Opinions on flying or Auto Train, please

AJKMOM

DIS Veteran
Checking in to AKV in 12-2, we currently have Southwest airline reservations. However, my son is autistic and my husband has lupus, and had a stroke. I am thinking of postponing the flight and taking the Auto Train. Any opinions on which would be safer from virus if we all stayed in roommettes?

We are thinking of doing the train down in November instead of flying as well.
In a room, you will not be in close quarters with other passengers like on the plane.
You would need two roommettes or maybe a family room for 3 of you.
We enjoy the train as part of the vacation and it's great to have your own car and pack as much as you want. Much more relaxing than flying.

Wishing you all a safe magical visit. Family used auto train twice. Thought first experience may have been just a fluke as it was not positive. Loading of vehicle was ok. We were told to request 2nd level which was a good choice, less claustrophobic and less crowded. However, people really were thinking it was there own personal space rather than a public shared space. The second time was worse. Seats nearer to a bathroom and others with poor hygiene habits. The food car was good and it was nice being able to move about. That was the two experiences and as they say, never again.
I hope ur trips are much better.

Wishing you all a safe magical visit. Family used auto train twice. Thought first experience may have been just a fluke as it was not positive. Loading of vehicle was ok. We were told to request 2nd level which was a good choice, less claustrophobic and less crowded. However, people really were thinking it was there own personal space rather than a public shared space. The second time was worse. Seats nearer to a bathroom and others with poor hygiene habits. The food car was good and it was nice being able to move about. That was the two experiences and as they say, never again.
I hope ur trips are much better.
Were you in coach, or sleepers? Coach travel and sleeper travel are two completely different experiences. And was this before or after COVID?

We've taken the Auto Train a few times. We did it more for the experience than anything. We've done coach multiple times & a family bedroom once. We definitely liked the family bedroom better. It was nice to be able to shut the door for privacy. We never had a bad experience on the train. Getting back to your question though, IMO I would think that a plane would be the better choice. I feel that the plane is cleaner than the train. Also your time in the plane = 2+ hours vs. your time on the train 17+ hours. I guess you could isolate yourself on the train to your room, but you will likely wander into the common areas(bathroom, dining car, stretch your legs) from time to time which would be no different than being on a plane.

Also your time in the plane = 2+ hours vs. your time on the train 17+ hours. I guess you could isolate yourself on the train to your room, but you will likely wander into the common areas(bathroom, dining car, stretch your legs) from time to time which would be no different than being on a plane.
I've heard that meals are being brought to your room, so no social mixing in the diner.

On the AT, roomettes and the family bedroom don't have private baths, so one would have to use the shared toilets. Everyone should be wearing a mask when outside of their room; passing in the hallway, while close, would be brief. COVID transmissibilty via surface contact (as in the bathrooms) is said to be much less of a concern than face-to-face.

Standard bedrooms have an en-suite private bath. They're really designed to sleep 2 in upper and lower bunks, but a 3rd person can squeeze into the wider lower bunk if you don't mind crowding together. Some bedrooms can be connected into a 2-room suite, but that could get expensive for 3 people. Another option would be to get 1 bedroom and 1 roomette in the same car for sleeping, and share the bedroom's bath. (If you want a single bedroom for 3 people, you may need to make reservations by phone or at a staffed station rather than online.) Here are the bunk dimensions for the bedroom: https://www.amtrak.com/superliner-bedroom

I've heard that meals are being brought to your room, so no social mixing in the diner.

On the AT, roomettes and the family bedroom don't have private baths, so one would have to use the shared toilets. Everyone should be wearing a mask when outside of their room; passing in the hallway, while close, would be brief. COVID transmissibilty via surface contact (as in the bathrooms) is said to be much less of a concern than face-to-face.

Standard bedrooms have an en-suite private bath. They're really designed to sleep 2 in upper and lower bunks, but a 3rd person can squeeze into the wider lower bunk if you don't mind crowding together. Some bedrooms can be connected into a 2-room suite, but that could get expensive for 3 people. Another option would be to get 1 bedroom and 1 roomette in the same car for sleeping, and share the bedroom's bath. (If you want a single bedroom for 3 people, you may need to make reservations by phone or at a staffed station rather than online.) Here are the bunk dimensions for the bedroom: https://www.amtrak.com/superliner-bedroom
This looks better than what I saw the first time I looked, thanks!

A caution on the autotrain that maybe no one needs except me. I made auto train reservations for our February trip, and we have had to cancel. While the Amtrak website says that you can "book without worry - there are no fees for trip changes" that does not hold true for trip cancellations. I'm out $500. Don't be like me.

In case anyone is thinking about taking the autotrain in the near future they have dropped the price on the southbound trip until March 12 to one $9 !! ( they did drop the car price though). Even so, a pretty good deal.

We will have three adults in our car going north in October and when DH called to make reservations, it seemed the only way my DSis would have been able to get on the train was if she had a car. You mention getting a 1 bedroom and a roomette and that sounds perfect!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter