Options for child's birthday during DVC vacation.

Matty B13

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if there were any special "options" for my daughters birthday when we will be staying at VGF next May? Or anything else that is available for a child's birthday during a Disney vacation.

You could order a special cake to be delivered to your room or the birthday dinner. You could also order something special from Disney florists. You should have it noted on your reservation and get a birthday button, but other than what I previously mentioned nothing is guaranteed and there is nothing DVC specific.

Not sure of budget, but if its more of a splurge, the Disney Floral & Gifts crew do a really amazing job. They have many packages for all sorts of reasons, and theme packages too - and will customize. They'll set it up in your room while you're out too.
If you're more budget conscious, checking out their site might give you some inspiration for DIY too...

We did a Welcome Home DVC package for our first DVC stay (it was a good surprise for DH and the kids) and it was indeed a special splurge that I probably wouldn't do again, but it sure was awesome!

Not sure how special you are looking for? When we went for our son's second birthday, we noted it on our resort reservation - mostly because they asked! At Tusker House breakfast our server confirmed with me that it was his birthday (it was that actual day) and then at the end of the meal they gave him a cupcake and a birthday card "signed" by the characters.

On our own, we hopped over to Disney Springs (downtown Disney at the time) and picked up cupcakes for our own celebration that evening in the room.

And again on his actual birthday (not all week - though certainly some kids might enjoy it for that long), he did wear a special button and every CM we saw wished him a happy birthday.

We are returning this year for his fifth birthday and once again we have noted on the resort and birthday dining reservation that it is his birthday. If the restaurant does anything special then great (I suspect he'll get a shout out as we are doing HDDR on his birthday and they do have a bit on birthdays at the start of the show). If not, we'll still be picking up some cupcakes again at Disney Springs (along with a Buzz Lightyear doll, which was his request for his birthday). We'll certainly ask for the button again as well. But we won't do anything more - after all he's only five and already getting a trip to Disney for his birthday. We don't want to set the bar tooooo high just yet. :)

Not sure how special you are looking for? When we went for our son's second birthday, we noted it on our resort reservation - mostly because they asked! At Tusker House breakfast our server confirmed with me that it was his birthday (it was that actual day) and then at the end of the meal they gave him a cupcake and a birthday card "signed" by the characters.

On our own, we hopped over to Disney Springs (downtown Disney at the time) and picked up cupcakes for our own celebration that evening in the room.

And again on his actual birthday (not all week - though certainly some kids might enjoy it for that long), he did wear a special button and every CM we saw wished him a happy birthday.

We are returning this year for his fifth birthday and once again we have noted on the resort and birthday dining reservation that it is his birthday. If the restaurant does anything special then great (I suspect he'll get a shout out as we are doing HDDR on his birthday and they do have a bit on birthdays at the start of the show). If not, we'll still be picking up some cupcakes again at Disney Springs (along with a Buzz Lightyear doll, which was his request for his birthday). We'll certainly ask for the button again as well. But we won't do anything more - after all he's only five and already getting a trip to Disney for his birthday. We don't want to set the bar tooooo high just yet. :)
Yeah that is what I'm afraid of to........ But most likely will be the only time we will be there for her birthday in May, doesn't fall on any of the school vacations.

Those are some good suggestions, thanks for the advice.

One thing that I did once that didn't cost any money was let my son plan the whole entire day. He loved it, and it opened my eyes to what was important to him. He was five at the time. If I had planned his perfect day, it would have included 10 times in a row on the Barnstormer. His perfect day didn't even involve a park. We had ice cream for breakfast, spent hours and hours making race cars at the Lego store, spent a surprising amount of time in the hotel room moving things around with his Mickey hand grabber toy, and went swimming at night even though it was January and freezing.

It could be cool to let your daughter have total control of everything for her special day. It would definitely be memorable.

One thing that I did once that didn't cost any money was let my son plan the whole entire day. He loved it, and it opened my eyes to what was important to him. He was five at the time. If I had planned his perfect day, it would have included 10 times in a row on the Barnstormer. His perfect day didn't even involve a park. We had ice cream for breakfast, spent hours and hours making race cars at the Lego store, spent a surprising amount of time in the hotel room moving things around with his Mickey hand grabber toy, and went swimming at night even though it was January and freezing.

It could be cool to let your daughter have total control of everything for her special day. It would definitely be memorable.

I love this. Amazing.

Go on a fireworks cruise, they can hang a happy birthday banner on the boat and you can have extra special drinks or food included.

:earsboy: Bill

Don't know how old she is but we are celebrating our daughters 5th birthday on our next trip. We are splurging with BBB and then the perfectly princess tea party at GF.

Just got back celebrating GDs (early 6th BD). Noted it on reservation. She is oh-so over princesses & BBB, has done the princess, pirate & mermaid makeovers - later two she really liked.

Dining recognized it thusly:

CM dinner - signed card and complimentary light up ice cube in her drink

T-Rex dinner - free cupcake, staff delivery via singing and clapping, she loved it. Moreso, when I offered a birthday Dino @ the build-a-bear location there.

Coral Reef - again, a free decorated cupcake & added the little mermaid light up to her drink

Had small, wrapped Disney gifts waiting on her pillow each morning when I woke her up that went over very well (trading pins, hair stuff, small plush, candy, light up stuff for parks at night)

Just got back celebrating GDs (early 6th BD). Noted it on reservation. She is oh-so over princesses & BBB, has done the princess, pirate & mermaid makeovers - later two she really liked.

Dining recognized it thusly:

CM dinner - signed card and complimentary light up ice cube in her drink

T-Rex dinner - free cupcake, staff delivery via singing and clapping, she loved it. Moreso, when I offered a birthday Dino @ the build-a-bear location there.

Coral Reef - again, a free decorated cupcake & added the little mermaid light up to her drink

Had small, wrapped Disney gifts waiting on her pillow each morning when I woke her up that went over very well (trading pins, hair stuff, small plush, candy, light up stuff for parks at night)
That sounds awesome!!! I'm sure she loved it.

We went for both my daughter's actual birthdays. We did the 'Kitchen Sink" with each of them in lieu of a birthday cake and Beaches and Cream made a big deal out of it both times, bringing balloons and singing happy birthday as they brought it out. The trip was their main gift, and we didn't pre-arrange anything extra, but we did mention the birthdays on our reservation both times. Because I cook most meals in the room, we didn't plan a dinner out but did do a character breakfast on my youngest's birthday. However, Disney went above and beyond and made it extra magical. With my eldest daughter 'Mickey' left her a birthday card, birthday button, and balloons in our room at BLT. later when we entered the candy store on Main street the castmember said Mickey had a gift for her and let her pick one of any of the marshmallow treats or apples from behind the counter. With my other daughter's birthday trip, on the morning of her birthday she awoke to a birthday gift bag and card being delivered from Mickey (and the staff at AKL - J). It was chocolates, stickers, and a giant tub of gummies (we had mentioned she couldn't eat chocolate when chatting with the concierge the night before). These were complete surprises for us, too. Those were just the big things - there were so many delightful little extras - like just as I was reminding my daughter of the 'you get what you get and don't get upset' rule for colours of ride vehicles, the castmember approached us saying 'Princess R, I believe you reserved a purple magic carpet' and ushered her on to the colour she wanted. We had a reservation at Crystal Palace on the trip for our youngest's birthday and inadvertently chose a shoulder time. We were shocked when castmembers and all four Winnie the Pooh characters came to the table and presented her with a birthday cupcake and signed card. Then the characters unhurriedly waltzed with the girls around that area of the restaurant. It is these magic moments - not planned and not expected - that have been some of the most treasured memories of our Disney trips, and they are the reason we keep coming back. To keep it to a special birthday thing, we did not let them wear their birthday buttons beyond the actual day of their birthday, so don't know what else might have happenned had we let them.

I know things have changed over the years, but we have consistently had these wonderful extra magic encounters. That is not to say we haven't had rough experiences as well. We certainly have. But the good has always outweighed the bad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the best place to call to get a cake made? Our DD will turn 4 in Dec while we all are at AKL. I did not think about getting her a cake made until I read this post.

We went once for DS's birthday. We had a cake delivered that we had in the room (and I had packed candles & matches to bring). I forget now where I called to order it. We also got the birthday button at the parks which he wore like the whole trip so he got wished happy birthday like 100 times and then we had his birthday dinner at T-Rex which was just sort of fun (and the only time we've eaten there). The trip in itself replaced having a party as by that time he was aging out of the party every year phase. He is also a May baby so hard to go somewhere for an extended time - we went over Memorial Day weekend and tacked on Tuesday so that he only misssed 1 day of school and we were able to squeeze as much as we could out of the airfare. Have fun!!

Does anyone know the best place to call to get a cake made? Our DD will turn 4 in Dec while we all are at AKL. I did not think about getting her a cake made until I read this post.

HERE is the link to the current cake chatter thread on the Restaurants Board. The first and second post list all the numbers for having a cake delivered basically anywhere on property. HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter