OT - How to fix snaps on pants that won't stay snapped

You need to pund the "male" part of the snap with a hammer, and something over the snap. This should flatten it down just enough that it will stay put. I had a pair of pants that did the same thing and that fixed them.

You need to pund the "male" part of the snap with a hammer, and something over the snap. This should flatten it down just enough that it will stay put. I had a pair of pants that did the same thing and that fixed them.

This works...but I would suggest tapping once (gently) with the hammer and then trying the snap. You can always tap that metal nub a little flatter, but once you have pounded it too hard you can't unflatten it. Good luck! In years gone by I have fixed many snaps this way...anyone remember when all the toddler boy outfits had snaps up and down the inner seams of the pants so that you could get at their diapers to change them?

Incidentally you can also pry the inside of the female part of the snap with a tiny screwdriver. Usually there are four tiny fins which need to be pushed so that the hole in the middle is a tad smaller. I only mention this because it is more forgiving if you overdo it and make the snap too tight. You do need to be careful because if the screwdriver slips you make a hole in the fabric, and if you have to make many tries before you get it right, one of the fins may break off.

Disney hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

I have returned pants that have defective or weak snaps and the store is usually happy to take them back even if they have been worn. Just did it at Gymboree the other day. Had the most annoying pair of overalls for my son. He couldn't move in them without them completely coming apart. The sales girl apologized profusely and said that the company is happy when someone complains because then they know which snaps not to buy for their clothing.

I've had good success adjusting the female half with needle-nose-type pliers that I use for upholstering :)

Here's a zombie thread for you.
I googled "fix a loose snap."
The very first option that came up was DISboards.
By the way, the tip did to fix the pants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter