• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Osborne lights - its the last year

I have a theory...and it may be nothing more than wishful thinking than anything, but I can't help but think that Disney has something up their sleeve with this one. In the past, they've been very selective about the comments they'll post, making sure to weed out the majority of the negative comments (even if well written and appropriate). Well, the posts on that parks blog link are up to about 152 (148 being from regular people) and the majority are people upset over the lights being pulled. Now we all suspected this would happen with the announcement of Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land, but it makes me wonder if Disney is working on a plan to revamp and relocate them. Personally, I'd love to see them dancing in the World Showcase in Epcot. I'm sure I'm overthinking this and grasping at straws, but what if I'm not? What if there really is something to them green lighting all of these negative posts on their parks blog post.

Aww, that's too bad. Mos def gonna make sure to see it one last time this year.

I'm so grateful I got to experience the lights as many times as I did growing up, but I'm with you @TiggerTrigger! I can't help but at least hope they have a secret plan. I personally find it hard to believe that the expansion is reason enough to stop the tradition completely; why not set them up on a smaller scale at Disney Springs? Or maybe head over to Epcot for a while and decorate World Showcase? There are certainly other options and I hope they're taking them into consideration.

I have a theory...and it may be nothing more than wishful thinking than anything, but I can't help but think that Disney has something up their sleeve with this one. In the past, they've been very selective about the comments they'll post, making sure to weed out the majority of the negative comments (even if well written and appropriate). Well, the posts on that parks blog link are up to about 152 (148 being from regular people) and the majority are people upset over the lights being pulled. Now we all suspected this would happen with the announcement of Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land, but it makes me wonder if Disney is working on a plan to revamp and relocate them. Personally, I'd love to see them dancing in the World Showcase in Epcot. I'm sure I'm overthinking this and grasping at straws, but what if I'm not? What if there really is something to them green lighting all of these negative posts on their parks blog post.
I was thinking maybe relocation too, but I figured it was too good to hope for. I also miss the Lights of Winter Arches at Epcot, like Kathy Wehrling, and this would sure make up for their absence a bit! :)

I can't think of any good place where it would be appropriate to decorate.
Even if Disney Springs was finished now, theres no big space to decorate buildings with a bunch of lights that doesn't obscure the buildings.
It just works at where its at now because it's just city facades.

No place really at Epcot, either.

I can't think of any good place where it would be appropriate to decorate.
Even if Disney Springs was finished now, theres no big space to decorate buildings with a bunch of lights that doesn't obscure the buildings.
It just works at where its at now because it's just city facades.

No place really at Epcot, either.

They'd look great in the NYC section of Universal Studios.

I have seen the Osborne Lights almost every holiday season since 1997 - except in 2003 when Residential Street was torn down to make room for Lights, Motors, Action. I will miss them a lot.

I don't understand this move at all. The new additions will not effect where the lights are located. I think this is a bad move on WDW. During the construction and revamp of the park, why even go. This could have helped bring people into the park during the months of November and December . Bad move IMHO.

I'd imagine that by the time they usually start putting up the lights next year, that space will be a construction zone, even if its just partially blocked off.

This breaks my heart . I'm all for change however Osborne lights are just something amazing . They immediately put you into the holiday spirit . I signed every petition that I saw requesting Disney to please relocate these . This is one of the things that made Disney magical! Hoping for some pixie dust to keep them around .

Something else crossed my mind...

This is making news everywhere and I'm seeing all kinds of people throwing together last minute trips to see the lights one last time. Again...no guarantees...but I wonder how closely Disney is going to be be looking at these numbers. i.e. will a noticeable spike in attendance/bookings have any impact? Just a thought.

will a noticeable spike in attendance/bookings have any impact?
Nope. Decision is already made and they won't change their mind.

People making special trips for that one last showing actually make this a counter-argument. A one-time blip doesn't do anything for them since they can't keep it going.

When you factor in attendance at Osbourne, I just can't see this going away forever. Still though, where would it go? World Showcase is too long and spread out, MK is already extremely busy at Christmas time, and AK is busy with construction. The only thing I can figure out is perhaps Downtown Disney. However, would they really put them there knowing that it's free to enter? I can't see that happening. What a conundrum.

Buy a huge barge. Put Osborne Lights on the barge from November through NYE. Power that bad boy up and let it chase the Electric Water Pageant around Seven Seas Lagoon each night like Pac-Man.

*mic drop*

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter