Opinions please

Vicky68

Earning My Ears
Hi all! It has been quite awhile since my family and I were at Disney. In February we are actually spending a week at Universal but we are thinking about spending a day at Hollywood studios. With all of the changes and closings, is it worth the money for a one day ticket? We are a family of 4 DD 23DS21, we went to Epcot for a day 2 yrs ago and don't want to do that again. Is Hollywood studios worth it? Mind you we will not have a car and will be relying on shuttle service so we won't be able to leave at any time. Thanks!

If anyone in your family is into Star Wars or loves shows then I'd say yes. If you don't like shows and you're only going for the few rides they have, that seems like a lot of money to me to waste.

Personally, no. Attractions have been closed almost as quickly as prices have been raised. There are certainly worthwhile things in the park, unfortunately they do not justify the price of a one-day park ticket.

We did just that in December. Five days in US and one day at DHS. However, we were mostly interested in Osbourne Lights, but spent the rest of the day doing the other rides and visiting the new Star Wars area and watching the Frozen show, which were new to us. It was well worth our day. Not sure what it will be like when you go.

It can be, but only if you like the shows. Fantasmic! is my favorite show on property, but with only 5 actual rides, DHS can definitely feel a little hollow. Then again, one of those rides is Tower of Terror, which is one of the best ones there is. Us regular visitors get tired of seeing the same show over and over, so DHS becomes a "half-day park" for a lot of us, but you can still make a full day out of it if you want to see it all.

Personally, yes, I think it's worth it. "All the recent closures" amounts to three that I can think of: the backlot tour (which closed over a year ago), the Magic of Animation (which also closed over a year ago and was replaced with Star Wars Launch Bay), and Lights, Motors, Action. Most attractions are still there. There are walls up now and from what I've read the traffic flow might not be as good, since Pixar Place and Muppet Courtyard both end up as dead ends, but to me, there is still plenty to do there. But, Tower of Terror is my favorite ride in all of Disney and the Indy stunt show never gets old for me, so perhaps I'm a little biased.

I have a hard time believing that any of the parks are worth a one-day ticket price.

It's funny, because a similar topic came up about HS being worth spending a full day, and I felt pretty strongly that it was worth it... when staying at Disney for a week with the price per day reduced significantly.

Make a list of everything you would do at HS, do your own cost-value analysis and decide from there.

Personally, yes, I think it's worth it. "All the recent closures" amounts to three that I can think of: the backlot tour (which closed over a year ago), the Magic of Animation (which also closed over a year ago and was replaced with Star Wars Launch Bay), and Lights, Motors, Action. Most attractions are still there. There are walls up now and from what I've read the traffic flow might not be as good, since Pixar Place and Muppet Courtyard both end up as dead ends, but to me, there is still plenty to do there. But, Tower of Terror is my favorite ride in all of Disney and the Indy stunt show never gets old for me, so perhaps I'm a little biased.
Just wanted to re quote this!

OP- please research HS for yourself. The "All of the closed attractions" that people keep speaking of really don't amount to much. And more importantly--- more STAR WARS has been added!!!!! (Unless no one in your family is a SW fan, then that might not matter lol).

Even without SW, all of the major rides are there, as well as pretty much everything else.

For clarity's sake, when people say "Star Wars is added," they do not mean the previously-announced but still years away Star Wars Land. They are referring to a couple of character meets, a gallery of movie props, and a fireworks show. The value of these additions is certainly subjective, but it is an important distinction to make.

I don't like star wars or watching shows, so for me it's never been more than a half day park. If I didn't have hoppers I would just lament the loss of tower of terror and never go.

Thanks everyone I appreciate the input. My daughter just mentioned we could always go to Disney Springs for part of that day also if we find ourselves with time to kill. Excited to be planning again!

Only you can decide what is right for you.

We've done many split WDW/US vacations, but we only think it is worth doing with a car at our disposal.

I say this as someone who recently revisited this idea in the last year, and affirmed that we were MUCH better off renting a car than trying to go between the parks without one.

Here's my short breakdown:
1. There' is no other efficient way to go between the two locations, though even a car is far from ideal. Orlando desperately needs a quality mass transit system!
2. I'm not sure how you are getting to US, but rental car = our best value. A car means you can also go other places- like the grocery store.
3. Shuttles = big delays. You either lose a good deal of sleep, or a good deal of park time. Not just any old park time, but the MOST valuable park time. Peripheral park hours (early mornings and late nights) are worth much more than the middle hours.

So in addition to thinking about what attractions you want to visit, and where you'd like to eat, I'd also evaluate the pros and cons of your transportation options.

Over the years, we have gone back and forth when it comes to eating off park property. I always consider time costs. Disney prices are so high, and WDW food so overpriced, that we really appreciate eating at least one meal offsite.

It's hard for me to evaluate because I always go on a multi-day ticket, where the per-day costs are greatly reduced. I think all of the shows are high quality, assuming you like the content - I.e. Disney Junior is great for littles, not so much for your ages. Lights, Motor Action is fun, but loud and car-focused, which you may or may not enjoy, etc. if you like all types of shows, you can spend a full day easily, but I find that park most challenging to plan due to organizing all the show times. I think it's a great park (would hate to have a trip without Tower of Terror and I'm eager to see Star Wars fireworks!) but I also think it's probably the most likely to be a dud if you try to just wander in and "see what you feel like doing"

Thanks everyone I appreciate the input. My daughter just mentioned we could always go to Disney Springs for part of that day also if we find ourselves with time to kill. Excited to be planning again!
That would be perfect! I agree with people who say that it isn't an "open to close" park. We will be there before rope drop to sign up for Jedi Training. Stay a few hours and take a break to Disney springs or Epcot. Come back in evening for dinner, a few more rides, and then Fantasmic.

Happy Planning! :)

Welcome to the boards! :welcome:

Something to consider: "all the closures" amount to two rides and a playground.

FYI there's no direct Disney transportation to Disney Springs, but you can easily walk or take the boat to Swan/Dolphin & catch a DS bus there. Same for return from DS to HS.

Welcome to the boards! :welcome:

Something to consider: "all the closures" amount to two rides and a playground.
Is there a decent list? I can only think of backlot tour as a ride - whats's the second one? Then playground, Lights, Motor Action; American Idol, reduction in streetmosphere citizens, Animation Academy gone but One Man's Dream still there, right? I suppose you could also count Pizza Planet :crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter