• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT: Hug your kids

roomthreeseventeen

Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
This happened in Borough Park, Brooklyn (where I lived briefly before I met my husband) and is all over our local news.

It was the little boy's first day walking home from school by himself, and he was kidnapped. When the kidnapper realized the extent of the police investigation, he panicked and killed the child.

I don't have kids yet, and this makes me really upset. The Orthodox Jewish community in Brooklyn is a very tight knit group, and with the holidays coming up, this is not only an awful reminder of how short and dangerous life can be, but a real wake up call to anyone who is a little lax about their security these days.

apparently the killer was a 'known' child molester...

such a sad story - he'd asked his parents' permission to walk home by himself...
so sad...the parents must be absolutely destroyed that they gave in to him and let him walk alone...

I don't care what you were told....

There really are Monsters in our world.

I heard about this, and it turns my stomach. The poor baby & his family....I can't even imagine. :(

Maybe I'm off base, but I'd never let my 8 year old walk anywhere alone. I don't trust my 10 yo in a parking lot.

All of my friends tell me I am over protective of my children, but THIS is why I'm so careful with them. They are mine to love and protect.

I feel horrible for the family.

Maybe I'm off base, but I'd never let my 8 year old walk anywhere alone. I don't trust my 10 yo in a parking lot.

The walk from his school to the meeting place was literally eight blocks, in a very nice neighborhood. Tons of kids in New York take the bus to different boroughs when they are younger than 10.

We don't live very far from NYC and this crime is sickening. At the very least thr animal that did this has been caught. I can't imagine what it's like to lose your child, let alone in such a horrible way. My deepest sympathies and heartfelt condolences go out to this boy's family.

I was so sad to hear of this story on the news. My heart and prayers of strength go out to his dear parents. I can not imagine how devastated they must be. My DH called me from work today just to tell me thank you for being so over "protective." Now, This may be a little OT but: let's take a moment to think about all of the many debates right here on the Dis about bringing "all" of your kids(including the boys) into the bathroom i.e. the ladies room w/you in WDW if you are traveling alone w/ the kids. Things can go wrong real fast at anytime.

I saw this on the news tonight. What a mess and a horrific murder (I won't go into the details here, but they are on Eyewitness News' website).

apparently the killer was a 'known' child molester...

This must be something they just found out. It wasn't reported at 6. They said he was originally from the south and known as "weird." :confused3

Oh my, this is just horrid!
My heart crys in sympathy for the family as they struggle with a parent's worst nightmare. This is a tragedy for their whole community.

(yes, hug, love and protect your children. But remember that most children walk safely home every day. Don't helicopter your kids. Allow them to have progressive independence.)

Oh my, this is just horrid!
My heart crys in sympathy for the family as they struggle with a parent's worst nightmare. This is a tragedy for their whole community.

(yes, hug, love and protect your children. But remember that most children walk safely home every day. Don't helicopter your kids. Allow them to have progressive independence.)

Yes, horrific, but please, children need to grow and have a sense of independence. I walked to school, my children walked to school (always with friends).
I don't believe this type of abduction is new, we just hear about ALL of them now because of the 24 news channels.

Those poor parents do not need to be judged for letting thier child try his wings.

I was on the same street last week. It is a busy street, but filled with families - strollers, children, family-friendly shopping. One would never think anything bad could happen there.

I don't know about any other parents out there, but as a Dad, I feel like I had the rug pulled out from under me. I feel so powerless all of a sudden.

Terrible. Just terrible.

Baruch dayan emet.

I have a lot of family and friends in the Chassidic Community, so the "missing child" poster was all over my Facebook last night. This is just such a sad and horrific end to the story. I can't imagine what his family is going through...

Sayhello

I totally agree. As much as I feel for the parents who must be in agony, I don't know what they were thinking. I don't even let my 13yr old walk alone, you just never know!

Can someone who is familiar with the legal system please explain why this man is going to be charged for second degree murder? I'm not sure of the differences between first and second, but it seems to me that this was such a heinous crime that he should face the highest charges. There is also no question of his guilt because he confessed to doing it and showed the police where the child's remains were. Am I missing something?

Don, I do agree with you - however, city kids are a little different. They are usually more street savvy, and/or independant. Some city kids take the city bus, or subway to school by themselves, so it's not unusual for them to be walking to/from school alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter