Other Options...

There are alot of companies that sell software or services to monitor your brand or reputation on social media. You set keyword(s) and can track which sites it shows up on, where it shows up (e.g., twitter,...), what is being said, there are parsing tools to highlight positive/negative comments, etc. The software I've seen can vary in price depending on the sophistication of the tool, but can be pretty inexpensive. I'm oversimplifying, but hopefully you get the gist.

I agree with all of the points made by the previous posters. Let's see what TripAdvisor has to say about the accommodations:

GTDT - Dunkeld Country Estate gets 3.5 stars
ABD - Table Bay Hotel gets 4.5 stars
GTDT - Humala River Lodge can't find a review anywhere. Only thing I found were the "reviewers" with one post that came out of the woodwork on TripAdvisor to say positive things about GTDT. It cracks me up how someone is supposed to believe that 2, 3, 4, 5 different people all have the EXACT same writing style. Funny how they came out after someone said they were subjected to a timeshare presentation throughout their vacation to claim that doesn't happen.
ABD - Kapama River Lodge gets 5 stars
GTDT - Burgundy Apartments gets 3.5 stars
ABD - Pezula Resort Hotel & Spa gets 4.5 stars

So ABD wins the accommodations category. The Radisson Blus I have stayed at outside of the US usually get 3.5 stars on TripAdvisor. If I weren't staying for free on points from travel hacking I'd be most upset that I paid money to stay there unless it was really really cheap. I have been on 7 ABD trips and all of the accommodations have been great and a some were beyond amazing.

I doubt you will find a person that has done both an ABD South Africa tour and the GTD safari or Capetown tour. If you do it would likely be one of the "reviewers" with one post from TripAdvisor showing up here and "Earning their Ears" with a "review".

ABD is more expensive than other tour operators. Often times though, you get what you pay for. Two guides make a huge difference. There are other intangibles as well.

I don't see how the experiences can be equivalent. Anyone who is looking forward to an African safari is hoping to see the Big 5. Lions, Elephant, Leopard, Rhino, Cape Buffalo. A game reserve with no lions will not do.

I have found out that Humala Lodge is owned/managed by GTD and it opened this year - therefore that is why you can not really find any reviews. I found out that with GTD, one still has the option of staying at Katama; with Humala - 3 days safari plus one day at Majojane; with Katama - three day safari.

GTD stated they are the largest tour company dealing with North American tourists taking tours in South Africa (whether safari or otherwise); over 1000 tours per year!

They believe in their tours are the best luxury tours (NOT budget tours) in terms of cost and quality (which company would not believe so - I am sure that ABD believes that is so for their company). So they ask all of the customers taking their tours to forward feedback within a short period of time after they have completed their tours. They state that very few of their reviews are worse then good or excellent. They try to deal with the few reviews expeditiously if they are worse than good. You will find very few negative reviews (except perhaps cost, which is the case for ABD as well) in other fora - including one thread on tripadvisor.com

Does ABD follow through with feedback - I would be interested in these reviews - whether for the South Africa tours or for any other tours.

Last edited:
I have found out that Humala Lodge is owned/managed by GTD and it opened this year - therefore that is why you can not really find any reviews. I found out that with GTD, one still has the option of staying at Katama; with Humala - 3 days safari plus one day at Majojane; with Katama - three day safari.

They believe in their tours are the best luxury tours (NOT budget tours) in terms of cost and quality (which company would not believe so - I am sure that ABD believes that is so for their company). So they ask all of the customers taking their tours to forward feedback within a short period of time after they have completed their tours. They state that very few of their reviews are worse then good or excellent. They try to deal with the few reviews expeditiously if they are worse than good. You will find very few negative reviews (except perhaps cost, which is the case for ABD as well) in other fora - including one thread on tripadvisor.com

Does ABD follow through with feedback - I would be interested in these reviews - whether for the South Africa tours or for any other tours.

Well if you insist on keeping this subject alive, may I suggest you take a look at the reviews for the Burgundy Apartments in Cape Town:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...y_Apartments-Bloubergstrand_Western_Cape.html

Now let's take a look at the lovely Victoria & Albert Hotel that ABD uses on the V&A Waterfront (location, location, location):

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...red_Hotel-Cape_Town_Central_Western_Cape.html

And don't even get me started on the fact that you are virtually stranded at the apartment complex since it is a 20 minute drive from anywhere. For SEVEN nights. With no amenities. They consider this luxury? Really? I think I have a completely different interpretation of the word. I'd be miserable there for just one night; I can't fathom staying there 7 nights. I would never even consider staying at an apartment complex so far removed from everything.

I must hasten to add that any tour company that considers a Hop on Hop off bus tour part of a guided tour is certainly one that I wouldn't ever use.

WRT to feedback. ABD sends a survey to everyone at the end of their trip. They take the feedback received from this survey very seriously.

There are plenty of new hotels and lodges that have opened in the past year that have dozens of reviews on TA. I don't understand how the very remote Humala Lodge doesn't have a single one. I find that strange in and of itself. As an aside you do understand that Humala is a tented camp? Far different than Kapama which is a 5* luxury resort.

At the risk of repeating myself, I would take an ABD South Africa tour over GTD. As a matter of fact I would never even consider GTD.

You should also know that the Songimelvo Reserve is very remote. It is located on the border of S. Africa and Swaziland (nowhere near Kruger NP). If you are headed here then I would seriously suggest flying into Nelspruit and having GTD drive you to the reserve as the drive from JNB would be long and likely most uncomfortable on many of the roads.

Of course they won't do this because they break up the drive from JNB to the reserve with 3 wasted days touring some isolated "attraction". And guest what? Surprise, surprise. From an August, 2016 review of the Dunkeld Estates: "As humans we can addapt to adverse situations, and so we should. However, when paying good money to come and rest, this is NOT what one has in mind! One can only hope that postings on a forum like this would get the guys of Go Touchdown to get off their Laurels and pull up their sock!!!"

Wait a minute. GTD has a vested interest in this property as well? Well, go on TA yourself and read the reviews for this property. It sounds like it is well past its heyday and is in need of some serious improvements. Also sounds like a time share resort.

Plus there are no lions in this isolated reserve. Do you really want to go on a safari and not see any lions? Without trying to be cliche, I often think of the Elton John song, Circle of Life, when I think of a safari. Which of course brings to mind Lion King. So a safari without lions, to me at least, wouldn't be a safari. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
I just finished reading through a few of the reviews of the budget accommodations that GTD uses in Cape Town, namely the Burgundy Apartments, and lo and behold, guess who has replied to a few of the negative reviews? I am pretty sure it wouldn't shock anyone on here if I said it was none other than GTD.

Am I the only one who sees a HUGE conflict of interest here? GTD either owns or is a shareholder in the Burgundy Apartments AND the Humala Lodge. To each their own I suppose but there is NO WAY I'd even consider this company.

As an aside ABD has SOLD OUT all of their summer, 2017 itineraries. They were fully booked almost a year in advance. That speaks volumes.

I will reiterate that the tour ABD offers is a VERY good itinerary. It covers the highlights of South Africa in a well laid out tour. They have selected luxury accommodations in excellent locations. I believe the price is worth every penny for what they offer. WRT to GTD: caveat emptor.

GTD stated they are the largest tour company dealing with North American tourists taking tours in South Africa (whether safari or otherwise); over 1000 tours per year!

Ok if that's the reason why then how do you explain other properties that just opened up this year and have reviews? This place also opened up this year. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...eviews-Chobe_Water_Villas-Caprivi_Region.html They only have 16 water villas and already have 8 reviews on tripadvisor. You would think an operation running 1000 tours a year which is nearly 20 per week would have at least some reviews that could be found.

Luxury??? I don't think that word means what they think it means. All you have to do is compare the properties they list with what ABD lists. There is no comparison.

I have received a survey for every ABD I have done. Before I ever went on my first ABD I had concerns about an itinerary change and reached out to them. They followed up with me and were wonderful. You can find reviews on various ABD trips in the sticky titled Links to ABD Trip Reports. There are a couple of trip reports on South Africa in there.

Does anyone here have experience with different tour companies for travel within the US? I've read through the thread and a lot of the experiences discussed are of overseas travel. I'm thinking about a Grand Canyon or other national parks trip for 2018, when my youngest will be 5, and I'd like to go with a group tour if I can find one I like that's affordable.

Does anyone here have experience with different tour companies for travel within the US? I've read through the thread and a lot of the experiences discussed are of overseas travel. I'm thinking about a Grand Canyon or other national parks trip for 2018, when my youngest will be 5, and I'd like to go with a group tour if I can find one I like that's affordable.

Nat Geo does have a number of really nice looking US based trips. Also you could take a look at G Adventures.

We are trying Austin Adventures in 2018. I can't recommend because we have not gone yet. They have lots of domestic itineraries and were really great through the booking process. We are doing Scotland but their prices are a bit lower than ABD. Generally, the trips are a bit shorter, too.

There is an European Co called " Trailfinders " who do Tours within USA & Canada .

Maybe you could join one of there tours .... starting in USA .

They also do World Wide tours ... so look them up.

We have done a few ABD. We have also done Gate 1 travel, YMT tours and we are currently looking at Caravan for National Parks and tours in the US. I would recommend all of these companies. No pixie dust but they do offer good tours with good accommodations and we have been pleased with what they offer at very affordable prices. In August we did thhe Pacific Northwest from Seattle to San Francisco with Gate 1. It was a wonderful trip. Everything is on their website from hotels to itineraries to airfare flights if you want to add that. Travel insurance is also available.

You might also take a look at Backroads. They do a lot of Europe, also, but have a larger inventory of US trips than ABD. Their trips tend to be more active than cultural, so it depends on what you're looking for. They're not cheap, and their trips tend to be shorter (5 to 6 days) but ABD seemed to have based a lot of their original operating policies on Backroads. Chris Brown, one of ABD's long time Adventure Guides also guided for Backroads.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter