that! :goodvibes

Can't wait for more!

So glad I could help. It was one reason I started back up. First, because I used these reviews SO much in my own planning, I felt bad for not giving back, and two, because I really want to do a Pre-Dining Report for our next trip and would totally feel bad for starting a new review before the old was finished.
-------------------------------------

So next up is going to be the Grand Floridian Cafe, and another day at Epcot.

So, this marked the very first (and only) time that we didn't make rope drop in the morning. However, this was our 2nd of 3 days at Epcot, and honestly, I just didn't see the need. We (Adam) had an unfortunate experience on the GREEN version of Mission Space the first day, so I will never be able to get him to ride that again and the other rides were just so so for us, so need to rush first thing in the morning to see them all again. Anyways, on to the FOOD!

We originally had 7AM reservations at GFC :scared1:. I called the night before and had them moved to 9AM without any problems. It also gave us lots of time to explore the Grand. What a beautiful property!

Bear with me today as well, I don't have my receipts with me so will come back in to add that info later on.

So, for breakfast, Adam had:
DisneyworldAugust2010-2489.jpg

Eggs Benedict - Two Poached Eggs on a Toasted English Muffin with Canadian Bacon and Hollandaise Sauce served with Asparagus $10.99

I had originally booked here for the lobster eggs benedict, which at the time of reservation, was made with just lobster. They had since changed it to a bread pudding, which our waitress told us had not gotten rave reviews.

This was average and really nothing special about it, except it comes with asparagus. I don't know, I really love asparagus, but its just not a breakfast food.

I had
DisneyworldAugust2010-2490.jpg

Maple-Vanilla French Toast - Challah Bread dipped in Maple and Vanilla flavored Batter with Bacon or Sausage $10.99

It was french toast. But again, nothing all that special. And I was miffed that I asked to sub some type of fruit instead of the breakfast meats, and was de-NIED. Kind of annoying.

Overall, from food to service, we felt impartial. Nothing was outstanding. Nothing was terrible. :confused3 That being said, was it worth a bus ride and a monorail trip from the Pop? You bet not.

So, now we will go head to head with Via Napoli. I loooooooooooooooove Italian food, so rather than trying to decide, we booked both.

First, what is UP with the olives here? They are delicious, but I don't understand why you would serve unpitted olives and not have a place to put the pits? I had to hide mine behind my water glass until she brought plates out about when our app was delivered. Was it server error or is this how it always is?

So, after learning from our experience at Via we SHARED this:
DisneyworldAugust2010-2531.jpg

Antipasto Misto - generous platter of appetizers and Italian specialties, serves two $25

A DELICIOUS serving of cannelinni (spell check) beans, prosciutto, salamis, artichokes, mushrooms, peppers, mozzarella, asiago, parmesan and bleu cheeses. And I am sure I forgot a few things. I made myself little sandwiches on the thing slices of Italian bread, and was in heaven. Thank GOD we shared this otherwise would have done me in.

On to Entree's.

I went with this:
DisneyworldAugust2010-2533.jpg

Gnocchi Verdi Grataniti - baked spinach potato gnocchi, fontina, parmesan, mozzarella, gorgonzola $21

I will never be able to order Gnocchi anywhere else ever again. The Gnocchi I have always had was very dense and heavy. These Gnocchi were light as air, but the sauce was incredibly rich. It had a lovely "bite" to it though from the Gorgonzola. Even though, it was too much for me to finish, even when portioned for a lunch size.

Adam, feeling pretty overwhelmed from the app, had this minus the grilled chicken:
DisneyworldAugust2010-2534.jpg

Insalata della Casa con Pollo - chopped grilled chicken with salad greens, tomatoes, beans, olives and citrus dressing $19

This was very light and refreshing and another MASSIVE portion, particularly for a salad.

And on to dessert:

I had this:
DisneyworldAugust2010-2536.jpg

Its no longer on the menu, but was listed as a Panna Cotta. Now, Panna Cotta is supposed to be firm, but still slightly wobbly. That way when you eat it, its just is soft and luscious and melts in your mouth. This was as firm as could be, almost the consistency of sorbet. However, the flavor was very good, and the mixed berry sauce matched nicely with it.

Adam had this:
DisneyworldAugust2010-2535.jpg

Gianduja - Chocolate Torta - chocolate and hazelnut torte with whipped cream and raspberry sauce $10

Delicious, however I really could not taste any hazelnut in it, which was disappointing because it is one of my favorites.

So overall, I just don't think you can compare Via Napoli and Tutto Italia, they are very very different.

Via Napoli is bright and vibrant, and the star is pizza. Tutto is dark and subdued, and focuses on pasta dishes. I would return to either.

Enjoying your reviews. Have only dined at YS and CG once, two years ago, and service was good. I thought the sides at YS were more memorable than the steaks, but we really enjoyed the bottle of Laughing Magpie. At CG I had the Spicy Kazan(excellent), and DW enjoyed Yoshie's platter. While we were waiting for dessert, Yoshie came to our table to confirm that the sushi had met our expectations. Sorry to hear your experience was not the same. Thanks again for sharing!!

Also, when I order a gin martini, I request mushrooms instead of olives :)

Loving your review! What a beautiful couple! Sorry you had a few negative experiences. I don't mind too much about slow or less-than-friendly servers, but, coming from someone who routinely tips over 20 percent in Disney, I would NOT have tipped your lecturer. How rude!

Loving your reviews!

Your Yachtsman experience was unbelievable! Sorry you had that experience.

Guess what...we also had "Uncle Dave" for breakfast at the Kona Cafe in December. I didnt name him by name in my review I think. Just as your service, he always disapppeared on us, could never be found etc. Hmm, seems like that is his standard method of operation:rotfl2:.

I like your advice, make sure not to request him next time. (we are going again in May). Not only did he disappear on us and never clean the plates too, he never brought out extra butter and syrup like we asked and worst...he kept touching my L shoulder. Inappropraite in itself, but add in the fact I had cancer surgery and everyone knows not to touch my L shoulder due to the nerve damage etc. DH and I could never say anything to him as we were always eating when he did it.

So looks like everyone needs to heed the warning....BEWARE OF UNCLE DAVE AT THE KONA CAFE!!

Looking forward to the rest of your review.

So, next up on our culinary journey was a trip to Le Cellier. Adam was very excited, because of course, they are all about the steaks here. I was shocked that with a 6:30 PM reservation, we were seated right away. Our server was Jill, and she was AWESOME!! We really liked the youthful atmosphere with the waitstaff here. Jill was very attentive, but not intrusive, super friendly, and very knowledgable about the food here. Over the course of our whole trip, Jill got the highest tip % wise.

Anyhow, on to the food!

For beverages, I went with a smoothie, the Red Maple.
Red Maple - Raspberry smoothie with a splash of Sprite $4.29
Yummy, and refreshing!

Adam had...milk. Exciting!

The apps here didn't appeal to either of us all that much. We've had countless of varieties of beer/cheese soup at home, so while it wouldn't normally be something we would order we decided to give it a try.

No picture of the beer cheese soup here. However, in Wisconsin, we know our beer and we certainly know our cheese, and this stuff was pretty awesome. Jill recommended the Pretzel bread to go with it, and oh my! I have been trying to replicate the recipe of pretzel bread ever since.

Being the huge mushroom lover that I am, I had to go with the filet with mushroom risotto.

DisneyworldAugust2010-2543.jpg

Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon - with wild mushroom risotto, white truffle and herb butter sauce $34.99

Yuummmmmmmmmmy. This did not disappoint! It was cooked a perfect medium rare, the mushroom risotto was flavorful and tender. I could have licked my bowl, but didn't.

Adam went with the New York Strip.

DisneyworldAugust2010-2545.jpg

New York Strip Steak - topped with bercy butter and served with Gruyere Yukon Gold Potato Gratin $34.99

The steak was well seasoned and properly cooked. He wished he would have asked to sub the potato gratin with my risotto as it was pretty flavorless.

Dessert was another thing that really didn't sound all that appealing for me. I'm not a fan of creme brulee because I don't like the taste of burned sugar, however I love all things maple, so I asked Jill if there was any way I could have just the creme, no brulee.

DisneyworldAugust2010-2548.jpg

Maple Creme Brulee $6.99

...and of course she delivered! Delicious custard, very creamy.

Adam, also bored with the dessert options, decided to have some fun instead and got this:

DisneyworldAugust2010-2547.jpg

Chocolate "Moose" - Chocolate Mousse rolled in Toasted Chocolate Crumbs with Maple Leaf Antlers $5.99

Final thoughts...we would consider going back again to Le Cellier. Whether or not would depend on if they added anything more exciting to the menu. If not, we would probably go back just for steaks and not use any dining plan credits.

Again, can't say enough nice things about Jill, she really made our night!

Total Cost of Meal: $109.19
Total Credits Used: 2

So, this was the morning that it really started to hit me that our adventure was starting to wind down and we started to kick everything into high gear.

Breakfast was at Kouzzina this morning, so we hopped a bus over to Hollywood Studios and took a really nice stroll over to the Boardwalk.

We had an 8:00 AM reservation, which really was totally unneccessary for our time of year. We walked in and were the only people in the place, and only one other table showed up while we were dining. A very zen start to our morning.

We both had OJ for breakfast, and I resisted the urge to try the bloody mary or sangria here, as both sounded wonderful, but would have been a bad way to start the day, seeing as it was already approaching 90.

So I jumped right into the stacked Kouzzina.

DisneyworldAugust2010-2011.jpg

Stacked Kouzzina Breakfast - Two Poached Eggs, Kalamata Olive Toast, Artichoke Spread, and Sweet Potato Hash with choice of Bacon or Chicken Sausage $11.99

I decided to have the Chicken sausage with breakfast. I was a little disappointed because I had previously seen pictures where all the little items were separate and you got to assemble them yourself. However, I really CAN'T complain, because everything was DELICIOUS! The sweet potato hash was heavenly, eggs poached properly, and the artichoke spread was very flavorful, but still light. could have done without the chicken sausage though.

Adam had this:

DisneyworldAugust2010-2012.jpg

American - Two Eggs with Breakfast Potatoes and choice of Bacon or Chicken Sausage $11.99

Very standard fare for breakfast, but was all hearty and good. He wished this would have come with sweet potato hash instead of the breakfast potatoes.

All in all, a super breakfast for us. We left feeling full, but not stuffed, and the healthy options here got us started on the right foot for the rest of the day.

Total cost of meal: $34.04
Total credits used: 2

Artist Point was another restaurant we were REALLY looking forward too. Adam is a big game hunter, so I knew he would find the options here very appealing.

I also had pre-ordered a specialty cake for Adam to come after dinner. I had reconfirmed a few days before we left on our trip, and reminded the hostess when I checked in. The cake was sort of a big deal to me. Ever since Adam was a kid, he had a strawberry cream cake from Tastee Bakery for his birthday. EVERY year. Well, Tastee Bakery went out of business last year, which sent me on a frantic search for a bakery that would make a cake with a fresh strawberry/custard filling on short notice, in the middle of December. I was wildly unsuccessful and ended up with a strawberry buttercream cake. Even though this trip was nowhere near his birthday, I saw an opportunity to redeem myself. I worked with the kitchen staff at Wilderness directly. My directions were simple: Strawberry/Custard filling, white buttercream, and the words "Celebrate the Magic" on the top. I wanted it simply decorated, nothing over the top.

I sent Adam out to take a few pictures of the resort, when our waitress came up and said "Do you want that cake to be white cake or chocolate?" I explained that I had ordered a custom cake, and she went off to straighten everything out. I was now in a panic. Oh my gosh, they don't have the cake! It was all I could think about. I wanted it to be a surprise, so I had to put on the happy face and enjoy dinner!

For apps, I had to have the soup!

DisneyworldAugust2010-2565.jpg

Smokey Portobello Soup - with Roasted Shiitakes and Chive Oil $9

This is really **Nirvana** in a little bowl of amazingness. I was totally tempted to tell the waitress that I wanted that as my entree too, but didn't.

Adam, of course, went with this:

DisneyworldAugust2010-2566.jpg

Heirloom tomato salad! He thought it was good. It was their "seasonal" app, so it no longer appears on the menu.

For mains I went with:

DisneyworldAugust2010-2567.jpg

Grilled Buffalo Striploin $43

This came with a side of totally useless fried brown rice. It was served in a sort of phyllo cup rolled on its side, which was really difficult to eat, with out grabbing onto the cup and digging in.

The buffalo was good and cooked very well.

And for Adam:
DisneyworldAugust2010-2569.jpg

Grilled Beef Tenderloin - with Zellwood Cornbread Pudding, oven-dried tomatoes, asparagus, and lemon-herb butter $41

Another winning dish here. Perfectly cooked beef and the sides went with very well.

The one downside to eating at AP on the dining plan is you also get a side with your dish. This was the only signature we encountered this at.

We both had the mac and cheese, and both had to be boxed up to go. We ended up throwing it out.

DisneyworldAugust2010-2568.jpg

So, still not knowing if we would have cake or not, the waitress came to take our dessert order. We both ordered the berry cobbler.

And then...TADA!!!

DisneyworldAugust2010-2570.jpg

Cake arrives!!! Oh and was it perfect. Exactly how it was from Tastee Bakery. I earned MAJOR points back with this. (Maybe its now a good reason to go back to DW more often!)

So, it was in the middle of the cake excitement that our real desserts arrived, so we each had a piece of cake AND the cobblers. Both were amazing and incredible. But by the time we finished, I felt like I had eaten an entire buffalo. We had our cake boxed up to take home, along with the the Mac's and then slumbered through our food coma.

Total Cost of Food (Not including specialty cake): $196.37
Total Credits Used: 6 (Will explain in a moment)
Cost of Specialty Cake: $38.34

So, it wasn't until the next morning at breakfast that we realized we got charged 6 credits at Artist Point for Dinner. So, when we got back to the hotel, we went to guest services and brought our receipt from Artist Point to show that we were only dining for 2 the previous night. Apparently due to the way the waitress entered the cake on our bill, it looked like a third person, so deducted an extra 2 credits. I also paid for the cake on my Visa card. So, the guy at guest services refunded the charge on my Visa card. It worked out well for us since we ended up canceling our lunch at Sci Fi that day, so actually had extra credits to use. Now, I certainly would not guess that it is ever an option to use your extra meal credits for cake, and sure it would never happen again, but worked well to our advantage!

I've long been a fan of AP, but the past couple of years, they've added some weird accompaniments, such as the fried rice with buffalo. Thus, we've taken to asking for a side we like better with the meal we've chosen. The servers and kitchen have always been happy to oblige. Yes, the smoky portabello soup is nearly a meal by itself. The cake was a nice touch and quite a lovely thing for you to do. I suspect it was better than the cobbler which we found lacking from how it was prepared a couple of years ago. Still, AP is very much a sentimental favorite. Thanks for the review.

Just read through up to here. Loving your reviews.

If you are still looking for guava juice, look in the mexican food section at the grocery store. They always seem to have it there, usually in cans. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter